Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 04:32 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,701 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Hmm, it does seem like there are multiple things going on LOL.

Here's the wording from my sales manager:
Quote:
Yes your vehicle is one that is affected by this stop sale. The good news is that by the time it gets here we should hopefully have more information. At this point the only internal information says that we cannot deliver any 718s with the 4.0L engine until after additional quality measures have been carried out. I have not seen this very often but Porsche is very careful. If they think there is any chance there will be a problem with the vehicle they will do this until they check them all. At this point I am not sure what they are checking them for.

This sounds like the emissions issue that I heard about : Porsche Has Stopped Sales Of Certain Models Due To Emissions Bug | CarBuzz
Old 03-19-2021, 04:43 PM
N11g
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon Vennik
Stop was for GTS, Spyders and GT4 build between Jan 2021 and March 4
Got my Canadian, PDK Spyder on March 12. Entered body shop: Jan 08, Exit production: Jan 15.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:16 PM
Robert Lacroix
6th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I think my Spyder exited production on Feb 26/27. Just arrived at the Montreal dealer today. I was notified of this stop ship concern, GTS Spyder GT4, dealership has no idea what the stop ship is about at this time.
Old 03-20-2021, 01:02 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,452 Likes on 2,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Quote:
Yes your vehicle is one that is affected by this stop sale. The good news is that by the time it gets here we should hopefully have more information. At this point the only internal information says that we cannot deliver any 718s with the 4.0L engine until after additional quality measures have been carried out. I have not seen this very often but Porsche is very careful. If they think there is any chance there will be a problem with the vehicle they will do this until they check them all. At this point I am not sure what they are checking them for.

This sounds like the emissions issue that I heard about : Porsche Has Stopped Sales Of Certain Models Due To Emissions Bug | CarBuzz
That article is related to used cars 2011-2016, which you’d think they’d also want to resolve asap. Here’s a similar article that mentions current models are unaffected.

I’m not sure what this is about, but not knowing is more annoying than simply waiting for the car to arrive!

Last edited by UncleDude; 03-20-2021 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-20-2021, 02:58 AM
RolloGigolo
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

[QUOTE Porsche is very careful. If they think there is any chance there will be a problem with the vehicle they will do this until they check them all.[/QUOTE]

This made me laugh out loud.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:29 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,032 Likes on 553 Posts

Someone on a non Porsche forum has issues with his GTS not starting.

I believe he had a fuel pump replaced and it recurred. Car stalled but can be restarted after. Now they are suspecting a possible software issue.

I am thinking this could be what the stop sale is all about.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:57 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
That article is related to used cars 2011-2016, which you’d think they’d also want to resolve asap. Here’s a similar article that mentions current models are unaffected.

I’m not sure what this is about, but not knowing is more annoying than simply waiting for the car to arrive!
My bad, I thought that they were now casting a wider net... let's hope they sort this out soon for you and all others affected.
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
UncleDude (03-20-2021), Z06jerry (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 02:56 PM
johnycarrera
Advanced

Received 172 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Scotland PDK GT4

Hi, my build date 19th February PDK GT4 was prepped and ready to go yesterday when the stop sale came in.

dealers here in U.K. definitely don’t know the reason yet. 62 U.K. cars affected all Boxster and Cayman 4.0 engine cars.

was hoping someone here would know by now, pretty poor from Germany putting the stop on late Friday afternoon then closing for the weekend!

guess we will all find out on Monday
Old 03-20-2021, 03:34 PM
987SCoupe
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by johnycarrera
Hi, my build date 19th February PDK GT4 was prepped and ready to go yesterday when the stop sale came in.

dealers here in U.K. definitely don’t know the reason yet. 62 U.K. cars affected all Boxster and Cayman 4.0 engine cars.

was hoping someone here would know by now, pretty poor from Germany putting the stop on late Friday afternoon then closing for the weekend!

Well, this confirms it's not just a North America or U.S. -spec issue.

I was hoping they had determined the new but purportedly inactive OPF on U.S. cars was causing an issue and it had to be removed before delivery!
The following users liked this post:
Webfiero (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 03:37 PM
FLCAYMAN
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 987SCoupe
Well, this confirms it's not just a North America or U.S. -spec issue.

I was hoping they had determined the new but purportedly inactive OPF on U.S. cars was causing an issue and it had to be removed before delivery!
Dare to dream. 🤣
Old 03-20-2021, 03:40 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,452 Likes on 2,233 Posts

Since we’re spit ballin’ here’s a theory from piston heads:

Spyder718 (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 03:51 PM
OS10 BLU Spyder
Track Day

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by johnycarrera

I understand there’s been a recall for replacement fuel tanks, this was for a Spyder delivered in February in the UK, my uk January build PTS Spyder has been in Build for 2 months. I think they have found that a batch of fuel tanks have quality issues, so they want to find the affected cars, they probably aren’t giving more details until they are certain which cars are impacted and then replace the suspect fuel tanks before delivery.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:15 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OS10 BLU Spyder
I understand there’s been a recall for replacement fuel tanks, this was for a Spyder delivered in February in the UK, my uk January build PTS Spyder has been in Build for 2 months. I think they have found that a batch of fuel tanks have quality issues, so they want to find the affected cars, they probably aren’t giving more details until they are certain which cars are impacted and then replace the suspect fuel tanks before delivery.
If there is an official recall, notices would go out and you should be able to check your cars VIN against a database to see if applies.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:47 PM
OS10 BLU Spyder
Track Day

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
If there is an official recall, notices would go out and you should be able to check your cars VIN against a database to see if applies.

Spike Spiegel (03-27-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 07:11 PM
*LongFella81
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by OS10 BLU Spyder

thank you for posting and sharing! Interesting it states you can continue to drive. Wonder if that continued driving results in additional damage and if that damaged is covered...

Didn’t someone post something recently about their car stalling and stuttering sometimes?? Wonder if it’s contaminants getting into his engine causing his issue and/or HPFP issues...

Quick Reply: Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4