Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

SOUL | 718 GT4/Spyder Exhaust Development

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 08:34 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 397 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by BWJ
I have a 718 Spyder and recently installed Soul's street valved exhaust with the overaxle pipes. I am still running the OE valve control. The sound of the exhaust is a big improvement over the stock set-up and the installation was very straight forward due to the very precise fitment of the parts. Parts quality is first rate. The one drawback was noticeable drone between 2000-2500 RPM. Above and below that, no drone, just better sound quality than OE. Once the valve controller opens things up (app. 3800 RPM), the system just rips in a very melodious way. However, having read about the potential contribution of the intake sound mechanism to the drone issue, I decided to see what disconnecting it would do. Rather than tear out the entire mechanism and have to plug the subsequent holes, I decided to simply plug up the sound tube where it enters the passenger compartment. All you have to do is disconnect the sound tube where it meets the right angle plastic tube fitting that attaches to the firewall, then stuff that right angle fitting with rolled up, high density, closed cell foam. I used a piece of 1/2 inch foam rolled into a tube shape and then stuffed inside the plastic tube. Just make sure it goes in deep enough to allow the sound tube hose to reconnect to the plastic tube when you are done. When finished, everything looks OE. To be sure I eliminated any contribution the sound tube was making to the drone issue, I also plugged the vacuum hose that operates the sound tube's flapper valve next to the intake box. This is a small curved rubber hose that connects the vacuum line to the flapper valve and is easy to access since it is not buried under other engine parts. The rubber hose is asymmetrical in that one end has a smaller inside diameter than the other. The small inside diameter end goes to the flapper valve and the larger inside diameter end of the hose goes to the vacuum line. If you get a 1/4" diameter allen head threaded plug (1/2 inch long or less), you can thread it into the large diameter end of the hose (barely touches) until it gets to the middle of the hose where it will dig in tight to the smaller diameter portion of the hose, creating a tight fit with no chance of vacuum leakage. Using this larger size threaded plug instead of a smaller diameter one not only provides a leak proof fit but also insures that there is no way the plug could ever be sucked back into the vacuum system, since it is much larger than the inside diameter of the vacuum line. Make sure you thread the fitting in far enough to leave the full length of the larger end of the hose available to properly fit over the vacuum line which has two raised edges (ridges) that should be covered by the hose when pressed on. Again, final result looks totally OE and since the operation of the flapper valve is vacuum controlled and not monitored by the ECU, no CEL possible. Now for the really good news: Virtually no drone at any RPM! A tiny bit is still audible between 2-2500 RPM but you really have to listen for it now as opposed to being annoyed by it in the past. For me, the results were almost unbelievable, the difference was that great. I understand that Soul designed this exhaust system to have the least drone with the valve control open all the time and that is the way they recommend it be used, but if you want to keep your valve control OE, or want to eliminate as much drone as possible under any circumstances (I'm sure it would work with the valves open, too), I can highly recommend this approach.
So to follow up on this: I just tried plugging that vacuum line (I was desperate for any fix) and oh my god it made a huge difference in the boomy cabin noise. Given that I only revved it to the offending RPMs in my garage, it probably reduced the drone in the 2000-2500rpm range by 80%. I am running the resonated race exhaust (so the drone is even more pronounced).
I will have to drive it tomorrow to give a complete assessment but if it holds, this made this exhaust so much more livable for me.

THANK YOU!

I neglected to snap pictures, and as for anyone who knows about getting the engine cover off they'll know once a day is enough (16 T30 screws + 8 pieces of trim to pry off / put back on is enough - though an impact ratchet helps a lot).
Detailed description: If you follow the tube of the sound symposer (connected to the firewall) back to where it connects to the air intake, you'll see it's connected to a contraption (vacuum valve) that has a single, thin (size of a straw) tube connected to it (it's on the passenger side rear wall of the engine bay opening). There's a short rubber thing that connects the plastic straw to the vacuum line. Wiggle the rubber part off of the vacuum valve (it can be done by hand) and plug it with something.
Disconnect where the red arrow is pointing (credit to Renno / Westcoast):

All I did was use a random screw I had laying around and stuff it in the vacuum line (the head of the screw is bigger than the opening) and leave it disconnected from the vacuum valve. Everything else I left connected and stuffed a microfiber in the sound symposer opening in the firewall.

Personally, I'm comfortable enough leaving this vacuum line plugged and hanging loose. It doesn't have a ton of play, the screw is not very loose, and it's also easily reversible without digging something out of the middle of the rubber tube.

Last edited by iliveoncaffiene; 05-03-2021 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:53 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,662 Likes on 2,713 Posts

@iliveoncaffiene Do you think something stuffed into the sound symposer would be enough? Can this be done from inside the cabin?

Everything else I left connected and stuffed a microfiber in the sound symposer opening in the firewall.
The following users liked this post:
Driv200 (05-10-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 09:19 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Westcoast
@iliveoncaffiene Do you think something stuffed into the sound symposer would be enough? Can this be done from inside the cabin?
No. This is what I had done at first and it was barely noticeable of a difference.
It's also not accessible without taking off the seatbelt plastic, the metal bar (4xT30 screws), and the trim piece under that. All of that just to pull back the carpet behind the seats a little (this is in the GT4 - idk the process in the Spyder).

The engine cover itself is 12 more T30 screws.
Driv200 (05-10-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 09:34 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
No. This is what I had done at first and it was barely noticeable of a difference.
It's also not accessible without taking off the seatbelt plastic, the metal bar (4xT30 screws), and the trim piece under that. All of that just to pull back the carpet behind the seats a little (this is in the GT4 - idk the process in the Spyder).

The engine cover itself is 12 more T30 screws.
Given that plugging the symposer doesn't provide the desired solution I guess that I may be going to have to open the engine compartment again...

Looking forward to hearing back on this:

I will have to drive it tomorrow to give a complete assessment but if it holds, this made this exhaust so much more livable for me.
Driv200 (05-10-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 07:53 AM
Skydude
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MEM82
Hi always, I will find out today. I haven't done WOT yet myself...but nice moderate throttle...but the shop owner took it for a ride and tested everything and he couldn't trigger it either and I made sure he pushed it a bit.
Were you able to find out and has your check engine light come on?
I did the same and the CEL came on about 300 miles later. Got mini cat spacers from Amazon.
Driv200 (05-10-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 08:22 AM
alwaysdriving
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BWJ
I have a 718 Spyder and recently installed Soul's street valved exhaust with the overaxle pipes. I am still running the OE valve control. The sound of the exhaust is a big improvement over the stock set-up and the installation was very straight forward due to the very precise fitment of the parts. Parts quality is first rate. The one drawback was noticeable drone between 2000-2500 RPM. Above and below that, no drone, just better sound quality than OE. Once the valve controller opens things up (app. 3800 RPM), the system just rips in a very melodious way. However, having read about the potential contribution of the intake sound mechanism to the drone issue, I decided to see what disconnecting it would do. Rather than tear out the entire mechanism and have to plug the subsequent holes, I decided to simply plug up the sound tube where it enters the passenger compartment. All you have to do is disconnect the sound tube where it meets the right angle plastic tube fitting that attaches to the firewall, then stuff that right angle fitting with rolled up, high density, closed cell foam. I used a piece of 1/2 inch foam rolled into a tube shape and then stuffed inside the plastic tube. Just make sure it goes in deep enough to allow the sound tube hose to reconnect to the plastic tube when you are done. When finished, everything looks OE. To be sure I eliminated any contribution the sound tube was making to the drone issue, I also plugged the vacuum hose that operates the sound tube's flapper valve next to the intake box. This is a small curved rubber hose that connects the vacuum line to the flapper valve and is easy to access since it is not buried under other engine parts. The rubber hose is asymmetrical in that one end has a smaller inside diameter than the other. The small inside diameter end goes to the flapper valve and the larger inside diameter end of the hose goes to the vacuum line. If you get a 1/4" diameter allen head threaded plug (1/2 inch long or less), you can thread it into the large diameter end of the hose (barely touches) until it gets to the middle of the hose where it will dig in tight to the smaller diameter portion of the hose, creating a tight fit with no chance of vacuum leakage. Using this larger size threaded plug instead of a smaller diameter one not only provides a leak proof fit but also insures that there is no way the plug could ever be sucked back into the vacuum system, since it is much larger than the inside diameter of the vacuum line. Make sure you thread the fitting in far enough to leave the full length of the larger end of the hose available to properly fit over the vacuum line which has two raised edges (ridges) that should be covered by the hose when pressed on. Again, final result looks totally OE and since the operation of the flapper valve is vacuum controlled and not monitored by the ECU, no CEL possible. Now for the really good news: Virtually no drone at any RPM! A tiny bit is still audible between 2-2500 RPM but you really have to listen for it now as opposed to being annoyed by it in the past. For me, the results were almost unbelievable, the difference was that great. I understand that Soul designed this exhaust system to have the least drone with the valve control open all the time and that is the way they recommend it be used, but if you want to keep your valve control OE, or want to eliminate as much drone as possible under any circumstances (I'm sure it would work with the valves open, too), I can highly recommend this approach.
you’re golden man!
Driv200 (05-10-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 11:06 AM
Big Belly 711
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul Performance
"This guy just put a sock in it"

Pete I just sprayed water all over my desk laughing at that

For those chiming in on this topic, we feel this is a SERIOUSLY underrated mod and a real gamechanger. Professionally documenting this with photos and video, along with putting together a little kit for those that want to do it, is a priority for us and we aim to have this done very soon for those that want to try it. Any photos or explanations of those that have tried this successfully, please post in this thread so we can all reference it moving forwards

Regards,
John Gaydos
The first and one of the only mods I plan on having done in the CGTS (once it's here!) are the Soul over axle pipes ....I'm not the handiest guy so will have a shop do the work....can anyone out there estimate the time it takes to complete this mod (estimated hours of labor)....I know it varies and there are some variables, but just a ballpark? They are an Armytrix shop so they haven't installed the Soul's yet and the cost will be based on the time it takes.....thanks for input!
Would also be helpful to get an estimate on the time it takes to install the Soul Valve Controller (The CGTS will be PDK)...
Driv200 (05-10-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 12:40 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Big Belly 711
The first and one of the only mods I plan on having done in the CGTS (once it's here!) are the Soul over axle pipes ....I'm not the handiest guy so will have a shop do the work....can anyone out there estimate the time it takes to complete this mod (estimated hours of labor)....I know it varies and there are some variables, but just a ballpark? They are an Armytrix shop so they haven't installed the Soul's yet and the cost will be based on the time it takes.....thanks for input!
Would also be helpful to get an estimate on the time it takes to install the Soul Valve Controller (The CGTS will be PDK)...
Assuming you have something to plug the line, I did it in my garage in ~30 minutes (I have prior experience getting the correct trim pieces off and getting the cover off). 90% of that time is getting the engine cover off.
For a newbie, it'd probably be an hour to get the cover off.
Tools required: T30 torx bit, a very low profile socket wrench (required for 2 specific bolts on the engine cover. I used
this this
), and preferably a plastic trim tool.

If a shop already has to get on top of the engine to install a valve controller: 5 minutes of additional time. Unhook vacuum line, plug it, done.

Edit: If you meant the OAP itself, then I'd guesstimate 2-4 hours.

Last edited by iliveoncaffiene; 05-04-2021 at 01:01 PM.
Big Belly 711 (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 12:43 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 269 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Skydude
Were you able to find out and has your check engine light come on?
I did the same and the CEL came on about 300 miles later. Got mini cat spacers from Amazon.
Hey Sky, my apologies. I didn't get a chance to call but I'll email him today and find out for sure! Will keep you posted. I havent been able to drive it since the weekend I picked it up. Been away. Will try to drive it today if I finish work early enough and report back. Mike
Skydude (05-11-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 12:51 PM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Belly 711
For the OAP, I did it myself and was my first time working on this car. I'd say I'm moderately skilled. If you take the time to do things right it will take a couple of hours between raising the car, removing the wheels, swapping the OAP and putting all back together. You will need to take the diffuser out to reach the e-torx screws that hold the rear muffler in place and loosening them up, otherwise you have no angle to pull the OEM OAP off as they have fixed/welded studs and not bolts/nuts. Be careful not to damage the steel gasket in the flange between OAP and muffler, you will need to reuse it.
I did that using a quickjack, so with a proper lift you would probably save 30 minutes from what I described above.
Big Belly 711 (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 02:11 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Given that plugging the symposer doesn't provide the desired solution I guess that I may be going to have to open the engine compartment again...

Looking forward to hearing back on this:
Update: I have to alter my "reduced by 80%" statement from above. It probably reduced it ~30-40% overall, and it tightened the rev range it appears in. Before, anywhere from 2000-2800 was a no-go. Now it's ~2100-2400rpm, and is slightly more bearable.
So, it isn't the "oh my god" change I thought it would be.

Interesting note: it only happens when in gear. I can rev the car (while rolling and standing still) in neutral and hold it at 2200rpm (prime drone range) and there is absolutely 0 drone. But as soon as I'm in gear it's there again. This may be something I'm overlooking but does anyone know why this would be?
Old 05-04-2021, 02:20 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
Update: I have to alter my "reduced by 80%" statement from above. It probably reduced it ~30-40% overall, and it tightened the rev range it appears in. Before, anywhere from 2000-2800 was a no-go. Now it's ~2100-2400rpm, and is slightly more bearable.
So, it isn't the "oh my god" change I thought it would be.

Interesting note: it only happens when in gear. I can rev the car (while rolling and standing still) in neutral and hold it at 2200rpm (prime drone range) and there is absolutely 0 drone. But as soon as I'm in gear it's there again. This may be something I'm overlooking but does anyone know why this would be?
Thanks for the update, 'slightly more bearable' is something but 80% would have been awesome!

When in gear or more specifically under load a lot of the engine tuning changes, for a given throttle position and load the vario-cam will have the valves in a different position, the spark timing and the injector pulses as well... these would all contribute a very different sound from the engine especially drone.
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
iliveoncaffiene (05-04-2021), tdlondon (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 11:39 PM
Clementine33
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 101 Posts

This is probably a very basic post (read dumb) at this point. I talked w/ Paul at Soul Performance several times today, and he was very helpful in determining what I want. I ordered the OAP w/ valve controller instead of the total sport package including the valved exhaust for my Porsche & also sport cats for my '21 hard-top convertible C8. Now I just have to wait 8 weeks...
Old 05-05-2021, 03:06 AM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 512 Posts

So now with the sound symposer disabled, the drone range and level reduced, maybe a Helmholtz resonator set at 2200 rpm could almost wipe out the rest of the dreaded drone. Wouldn't that be nice.

Last edited by lovetoturn; 05-05-2021 at 03:37 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:50 AM
alwaysdriving
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
So now with the sound symposer disabled, the drone range and level reduced, maybe a Helmholtz resonator set at 2200 rpm could almost wipe out the rest of the dreaded drone. Wouldn't that be nice.
lovetoturn Helmholtz is not as easy as it sounds, it will also change the tone and increase back pressure which will effect all of the rev range.
although back in my Tundra SC days it was a good solution but did little rub to the power and produced a side effect like flaps of fly sound.
you may even reduce the 2200 drone but i think people will hate the sound it becomes.....
which again why i went for Soul valved exhaust as they went for dozens of iterations to find best blend of sound levels when loud, quietness and exhaust flow level which is not far from their straight pipe exhaust i think

Last edited by alwaysdriving; 05-05-2021 at 07:21 AM.

Quick Reply: SOUL | 718 GT4/Spyder Exhaust Development