Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GTS 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 11:44 AM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

Isn't a big part of PPF having your car paint corrected before the application? It seems that the paint is pretty rough straight from the factory.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by idk_alex
Isn't a big part of PPF having your car paint corrected before the application? It seems that the paint is pretty rough straight from the factory.
Absolutely, not to mention that Porsche has had some hazing issues from the factory that required allowing the paint to gas out a bit before correcting and coating. No way I would put permanent PPF at the car straight out of the factory, nor would I allow an installer that I hadn't vetted first hand do such work. IIRC, there was a horror story on the GT3 subforum a few years back about a local German PPF install on an ED car.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:14 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Absolutely, not to mention that Porsche has had some hazing issues from the factory that required allowing the paint to gas out a bit before correcting and coating. No way I would put permanent PPF at the car straight out of the factory, nor would I allow an installer that I hadn't vetted first hand do such work. IIRC, there was a horror story on the GT3 subforum a few years back about a local German PPF install on an ED car.
Exactly,

If i was going to do ED and was worried about chips, I would just bring some track wrap with me and then have it paint corrected / wrapped when it comes stateside
The following users liked this post:
GT3ED (06-03-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 10:07 AM
DMDSpag
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Well fellas, been all over the place. Started with the 992S. Thinkin' about a GTS 4.0 or a GT4 now. 992 seems like it won't float the ol' boat as they say. It's not a bad car, but it seems like they wanted it to do double duty both lux and sport ...I've heard the car is loud inside and not as easy riding as people were thinking it would be. All the power comes earlier, and before you know it you are going too fast to even have fun on the way there. Different strokes' I guess.

I got myself an old E39 540i M sport that keeps on tickin'. One of the best highway cruisers and all around cars I've owned. She does all the daily drivin', easy livin', and comfort vibin' I need for longer trips n commutin'. Don't think I'll sell er' off to the meat farm, she's a keeper. So I got a gal to get me through the long trips, she stays quiet n does what I ask of er'. I'm on the hunt now for a firecracker', somethin' to make the ol' yonson jump if ya know what I mean !

Now I'm thinkin' about the GTS 4.0 or the GT4. Still want somethin' that'll be somewhat livable, but also need that spark. Y'all think the GTS 4.0 will be a better all arounder? Should I compromise or go ***** out with the GT4? The questions fer the ages I suppose...there gonna be problems even gettin' allocations for either one a these? Ah hell, I done rambled on enough, but y'all get the idea!

Old 06-05-2020, 10:41 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by DMDSpag
Well fellas, been all over the place. Started with the 992S. Thinkin' about a GTS 4.0 or a GT4 now. 992 seems like it won't float the ol' boat as they say. It's not a bad car, but it seems like they wanted it to do double duty both lux and sport ...I've heard the car is loud inside and not as easy riding as people were thinking it would be. All the power comes earlier, and before you know it you are going too fast to even have fun on the way there. Different strokes' I guess.

I got myself an old E39 540i M sport that keeps on tickin'. One of the best highway cruisers and all around cars I've owned. She does all the daily drivin', easy livin', and comfort vibin' I need for longer trips n commutin'. Don't think I'll sell er' off to the meat farm, she's a keeper. So I got a gal to get me through the long trips, she stays quiet n does what I ask of er'. I'm on the hunt now for a firecracker', somethin' to make the ol' yonson jump if ya know what I mean !

Now I'm thinkin' about the GTS 4.0 or the GT4. Still want somethin' that'll be somewhat livable, but also need that spark. Y'all think the GTS 4.0 will be a better all arounder? Should I compromise or go ***** out with the GT4? The questions fer the ages I suppose...there gonna be problems even gettin' allocations for either one a these? Ah hell, I done rambled on enough, but y'all get the idea!
Couple things:
1. Either this is a practiced way of typing, or it's the most grammatically correct "accent" represented in text I've ever seen.... No disrespect here just - I don't know what to say
2. There's GT4s for sale on dealer lots right now, just check AutoTrader. The GTS 4.0 will be easier to live with as far as interior options / ground clearance, but the powertrain/gearing is exactly the same. I imagine there's going to be a strong initial demand for the GTS 4.0 given that it's a "cheaper GT4". So you're looking at a couple options: GT4 now off a dealer lot (look outside of your local area), or get in line for a GTS 4.0/GT4 allocation where you probably wont see the car until fall/early winter.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:18 AM
DMDSpag
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
Couple things:
1. Either this is a practiced way of typing, or it's the most grammatically correct "accent" represented in text I've ever seen.... No disrespect here just - I don't know what to say
2. There's GT4s for sale on dealer lots right now, just check AutoTrader. The GTS 4.0 will be easier to live with as far as interior options / ground clearance, but the powertrain/gearing is exactly the same. I imagine there's going to be a strong initial demand for the GTS 4.0 given that it's a "cheaper GT4". So you're looking at a couple options: GT4 now off a dealer lot (look outside of your local area), or get in line for a GTS 4.0/GT4 allocation where you probably wont see the car until fall/early winter.
I precciate' the good natured' bread crumbs yer layin' out ! Good info, I'll keep it in mind when considerin' my options, thankee kindly.
As far as the accent, it comes out from time to time and I guess the gift-o-gab was somethin' I acquired livin' down in the mud country.

My timeline is a good 6 months out anyway, I can keep on savin' my pennies and see where the cards lie. Both these cars really appeal to me.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:00 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 596 Likes on 335 Posts

"All the power comes earlier, and before you know it you are going too fast to even have fun on the way there."

Say what?

"Too fast" to have fun....hmmm...different strokes, all right.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:30 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJB
"All the power comes earlier, and before you know it you are going too fast to even have fun on the way there."

Say what?

This is the crux of the argument about the ‘wrong’ gearing for the 4.0s; you can’t wind it out to redline in first and second gear without facing jail time. Applied to the 3.0 turbo motor: there’s no ‘fun’ to be had in the upper rpms ‘cause all the Turbo torque down low.

As much as the overuse of apostrophes might feel like sandpaper on the perineum, I agree that it’s an oft-used argument.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:44 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Applied to the 3.0 turbo motor: there’s no ‘fun’ to be had in the upper rpms ‘cause all the Turbo torque down low.
Also, at least on my 991.2 C2, even without a muffler, just tubing straight from the cats (Speedtech exhaust), the exhaust of the 3.0 turbo motor becomes very quiet above about 3,000 rpm.

God bless,
TT
Old 06-05-2020, 02:27 PM
DMDSpag
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MotoJB

Say what?

Not tryin' to talk sideways on ya, but I like to ring er' neck ! Give er' the ol' wood shampoo if ya know what I mean! Livin' life full speed. Half the fun is windin' out that motor. 992 is slicker than owl **** and faster than a hot knife through butter, But givin' er the once over, I found myself goin' warp speed before 5k rpms in each gear. All the meat n potatos live under 4500 revs is what I'm sayin'. I'm partial to high revin', hard rockin', no hesitation, no surrender'.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:47 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 235 Posts

Not tryin' to talk sideways on ya, but I like to ring er' neck ! Give er' the ol' wood shampoo if ya know what I mean! Livin' life full speed. Half the fun is windin' out that motor. 992 is slicker than owl **** and faster than a hot knife through butter, But givin' er the once over, I found myself goin' warp speed before 5k rpms in each gear. All the meat n potatos live under 4500 revs is what I'm sayin'. I'm partial to high revin', hard rockin', no hesitation, no surrender'.
I just... I can't even....
I actually had to check your previous posts to see if this is normal... it's not. But, I really don't care lol
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (01-01-2021)
Old 06-05-2020, 02:58 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

You need a 991.2 GT3!

God bless,
TT
Old 06-06-2020, 08:30 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 311 Posts

What happened to close ratio transmissions? Why is Porsche putting such wide ratio transmissions in their sports cars? Are they just trying to please the Greenie ****'s? 👀
Old 06-09-2020, 10:50 AM
gator2015GTS
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

One of the dealers called me and told me he has an allocation for October. We can start to build it when the configurator comes online, which he expected to be soon. He stated at that time, they would expect a 10% deposit. Is that what you have experienced in the past? I have never built a Porsche. Secondly, assuming a dealer margin of 9.68%, what would you suggest I go in at, 5% off MSRP. Back when I got my name on a list last year, both of the dealers told me they never sell above MSRP, so I put a refundable deposit down with each to get on the allocation list. Thanks for any advice you have.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:34 AM
Manoverpdk
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 75 Posts
Wink

I precciate' the good natured' bread crumbs yer layin' out ! Good info, I'll keep it in mind when considerin' my options, thankee kindly.
As far as the accent, it comes out from time to time and I guess the gift-o-gab was somethin' I acquired livin' down in the mud country.

My timeline is a good 6 months out anyway, I can keep on savin' my pennies and see where the cards lie. Both these cars really appeal to me.
Wow! I can almost hear you speak.

Quick Reply: 718 GTS 4.0