Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dealer Allocation Tracker

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 07:47 PM
side
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update from my side.

Put a 3k deposit down in May of last year, so pretty much exactly one full year ago, and got a phone call from the dealership today!

...where they told me they would be refunding my deposit. However, he did mention 2023 cars will exist, so here is some wishful thinking...
Old 05-12-2022, 07:53 PM
Toon902
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by side
Update from my side.

Put a 3k deposit down in May of last year, so pretty much exactly one full year ago, and got a phone call from the dealership today!

...where they told me they would be refunding my deposit. However, he did mention 2023 cars will exist, so here is some wishful thinking...
This totally sucks. Sorry to hear that!

Some more details would be great… Where is the dealer? Was there a reason given (eg 20th on the list, no more allocations, etc.) What model were you ordering?

My sympathy as I would hate to get that same call but might yet given circumstances!

Old 05-12-2022, 08:08 PM
Prime
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 97 Posts

Update from my side.

wow, that is, in my view totally unacceptable.

I personally wouldn’t just roll over but go in there and demand to speak to the dealer principal, and want a very thorough explanation and justification.

Old 05-12-2022, 08:10 PM
side
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Toon902
This totally sucks. Sorry to hear that!

Some more details would be great… Where is the dealer? Was there a reason given (eg 20th on the list, no more allocations, etc.) What model were you ordering?

My sympathy as I would hate to get that same call but might yet given circumstances!
Dealership is in the Chicagoland area. Demand order for a GT4. When I put the deposit down the sales person told me I was #1 on the list.

I was definitely excited when I heard the voicemail, but not as excited once we actually spoke :/
The following users liked this post:
Toon902 (05-12-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 08:33 PM
Flat6Enthusiast
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Question for my fellow Rennlisters. I'm on the wait list for a Spyder and was recently 'offered the chance' to buy a Spyder that another customer declined to take delivery for. The car isn't in the spec I want but it's pretty darn close.

Exciting I thought- until the dealer wanted a totally exorbitant ADM. Allegedly because 'there are buyers calling from all over the US asking for the car but because I'm local they wanted to offer it to me first.' Keep in mind the total cost would be enough to comfortably buy a 991.1 GT3. Of course I told the dealer what my limit was, which was about 50% less than what they wanted. Then they did the hard sell, trying to push me into a number by talking about this being 'the last of it's kind' etc. So I told him good luck trying to sell it because I don't think the market supports the price you're asking.

As I predicted- the car has been sitting for weeks. I'm thinking about going back with my original offer to see if they'll bite.

I will still keep my name on the wait list for my original Spyder just in case it actually does end up getting built- but in the meantime it'd be nice to have one now that I could enjoy.

Question is- what price does the Spyder market currently support? I see a lot of 2020s and 2021s with high prices that sit for months unsold.

Should I even bother talking to this dealer again given they BS so much in the first place?

note- I'm on the wait list with one dealer I've had wonderful experience with. the Spyder I've been offered is at another dealer that's much smaller and serves a less affluent area.

Last edited by Flat6Enthusiast; 05-12-2022 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:49 PM
LISsailor
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6Enthusiast
Question is- what price does the Spyder market currently support? I see a lot of 2020s and 2021s with high prices that sit for months unsold.
Given that 2020-2021 cars with under 5k miles are selling for $10-$15k over MSRP, I would imagine a brand new spec with a few months wait would be worth $20-25k over. For comparison, the 981 spyder easily sells for MSRP and it’s several years old at this point and much inferior to the 718. But I really don’t know, some people are paying MSRP but have been waiting literally for years.

Last edited by LISsailor; 05-12-2022 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:50 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6Enthusiast
Question for my fellow Rennlisters. I'm on the wait list for a Spyder and was recently 'offered the chance' to buy a Spyder that another customer declined to take delivery for. The car isn't in the spec I want but it's pretty darn close.

Exciting I thought- until the dealer wanted a totally exorbitant ADM. Allegedly because 'there are buyers calling from all over the US asking for the car but because I'm local they wanted to offer it to me first.' Keep in mind the total cost would be enough to comfortably buy a 991.1 GT3. Of course I told the dealer what my limit was, which was about 50% less than what they wanted. Then they did the hard sell, trying to push me into a number by talking about this being 'the last of it's kind' etc. So I told him good luck trying to sell it because I don't think the market supports the price you're asking.

As I predicted- the car has been sitting for weeks. I'm thinking about going back with my original offer to see if they'll bite.

I will still keep my name on the wait list for my original Spyder just in case it actually does end up getting built- but in the meantime it'd be nice to have one now that I could enjoy.

Should I even bother talking to this dealer again given they BS so much in the first place?

note- I'm on the wait list with one dealer I've had wonderful experience with. the Spyder I've been offered is at another dealer that's much smaller and serves a less affluent area.
I guess it depends on how you feel about going back to try and if they accept your offer, giving them your business?

The upside if is goes well you will have a new Spyder 'almost' like you would have ordered it and actually have the car, the downside (for some) would be if you then got an allocation through the other dealer and had to trade/sell deal with the swap between cars...

You know the old saying, "A bird in the hand..."
Flat6Enthusiast (05-13-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 08:52 PM
Flat6Enthusiast
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LISsailor
Given that 2020-2021 cars with under 5k miles are selling for $10-$15k over MSRP, I would imagine a brand new spec with a few months wait would be worth $20-25k over. For comparison, the 981 spyder easily sells for MSRP and it’s several years old at this point and much inferior to the 718. But I really don’t know, some people are paying MSRP but have been waiting literally for years.

ok thanks. My thoughts exactly. I was offering something in this neighborhood and they wanted 70k over asking.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:52 PM
Rasputin.
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 252 Posts

Dealership is in the Chicagoland area. Demand order for a GT4. When I put the deposit down the sales person told me I was #1 on the list.

I was definitely excited when I heard the voicemail, but not as excited once we actually spoke :/
Very curious to hear which dealership this is. Please PM me if you are not comfortable sharing it on the forums. I’m on the list for a few of them and don’t want to be wasting my time. Thank you.

PS: very sorry that happened to you
Old 05-12-2022, 08:53 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by LISsailor
I leave room for the probability that some of the people who are saying they are paying MSRP are either not telling the truth or have other numbers at play that make the statement a bit inaccurate or misleading.
*991* (05-15-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 08:53 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,866 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Update from my side.

Well that sucks, but it seems like a reputable response when you know the list is longer than can be supported.

Alternatively, the dealer could have called with “great news” and a $50K ADM.

Call around, there are still a handful of allocations, expect to pay ADM.

Line will stay open for awhile, still have to produce those lost at sea and probably couple more.

OBTW, everyone hears they’re #1 from SAs…do you really think they haven’t gotten an allocation in the past year?
*991* (05-15-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 09:40 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,044 Likes on 559 Posts

Update from my side.

I don’t know your dealer, but no allocation since May 2021 sounds a bit suspicious to me.

They could be telling you the truth, or blowing smoke up your you know what.

What are they trying to tell you?

You are #1, there is 2023MY, but it is not yours?

There is MY 2023 but their dealer is not getting allocation, hence they refund you?

I won’t be surprised if you have been passed over by someone willing to pay ADM, or have a trade that they want.
Old 05-12-2022, 09:43 PM
aerohead80
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Update from my side.

Did you ask why they are refunding you if there are 2023 cars and you were #1 on their list? I'd certainly be at least asking that question and if you find out more it would be great to hear on this thread, as it might give more insight to others. Sucks man and hope you get some resolution on a pretty raw deal.
CatVaux (05-12-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 09:48 PM
aerohead80
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
OBTW, everyone hears they’re #1 from SAs…do you really think they haven’t gotten an allocation in the past year?
Is this other people's experience as well? I mean isn't there a way to find that out somehow with numbers that are released or other public records? I would hope a reputable dealer that expected locals to do any future business with them wouldn't be pulling that kind of unethical practice.
CatVaux (05-12-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 10:06 PM
side
8th Gear

Originally Posted by aerohead80
Did you ask why they are refunding you if there are 2023 cars and you were #1 on their list? I'd certainly be at least asking that question and if you find out more it would be great to hear on this thread, as it might give more insight to others. Sucks man and hope you get some resolution on a pretty raw deal.
I was told the refund was due to new dealership policy where they won't hold deposits unless the dealership has a physical allocation for the vehicle, which I think is reasonable. Not what I want to hear a year later, but reasonable.

And no, I don't think they haven't had any allocations in the last year, but am pretty bummed they never even bothered contacting me about any cars coming through.

Regarding being #1 on the list—I actually do believe I was probably at the top last May, but have no doubt they skipped me. How many times? I'll never know.

As far as the 2023 bit—I was prodding to see if this meant I'd never get a slot, and he suggested there would be a 2023 MY, so not completely giving up hope yet.

Quick Reply: Dealer Allocation Tracker