Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

SOUL | 718 GT4/Spyder Exhaust Development

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2021 | 03:21 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
looking forward to the update.

Thanks, I did see and hear that Dundon post but can’t say that it’s better than what a 981 exhaust would have sounded like without hearing what the 981 exhaust sounds like fitted up. The GT3 muffler was designed for a GT3 and perhaps isn’t therefore automatically translatable on sound to the GT4 engine and pipe lengths etc.
I had the GT3 conversion (cup style using only the lower passage) with race headers on my 981....not for the faint of heart but the sound was sooooo good...glorious! Not the same tone as a GT3 but pretty close.
I now have the Soul Race System with resonators....still using the OEM exhaust manifolds....but I don't see this system sounding the same....maybe in the very upper rev range.
I wont be possible to replicate the GT3 sound due to various factors, some that you already mention.
Old 03-27-2021 | 04:14 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

looking forward to the update.

Thanks, I did see and hear that Dundon post but can’t say that it’s better than what a 981 exhaust would have sounded like without hearing what the 981 exhaust sounds like fitted up. The GT3 muffler was designed for a GT3 and perhaps isn’t therefore automatically translatable on sound to the GT4 engine and pipe lengths etc.
I for one am not trying to replicate the '981 sound', and from personal experience with not only a Fabspeed cat-back on one 981 to a 981 with PSE I can whole heartedly say that the X-pipe rear section on my Spyder 4.0l engine sounds fabulous, definitely as good if not better.

Honestly Jim, if you haven't heard a OPF delete with a X-pipe rear section then you really haven't heard what this 4.0l can sound like at full song, it is incredible!

Oh, and yes, I know a guy with a GT3 RS, and he has had a lot of different exhausts on it so I have heard it many times in person and my comments above take this into account.
The following users liked this post:
Soul Performance (04-05-2021)
Old 03-27-2021 | 05:14 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I for one am not trying to replicate the '981 sound', and from personal experience with not only a Fabspeed cat-back on one 981 to a 981 with PSE I can whole heartedly say that the X-pipe rear section on my Spyder 4.0l engine sounds fabulous, definitely as good if not better.

Honestly Jim, if you haven't heard a OPF delete with a X-pipe rear section then you really haven't heard what this 4.0l can sound like at full song, it is incredible!

Oh, and yes, I know a guy with a GT3 RS, and he has had a lot of different exhausts on it so I have heard it many times in person and my comments above take this into account.
Westcoast, thanks, admittedly I haven't heard an OPF delete and x-pipe with the 4.0, and that's always part of the problem with exhaust selection is that a lot of this is leap of faith or internet clips. I've no doubt that it's considerably more inspiring than the stock system. What I have determined is that for some reason (on YouTube albeit) is that I prefer just the Soul OPF over their OPF + valved exhaust. Just the OPF sounds crisper. Again that's through YouTube and headphones, but the test loop and I assume the equipment used is the same. The Soul Race system and just the OPF seems much more of a close race.

And understand you aren't trying to replicate the 981 sound, but a pretty large contingent, including myself, is... and the top of the food chain 981's with PSE are widely regarded as some of the best sounding streetable Porsches to date. Personally I can do without the excessively artificial pops and crackles of the 981 setup, but assuming those stripped away, that sharp bark and blatting tone is what I and many others are seeking, and I just haven't heard a comparable offering yet. Again, I know the 4.0 isn't the 981 engine, so that may not ever be attainable or even close to, but I am definitely curious to at least see what the 981 exhaust would sound like on the 982 4.0.

And Westcoast, saving me the search and getting it wrong, can you remind me what the setup you have on your Spyder is that you are referring to? I think you went JCR, but don't want to assume, and I don't know your OPF status.

Thanks
Goodwood (03-28-2021)
Old 03-27-2021 | 05:37 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Westcoast, thanks, admittedly I haven't heard an OPF delete and x-pipe with the 4.0, and that's always part of the problem with exhaust selection is that a lot of this is leap of faith or internet clips. I've no doubt that it's considerably more inspiring than the stock system. What I have determined is that for some reason (on YouTube albeit) is that I prefer just the Soul OPF over their OPF + valved exhaust. Just the OPF sounds crisper. Again that's through YouTube and headphones, but the test loop and I assume the equipment used is the same. The Soul Race system and just the OPF seems much more of a close race.

And understand you aren't trying to replicate the 981 sound, but a pretty large contingent, including myself, is... and the top of the food chain 981's with PSE are widely regarded as some of the best sounding streetable Porsches to date. Personally I can do without the excessively artificial pops and crackles of the 981 setup, but assuming those stripped away, that sharp bark and blatting tone is what I and many others are seeking, and I just haven't heard a comparable offering yet. Again, I know the 4.0 isn't the 981 engine, so that may not ever be attainable or even close to, but I am definitely curious to at least see what the 981 exhaust would sound like on the 982 4.0.

And Westcoast, saving me the search and getting it wrong, can you remind me what the setup you have on your Spyder is that you are referring to? I think you went JCR, but don't want to assume, and I don't know your OPF status.

Thanks
Yes, the You Tube videos are not wholly representative of what these systems sound like, after more than 3 months of non-OEM exhaust on the Spyder it is interesting, I can hear certain sounds even in the You Tube because I know what it 'should' sound like... and what is missing!

The Fabspeed cat-back on the 981 really woke up the sound of that 3.4l but it was on all of the time, maybe a bit much when it was late or you really weren't in the mood. The PSE in the GTS 3.4l brought most if not all of the cat-back sound but now it was controllable with the valves, loud and obnoxious when you wanted it but much more sedate with the PSE off. Just like back then I thinks valves play an important role, I opted for the ability to control them with the Cargraphic unit, Soul has a similar one, to a me worthwhile option.

Additionally that artificial noise on over-run, I initially liked it then after awhile it seemed too much, actually contrived, just by feathering the throttle on deceleration you could have it crackling a farting forever, obviously not real either in intensity or amounts. The 4.0l seemed devoid of that until the day I replaced the OEM GPF units, all of a sudden there is a real bark at start up and on throttle lift, a brap, just right for my tastes and then on decel the same, some overruns but more natural in intensity and number and not going on forever, I would say much more real now. You can hear them a little just with an X-pipe rear section but with the GPF deleted it not only brings them up in volume but the whole system seems to clear its throat quite a bit.

So my set-up with a 2 mode valve controller is: Porsche OEM headers and cat followed by Akra link-pipes flowing into a JCR Valved Silenced Race Pipe.

And don't let that word 'Silenced' miss lead you to believe it is quiet, the silencers take the edge off when the valves are closed (which can be welcomed) but when the valves are open it is as loud as I would ever want my street car to be!

HTH

Last edited by Westcoast; 03-27-2021 at 05:43 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Westcoast:
Goodwood (03-28-2021), metalone (03-27-2021), UncleDude (03-27-2021)
Old 03-27-2021 | 09:53 PM
HooosierDaddy
Racer

Thanks for posting. I keep coming back to this (simple) configuration, and am strongly thinking of exactly this setup, Soul OAP with the valves forced open. I absolutely despise the non linear exhaust build with the stock PSE programming. I appreciate a GT3's more seamless shriek, but that's getting more Italian territory, and this GT4/Spyder can't mimic that effectively so then why even chase it I think. And when I listen to a 911 Cup or RSR at the track it sounds nothing like that. Those cars have this eardrum splitting cracking sound that's lower on the register than a street GT3, and I think this 4.0 seems to align more to that naturally for whatever reason. The OAP with stock everything else seems to have a bit of that ragged anger sound that I'm looking for. It's not perfect (still waiting to see what FVD has to say), but to me it's closer to the sound I am looking for than everything else I've heard yet.

And I've said in another post, I would really like to see an exhaust company (Soul are you listening?) mock up some OAPs that mate with the 981 PSE exhaust and remove the aero for testing so it will fit and hang that 981 exhaust off the back and put things to bed for all of us that are trying to chase the 981 sound. Either it still sounds amazing with that exhaust in 4.0L form and we need to find a way to pipe things with the aero to capture that sound or we can all get on with life knowing that the 4.0 just isn't ever going to sound anything like the 981.
Have the SOUL rear section coming as well and will updated with new video.

If one is looking to add sound, not spend more than 2K and willing to disconnect PSE... they could have a great sounding car with a few extra ponies and torque as a bonus. The PSE is, I have no way to describe it other than "hollow"? It's fantastic with just OAP's but I'm personally looking for more!

Oh... and don't bother paying someone to install the OAP's or rear section. It's soooo easy and satisfying working on these cars.
The following 3 users liked this post by HooosierDaddy:
Goodwood (03-28-2021), Shawn Clark (03-28-2021), Soul Performance (03-29-2021)
Old 04-03-2021 | 10:29 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

An update on my setup....decided to install the race headers (other brand), already had the Soul resonated race system.
The sounds is 100% race car...as in RSR...definitely not for the faint of hearth. The drone is still the same as with the Soul Race System alone but the volume and tone changes.
It's less deep, more raspy (????)....on the upper end of the revs it's beautiful but got to admit this is above my previous setup on the 981 GT4.
These race style rear sections with aftermarket OAP and race headers is a combo better reserve for 100% track time.

So....based on the above the race headers are coming off the car as we speak...I do use the car around town and to go out at night from time to time so this setup is a no go.
Probably with sport headers the sound will be much better and bearable on a daily basis.....I have come to the conclusion that you need something in the system (either cats, GPF or a muffler) as full straight through (even w/ resonators) is a bit too much.
Will leave the Soul Race System on as I think it's a nice compromise but if I do try the race headers again I need a different rear section that muffles the sound a bit and also smooth out the tone

alwaysdriving (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021 | 11:30 AM
alwaysdriving
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmartpr
An update on my setup....decided to install the race headers (other brand), already had the Soul resonated race system.
The sounds is 100% race car...as in RSR...definitely not for the faint of hearth. The drone is still the same as with the Soul Race System alone but the volume and tone changes.
It's less deep, more raspy (????)....on the upper end of the revs it's beautiful but got to admit this is above my previous setup on the 981 GT4.
These race style rear sections with aftermarket OAP and race headers is a combo better reserve for 100% track time.

So....based on the above the race headers are coming off the car as we speak...I do use the car around town and to go out at night from time to time so this setup is a no go.
Probably with sport headers the sound will be much better and bearable on a daily basis.....I have come to the conclusion that you need something in the system (either cats, GPF or a muffler) as full straight through (even w/ resonators) is a bit too much.
Will leave the Soul Race System on as I think it's a nice compromise but if I do try the race headers again I need a different rear section that muffles the sound a bit and also smooth out the tone

didn't had this issue with my setup as its well sorted without having no where near mild drone level from 2 - 2.8k. Soul valved exhaust imho is the best R&D'd for the GT4 period. if i were aiming 100% for dallying my car i would've gone for their street headers only mid section over axles would be still akra. fact is you don't need to spend a kidney for a full titanium or inconel to have the best of everything and don't listen mostly to claims of other brands as they will be biased. listen to someone who really is a critic person such as me and tried to give your their real experience after a while.
your option of having the Soul race exhaust is alone is big for volume and drone in the street. which is why they describe it its not for the faint of heart. also the catless headers made the biggest gains but didn't made the dronee much unlike the over axles and catback fyi
Old 04-04-2021 | 12:11 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alwaysdriving
didn't had this issue with my setup as its well sorted without having no where near mild drone level from 2 - 2.8k. Soul valved exhaust imho is the best R&D'd for the GT4 period. if i were aiming 100% for dallying my car i would've gone for their street headers only mid section over axles would be still akra. fact is you don't need to spend a kidney for a full titanium or inconel to have the best of everything and don't listen mostly to claims of other brands as they will be biased. listen to someone who really is a critic person such as me and tried to give your their real experience after a while.
your option of having the Soul race exhaust is alone is big for volume and drone in the street. which is why they describe it its not for the faint of heart. also the catless headers made the biggest gains but didn't made the dronee much unlike the over axles and catback fyi
Probably if I switch the Race System for OAP + Rear Soul valved system the race headers would be Ok....as I mentioned you need something in between that attenuates the sound.
I'm really happy with the Soul Race System with the stock exhaust manifolds but wanted to get the gains a good header provides...maybe sport headers with cats?
I will give it some time to read other peoples posts and do a bit more research.

I have another thing to keep in mind...my car is PDK so if I let it pick the gears on the street you usually drive between 2-3000 rpms.
Also, when I tested the race headers the car had an inconsistent idle and hesitation under 2000 rpms, no CELs.
Switched to stock manifold and everything was gone...strange and I'm guessing it could be something with the PDK and ECU tuning
Old 04-04-2021 | 12:14 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

BTW...when I mentioned about rear sections + OAP and Race headers I was talking about rear sections with no mufflers at all...like the Soul Race system.
Old 04-05-2021 | 02:29 AM
ltfl09
Racer

John/Mike
Question: For the controller, can I just connect the OEM vacuum lines to the soul valves and be done? Is there a necessity to program and a is there a way to program to the exhaust button?
Old 04-05-2021 | 10:58 AM
Soul Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bwhip
I'm sure it's not that loud, definitely a mic placement issue. Inside the car it doesn't sound overly loud at all. I may just delete the post because I don't want people to get the wrong impression. It sounds fantastic, not at all obnoxious.
I enjoyed that video, mic placement may not be realistic for comparison to in person experience but boy did that video sound the business haha.

Originally Posted by *LongFella81
John/SOUL,

I might have missed the details in this wonderful thread, but can you provide the HP/TQ for the: Sport Package Exhaust (Valved Exhaust System with Comp OAP)?

Debating between that and the Race Exhaust. Some weight savings with the Race Exhaust... difference mainly HP/TQ and the use of the PSE button, right??

Thank you ! ! !
The Race Exhaust made 25-30hp/tq in an independent dyno test. The Sport Package should be within 5-10hp/tq of those numbers taking into consider the dual flow paths of the exhaust rather than a single 2.5" flow path of the Race Exhaust. Now, the Sport Package has a much much more reasonable cabin presence between 2000-2800rpm even with valves open compared to the Race Exhaust, and maintains the ability to fly under the radar with valves closed when you want to. It also has a bit less overall sound level compared to the Race Exhaust.

Originally Posted by *LongFella81
Sub'd

Got a GT4 being held by the Stop Sale... so I have plenty of research time now!
Yeah I heard about that, and saw the details about it today. No Bueno, and hope it is resolved quickly and efficiently to get your car in hand ASAP!

Regards,
John Gaydos

John Gaydos- Owner, Performance Specialist
Cell - (484) 883-6197
johng@soulpp.com

Jon Wheel - Marketing Manager
jwheel@soulpp.com

bwhip (04-06-2021)
Old 04-05-2021 | 11:53 AM
Soul Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for posting. I keep coming back to this (simple) configuration, and am strongly thinking of exactly this setup, Soul OAP with the valves forced open. I absolutely despise the non linear exhaust build with the stock PSE programming. I appreciate a GT3's more seamless shriek, but that's getting more Italian territory, and this GT4/Spyder can't mimic that effectively so then why even chase it I think. And when I listen to a 911 Cup or RSR at the track it sounds nothing like that. Those cars have this eardrum splitting cracking sound that's lower on the register than a street GT3, and I think this 4.0 seems to align more to that naturally for whatever reason. The OAP with stock everything else seems to have a bit of that ragged anger sound that I'm looking for. It's not perfect (still waiting to see what FVD has to say), but to me it's closer to the sound I am looking for than everything else I've heard yet.

And I've said in another post, I would really like to see an exhaust company (Soul are you listening?) mock up some OAPs that mate with the 981 PSE exhaust and remove the aero for testing so it will fit and hang that 981 exhaust off the back and put things to bed for all of us that are trying to chase the 981 sound. Either it still sounds amazing with that exhaust in 4.0L form and we need to find a way to pipe things with the aero to capture that sound or we can all get on with life knowing that the 4.0 just isn't ever going to sound anything like the 981.
Originally Posted by jacksot
Better than the 981 exhaust, I know Dundon attached their GT3 muffler for testing, the thread here and the post with video here. Sounded great and destroyed the rear aero and downforce, but good for a data point.

For me, I think a valved x-pipe with OAP (stock manifolds and cats) is my ideal setup on this car in order to help mitigate drone, improve sound and not get too many noise complaints from my neighbours. I'll give an update when I receive my Soul valved exhaust, as it will be paired with Akra OAPs. A combination I have yet to see/hear.
Running the factory GT3 center muffler is just not feasible for many reasons. The biggest one for us is that we would also never consider implementing that muffler into any configuration given how unreliable they are, they break and they break all the time especially those made in titanium. Back when I was at AutoQuest Motorsports we had a shipping container filled with factory exhausts, and there was a nice pile of blown up GT3 center mufflers in there. Now if you scroll back in the thread to post #360 (definitely check it out the details on the R&D) you'll see that we did release our Valved Exhaust System utilizing an X-Pipe both internally of the bespoke muffler, and externally as well. The X-Pipe gives it that higher, smoother pitch more akin to the GT3 that people are looking for and our setup keeps the experience very reasonable at cruising speeds. Here is a video and some photos of our Sport Package, combining our Competition Over Axle Pipes and Valved Exhaust System.

Best regards,
John Gaydos

Old 04-05-2021 | 12:14 PM
Soul Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for chiming in with your feedback! I'm still quite thrilled that we got this setup honed in cross continents and it has exceeded your expectations. Cannot wait to see/hear some videos of your setup in action

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Probably if I switch the Race System for OAP + Rear Soul valved system the race headers would be Ok....as I mentioned you need something in between that attenuates the sound.
I'm really happy with the Soul Race System with the stock exhaust manifolds but wanted to get the gains a good header provides...maybe sport headers with cats?
I will give it some time to read other peoples posts and do a bit more research.

I have another thing to keep in mind...my car is PDK so if I let it pick the gears on the street you usually drive between 2-3000 rpms.
Also, when I tested the race headers the car had an inconsistent idle and hesitation under 2000 rpms, no CELs.
Switched to stock manifold and everything was gone...strange and I'm guessing it could be something with the PDK and ECU tuning
It sounds to me like the Street Headers/ Race Exhaust would be an ideal fit for your goals in particular. You've never been one to care much for drone, and the Street Headers would be more cost effective than switching to an OAP/VES setup reusing the race headers you had some odd results with. I would expect the performance numbers to be pretty damn similar between Street Headers/Race Exhaust and Race Headers/OAP/VES, though the combination with our VES would have very noticeably less drone under 3k.

Originally Posted by ltfl09
John/Mike
Question: For the controller, can I just connect the OEM vacuum lines to the soul valves and be done? Is there a necessity to program and a is there a way to program to the exhaust button?
Hey there, could you PM us your contact information so we can give you a ring? We'd like to clarify the questions and answer it appropriately for you.

Best regards,
John Gaydos
Old 04-05-2021 | 02:00 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Looking forward to receiving my Soul competition headers and resonated race exhaust.....whenever they can be manufactured! Ill post numbers and video after install.
The following 2 users liked this post by ggreg911:
MEM82 (04-05-2021), Soul Performance (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021 | 05:02 PM
*LongFella81
Instructor

Had a great conversation with John earlier today. Super knowledgable and was kind enough to sit on the phone and answer ALL my questions. Thank you!

Just ordered (via Momentum Worx) the Soul Race Exhaust (Resonated). Also got the slash cut (signature satin) tips from Soul.

Drone is not a big deal to me... even on a daily driver
The following 3 users liked this post by *LongFella81:
ggreg911 (04-05-2021), Momentum Worx (04-06-2021), Poupon McArr (04-06-2021)

Quick Reply: SOUL | 718 GT4/Spyder Exhaust Development