Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2024, 10:47 AM
TRSCobra
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by landsteam
Can you or someone post (maybe the weblink?) the part (collar) to buy? I saw the thread about it and there was so many different options not sure which is correct?
Here's the ones I got a while back (need 2):
https://www.ebay.com/p/1017488059
Old 07-21-2024, 11:12 AM
CaymanChris
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I have taken the leap and ordered a Kline inconel exhaust with heat shielding for my GT4. Sticking with OEM headers. Will be replacing my FLAT6 OAPs and OEM backbox when the Kline exhaust arrives likely some time in September. Cannot wait to hear it in person. Thanks to all who took the time to post your experiences and sound clips.
The following 4 users liked this post by CaymanChris:
BoxKing (07-21-2024), Henry I. (07-21-2024), LooseNut (07-21-2024), UncleDude (07-21-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 12:44 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk
Yep
Here you go.

I was cruising home yesterday evening after a dinner out. The top down, 8:30pm, 80F out still, beautiful weather, smooth road, 70mph and just the sound of wind and a underlying subtle hum of the exhaust. I was thinking how nice and quiet it was for that moment. Then I down shifted to 2nd and took a clover leaf at speed and accelerated out with that flat six scream, perfect for that moment... thats the personality I want from my exhaust.

@MrFunk I have a couple more questions about your setup if you don't mind. You are attenuating (fine tuning) the sound of the exhaust from valves fully open to a partially open scenario.

From what I understand, you have placed a physical obstruction in the path of the valve stem to prevent it from retracting fully when a vacuum is applied to the valve. Do you hear a metallic sound as the stem retracts and collides with the collar? Second, are you not concerned about the long term reliability of this set up with repeated collisions of the valve stem/valve body with the physical obstruction such as the stem breaking off?

The other question I have is can you leave the vacuum lines disconnected and then physically adjust the position of the valve stem before placing the collar around it? That way, the PSE swtich would only operate the sound symposer. Of course in this case, your valves will never open fully but you will avoid the repeated collisions of the collar with stem. Any downside to that besides never hearing the exhaust with fully open valves?
Old 07-21-2024, 12:50 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

For you guys with Cargraphic valve controllers, in the description I read these statements. What is the concern here that requires it be traceless?
  • Factory control remains connected
  • Easy connection and installation
  • Traceless deinstallation
  • Activation of factory valve control unit is always possible
  • High quality remote controls with CARGRAPHIC logo
The following users liked this post:
jimdillard (07-24-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 01:00 PM
TRSCobra
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by subwoofer
For you guys with Cargraphic valve controllers, in the description I read these statements. What is the concern here that requires it be traceless?
  • Factory control remains connected
  • Easy connection and installation
  • Traceless deinstallation
  • Activation of factory valve control unit is always possible
  • High quality remote controls with CARGRAPHIC logo
Just means it's plug and play.
silverscooby27 (07-22-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 06:31 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
Just means it's plug and play.
I understand that. Why does removal need to be traceless as in leave no evidence behind. Sound like something to hide from Porsche. No?
Old 07-21-2024, 07:02 PM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 636 Likes on 361 Posts

I understand that. Why does removal need to be traceless as in leave no evidence behind. Sound like something to hide from Porsche. No?
Cargraphic is German right? Could just be phrasing between languages.

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram
subwoofer (07-21-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 08:52 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Le Petit Garage
Cargraphic is German right? Could just be phrasing between languages.
Could be although I copied it from the Flat six website and they are in my other home state of Florida.
Old 07-21-2024, 09:57 PM
lilbza
Pro

Received 579 Likes on 265 Posts

You're really reading into too much. I think it's pretty clear they mean nothing permanent is left behind when removed. Some modifications require cutting of factory parts to fit, meaning when removed there's remnants of a previously installed modification. To some people that can turn them off buying a used car.
The following 4 users liked this post by lilbza:
jimdillard (07-24-2024), LooseNut (07-22-2024), silverscooby27 (07-22-2024), subwoofer (07-21-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 10:09 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

I guess the valve controller would be useful to have for that rare occasion

Last edited by subwoofer; 07-21-2024 at 10:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by subwoofer:
lilbza (07-21-2024), silverscooby27 (07-22-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 01:04 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 872 Likes on 463 Posts

@MrFunk I have a couple more questions about your setup if you don't mind.

Do you hear a metallic sound as the stem retracts and collides with the collar? Second, are you not concerned about the long term reliability of this set up with repeated collisions of the valve stem/valve body with the physical obstruction such as the stem breaking off?

The other question I have is can you leave the vacuum lines disconnected and then physically adjust the position of the valve stem before placing the collar around it? That way, the PSE swtich would only operate the sound symposer. Of course in this case, your valves will never open fully but you will avoid the repeated collisions of the collar with stem. Any downside to that besides never hearing the exhaust with fully open valves?
No problem.
1. No I do not hear any metallic sound as the valves close.
2. No I am not concerned about long term reliability in any way. The "collision" isn't that violent that it would damage anything. You're just limited the distance a hinge is moving. What component would you be concerned about? In fact - I would argue the opposite, that by disconnecting the vacuum lines and leaving the valves fully open and not moving anymore, you are risking them becoming seized over time by lack of use and corrosion...
3. No the collar would not do anything if the valves are disconnected because the "resting" position of the valves is fully open (as in the picture I posted), anywhere along the stem that you place the collar simply stops it from closing... if it's not trying to close then the collars have nothing to do.
The following 3 users liked this post by MrFunk:
jimdillard (07-24-2024), subwoofer (07-22-2024), UncleDude (07-22-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 01:18 PM
norphaedrus
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I think for #3 @subwoofer is asking if you could "wire" it such that plunger is partially closed to the position that the collar limits to which would avoid the so called "collison", but give you a always partially opened valve. I've seen the BMW guys do this.

It still wouldn't address the concern of the valve becoming seized over time.
subwoofer (07-22-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 01:23 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrFunk
No problem.
1. No I do not hear any metallic sound as the valves close.
2. No I am not concerned about long term reliability in any way. The "collision" isn't that violent that it would damage anything. You're just limited the distance a hinge is moving. What component would you be concerned about? In fact - I would argue the opposite, that by disconnecting the vacuum lines and leaving the valves fully open and not moving anymore, you are risking them becoming seized over time by lack of use and corrosion...
3. No the collar would not do anything if the valves are disconnected because the "resting" position of the valves is fully open (as in the picture I posted), anywhere along the stem that you place the collar simply stops it from closing... if it's not trying to close then the collars have nothing to do.
Thanks for your detailed response. I agree that leaving the valves sitting idle for long periods of time may not the best for longevity. I am not bothered at all about the sound with the valves fully open and actually I relish the noise. Haha. But of course my wife loathes it and will not ride in the car with me for any length of time. She found the OEM exhaust to be too loud so your solution of attenuating the sound with collars may not provide an adequate level of noise suppression for her.

I am now thinking of buying the cargraphic valve controller and use that to silence the car when she is with me.
The following 2 users liked this post by subwoofer:
MrFunk (07-22-2024), silverscooby27 (07-23-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 10:19 PM
s182
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 41 Posts

Dumb question time: I'm getting closer to convincing myself to take this leap to a Kline setup. But one concern is that though my BGTS is now in Benicia and hopefully just a week or two from delivery, I'm also on the list for Spyder RS. If I get lucky enough to get a Spyder RS, would the exhaust be as impactful on the RS as it is on the GTS? Any compatibility issues or could it swap over?
Old 07-22-2024, 10:26 PM
Bill_76
Pro

Received 519 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by s182
Dumb question time: I'm getting closer to convincing myself to take this leap to a Kline setup. But one concern is that though my BGTS is now in Benicia and hopefully just a week or two from delivery, I'm also on the list for Spyder RS. If I get lucky enough to get a Spyder RS, would the exhaust be as impactful on the RS as it is on the GTS? Any compatibility issues or could it swap over?
I had 718 Spyder with Kline and now Spyder RS in break in process, system is no compatible, and the Spyder RS engine and intake sound is far better than Kline exhaust sound in a regular Spyder. it does not mean a Kline in a RS will not make difference but you can be happy with the stock interior sound; in my previous Spyder it was a must, I installed it with 400 miles during break-in, I cannot live with the tone from factory.

Last edited by Bill_76; 07-22-2024 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust