Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2024, 05:49 PM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by subwoofer
I had been using my Kline stainless steel exhaust in my Boxster 25 with the vacuum lines disconnected. Today, I had the shop connect up the lines and went for a drive. It was really quiet below 4k rpms. I could barely hear anything except for a distant hum and some muffled pops and crackles. Above 4k rpms, the exhaust suddenly came alive which made it sound jarring. Went straight back to the shop and had them disconnect the vacuum lines and the car is back to its rowdy self. I can see where quiet may be useful in congested residential areas or perhaps for a quiet long drive on the highway. Since my car is primarily for entertainment, I see no value to the quiet mode at all but I guess a valve controller may be useful in certain instances. End of experiment.
At risk of repeating myself, I have the Kline Inconel system installed on my Spyder with the Cargraphic Exhaust Valve Controller. I think I tried the "QUIET" Mode once or twice when I first had the Kline and Cargraphic installed. It's been in the "LOUD" Mode since. I could've just as easy had the vacuum lines disconnected and been done with it!
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (07-20-2024)
Old 07-19-2024, 06:30 PM
Spyder Bite
Pro

Received 719 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by jimdillard
At risk of repeating myself, I have the Kline Inconel system installed on my Spyder with the Cargraphic Exhaust Valve Controller. I think I tried the "QUIET" Mode once or twice when I first had the Kline and Cargraphic installed. It's been in the "LOUD" Mode since. I could've just as easy had the vacuum lines disconnected and been done with it!
same setup and experience here.
Old 07-19-2024, 06:31 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 599 Likes on 381 Posts

I was very surprised at how quiet the exhaust was with the valves closed. If the loud mode wasn’t available, I would not have bought the Kline. The quiet mode is not that different from the OEM to my ears. It didn’t sound ‘exotic’. Frankly, it sounded lame to me. 😂
Old 07-19-2024, 06:44 PM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 161 Posts

I was very surprised at how quiet the exhaust was with the valves closed. If the loud mode wasn’t available, I would not have bought the Kline. The quiet mode is not that different from the OEM to my ears. It didn’t sound ‘exotic’. Frankly, it sounded lame to me. 😂
After a year of experience with my Kline Inconel system I can further break-down the sound in the "LOUD" Cargraphic Mode as follows:
1.) Below 4,000 RPM - "OK...that sounds great...not too loud...the neighbors probably won't be pissed."
2.) Between 4,000 RPM and 5,000 RPM - "WHOA...OK...something really starting to happen here. Hang on!"
3.) Above 5,000 RPM - "HOLY SH*T!!! LISTEN TO THAT SOUND!!!!!"
The following 5 users liked this post by jimdillard:
6IXSPD (07-19-2024), Big Belly 711 (07-20-2024), BoxKing (07-19-2024), subwoofer (07-19-2024), tigerhonaker (07-20-2024)
Old 07-19-2024, 09:05 PM
6IXSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 282 Posts

After a year of experience with my Kline Inconel system I can further break-down the sound in the "LOUD" Cargraphic Mode as follows:
1.) Below 4,000 RPM - "OK...that sounds great...not too loud...the neighbors probably won't be pissed."
2.) Between 4,000 RPM and 5,000 RPM - "WHOA...OK...something really starting to happen here. Hang on!"
Spot on! Sometimes I feel as if mine isn’t loud enough from the driver’s seat but I’ve had multiple people tell me it’s VERY loud with valves open at full throttle, past 4000 RPM. Guess it’s just that much different from behind/outside the car with the sound coming at you, vs. away from you.

Last edited by 6IXSPD; 07-19-2024 at 09:06 PM.
jimdillard (07-19-2024)
Old 07-19-2024, 09:38 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 6IXSPD
Spot on! Sometimes I feel as if mine isn’t loud enough from the driver’s seat but I’ve had multiple people tell me it’s VERY loud with valves open at full throttle, past 4000 RPM. Guess it’s just that much different from behind/outside the car with the sound coming at you, vs. away from you.
That certainly seems to be the case. It is not that loud inside the cabin at lower rpms even with valves open but today I heard it as the tech was driving it and it was LOUD. Even with the valves closed, it sounded reasonably loud outside but I couldn't hear much inside the cabin with the top down. Very muffled and distant. Valves open and above 4-5k rpms, it is a howler inside the cabin too so I can only imagine how nuts it must be outside. I hope I don't get a ticket but NH is full of very loud motorycles and cars so I should be fine. LOL!
Old 07-20-2024, 01:11 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 873 Likes on 463 Posts

I had been using my Kline stainless steel exhaust in my Boxster 25 with the vacuum lines disconnected. Today, I had the shop connect up the lines and went for a drive. It was really quiet below 4k rpms. I could barely hear anything except for a distant hum and some muffled pops and crackles. Above 4k rpms, the exhaust suddenly came alive which made it sound jarring. Went straight back to the shop and had them disconnect the vacuum lines and the car is back to its rowdy self. I can see where quiet may be useful in congested residential areas or perhaps for a quiet long drive on the highway. Since my car is primarily for entertainment, I see no value to the quiet mode at all but I guess a valve controller may be useful in certain instances. End of experiment.
Oh man - yeah you don't want the valves completely closed...

You want to get valve collars on there if you're going to connect the lines - they keep the valves from fully closing when using the vacuum lines connected. In the valves "closed" position they being held 1/3 open (so they never fully close). I find it's the perfect balance of refined when you you want it to be, and loud when you want it to be without the annoying boominess.
Using PSE ON vs OFF provides a bit more range in that experience but with either ON or OFF there is no boominess... it just gets louder sooner with it ON with more intake noise.

But there you have it - if you love it loud all the time - and aren't bothered by the Boominess then rock it out! Luckily we have quite a lot of variability in how this exhaust can be set up.
subwoofer (07-20-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 01:28 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrFunk
Oh man - yeah you don't want the valves completely closed...

You want to get valve collars on there if you're going to connect the lines - they keep the valves from fully closing when using the vacuum lines connected. In the valves "closed" position they being held 1/3 open (so they never fully close). I find it's the perfect balance of refined when you you want it to be, and loud when you want it to be without the annoying boominess.
Using PSE ON vs OFF provides a bit more range in that experience but with either ON or OFF there is no boominess... it just gets louder sooner with it ON with more intake noise.

But there you have it - if you love it loud all the time - and aren't bothered by the Boominess then rock it out! Luckily we have quite a lot of variability in how this exhaust can be set up.
I see. So your valves are open a third of the way (below 4k rpms) or fully (above 4k rpms) when PSE is on? That sounds like a decent compromise to tone down low rpm sound if one doesn't like it. Unfortunately, these vacuum-actuated valves are only off or on and cannot be programmed to stay partially open all the time. What collars are are using and how easy are they to install? Any isues with valve operation by mechanically blocking them from closing completely?
Old 07-20-2024, 05:37 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

I see. So your valves are open a third of the way (below 4k rpms) or fully (above 4k rpms) when PSE is on? That sounds like a decent compromise to tone down low rpm sound if one doesn't like it. Unfortunately, these vacuum-actuated valves are only off or on and cannot be programmed to stay partially open all the time. What collars are are using and how easy are they to install? Any isues with valve operation by mechanically blocking them from closing completely?
Right - Uncle Dude has his set the same way too... I'm sure several others.
The valves never close fully with the collars. To me it's perfect.
There's an entire thread on these things... they are very inexpensive (like $20-50 bucks depending on where you buy them) - takes about 10 minutes to put them on. You can adjust them up or down the valve stem... so you can set them to keep valves 100% open all the time, or like me, have them set in the most conservative position which I'd say is about 1/3 open.
When you press the PSE button to ON - the valves open earlier in the RPM range (vs off ~4k rpm), so it does make the exhaust slightly louder still when pressed ON. With PSE off you have a very nice linear gradual increase in sound and no increased intake sound that comes with PSE ON.
Also - with these collars - you don't really notice the transition when the valves open fully.

Here's the thread and the post where the collars are mentioned... there's also a lot of discussion about the collars in this thread.
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post18054149

Last edited by MrFunk; 07-20-2024 at 05:39 PM.
subwoofer (07-20-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 06:17 PM
Big Belly 711
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 61 Posts

I very much like being able to close the valves via the controller...I don't do it often, but in the rare instances I have a long distance road trip with my wife, it's nice to quiet things down some so we can have a conversation or listen to a podcast. The other 98% of the time I like it loud....
The following 3 users liked this post by Big Belly 711:
LooseNut (07-21-2024), subwoofer (07-20-2024), TRSCobra (07-20-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 06:24 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Right - Uncle Dude has his set the same way too... I'm sure several others.
The valves never close fully with the collars. To me it's perfect.
There's an entire thread on these things... they are very inexpensive (like $20-50 bucks depending on where you buy them) - takes about 10 minutes to put them on. You can adjust them up or down the valve stem... so you can set them to keep valves 100% open all the time, or like me, have them set in the most conservative position which I'd say is about 1/3 open.
When you press the PSE button to ON - the valves open earlier in the RPM range (vs off ~4k rpm), so it does make the exhaust slightly louder still when pressed ON. With PSE off you have a very nice linear gradual increase in sound and no increased intake sound that comes with PSE ON.
Also - with these collars - you don't really notice the transition when the valves open fully.

Here's the thread and the post where the collars are mentioned... there's also a lot of discussion about the collars in this thread.
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post18054149
Thanks. That’s clever to physically block the valves from closing. If I get annoyed with the disconnected vacuum lines with valves always fully open , I will know what to try next. Too bad Porsche designed it this way i.e on or off only and no adjustability.
@MrFunk if you don't mind sharing a picture of your setup, I would apprecciate it. To see where in the shaft the collor is positioned in your setup.

Last edited by subwoofer; 07-20-2024 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2024, 06:47 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Big Belly 711
I very much like being able to close the valves via the controller...I don't do it often, but in the rare instances I have a long distance road trip with my wife, it's nice to quiet things down some so we can have a conversation or listen to a podcast. The other 98% of the time I like it loud....
I may need to do that. My wife has only been in my Boxster a couple of times with today being the first time and the Kline with open valves. She was not impressed to put it mildly. Haha. A 1 hour drive was enough for her and she was complaining of a headache.
Old 07-20-2024, 08:50 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Thanks. That’s clever to physically block the valves from closing. If I get annoyed with the disconnected vacuum lines with valves always fully open , I will know what to try next. Too bad Porsche designed it this way i.e on or off only and no adjustability.
@MrFunk if you don't mind sharing a picture of your setup, I would apprecciate it. To see where in the shaft the collor is positioned in your setup.
Yep
Here you go.

I was cruising home yesterday evening after a dinner out. The top down, 8:30pm, 80F out still, beautiful weather, smooth road, 70mph and just the sound of wind and a underlying subtle hum of the exhaust. I was thinking how nice and quiet it was for that moment. Then I down shifted to 2nd and took a clover leaf at speed and accelerated out with that flat six scream, perfect for that moment... thats the personality I want from my exhaust.

The following 2 users liked this post by MrFunk:
subwoofer (07-20-2024), UncleDude (07-20-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 08:53 AM
Growler48
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 76 Posts

Totally agree! Same with mine!
jimdillard (07-24-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 09:11 AM
landsteam
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep
Here you go.

I was cruising home yesterday evening after a dinner out. The top down, 8:30pm, 80F out still, beautiful weather, smooth road, 70mph and just the sound of wind and a underlying subtle hum of the exhaust. I was thinking how nice and quiet it was for that moment. Then I down shifted to 2nd and took a clover leaf at speed and accelerated out with that flat six scream, perfect for that moment... thats the personality I want from my exhaust.

Can you or someone post (maybe the weblink?) the part (collar) to buy? I saw the thread about it and there was so many different options not sure which is correct?

Last edited by landsteam; 07-21-2024 at 09:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust