Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 03:31 PM
No Name
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

@metalone
Love the sound! What made you decided to try different vendors with different pipes? Also your thoughts about adding headers for performance? Im loving your setup the way it sounds on video, Im curious to see how that hybrid setup would sound with headers mainly as Im looking for HP gains while not trying to overload the high pitch. Thank you for the video

Last edited by No Name; 03-21-2021 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:40 PM
horns
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by rp2000r
Sounds great metalone!
What caps are you guys using on the valve side when you unplug the vacuum lines?

For those using grub screws, it didn't chew up the inside of the hose? No issue with leaks, etc when you reconnected the lines to the valves?
Old 03-21-2021, 08:02 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by No Name
@metalone
Love the sound! What made you decided to try different vendors with different pipes? Also your thoughts about adding headers for performance? Im loving your setup the way it sounds on video, Im curious to see how that hybrid setup would sound with headers mainly as Im looking for HP gains while not trying to overload the high pitch. Thank you for the video
As for the headers, I don't like the raspy sound they usually make, and from a performance point of view my experience has been they do nothing, unless you do more design changes like putting them (the cats) far away from the engine, but I was looking to do as less mods as possible to bring the sound the car deserves.

If my main focus were to increase HP, I would consider a kit that move the cats were the OPF goes, like Porsche does with the Club Sport GT4. Dundon offers one kit and also BC Fabs has an interesting one made from Inconel, which is the best material you would get.

I tried different vendors because Akrapovic was the only one producing OAP with heat shields made of Titanium at the same price of others made from steel and without any isolation.
To get the high pitched racy sound was clear that an X Pipe was needed. I would have chosen Soul but they didn't make the EU band straps mounting version that I needed, and besides Cargraphic other designs didn't convince me that they would have sufficient muffling capacity to cancel droning without OPF.

Now that I'm experiencing this resonantion with throttle steady @ 5K RPM, I'm starting to find interesting the BC Fabs muffler design, were seems that they decided to have two muffling canister through the bigger X pipes flow, maybe they did this as an small trade off in sound intensity to address this?... anyway it won't be me the one to answer that. Achieving the absolute perfection with an aftermarket solution might be a mission impossible task, so maybe you always have to give up to something...

Last edited by metalone; 03-21-2021 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:14 PM
metalone
Racer

Originally Posted by horns
What caps are you guys using on the valve side when you unplug the vacuum lines?

For those using grub screws, it didn't chew up the inside of the hose? No issue with leaks, etc when you reconnected the lines to the valves?
I didn't have any issues, but I suppose that if you screw/unscrew too many times the screws could "chew" the inside part and cause a more loose fit... anyway you can always go for vacuum caps and attach the hoses to the frame..
Old 03-21-2021, 11:05 PM
No Name
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

@metalone
Whenever you get a chance I would like to hear more of the exhaust on idle startup with PSE on and off. That setup sounds bi polar and I might be going with that set up. Did you mention you felt any HP gains or no? Thank you.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:14 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by metalone
As for the headers, I don't like the raspy sound they usually make, and from a performance point of view my experience has been they do nothing, unless you do more design changes like putting them (the cats) far away from the engine, but I was looking to do as less mods as possible to bring the sound the car deserves.

If my main focus were to increase HP, I would consider a kit that move the cats were the OPF goes, like Porsche does with the Club Sport GT4. Dundon offers one kit and also BC Fabs has an interesting one made from Inconel, which is the best material you would get.

I tried different vendors because Akrapovic was the only one producing OAP with heat shields made of Titanium at the same price of others made from steel and without any isolation.
To get the high pitched racy sound was clear that an X Pipe was needed. I would have chosen Soul but they didn't make the EU band straps mounting version that I needed, and besides Cargraphic other designs didn't convince me that they would have sufficient muffling capacity to cancel droning without OPF.

Now that I'm experiencing this resonantion with throttle steady @ 5K RPM, I'm starting to find interesting the BC Fabs muffler design, were seems that they decided to have two muffling canister through the bigger X pipes flow, maybe they did this as an small trade off in sound intensity to address this?... anyway it won't be me the one to answer that. Achieving the absolute perfection with an aftermarket solution might be a mission impossible task, so maybe you always have to give up to something...
Don't forget we released our Inconel 625 Headers and Catted Link Pipes back in November last year after 6 months of extensive track testing on our own car

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
The following 2 users liked this post by JCR-Porsche:
Alpha Ice (03-22-2021), metalone (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 09:46 AM
Keedo
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Incase this hasn't been shared yet. I just made a whole video on the Kline Exhaust. Full exhaust, inconel with 200 cel cats.

The following 5 users liked this post by Keedo:
Alpha Ice (03-22-2021), alwaysdriving (03-22-2021), GT3ED (03-22-2021), MannyLon (03-22-2021), rp2000r (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 01:21 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 458 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
Don't forget we released our Inconel 625 Headers and Catted Link Pipes back in November last year after 6 months of extensive track testing on our own car

JC
Having the PSE outback and heaving an aggressive exhaust and race headers now, I'd rather start with this and keep the PSE active or upgraded valve controller to have a bit more control over the sound. Metalones exhaust sounds great, but I think most of us fixed roofers/Cayman folks are aware the trunk plays into the sounds a bit more unfortunately (possible drone and frequencies). This would be a perfect setup for me...but I'm low man on the totem pole at V070 LOL
The following users liked this post:
metalone (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 02:38 PM
metalone
Racer

Originally Posted by No Name
@metalone
Whenever you get a chance I would like to hear more of the exhaust on idle startup with PSE on and off. That setup sounds bi polar and I might be going with that set up. Did you mention you felt any HP gains or no? Thank you.
If your are looking for a 100% bipolar setup you should check up another Xpipe that Cargraphict has recently released, that seems to be designed to be used with their 3 function valve controller forcing closed valves at all times safely . I would have considered that one but when I ordered mine that wasn't available (I think).

The diameters of both the muffled path and the unfiltered are 63mm so they say it can be used with valves closed all time, and that makes it very unique.

If I were you definitely would do a research with them.

Certainly I think that should be HP gains mainly because of the OPF , but is not something you really notice , I mean the cars feels much more fast but you know that's coming from your mind and that mighty sound
964C4 (03-24-2022)
Old 03-22-2021, 02:48 PM
metalone
Racer

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
Having the PSE outback and heaving an aggressive exhaust and race headers now, I'd rather start with this and keep the PSE active or upgraded valve controller to have a bit more control over the sound. Metalones exhaust sounds great, but I think most of us fixed roofers/Cayman folks are aware the trunk plays into the sounds a bit more unfortunately (possible drone and frequencies). This would be a perfect setup for me...but I'm low man on the totem pole at V070 LOL
That's true , and this resonance steady at 5K that seemed an small thing at first has started to become annoying after two backroads run-ups. I still have to try with valves disconnected to discard they are not causing this at the process of opening/closing , but I have the feeling that I might go for their 3 function valve controller to close the valves when needed (at least at cruising mode)

by the way I do recall listened weird resonances with the stock setup too at 5k but they were nothing compared with the pitch and sound of these ones. @Sausage416 did you noticed this resonances?

Last edited by metalone; 03-22-2021 at 02:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by metalone:
alwaysdriving (03-22-2021), j2dna (03-26-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 03:59 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by metalone
If your are looking for a 100% bipolar setup you should check up another Xpipe that Cargraphict has recently released, that seems to be designed to be used with their 3 function valve controller forcing closed valves at all times safely . I would have considered that one but when I ordered mine that wasn't available (I think).

The diameters of both the muffled path and the unfiltered are 63mm so they say it can be used with valves closed all time, and that makes it very unique.

If I were you definitely would do a research with them.

Certainly I think that should be HP gains mainly because of the OPF , but is not something you really notice , I mean the cars feels much more fast but you know that's coming from your mind and that mighty sound
Just got off the phone with Michael from Cargraphic this AM regarding their newly developed Competition/Track Silencer with the 63mm (2.5") piping. It is still in development. Not done yet. If everything works out, the exhaust will be available in 4-6 wks from then. He mentioned that if drone is the main concern, people should get their Touring version. He noted that you would be hard pressed to tell the difference in HP between the X-Pipe version vs the Touring version. Also, he mentioned that the Touring version can be run in full valve closure as well if you like. Which was surprising to me, but he assured me that there will be no damage to the engine in this configuration. He specifically said that replacing the silencers/mufflers is mainly for sound and not necessarily HP. If you want HP, then Headers Catless/Catted + OPF Delete is the way to go. No drone or raspiness per him.
metalone (03-22-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 10:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts
Default Akra+soul opf

Way too f****** loud!

I will probably take the Soul OPFs off and put the OEM back... its imply too loud under any throttle and once the valves open ... well there might as well not be any
exhaust ... not quite Harley LOUD ... but pretty unpleasant after a while ...

I dont know how you guys with race exhausts can stand the noise ... I expect "incoming" from the neighbors when I head out to Sonoma at 6am tomorrow when I start the car and
the valves open ...

Last edited by Larry Cable; 03-26-2021 at 02:05 AM.
tigerhonaker (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 03:37 AM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Way too f****** loud!

I will probably take the Soul OPFs off and put the OEM back... its imply too loud under any throttle and once the valves open ... well there might as well not be any

I dont know how you guys with race exhausts can stand the noise ... I expect "incoming" from the neighbors when I head out to Sonoma at 6am tomorrow when I start the car and
the valves open ...
Sorry to hear. That’s been my experience with JCR and Akra link pipes. I think this car needs some kind of silencers in the OPF otherwise it’s too drony / loud. I am wondering if anyone has sport headers 200 cells + xpipe rear section + stock OPF?
Old 03-26-2021, 05:05 AM
blabus
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

@metalone Excellent sounding setup, you seem to have cracked what everyone is really after, which is the cleaner/higher-pitched note closer to the 981/GT3. I'm curious though, do you think this exhaust note is achieved only by the exact combination of Akrapovic OAP + Cargraphic Racing X-pipe, or is most of the high-pitched tone coming from the Cargraphic X-pipe? In other words, could I get a similar exhaust note by using a Soul OAP + Cargraphic Racing X-pipe? Also, do you not find it too loud? It's hard to judge from your video, but it sort of sounds ear-splitting. What I want (and I suspect a lot of others do as well) is the tone but not necessarily extreme volume. Perhaps this could be solved by going with the X-pipe but skipping the OAP? Or are both required to get that tone?
Old 03-26-2021, 05:08 AM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Way too f****** loud!

the valves open ...
Originally Posted by DocMo
Sorry to hear. That’s been my experience with JCR and Akra link pipes. I think this car needs some kind of silencers in the OPF otherwise it’s too drony / loud. I am wondering if anyone has sport headers 200 cells + xpipe rear section + stock OPF?
Guys, per Michael from Cargraphics, if you want no drones/rasps and a more tolerable exhaust noise, he said you will need some kind of OAP muffler or OAP flow optimized GPF to go with your x-pipe exhaust. I am thinking about doing this with either a complete header back system or headers + 200 Cel + OAP with flow optimized GPF mated to stock PSE mufflers.
964C4 (04-30-2022)

Quick Reply: Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?