Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

SOUL | 718 GT4/Spyder Exhaust Development

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 08:50 PM
rooster17
Pro

Received 595 Likes on 235 Posts

Had the resonated race exhaust installed yesterday and spent the better part of today driving. I love it. For me, it’s not too loud in the cabin and the drone hasn’t been an issue. Sure, it’s there. But it’s not terribly difficult to downshift a gear when you get into it. I don’t find myself in the drone range hardly at all anyway. The drone, again for me, isn’t as bad at neighborhood speeds. Highway with the top up it’s pretty bad on the meat of it. Great job Soul! All done rambling for now.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:05 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by rooster17
Had the resonated race exhaust installed yesterday and spent the better part of today driving. I love it. For me, it’s not too loud in the cabin and the drone hasn’t been an issue. Sure, it’s there. But it’s not terribly difficult to downshift a gear when you get into it. I don’t find myself in the drone range hardly at all anyway. The drone, again for me, isn’t as bad at neighborhood speeds. Highway with the top up it’s pretty bad on the meat of it. Great job Soul! All done rambling for now.
Thanks for the feedback. Definitely getting one!
Old 01-16-2021, 09:41 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by gac1077
I have a Spyder put my race exhaust about a week ago and love it, the drone is not a problem for me, I wish it was louder. I had a 981 GT4 which I had a race exhaust from another company which Matt drove multiple times at the SmokiesGT event the drone in that setup was insane and I put probably 30k miles on that setup. Thank you! John. I'm set!!
Maybe this will make it louder but not too much:
https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-718...hoCVCEQAvD_BwE

might be approaching 470hp with this and soul race exhaust. I’d be surprised if the GT4RS does not use the same motor. So much gains for a 6 cylinder with just exhaust! Really would be interested to see if anyone will be / are testing the intake side of things, especially given much gain with air coming out.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:11 PM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rooster17
Just to confirm, do you have the Soul OAP's as well??

Thank you!
Old 01-16-2021, 11:17 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,478 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by LZRD GRN
Just to confirm, do you have the Soul OAP's as well??

Thank you!

The race system doesn't require the OAP as it's a complete, single tube, system from the exhausts manifold to the muffler.
The following users liked this post:
Soul Performance (01-21-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 11:57 PM
rooster17
Pro

Received 595 Likes on 235 Posts

Yep, what jmartpr said.

I had the OAP section wrapped in header wrap to reduce heat. Little extra piece of mind.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:18 AM
slilley
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
Remember, every 3dB doubles the volume.
Actually, when it comes to perceived sound at the eardrum, it's a 10dB difference to double the perceived volume. To double the sound pressure requires a 6dB change. The 3dB rule applies to the raw power levels used to create these sound level changes. Lots more here: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm
Old 01-17-2021, 10:39 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by slilley
Actually, when it comes to perceived sound at the eardrum, it's a 10dB difference to double the perceived volume. To double the sound pressure requires a 6dB change. The 3dB rule applies to the raw power levels used to create these sound level changes. Lots more here: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm
I stand corrected and thanks for the link. The 3dB number was beat into me years ago but it was always a power discussion, not SPL or perceived.

The point I was making is still valid, it doesn’t take a lot, from a measurement standpoint to make a significant change in the perceived volume. I.e. LOUD does not always equal GOOD. I know Soul gets it as do many of the aftermarket exhaust makers else they wouldn’t spend the thousands of dollars and man hours they do trying to perfect the noise.

This may **** some people off and honestly I don’t really care, race exhausts are not appropriate for street vehicles, period, full stop. IMHO people who install these on street vehicles are the same people who think the quality of a car audio system is measured in SPL. There’s a reason people who race cars professionally all wear ear protection.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:23 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,478 Likes on 919 Posts

This may **** some people off and honestly I don’t really care, race exhausts are not appropriate for street vehicles, period, full stop. IMHO people who install these on street vehicles are the same people who think the quality of a car audio system is measured in SPL. There’s a reason people who race cars professionally all wear ear protection.
Actually it doesn't **** me and good that you don't care as it's your opinion.....I have a race system and headers (pending installation) but what I'm looking for is not volume but the tone.
When I had the 981 the last system I tried (after a couple from different brands) was a GT3 conversion without valves. I wasn't looking for the volume, that was a by product of running an aggressive setup. My goal was to mimic the GT3 sound/tone as close as possible, and it did.
Maybe this system I have now for the 718 will be too loud but I'm willing to try it to see the effects of it.....BTW, I do track my car a lot and it's just glorious to hear these uncorked engines sing...part of the track experience.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:24 PM
Foggy916
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

I

Old 01-17-2021, 02:38 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

Originally Posted by Foggy916
I am pretty sure he lives around the corner from me!
The following users liked this post:
Foggy916 (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 07:45 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

To be clear, I love the sounds high performance motors make at full song but there’s a time and place for it and I’ve changed the exhaust on virtually every car and motorcycle I’ve ever owned so I don’t think I’m quite as bad as the cartoon

Based on what Matt’s car sounded like with race headers and the switchable Soul exhaust I’m thinking a resonated race exhaust with high performance cats behind headers might dial down the volume enough without changing the tone to be a reasonable compromise. That’s kind of what Dundon is working on. https://www.dundonmotorsports.com/pr...street-headers. (Sorry, don’t mean to cross reference vendors in one thread)

For these cars the full on “race” exhausts are literally straight pipes with absolutely no silencing which, BTW will make the car illegal on a large number of race tracks all over the world, forget about the street.

Quite honestly I’d love to experiment with my Spyder’s exhaust but the prices are way beyond any benefit for me but I suppose it’s all relative. Maybe I’ll hit the PowerBall and just buy a cup car

Last edited by mjw930; 01-17-2021 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:39 PM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 272 Posts

Tire Temps after install of OAP? Has anyone checked tire temps before/after the installation? I installed the SOUL OAP a few weeks ago and I just purchased a pyrometer last week and i was shocked yesterday when my rear tires where 115 on the outside, 122 mid and 130 inside. I have the stock setup, so no mod to camber and/or toe. Is this normal for the inside temp to be 15 degrees hotter, especially with no camber mod? I was going to get camber/toe mod, but now, i have to rethink this, because adding more camber will increase tire temp on the inside. I saw in post either here or another about excessive heat coming from the new SOUL OAP solution?

Thoughts?
Old 01-18-2021, 12:55 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche444
Tire Temps after install of OAP? Has anyone checked tire temps before/after the installation? I installed the SOUL OAP a few weeks ago and I just purchased a pyrometer last week and i was shocked yesterday when my rear tires where 115 on the outside, 122 mid and 130 inside. I have the stock setup, so no mod to camber and/or toe. Is this normal for the inside temp to be 15 degrees hotter, especially with no camber mod? I was going to get camber/toe mod, but now, i have to rethink this, because adding more camber will increase tire temp on the inside. I saw in post either here or another about excessive heat coming from the new SOUL OAP solution?

Thoughts?
Sorry, no luck with searching for anything on this forum... JCR posted in a thread that they determined that the inner tire temp was significantly affected by the OAP without heat shielding...
Old 01-18-2021, 01:12 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,788 Likes on 2,138 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche444

Thoughts?
C or F? What were the readings before Soul install?

Think I noticed one of the vendors selling a shielded solution measuring a 10-15 degree (can't remember if C or F) difference at the inside. Since it wasn't third party and not under strict controlled conditions it's just a single data point.

The GPF self cleans like your oven at home and the restriction both contribute a large amount of heat -- so stock shielding is understandable. Delete pipe has neither and is scavenging efficiently, so you'd think temps would be lower....dunno.

I don't remember anyone talking about OAP shielding in earlier generations until Akra and the 718 stock extreme shielding.

You run long enough eventually most things reach steady state anyway.

Quick Reply: SOUL | 718 GT4/Spyder Exhaust Development