Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

C40 Oil Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 09:41 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by theEnd
I just picked up my Spyder from its 10,000 mile / 6 month servicing. The dealer used Mobil 1 A40 for the oil change. I'm still waiting for them to tell me why they didn't use C40, and what should be done about it.
Originally Posted by Westcoast
Wow, that is not good, probably not the end of the world but still astounding when the C40 spec oil is available in their parts system and indeed online as well! Especially considering that C40 oil has been out for a couple of years now...
This is not surprising to me, it was more of a surprise was some of the aggressive pushback I got here when I suggested the bulk of NA dealers were simply pumping the standard NA version of Mobil 1 A40 into our cars. I called 3 dealers near me just to check and got a fairly consistent response that, at least at the parts counter, they care about the viscosity numbers and are ignorant of certifications. One even argued that all that 0W-40 Mobil 1 European formula was the requirements and the C40/A40 discussion was pure marketing...... Needless to say I won't be using them as a servicing dealer (it's not where I'm buying my Spyder from anyway). One did recognize the difference but to date (since 2019 when the standard was introduced) he's only had 1 customer ask and he was using it in his Cup car. The 3rd dealer didn't know what oil was on his shelf but pulled a bottle while we were on the phone and low and behold it was the C40 version. Had I not asked he wouldn't have known.

But the reality is we here are the minority, I suspect 80% of their customers simply don't care and quite honestly it won't be a problem. Oil related failures are so rare now that these discussions are really academic. 10 years from now on a tear down I'd hazard a guess that even the best trained engine guy couldn't differentiate between the car with a 100% C40 diet vs. an A40 diet.

Last edited by mjw930; 12-22-2020 at 09:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
minn19 (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 10:15 AM
fueledbymetal
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn

For those that may want even further reading on the A40 vs C40 debate, here is another thread to look at from last year.
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...tor-oil-4.html
That's from last year. I'm sticking with the latest guidance for FY21+ cars:

Old 12-22-2020, 10:35 AM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
I love the last line, "take it to the dealer for oil changes until".................................they have C40 as well and until then, they will change with the A40 spec.

Last edited by minn19; 12-22-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:38 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
Not to be a smart *** but you may wish to stick to the guidance for FY21+ cars but if your servicing dealer is unwilling or unable to provide C40 spec oil you're SOL. And to be clear, you can "demand" whatever you want with the service writer but unless you physically inspect what the technician is putting into the car you have absolutely no guarantee they didn't put A40 oil in regardless what they tell you.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:37 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,745 Likes on 2,758 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercuriell
Good to read the thread referenced above in the 718 forum - what is further confusing is the cited Porsche document recommending C40 oil for late model 718/992 with or without GPF

I am not sure what is so confusing, looking at the list the 9A2 engine in the Carrera is listed as requiring the C40... it makes sense that the 9A2 Evo 4.0l in the 718 require it as well.

Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
Yes, which begs the question, if the A40 oil was good enough before, why all of a sudden is it not? I know oils evolve and better oils are rolled out and recommended for older cars, but if A40 was okay for a 2019 Porsche Cayman and now it's not, then something is fishy. I am willing to bet that virtually every Porsche with a 2019 build date received A40 oil from the factory and the dealer .
Bill, it seems that you do not want to accept that things move on and there is a new spec for the oil in these cars, nothing fishy, simply an improved formulation...

And again it not only about the GPF...

Balloonmeister (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 11:53 AM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts
Wink

I am not sure what is so confusing, looking at the list the 9A2 engine in the Carrera is listed as requiring the C40... it makes sense that the 9A2 Evo 4.0l in the 718 require it as well.

Bill, it seems that you do not want to accept that things move on and there is a new spec for the oil in these cars, nothing fishy, simply an improved formulation...

And again it not only about the GPF...
I guess I wasn't very clear with my posting. Yes, I realize improvements are made and newer oils are better in most cases, I accept that and embrace it in fact. But the confusion comes from the fact which has been determined in this thread from several vehicle owners that many Porsche dealers are either unaware of the new C40 spec or unwilling/unable to meet it with their current inventory of oil. Thus many 2019 cars have been serviced at dealerships with A40 spec oil even though Porsche has said for about 2 years that the spec for all 911's and Boxster/Cayman since 2019 should be C40 spec oil. So I have to conclude that it is, 1. either no big deal or, 2. that the dealers don't care and are just willing to put older oil in the cars because that's what they have on hand or the only thing they can get. If the new oil is in their parts catalog and they are ordering it but it doesn't arrive, then that's on PCNA and ultimately PAG. If they just aren't ordering it because they don't want to stock two oils, then its on them but I can't see that many dealers doing this. So we still don't have a definitive answer even thou we're in agreement that cars since 2019 should get C40 and especially 2021 cars that have the GPF installed(even though they don't have the full GPF treatment like European cars) . I suppose at some point, probably next year, it will all sort itself out and our discussion will become moot, but its good fodder for discussion now and helps build a good conspiracy theory.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Mitchell:
minn19 (12-22-2020), Westcoast (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 11:59 AM
Balloonmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Motul 8100 X-Clean Gen 2, Porsche C40-spec oil is readily available on Amazon for $12/L or $49/5L.

https://www.amazon.com/Motul-8100-X-Clean-Gen2-Liter/dp/B08NWJXMNY/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=Motul+8100+X-Clean+Gen+2+Porsche+C40&qid=1608652350&sr=8-16 https://www.amazon.com/Motul-8100-X-Clean-Gen2-Liter/dp/B08NWJXMNY/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=Motul+8100+X-Clean+Gen+2+Porsche+C40&qid=1608652350&sr=8-16

0-Day (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 04:19 PM
fueledbymetal
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
Not to be a smart *** but you may wish to stick to the guidance for FY21+ cars but if your servicing dealer is unwilling or unable to provide C40 spec oil you're SOL. And to be clear, you can "demand" whatever you want with the service writer but unless you physically inspect what the technician is putting into the car you have absolutely no guarantee they didn't put A40 oil in regardless what they tell you.
Agreed, so I wouldn't "demand" anything. When my service is due I'll call in advance to ask what oil they carry and base my course of action on their reply. C40 is available in the wild as indicated above, so in a pinch I will source my own if needed - better that than than potentially sacrifice the longevity of the car imho.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:36 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 492 Likes on 303 Posts

I am not sure what is so confusing, looking at the list the 9A2 engine in the Carrera is listed as requiring the C40... it makes sense that the 9A2 Evo 4.0l in the 718 require it as
only that after reading both threads I’d got my head around that the C40 formulation was needed for the GPF whereas that bulletin clearly cites it for non-GPF NA models - so either they’re aiming for consistency for logistic reasons or else there are other reasons such as the Low Speed PreIgnition mentioned in the 718 article 🤪
Old 12-22-2020, 04:43 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

only that after reading both threads I’d got my head around that the C40 formulation was needed for the GPF whereas that bulletin clearly cites it for non-GPF NA models - so either they’re aiming for consistency for logistic reasons or else there are other reasons such as the Low Speed PreIgnition mentioned in the 718 article 🤪
Hold on, just to dirty up that oil, read this in the Mobil 1 bulletin:

Applications
Mobil 1 ESP X3 0W-40 is recommended for high-performance engines requiring GPFs (gasoline particulate filters).
• Mobil 1 ESP X3 0W-40 can only be used in the vehicles for which it is approved. It is not backward compatible with vehicle engines requiring an A40,
C30 or C20 .
*** Always consult the owner's manual of the vehicle for the manufacturer's recommended viscosity grade and specifications
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
GL-XX-Mobil-1-ESP-X3-0W-40.pdf (139.8 KB, 166 views)
Old 12-22-2020, 05:11 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Hold on, just to dirty up that oil, read this in the Mobil 1 bulletin:
Yep seen that one - overall it points to the fact that Mobil and Porsche should have got their story straight and their oil distribution sorted before rolling out the latest models - maybe they’re so electrified by the Taycan and hybrids that they think oil matters less important than Charging Stations.
Plenty of material here for future class action should engines start playing up !
Old 12-22-2020, 06:54 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Yep seen that one - overall it points to the fact that Mobil and Porsche should have got their story straight and their oil distribution sorted before rolling out the latest models - maybe they’re so electrified by the Taycan and hybrids that they think oil matters less important than Charging Stations.
Plenty of material here for future class action should engines start playing up !
Quite honestly I think what they are really saying is using A40 spec oil, while not optimal, has little to no effect on their warranty claim rates. In other words it's cheaper than ramping up the supply chain.

Not being backward compatible is confusing and without documentation on why it's total speculation..
Old 12-22-2020, 07:38 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,148 Likes on 561 Posts

I agree with Bill.

What happens when your inert GPF is removed in favor of an aftermarket solution, or eliminated as described by one of our more popular threads for a paltry some of $10 of beer and some your time?
Old 12-22-2020, 08:04 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

I agree with Bill.

What happens when your inert GPF is removed in favor of an aftermarket solution, or eliminated as described by one of our more popular threads for a paltry some of $10 of beer and some your time?
Back pressure will be reduced - whether this is important is doubtful unless your engine needs a warranty claim ...

Great thread though !
Old 12-22-2020, 08:10 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I agree with Bill.

Leaving Bill out of it...

The GPF is not the only consideration, there are other emission systems in place on these cars, I am curious If the C40 oil was as readily available as A40 would this even be a discussion?

Quick Reply: C40 Oil Discussion