Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Exhaust flap switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 05:31 PM
works_team
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by alexk79
Hey works_team, I’ve never used systems like these before but I'll be ordering my system from Schmid Motorsport as I've already installed their exhaust. I'm waiting on feedback this week from them as I would like to purchase the system that uses the cigarette lighter but then the lid doesn't close properly. Stefan Schmid says that he has a GT3rs customer that modified the tray so that he could close the lid. Once I have more info I’ll place my order, it will be one of the 2 in the pic. More info will follow once installed. Cheers.
that’s great, keep us posted. I sent an email to Cargraphic on the installation process and a waiting to hear back. Will post their reply on this thread!
Old 04-23-2020, 05:34 PM
works_team
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZZ
I see that Armytrix has a remote fob and a dongle that plugs into the ODB to manually control the the exhaust actuator. They are light on info so I cant really tell how or what it does exactaly.
Would you have a link? I can’t find it. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2020, 10:02 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

https://www.armytrix.com/shop/obdii-...te-control-kit
Old 04-24-2020, 08:51 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by alwaysdriving
Porsche is conservative in noise pollution
One person's "noise pollution" is another's "glorious soundtrack"!! Seriously, it isn't Porsche's choice; blame Euro regs!
Old 04-24-2020, 09:05 PM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
One person's "noise pollution" is another's "glorious soundtrack"!! Seriously, it isn't Porsche's choice; blame Euro regs!
So true, I think unplugged / always open valves will be enough for me at least for a while. Watching the CarsWithLuke vids, it sounds good enough. If I add OPF delete pipes, it will likely be the perfect sound for me.
The following users liked this post:
Rennolazine (05-21-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 09:54 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Flacht6MT
So true, I think unplugged / always open valves will be enough for me at least for a while. Watching the CarsWithLuke vids, it sounds good enough. If I add OPF delete pipes, it will likely be the perfect sound for me.
I am hoping to also fall into this catagory. Let’s see how it goes.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:34 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
I am hoping to also fall into this catagory. Let’s see how it goes.
My SA has been ADAMANT that the Canadian cars are “sans” OPF...says he asked someone from the factory directly. So why would you need OPF delete pipes? Have you heard otherwise?
Old 04-25-2020, 04:44 PM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4MIDABLE
My SA has been ADAMANT that the Canadian cars are “sans” OPF...says he asked someone from the factory directly. So why would you need OPF delete pipes? Have you heard otherwise?
You need delete pipes because regardless of region the metal receptacles / structure is left in there for all cars. The only difference is the OPF filter active coating and monitoring mechanisms of the OPF in regulated countries. The metal recepticle of the OPF (and we believe non-active filter inside) still attenuates the sound in non-OPF regions.

It would be nice to find out if someone cuts open the OPF recepticle in non-OPF regions that it is empty, but we doubt it.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:56 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Flacht6MT
You need delete pipes because regardless of region the metal receptacles / structure is left in there for all cars. The only difference is the OPF filter active coating and monitoring mechanisms of the OPF in regulated countries. The metal recepticle of the OPF (and we believe non-active filter inside) still attenuates the sound in non-OPF regions.

It would be nice to find out if someone cuts open the OPF recepticle in non-OPF regions that it is empty, but we doubt it.
Interesting. So with the absence of an OPF monitoring sensor, the theory is that one can remove and replace the OPF housing for a straight piece of pipe? and the ECU should not throw a CEL, correct? Any concerns with back-pressure issues?
Old 04-25-2020, 05:09 PM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

Interesting. So with the absence of an OPF monitoring sensor, the theory is that one can remove and replace the OPF housing for a straight piece of pipe? and the ECU should not throw a CEL, correct? Any concerns with back-pressure issues?
Yes, that's the idea, as the recepticle in non-OPF regions is just there for "show" and no CEL would be thrown. I doubt the OPF canisters are creating such immense backpressure it's going to adversely affect the power output, if anything, making it freer flowing would help the amount of constriction in the OEM system.

Old 04-25-2020, 05:14 PM
Dbridges
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

That's my opinion for NA cars, but I guess we need someone to try it! Supersprint has GPF delete pipes on their website, but no photos. https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/po...t-left.aspx#!/
As far as possible back-pressure issues, it would seem that if an exhaust replacement (rear muffler & valves) doesn't cause a CEL or require a tune, then removing the GPF wouldn't either.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:24 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Removing the GPF will be fine. The ECU wont know otherwise because ther is no sensor for it.

I was told that here in Australia we do not get the GPF. Well I think we have it, and I bet everyone does.
After 400 kms mashing the pedal. I got zero soot in the exhaust tips, and I mean zero. Its still all shiny in there!!!
Old 04-26-2020, 09:24 AM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Last page of this C&D article confirms. Doesn’t say Canadian cars but I would think this is a reasonable assumption.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.car...y-the-numbers/

United States models use a straight-through filter design without the expensive, soot-trapping precious-metal coating. This makes them inert and nothing more than sound attenuators.”

If your SA is so adamant have him put his money where his mouth is and bet you for some discount off the purchase of your new automobile.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:06 AM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

I just did the valves mod (unplugged both hoses).
I really like it under 4000 rpms. Valves are always open, it’s 15%-20% louder than before.
You hear the downshifts a little more now. Is it a radical change: NO. Is it better: YES. Low end torque; I didn’t notice any change.
I suspect a very subtle resonance at highway speeds (80mph in 6th gear).
Bottom line: worth it. I’d recommend doing it on a lift (takes 20 min). See below how I attached the hoses

The following 3 users liked this post by DocMo:
Croc999 (07-09-2020), Mcx (05-27-2020), Yellow Submarine (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 01:22 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DocMo
I just did the valves mod (unplugged both hoses).
I really like it under 4000 rpms. Valves are always open, it’s 15%-20% louder than before.
You hear the downshifts a little more now. Is it a radical change: NO. Is it better: YES. Low end torque; I didn’t notice any change.
I suspect a very subtle resonance at highway speeds (80mph in 6th gear).
Bottom line: worth it. I’d recommend doing it on a lift (takes 20 min). See below how I attached the hoses
Thanks Doc, are you going to plug the ends of the hoses? Doesn't seem like you did or maybe I'm mistaken.

Quick Reply: Exhaust flap switch