Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 12:27 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Curious how you know about a car which hasn't been announced, how it's going to be?
Look at the screen shot above showing the Spyder RS variant.

From Spyder, it seems it will be a convertible.

From RS, it seems it will have the RS treatment the GT4 RS will receive.

?? You think it may mean something different?
Old 09-22-2021, 12:29 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adrift
By this rationale, no one would want / need a gt3 for the street, either. What current supercar’s performance is remotely accessible on the street? Yet they sell.
I'm not saying it won't sell. I'm asking what the draw is for such a set up - as I don't get it myself.

For the GT4, I understand much of the draw for the RS treatment is for track use.

For the Spyder version, is there a big desire for a lighter version with 60 more hp and a stiffer suspension?

Old 09-22-2021, 12:37 PM
993RR
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
I'm not saying it won't sell. I'm asking what the draw is for such a set up - as I don't get it myself.

For the GT4, I understand much of the draw for the RS treatment is for track use.

For the Spyder version, is there a big desire for a lighter version with 60 more hp and a stiffer suspension?

Speedster with a GT3 510ps engine, does it makes sense? Or is the 718 Boxster Spyder all you really want/need in a roofless car.
Old 09-22-2021, 12:54 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Why do people buy cars with performance aspects not easily or legally accessible on the street? That is a blue sky question, with as many answers as there are purchasers / lusters.
- Prestige
- Looks / appearance
- That little bit extra fun factor (dangerously or illegally accessed)
- Dual - purpose : occasional track use
- Collectible / potential for monetary gain (I am not ENDORSING this, but it is a thing, obviously)

Seems like the biggest, obvious ones. Why would *I* want it (assuming I could get one and afford it...)? For a little bit of all the above reasons (except collectability, of course! cough cough) TBH, I will definitely assess based on what RS means, in this case. I may very possibly decide it isn't street friendly enough for me. (If we are in the La La land where I have an actual chance to buy one lol) Removing availability and price from the list of considerations, ride height, suspension stiffness, and any features which are totally impractical on the street would remove it for contention for me.

Last edited by Adrift; 09-22-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:02 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Well most of them are going to spend most of their lives holding down the floor in some rich guy's garage, so I don't think how the car actually drives is really going to matter than much to the likely buyer pool.
The following users liked this post:
9872SpeedYellowCS (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 01:49 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,647 Likes on 2,708 Posts

Spyder vs. Spyder RS -

Just curious, for those considering a Spyder RS vs. a 718 Spyder, what is the draw?

Seems like the RS version is really set up for the track, and I wouldn't consider tracking a convertible with this HP/performance. Plus the Spyder RS wouldn't have the wing.

For street driving, the increased HP/suspension of a Spyder RS doesn't seem as a much needed improvement over the current 718 Spyder.

Again, just curious.
@raymort I am not sure what Porsche you have but from the look of the photo in the Avatar not a mid-engine convertible... so perhaps that is part of the understanding or in this case not-understanding the journey to the possibility of a Spyder RS.

Tracking it has nothing to do with it IMHO, I get there a few times a year to practice and test my skills and the capabilities of the car, but I certainly didn't buy it for that, so I see no reason to use the track capabilities as a metric for purchase.

As you know the Boxster has been advancing in power and capabilities since it was introduced, as each improvement came there was always someone who said "why do they need more, it is fine the way it is", heck the 911 is no different yet the improvements continue!

I have had owned each generation of these cars, 986, 987, 981 and now the 982 and enjoyed each step up in power and handling, does that mean the older versions are not worthy of ownership, no, quite the opposite, each has their relative merits but there is no reason not to enjoy the latest version as well, Porsche pushes the performance up little more each time. I agree the the current Spyder 'needs' no improvements to be a great car, in fact I also agree that it is more than most of us can really use, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be more.

I look at the RS as Porsche taking this car to the next level of performance and showing us what it can achieve, that they are willing to do this is so cool and worthy of serious consideration.

The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
Booth9999 (09-25-2021), very green R (09-25-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 02:15 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993RR
Speedster with a GT3 510ps engine, does it makes sense? Or is the 718 Boxster Spyder all you really want/need in a roofless car.
Right, the Speedster is the GT3 convertible as the Spyder is the GT4 convertible.

The Speedster is NOT a GT3 RS convertible. Hence, my curiosity about the want of a Spyder RS.

I get that some may want a collectible and I get that PAG will sell everyone they make.

I also get that some may want more power - but an RS treatment is more than simply more power.

I am just genuinely interested to know what aspects of the RS improvement are people wanting for the Spyder.
Old 09-22-2021, 02:17 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
@raymort I am not sure what Porsche you have but from the look of the photo in the Avatar not a mid-engine convertible... so perhaps that is part of the understanding or in this case not-understanding the journey to the possibility of a Spyder RS.

Tracking it has nothing to do with it IMHO, I get there a few times a year to practice and test my skills and the capabilities of the car, but I certainly didn't buy it for that, so I see no reason to use the track capabilities as a metric for purchase.

As you know the Boxster has been advancing in power and capabilities since it was introduced, as each improvement came there was always someone who said "why do they need more, it is fine the way it is", heck the 911 is no different yet the improvements continue!

I have had owned each generation of these cars, 986, 987, 981 and now the 982 and enjoyed each step up in power and handling, does that mean the older versions are not worthy of ownership, no, quite the opposite, each has their relative merits but there is no reason not to enjoy the latest version as well, Porsche pushes the performance up little more each time. I agree the the current Spyder 'needs' no improvements to be a great car, in fact I also agree that it is more than most of us can really use, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be more.

I look at the RS as Porsche taking this car to the next level of performance and showing us what it can achieve, that they are willing to do this is so cool and worthy of serious consideration.
It's a GT3.

Yep - my question is rooted in not understanding what aspects of the RS package are people wanting for a convertible. From my perspective, I can understand more power - but for a convertible, I don't think I would enjoy rock hard suspension and aero treatments much.

Again, I'm just curious to understand more. I am definitely not judging here.
Old 09-22-2021, 02:32 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,647 Likes on 2,708 Posts

It's a GT3.

Yep - my question is rooted in not understanding what aspects of the RS package are people wanting for a convertible. From my perspective, I can understand more power - but for a convertible, I don't think I would enjoy rock hard suspension and aero treatments much.

Again, I'm just curious to understand more. I am definitely not judging here.
All cool here, I think that as a Spyder owner I am thinking more would be nice, I don't find the current suspension overly stiff and feel that refinements in suspension (wouldn't a magnetic damped shock system be interesting), and increased HP and redline could elevate the platform. I doubt we would see a track-like RS version of the Spyder, as you say certain aero is just not appropriate on a convertible (like a big rear wing), but other treatments can be of benefit in what may well be the the last offering of it's kind.

Perhaps the sticking point for some is the 'RS' moniker, normally reserved for serious track focused versions of a model, but Porsche has used it before and maybe now it is simply to differentiate the 'new' top model in the 982 cabriolet range?
Old 09-22-2021, 04:49 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Interesting - car and driver is claiming Porsche will go all electric with a revised 718 platform after 2025 and keep the 911 ICE. If so, a lot of collectors would be interested in these and they’d be harder to get.

I think at the latest we’ll know when we see the platform. If it’s all new and fully BEV optimized, that’s the answer. If the design also suits ICEs, there’s no reason Porsche couldn’t put special gas motors in the next gen cars alongside EVs.

https:/www.caranddriver.com/news/a37692178/2025-porsche-718-electric-future-details/
Old 09-25-2021, 09:24 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 245 Posts

I was told yesterday that dealers are being offered 100K by customers and people calling in. So that sounds like the starting point.

Originally Posted by CAlexio
There will not be any loose allocations. Maybe resold ones but VIP's are selecting and top customers after that already know about it.

Think 911R.. then add a few.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:31 AM
Cavitee
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

$100,000 for what? Deposits to get an allocation?
Old 09-25-2021, 09:32 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
I was told yesterday that dealers are being offered 100K by customers and people calling in. So that sounds like the starting point.
What does that mean? MSRP will be over $100k.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:36 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 245 Posts

That is the ADM so far. nothing has transacted but I think that is what they are thinking of starting at based on the calls they are getting.

This probably shouldn't be an ADM thread..someone will start one soon enough.

Originally Posted by worf928
What does that mean? MSRP will be over $100k.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:58 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

That is the ADM so far. nothing has transacted but I think that is what they are thinking of starting at based on the calls they are getting.

This probably shouldn't be an ADM thread..someone will start one soon enough.
When is a SA like a politician? When they open their mouth to talk about $$$$.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS