Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

SOUL | 718 GT4/Spyder Exhaust Development

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 09:55 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche444
Soul OAP, with *** off, I have no drone when off, when on, the drone is annoying as hell, especially long drives, that’s when I turn it off.
Interesting, most have reported that there is increased drone when removing the OEM OAP and replacing them with straight through designs from any manufacturer.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:03 AM
AndyE1976
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LZRD GRN
AndyE:

It has been hard to keep up with all the exhaust threads.....

Could you remind us if you have other exhaust changes or just the "resonated race exhaust"?????

Cheers!
Just the resonated race exhaust.

Incidentally, my wife is fine with it - she didn't even need to turn her hearing aids off!
Old 03-08-2021, 09:21 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
Sad that we all have to keep putting up with so much drone. Would be nice if more of the vendors could come up with solutions to this problem and have good in car videos and testimonials to substantiate such.
I think this is evidence to support the fact that exhaust drone is an incredibly complex phenomenon. There are obvious solutions for it, the problem is that each of those solutions involves creating flow restrictions. When you want to make an exhaust where you see proper dyno gains by avoiding any kind of restriction you are going to run into drone as a fact of life.
The following users liked this post:
Soul Performance (03-09-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 09:29 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,478 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
I think this is evidence to support the fact that exhaust drone is an incredibly complex phenomenon. There are obvious solutions for it, the problem is that each of those solutions involves creating flow restrictions. When you want to make an exhaust where you see proper dyno gains by avoiding any kind of restriction you are going to run into drone as a fact of life.

This...also the sensitivity of people to drone varies a lot.
I just got my Race exhaust installed over the weekend (will wait a bit more for the headers) and yes, it's loud but the drone I find it Ok and minimal for a race exhaust....it's actually much less than my previous 981 GT4 with a GT3 + race headers exhaust.
You can feel the power gains with this one....I'm actually amazed a N/A car can improve so much with a simple cat back.
I'll take the power gains and improved sound over a quieter/less drone system...I might as well get OPF delete pipes and leave the stock muffler if I wanted that.
Got the Braille Carbon battery also on the car so chopped close to 60 lbs between both.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:42 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmartpr
You can feel the power gains with this one....I'm actually amazed a N/A car can improve so much with a simple cat back.
Obvious improvements to performance from the "race" exhaust, in my opinion:

- 2.5" from the headers back without any bottlenecks
- One flow path, so no colliding of the main and secondary path near the end (because the more restrictive path isn't blocked when the valves open there is flow through the large and small path which then doesn't merge so much as run back into itself)
- Crossover pipe

The first two are a big deal I suspect. The X pipe is probably hardly measurable but does make the sound nicer. What would teach us a lot is if we could see the race exhaust dyno'd against the valved solution w/ the split OAP.

It's annoying that this "ideal" and very affordable solution for power becomes totally unlivable once you add (race) headers to it. Though adding some sport cats near the end of the OAP wouldn't be too hard I suppose.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:46 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,478 Likes on 919 Posts

Obvious improvements to performance from the "race" exhaust, in my opinion:

- 2.5" from the headers back without any bottlenecks
- One flow path, so no colliding of the main and secondary path near the end (because the more restrictive path isn't blocked when the valves open there is flow through the large and small path which then doesn't merge so much as run back into itself)
- Crossover pipe

The first two are a big deal I suspect. The X pipe is probably hardly measurable but does make the sound nicer. What would teach us a lot is if we could see the race exhaust dyno'd against the valved solution w/ the split OAP.

It's annoying that this "ideal" and very affordable solution for power becomes totally unlivable once you add (race) headers to it. Though adding some sport cats near the end of the OAP wouldn't be too hard I suppose.

Agreed....., specially the second one, I wanted a simple, single path exhaust to maximize power.
Guess you could modify the Race OAP with some HJS cats. I have the race headers in standby right now.....my guess the overall volume will go up but mostly at WOT, will try them anyway in a few weeks.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:30 AM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyE1976
Just the resonated race exhaust.

Incidentally, my wife is fine with it - she didn't even need to turn her hearing aids off!
Now that is funny!!

Cheers!
alwaysdriving (03-09-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 11:13 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,491 Likes on 830 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
Sad that we all have to keep putting up with so much drone. Would be nice if more of the vendors could come up with solutions to this problem and have good in car videos and testimonials to substantiate such.
lovetoturn,

And ^^^ that's exactly one major reason I'm leaving the Porsche Factory Exhaust on mine.
I've been down that road many-many times in the past and this time I'm Not going down it !!!

Terry
Old 03-08-2021, 11:17 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,456 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
lovetoturn,

And ^^^ that's exactly one major reason I'm leaving the Porsche Factory Exhaust on mine.
I've been down that road many-many times in the past and this time I'm Not going down it !!!

Terry
If you heard the Spyder I drove last week with the Soul Race exhaust I think you would change your mind...it sounded awesome, and I ordered a Spyder the next day.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:32 AM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 289 Posts

Agreed....., specially the second one, I wanted a simple, single path exhaust to maximize power.
Guess you could modify the Race OAP with some HJS cats. I have the race headers in standby right now.....my guess the overall volume will go up but mostly at WOT, will try them anyway in a few weeks.
I know this is the Soul thread - but other vendors have exactly this configuration available.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:36 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,456 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Just get the Soul Street headers, which come with high-flow cats, and the pipes that eliminate the OPFs.

And to address the last comment, we all know others make some of these as well but Soul does it just as well, if not better in cases, and their customer service is second to none so I am not sure why someone would look elsewhere.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
Momentum Worx (03-08-2021), Soul Performance (03-09-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 11:47 AM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Cool.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:54 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TDT
I know this is the Soul thread - but other vendors have exactly this configuration available.
Well, yes. But if you look at the price of the Soul race exhaust and add the cost of two HJS cores (say $1K to 1200) and a bit of welding from a shop (couple hundred) you're still only like halfway to the cost of some of the other offerings. And clearly the Soul solution makes very good power to begin with.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCviggen:
Momentum Worx (03-08-2021), TDT (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 12:03 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Well, yes. But if you look at the price of the Soul race exhaust and add the cost of two HJS cores (say $1K to 1200) and a bit of welding from a shop (couple hundred) you're still only like halfway to the cost of some of the other offerings. And clearly the Soul solution makes very good power to begin with.
Ok yes, this makes logical & objective sense.

Last edited by TDT; 03-08-2021 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:07 AM
jdmporscheguy
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

doublepost oops

Last edited by jdmporscheguy; 03-09-2021 at 01:09 AM.

Quick Reply: SOUL | 718 GT4/Spyder Exhaust Development