Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 01:06 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 439 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Although I am not a track rat, I do get there perhaps 6-8 times per year, I have been running the Akra Titanium link pipes and JCR Titanium Silenced Valved Race Pipe for almost 2 years, so far no cracks...
The only point of reference I can verify is Dundon clip where it was stated they have seen titanium exhausts (pl.) literally fall apart in one track setting due to high temps. I am assuming the reference was to a Porsche model given that is Dundon's focus.

I am sure there are other reports of the same out there? It will be interesting to see if Dundon does NOT recommend their titanium rear box for trackers, rather, only for street use?

Avera
Old 04-24-2023, 01:14 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Most muffled system end up in disappointment when you swap for headers and OAP, even if you keep the cats on the header or on the OAP. Been there, done that....
The JCR is not muffled, it just has resonators and some like the Akra just dump each side individually once you open the valves, it's a glorified OEM muffler and IMHO with a very Un-Porsche sound.
BTW Ti tends to crack, the Akra I tested developed a crack right in the middle (was exchanged in warranty)...I do use my cars at the track. Ti doesn't like too many heat cycles, just ask the people with OEM GT3RS ti mufflers.
And at +$10K I would prefer Inconel by far.......I'm pretty sure Dundon has done their R&D after seeing all the problems with these mufflers (OEM and aftermarket). The other one I would say also has lots of R&D is the Soul valved for the GT4RS, that one I will be able to provide some feedback this week.
Great information, thanks for posting.

I believe Dundon will be developing both TI and SS versions of their mufflers although I'm not sure if Inconel is being considered. I would prefer Inconel over SS, but am wondering where the Ti pricing will finally land.
Old 04-24-2023, 02:50 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by BabyNSX
Great information, thanks for posting.

I believe Dundon will be developing both TI and SS versions of their mufflers although I'm not sure if Inconel is being considered. I would prefer Inconel over SS, but am wondering where the Ti pricing will finally land.
Just check the pricing on their Titanium mufflers for 991/992 GT3s....the one for the GT4/RS could be in that ballpark.
For their 992 GT3 street header package they do offer Stainless, Titanium and Inconel mufflers.....the jump in price is considerable as Ti and Inconel is expensive.
Old 04-24-2023, 03:00 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
The only point of reference I can verify is Dundon clip where it was stated they have seen titanium exhausts (pl.) literally fall apart in one track setting due to high temps. I am assuming the reference was to a Porsche model given that is Dundon's focus.

I am sure there are other reports of the same out there? It will be interesting to see if Dundon does NOT recommend their titanium rear box for trackers, rather, only for street use?

Avera
One of the reasons Dundon calls their GT3 "lifetime muffler" is because they designed a tank of a muffler that can be used on the track contrary to the numerous failures OEM ones (and some aftermarket) have....
Here's a photo of a pretty famous brand after one year of use....you can even see the gauge of Ti sheet they use and how it crack primordiality on that indentation that goes round the muffler.
Is not only heat...these muffler get twisted and face lots of vibration...very harsh environment

The following 2 users liked this post by jmartpr:
Avera (04-24-2023), BabyNSX (04-24-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 03:35 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 249 Posts

Dundon stuff is massively overpriced. It's quite clever because the price difference is so outrageous I think people assume there must be something magical about it.

For a track car I would avoid exotic materials, get SS. Titanium cracks as described, I have cracked an inconel exhaust myself so I wouldn't do it again. I have seen a snapped in half from heat JCR tip that came off the back of a GT3 as well. The best setup for this car must include an Xpipe to mix the banks. I own the Kline SS and I think a lot of folks would agree, you really cant go wrong with it.

Last edited by Montaver; 04-24-2023 at 03:38 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Montaver:
Avera (04-24-2023), BabyNSX (04-24-2023), IRM (04-25-2023), LoodorneGT4 (04-24-2023), UncleDude (04-24-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 09:10 PM
ForwardUntoDawn
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey there, reviving this thread as I have a new GT4 coming in soon.

I've tried my best to search for an answer to this but it's proving to be difficult:
Coming from a stock 981 GTS with PSE, how does a 718 GT4 compare PURELY IN VOLUME, if it has something like a Soul OAP + valved catback? I am assuming with the 718 platform that an OAP + catback will sound similar in volume to a 981+PSE because 981 OAPs were unfiltered to begin with?

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2023, 09:41 PM
LoodorneGT4
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Tried few setup ..Kline was a keeper
The following 3 users liked this post by LoodorneGT4:
BoxKing (05-23-2023), RoadrunnerGTS (05-24-2023), UncleDude (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 09:54 PM
BrewKaiser
Track Day

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn

I've tried my best to search for an answer to this but it's proving to be difficult:
Coming from a stock 981 GTS with PSE, how does a 718 GT4 compare PURELY IN VOLUME, if it has something like a Soul OAP + valved catback? I am assuming with the 718 platform that an OAP + catback will sound similar in volume to a 981+PSE because 981 OAPs were unfiltered to begin with?

Thanks!
My friend has a 981 Spyder. When I picked up my 718 Spyder we swapped cars and went for a drive. Only after 5000 RPM does stock exhaust come alive, but still more modest than stock 981.

I then added valve controller, swapped OAPs (Flat6) and added JCR Ti non-Silenced. It was transformative. The OPF delete with the new OAP might be all you need to get the burbles of a 981.

The non-silenced JCRs while glorious (esp 6k plus) are LOUD.

Start with OAPs, but do get ones with heat shielding. You can always build from there. I bought my JCR used. Exhausts do come up in marketplace here and 718Forum.com. Also recommend plugging valve vacuum lines as a quick and free way for you to tell difference with valves open vs closed in the 2.5-4.5k range

Bottom line, the anemic stock exhaust of the 718 is its only flaw.

Last edited by BrewKaiser; 05-23-2023 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 10:27 PM
shiftgear
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewKaiser
My friend has a 981 Spyder. When I picked up my 718 Spyder we swapped cars and went for a drive. Only after 5000 RPM does stock exhaust come alive, but still more modest than stock 981.

I then added valve controller, swapped OAPs (Flat6) and added JCR Ti non-Silenced. It was transformative. The OPF delete with the new OAP might be all you need to get the burbles of a 981.

Start with OAPs, but do get ones with heat shielding. You can always build from there. I bought my JCR used. Exhausts do come up in marketplace here and Rennlist. Also recommend plugging valve vacuum lines as a quick and free way for you to tell difference with valves open vs closed in the 2.5-4.5k range

Bottom line, the anemic exhaust of the 718 is its only flaw.
is your setup crazy loud?
I have jcr non silenced with stock oap and find it not loud enough
Old 05-23-2023, 10:40 PM
smithsonga
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

IMO. Loud but incredible is soul catted headers. Race resonated OAP and race exhaust. Not valved.

not for faint of heart. It’s a race car.

Old 05-23-2023, 11:11 PM
BrewKaiser
Track Day

Originally Posted by shiftgear
is your setup crazy loud?
I have jcr non silenced with stock oap and find it not loud enough
Depends what your definition of “crazy” is .
It’s loud but can be driven reasonably. It has changed my driving behavior to where I intentionally try to get pops, cracks, and wild banshee. I also bring the radar along more now not because of speed but to alert of potential law enforcement and tone down driving accordingly.

Every post I have read on these forums concerning exhaust has a bias towards the commenter’s chosen solution(s) and personal preference. Start with the OAP and then keep adding more cowbell as needed. The OAPs (OPF Filter) really is what’s holding the exhaust back. Different exhausts are what fine tune the tone

My set up is almost straight piped. I love it. Wife does not. This makes me love it even more

Last edited by BrewKaiser; 05-23-2023 at 11:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BoxKing (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 11:16 PM
smithsonga
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Depends what your definition of “crazy” is .
It’s loud but can be driven reasonably. It has changed my driving behavior to where I intentionally try to get pops, cracks, and wild banshee. I also bring the radar along more now not because of speed but to alert of potential law enforcement and tone down driving accordingly.

Every post I have read on these forums concerning exhaust has a bias towards the commenter’s chosen solution(s) and personal preference. Start with the OAP and then keep adding more cowbell as needed. The OAPs (OPF Filter) really is what’s holding the exhaust back. Different exhausts are what fine tune the tone

My set up is almost straight piped. I love it. Wife does not. This makes me love it even more
we are the same lol
The following users liked this post:
BrewKaiser (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 11:41 PM
ForwardUntoDawn
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start with OAPs, but do get ones with heat shielding. You can always build from there. I bought my JCR used. Exhausts do come up in marketplace here and 718Forum.com. Also recommend plugging valve vacuum lines as a quick and free way for you to tell difference with valves open vs closed in the 2.5-4.5k range

Bottom line, the anemic stock exhaust of the 718 is its only flaw.
I'll likely get the Soul set with resonated OAP and the valved exhaust. I'm just hoping it's roughly the same volume as my 981 is now. I guess if it ends up being too loud I can always put the GPFs back on. Thanks!
Old 05-23-2023, 11:55 PM
BrewKaiser
Track Day

I'll likely get the Soul set with resonated OAP and the valved exhaust. I'm just hoping it's roughly the same volume as my 981 is now. I guess if it ends up being too loud I can always put the GPFs back on. Thanks!
You will be happy with that. My current set up is louder than my friend’s stock 981.
If too loud I would leave the resonated OAP and return the OEM exhaust.
Old 05-24-2023, 01:00 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 823 Posts
Lightbulb

Thanks!
ForwardUntoDawn,

Below is a full review of the SOUL exhaust components I have on my 718 GT4.
You might find the in-depth information as well as the short multiple videos helpful.

See link below on .................

SOUL Performance installs of (Rear-Valved Muffler & Sound Symposer Delete) ...

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post18465444

Terry

Quick Reply: Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?