Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

C40 Oil Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 04:22 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

My recently departed 981 CGTS didn't "burn any oil" either, except that it really did. I never had to add any between changes and never got a low oil indicator, but the rear of the car would get a sheen of black grease/oil on it if I didn't keep it cleaned off. When I sold the car and took the tag off I had to get Spray 9 and apply it several times to get all the black residue off the tag, especially in the nooks and crannies covered by the tag holder. All flat engine designs will burn a little oil since the orientation of the cylinders is such that oil seeps into the combustion chambers while at rest if not while moving. Its the nature of the beast. Dry sumps help a lot but don't eliminate it. But I think its okay to say "my car doesn't burn any oil" if you don't have to add any between changes, just know that it isn't totally true.
The following users liked this post:
minn19 (12-15-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 04:42 PM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

Received 516 Likes on 252 Posts

Manual says .5 liters per 1000 miles during breakin
minn19 (12-15-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 05:08 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
... but the rear of the car would get a sheen of black grease/oil on it if I didn't keep it cleaned off. When I sold the car and took the tag off I had to get Spray 9 and apply it several times to get all the black residue off the tag, especially in the nooks and crannies covered by the tag holder.
Are you sure that that wasn't soot and other combustion byproducts from the exhaust from driving around with your right foot to the floor?

I ask 'cause that's my problem. And yes, it can be oily.

The rear of most road cars is an aerodynamic mess. There are vortices generated from air moving under and over the car that lift dirt off the road, from the air over the top, and from the exhaust and deposit it on the rear bumper.
catdog2 (12-18-2021)
Old 12-15-2020, 08:40 PM
Tommy928
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, its frustrating when Porsche says use C40 but the dealers don't have it. Mobil 1 lists the C40 oil on their website but no luck in finding any that I know of. I used to be an ExxonMobil distributor but I don't have any contacts now or I'd reach out to some of them to see what they know. Probably nothing. It is so low priority right now compared to the overall market that nobody wants to invest the resources necessary to stock and distribute it I'd guess. What is so strange to me is that Porsche is recommending the C40 oil for the 4.0 engined cars yet they don't have an active GPF that is the whole reason for going to C40 in the first place. I would almost bet you could drain the C40 out and put A40 oil in and it would not affect anything at all(except the warranty of course). Getting any info on this from Porsche is practically impossible right now too.
Suncoast Porsche has C40: https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...MaAh-QEALw_wcB
Old 12-16-2020, 08:53 AM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 492 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy928
Are you sure? It’s not a good quality photo but I can’t see X3 on it - if it’s ESP 10-40 plain then it’s A40 spec
Old 12-16-2020, 09:05 AM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercuriell
Are you sure? It’s not a good quality photo but I can’t see X3 on it - if it’s ESP 10-40 plain then it’s A40 spec
That's the A40 stuff.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:08 AM
Balloonmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by minn19
That's the A40 stuff.
I can't see X3 on it either but I just spoke with Suncoast parts and they said that in their computer it says it is the Porsche C40-spec oil. Interesting that Mobil would label their bottles differently between the 1 L and 5 L bottles. You can see on the 5 L bottles, found on Amazon, but not yet available in the US, the X3 is prominently displayed in the box that says '0W-40'. And it lists 'Porsche C40' on the back of the 5 L bottle. The tech at Suncoast said that those words were not on their 1L bottles but their computer indicates that it is C-40 spec oil. Hmmm.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:35 AM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Balloonmeister
I can't see X3 on it either but I just spoke with Suncoast parts and they said that in their computer it says it is the Porsche C40-spec oil. Interesting that Mobil would label their bottles differently between the 1 L and 5 L bottles. You can see on the 5 L bottles, found on Amazon, but not yet available in the US, the X3 is prominently displayed in the box that says '0W-40'. And it lists 'Porsche C40' on the back of the 5 L bottle. The tech at Suncoast said that those words were not on their 1L bottles but their computer indicates that it is C-40 spec oil. Hmmm.
Unless they have the picture wrong, that is the A40 spec. I have two cases of the same stuff in my garage. Believe me, I wish it was the C40 spec. I took pics and of the front and back of the bottle and posted them in the other oil thread. I agree/also ranted in that thread how Mobil 1 has decided to label these two different oils. It is a very poor job IMO.

I looked at the link and I didn't see the C40 spec in the description.

Last edited by minn19; 12-16-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Balloonmeister (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 01:19 PM
Tommy928
Instructor

Originally Posted by minn19
Unless they have the picture wrong, that is the A40 spec. I have two cases of the same stuff in my garage. Believe me, I wish it was the C40 spec. I took pics and of the front and back of the bottle and posted them in the other oil thread. I agree/also ranted in that thread how Mobil 1 has decided to label these two different oils. It is a very poor job IMO.

I looked at the link and I didn't see the C40 spec in the description.
Here is the A40 from Suncoast, it stated this is for cars without gpf and the switch dates for cars requiring C40.
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...RoCAsEQAvD_BwE
Old 12-16-2020, 01:22 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,745 Likes on 2,758 Posts

Yeah, its frustrating when Porsche says use C40 but the dealers don't have it. Mobil 1 lists the C40 oil on their website but no luck in finding any that I know of. I used to be an ExxonMobil distributor but I don't have any contacts now or I'd reach out to some of them to see what they know. Probably nothing. It is so low priority right now compared to the overall market that nobody wants to invest the resources necessary to stock and distribute it I'd guess. What is so strange to me is that Porsche is recommending the C40 oil for the 4.0 engined cars yet they don't have an active GPF that is the whole reason for going to C40 in the first place. I would almost bet you could drain the C40 out and put A40 oil in and it would not affect anything at all(except the warranty of course). Getting any info on this from Porsche is practically impossible right now too.
It is not only about the GPF, there are other changes to the C40 spec oil (from LN Engineering Tech Tuesday):

Porsche's latest Technical Information bulletin, Allocation of Approved Engine Oils (33/18) released in January 2019, introduced several notable changes including the addition of gas particulate filters to their newest sports car models and new recommendations for lubricants for both aircooled and watercooled models. Backwards compatibility of engine oils is no longer assumed or guaranteed, so choosing the right oil for your engine is more important than ever.
There are now four Porsche oil specifications.

A40 oils cover 1984 and newer sports car models, but with the newest vehicles, the C40, C30, and C20 standards have been introduced. Most notably, these new "C" specification oils provide protection against LSPI, or low speed pre-ignition, and protect emissions control devices. The C30 and C20 standards are provided for shared VAG platform engines that call for 30 and 20-weight oils, with thinner oils used primarily for improved fuel economy.
Mobil 1 ESP X3 0w40 is formulated to meet the new C40 standard:

https://www.mobil.com/English-RO/Pas...-1-ESP-X3-0W40

Modern gasoline direct injected (GDI) engines are prone to damage from LSPI, so oil standards like API SN+ and GM Dexos2 have been introduced to provide protection from detonation at low speeds and high loads. LSPI occurs when engine oil infiltrates the combustion chamber and combusts before the ignition event. Changes include reduction of calcium detergents and elimination of sodium detergents, as well as increased Moly and other friction modifiers. Likewise, modern low-SAPS oils are designed with reduced anti-wear additives, like ZDDP, which can shorten catalyst life, or plug after treatment particulate filters. It is interesting that this new standard and the corresponding Mobil 1 C40 specification oil provides protection for these particulate filters, as it has been determined that gasoline direction injection engine or gasoline compression engines produce particulate matter in their exhaust, soot, like diesel engines, which poses a potential environmental issue. Remember, diesel engines have been legislated away and become less common due to the soot particulate matter they produce, so particulate filters have been added to many engines, and they are coming to gasoline engines now including some Porsche models.
Oh and FWIW take a look at the date code on these 1 liter containers, it has been around for awhile now...

worf928 (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 01:26 PM
Tommy928
Instructor

Per Mobil 1 EXP X3 0W-40 qualified for Porsche C40 and GM dexos2 for cars with gpf. You can clearly see 2dexos on the photo.
https://www.mobil.com/en-de/passenge...-1-esp-x3-0w40
Old 12-16-2020, 01:36 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Here is the A40 from Suncoast, it stated this is for cars without gpf and the switch dates for cars requiring C40.
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...RoCAsEQAvD_BwE
Please don't take this as know it all or anything else as I don't know it all etc. But, I've read/researched quite a bit here and elsewhere about what oil these 4.0s take. From the general consensus for warranty purposes we need the C40 oil. It sounds like for North American non/GPF cars the A40 would be just fine as long as it isn't mixed with the initial factory fill, which I assume is C40.

From what I can tell, the two oils you linked are A40 and not C40. Just trying to get accurate info out there for everyone, but it is each individuals choice what they want to do with their own cars. I personally want the C40 oil for mine. My experiences with Ford and my past GT350s has a lot to do with making sure I follow what the manufacturer wants for warranty purposes. Others aren't as concerned about it obviously.

Last edited by minn19; 12-16-2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:32 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 492 Likes on 303 Posts

Per Mobil 1 EXP X3 0W-40 qualified for Porsche C40 and GM dexos2 for cars with gpf. You can clearly see 2dexos on the photo.
https://www.mobil.com/en-de/passenge...-1-esp-x3-0w40
Yes but the GM dexos 2 isnt Porsche C40 - perusal of previous threads and posts seems to indicate that both A40 and C40 satisfy the dexos2 specs but that doesn’t mean that all dexos 2 rated oils satisfy C40. A cougar and a Siamese are both cats but a Siamese ain’t a cougar !

Personally, if it doesn’t have C40 on the bottle, it ain’t going in the engine!
minn19 (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 02:34 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,745 Likes on 2,758 Posts

Yes but the GM dexos 2 isnt Porsche C40 - perusal of previous threads and posts seems to indicate that both A40 and C40 satisfy the dexos2 specs but that doesn’t mean that all dexos 2 rated oils satisfy C40. A cougar and a Siamese are both cats but a Siamese ain’t a cougar !

Personally, if it doesn’t have C40 on the bottle, it ain’t going in the engine!
My take as well...
Old 12-16-2020, 05:40 PM
Cirrusly
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts

The bottom line is that it's up to Porsche.... not Suncoast, not Mobil, not the dealers' service departments, and certainly not the owners to determine what oil is required for these cars. A40 may or may not be suitable. Until Porsche issues an official statement in writing that A40 spec oil is suitable for non-GPF cars then technically for warranty purposes we must use C40. Everything else is pure speculation.

It is definitely a weird situation!
The following 2 users liked this post by Cirrusly:
Mercuriell (12-16-2020), minn19 (12-16-2020)

Quick Reply: C40 Oil Discussion