Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 07:25 PM
BA73
Racer

Received 238 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 987SCoupe
Man, that lemonade is going to need a lot of sugar!
VODKA
The following 6 users liked this post by BA73:
987SCoupe (04-02-2021), Alpha Ice (04-03-2021), JPMD (04-02-2021), P-car-Vancouver (04-02-2021), UncleDude (04-02-2021), XLR82XS (04-23-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-02-2021, 07:29 PM
johnycarrera
Advanced

Received 172 Likes on 39 Posts

The above 3-6 month delay is a really sore one! I hope it’s nothing like that!

people in Scotland (my country) are already taking delivery of post 4th March build date unaffected cars!

im beyond angry now that they are getting do drive around in theirs when we’ve got no resolution and potential huge delays!

no offer of a loan car in fact **** all but silence 🤬
The following users liked this post:
wdr911 (04-03-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 09:35 PM
QWKFLAT6
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
It’s being reported that 800-1000 4.0L 718s are affected worldwide — sounds like every one made during those published dates.

Since this is primarily a North American forum..generally only discuss what’s relevant to us.
My Spyder was built during this timeframe (end of January) and is not involved in the stop sale/recall.
The following 2 users liked this post by QWKFLAT6:
UncleDude (04-02-2021), Z06jerry (04-03-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 09:37 PM
sassdouille
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 987SCoupe
I never said how the tree fell on the car. The SA didn't realize the Taycan was "running" when he hit the go pedal. Backed into a small pine tree that had been weakened by termites. It fell on the Spyder that was being pulled forward by a mechanic who was installing clear marker lights prior to delivery.

Edit: I think we're on the same page.

haha, yes we are on the same page, I find that scenario very funny, although probably less fun if it was my car
Old 04-02-2021, 09:42 PM
sassdouille
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by johnycarrera

people in Scotland (my country) are already taking delivery of post 4th March build date unaffected cars!

im beyond angry now that they are getting do drive around in theirs when we’ve got no resolution and potential huge delays!

Yeah that definitely hurts, it's like seeing people being served at a restaurant before you even though they arrived later ( I keep giving restaurant analogies, you can see what i've been missing the most with this crappy year )
The following 2 users liked this post by sassdouille:
P-car-Vancouver (04-02-2021), PorscheADD (04-03-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 09:54 PM
TTFLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 59 Posts

Has anyone’s vin come up as under recall on Porsche’s website? Or does that only flag delivered cars?
Old 04-02-2021, 10:49 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,508 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Originally Posted by TTFLT6
Has anyone’s vin come up as under recall on Porsche’s website? Or does that only flag delivered cars?
Mine hasn’t and probably never will because they still own the car so there’s nothing to recall. I could be wrong though.
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
*LongFella81 (04-03-2021), P-car-Vancouver (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 10:59 PM
rennlistmember
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnycarrera

3-6 month delay! Why not simply order a new one then?
The following 2 users liked this post by rennlistmember:
choeglund (04-03-2021), P-car-Vancouver (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 11:23 PM
psuwcc112
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rennlistmember
3-6 month delay! Why not simply order a new one then?
To be fair, I think most of us would if the allocation is easy to come by.
The following 2 users liked this post by psuwcc112:
choeglund (04-03-2021), P-car-Vancouver (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 12:02 AM
Garagemahal
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 43 Posts

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. I have learned one thing here- its that dealer know nothing. Let’s wait till PAG comes out with the plan
The following 4 users liked this post by Garagemahal:
johnycarrera (04-03-2021), P-car-Vancouver (04-03-2021), TTFLT6 (04-03-2021), UncleDude (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 01:05 AM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 403 Likes on 186 Posts

I think the main problem here is logistics. Porsche has a LOT of cars that need engines replaced. Lets assume that they will replace the engines: Hopefully a good assumption.
Does Porsche take all the production engines needed for these cars and stop production on cars in the assy. pipeline?
Does Porsche add shifts in the engine shop to make up the deficit in engines for the recall cars and new production?
Can Porsche's suppliers meet increased demand should they ramp up engine production? This was a supplier induced problem not a engineering / assy. line problem
Does Porsche charter aircraft to get the engines to overseas locations or put them on a boat?
Does Porsche send specialty teams to say the USA / Canada to work 24/7 to get the engine swaps done in a quick fashion?
When I took delivery of my GTS 4.0 last November a point was made specifically in the paper signing that Porsche NOT the dealer would be responsible for warranty work, so this is not a dealer problem in THAT sense but from public optics it is a dealer problem, and not a pleasant one for the dealer. Many S/As probably want to stick their phones in the fridge.
I would think Porsche probably knows what it has to do and has a plan but the logistics and exactly how to do it may take some time to flesh out. Lots of moving parts here that have to mesh to get this solved. I feel for the folks who have had their cars delivered or have paid and see them sitting on the lot.

UncleDude (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 02:37 AM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 492 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by patdonahue
I think the main problem here is logistics. Porsche has a LOT of cars that need engines replaced. Lets assume that they will replace the engines: Hopefully a good assumption.
Does Porsche take all the production engines needed for these cars and stop production on cars in the assy. pipeline?
Does Porsche add shifts in the engine shop to make up the deficit in engines for the recall cars and new production?
Can Porsche's suppliers meet increased demand should they ramp up engine production? This was a supplier induced problem not a engineering / assy. line problem
Does Porsche charter aircraft to get the engines to overseas locations or put them on a boat?
Does Porsche send specialty teams to say the USA / Canada to work 24/7 to get the engine swaps done in a quick fashion?
When I took delivery of my GTS 4.0 last November a point was made specifically in the paper signing that Porsche NOT the dealer would be responsible for warranty work, so this is not a dealer problem in THAT sense but from public optics it is a dealer problem, and not a pleasant one for the dealer. Many S/As probably want to stick their phones in the fridge.
I would think Porsche probably knows what it has to do and has a plan but the logistics and exactly how to do it may take some time to flesh out. Lots of moving parts here that have to mesh to get this solved. I feel for the folks who have had their cars delivered or have paid and see them sitting on the lot.
All good questions - the forthcoming answers will be a good guide to P’s corporate responsibility to the end users - us.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:11 AM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche757
Reading the PCA article, it would appear the initial strategy would be new engines for the cars already delivered and repairs for those which haven’t been delivered but we shall see...
It says delivered cars will get a new engine. They don’t say whether undelivered cars will get a new engine or replacement connecting rods.
afisherunc (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 09:20 AM
Specracer23
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by patdonahue
When I took delivery of my GTS 4.0 last November a point was made specifically in the paper signing that Porsche NOT the dealer would n A Porschenation be responsible for warranty work, so this is not a dealer problem in THAT sense but from public optics it is a dealer problem, and not a pleasant one for the dealer. Many S/As probably want to stick their phones in the fridge.
I would think Porsche probably knows what it has to do and has a plan but the logistics and exactly how to do it may take some time to not flesh out. Lots of moving parts here that have to mesh to get this solved. I feel for the folks who have had their cars delivered or have paid and see them sitting on the lot.

My Spyder is just about to land in Halifax and after numerous “we don’t know anything “ from my dealer i’m Here for some insights. I am extremely disappointed with the lack of transparency from Porsche and It’s lack of courtesy to often very loyal customers who just want the truth thus far. I can accept that the solution may take time to implement . My understanding is that these are production engines taken from main engine facility and sent to GT division for modifications. I would imagine that the GT division is more hands on with its engine mods and limits its potential numbers. I’ve gone through enough exotic cars in my lifelong vice to know that we are paying for a premium product that should contain what we spec’d out a factory spec GT engine from the GT division I will not compromise on that end I do believe that the cars sold and taken and waiting for delivery should be absolutely the priority to new production Should finished cars really wait in dealers lots or ports while they continue delivering new cars ? Any defects in the warranty period are Porsche problems and the dealer network is their conduit to the public. Warranty work is not sent back overseas. I’m not at all concerned with engine replacement at a dealer as engines are dropped for a variety of service cases I agree that most here are not comfortable with a dealer service Dept replacement of the conrods but I would certainly hope and assume that all dealers have factory trained techs to deal with issues. Again I am backing engine swaps as that is what I feel is deserving to all. There would have to be some pretty compelling perks starting with a full extended warranty to convince me otherwise
Old 04-03-2021, 09:25 AM
987SCoupe
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Mine hasn’t and probably never will because they still own the car so there’s nothing to recall. I could be wrong though.
Same here. My VIN says no recalls (undelivered car).
Specracer23 (04-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4