Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dealer Allocation Tracker

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 02:01 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Originally Posted by G.Irish
That seems like a terrible deal. Even just here Spyder allocations have been popping up for less than $25k over. I just turned one down in NC for $15k a few months ago. A friend of mine just got a Spyder allocation at MSRP in DC Metro area. To pay $25k over for a GTS 4.0 and be required to trade it in so he can lose some money on the trade just to get the Spyder at MSRP doesn't make sense. Even if they give him $5k less than he paid for the GTS4.0, that results in a net $30k ADM on the Spyder. He'd be better off calling around and offering $25k over for a straight Spyder allocation.

If that is what a favor looks like from that dealership, I'd hate to see what a customer with no history gets offered.
I know you’re just spit-balling here, but the dealer buy back will be at MSRP or less.

Easy to see why the dealer loves these type of deals. Gets $25K ADM on GTS, then buys back below market and sells again. So after making $35-40K above MSRP on the GTS let’s the client have the Spyder at MSRP…
Old 01-28-2022, 02:06 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 305 Posts

In this specific day and age - that GTS deal doesn't sound AWFUL.... but I'd probably want something in writing that details conditions for how much they will buy the car back for. At some point this market is going to drop out and he doesn't want to be left holding the bag.
The following users liked this post:
flynlo (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 02:08 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
I know you’re just spit-balling here, but the dealer buy back will be at MSRP or less.

Easy to see why the dealer loves these type of deals. Gets $25K ADM on GTS, then buys back below market and sells again. So after making $35-40K above MSRP on the GTS let’s the client have the Spyder at MSRP…
If that's the case (they buy the GTS back at MSRP or less) then it's not that great of a deal. Especially after you factor in, what, $10k+ in sales tax you'd be losing....

My expectation would be that he pays 25 over, they buy it back for, say, 20 over - then that's a net ADM of 5 (or ~15ish once you factor in sales tax loss) on the Spyder.... which doesn't seem out of line with what others here are saying they've paid.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:03 PM
G.Irish
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy

Originally Posted by daaa nope
In this specific day and age - that GTS deal doesn't sound AWFUL.... but I'd probably want something in writing that details conditions for how much they will buy the car back for. At some point this market is going to drop out and he doesn't want to be left holding the bag.
My bad napkin math nothwithstanding, I think the game here is that the dealer gets to offload the risk of the market correcting to the buyer. If by the time the Spyder arrives, GTS4.0's are going for MSRP or lower, they can just offer MSRP - 20k. If the buyer balks, no skin off their backs. If markups are the same, they can offer a trade in price that would still make them money. And if MSRP on the Spyder is conditional on the trade, they have a lot of leverage.

I'm not as familiar with GTS4.0 prices but what I've seen of Spyder and GT4 prices is that ADM's are around $15k-25k right now. Seems like it would be easier for the dealer to just sell the GTS 4.0 at a smaller markup, then sell the Spyder allocation at the prevailing markup.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:08 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 117 Posts

My bad napkin math nothwithstanding, I think the game here is that the dealer gets to offload the risk of the market correcting to the buyer. If by the time the Spyder arrives, GTS4.0's are going for MSRP or lower, they can just offer MSRP - 20k. If the buyer balks, no skin off their backs. If markups are the same, they can offer a trade in price that would still make them money. And if MSRP on the Spyder is conditional on the trade, they have a lot of leverage.

I'm not as familiar with GTS4.0 prices but what I've seen of Spyder and GT4 prices is that ADM's are around $15k-25k right now. Seems like it would be easier for the dealer to just sell the GTS 4.0 at a smaller markup, then sell the Spyder allocation at the prevailing markup.
Clever approach. I got a pretty good sense on the GT4/Sypder admin fees as well but so much with the GTS, some folk seem reluctant to share such details.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:34 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Yeah that's why I'd want it more or less in writing, with obvious carve-outs detailing the required condition the vehicle be in before the dealer would buy it back.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:56 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by daaa nope
If that's the case (they buy the GTS back at MSRP or less) then it's not that great of a deal. Especially after you factor in, what, $10k+ in sales tax you'd be losing....
In Texas, you only pay sales tax on the difference. So if he bought the GTS at $130k he would pay sales tax on that. Let's say he built a Spyder at $125k and they gave him $120k on the trade in GTS, he would only pay sales tax on that $5k difference.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:20 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by flynlo
In Texas, you only pay sales tax on the difference. So if he bought the GTS at $130k he would pay sales tax on that. Let's say he built a Spyder at $125k and they gave him $120k on the trade in GTS, he would only pay sales tax on that $5k difference.
My life would be so much better if California offered that benefit. Here it's full sales tax on every purchase. Uggghhh.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:57 PM
moveswiftly
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by F1-DNA
I think this is a good example of the market to come. Give it a few months and these "used" GT4's are going to start going for MSRP.
FYI this car was "stolen" and the dealership had to replace both bumpers and a control arm. Had a friend go and checkout the car and that is what he was told...

Last edited by moveswiftly; 01-29-2022 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:01 PM
F1-DNA
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by moveswiftly;[url=tel:17939060
17939060[/url]]FYI this car was "stolen" and the dealership had to replace both front bumpers and a control arm. Had a friend go and checkout the car and that is what he was told...
Ah interesting. Still wondering what the going rate is for a used GT4. $130k?
Old 01-31-2022, 08:36 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

I've been offered a Boxster GTS 25 Years allocation....March production. It's at MSRP. I'm tempted to take it for myself, but I have a Touring on order Dealer is on the east coast, so it'd be great to go to someone local-ish there...but I guess it could be shipped anywhere or have PEC ATL added. PM me if you'd like the allocation. There's nothing in it for me besides connecting you with a great SA.
Old 01-31-2022, 10:15 PM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by F1-DNA
Ah interesting. Still wondering what the going rate is for a used GT4. $130k?
I work as an independent broker/consultant helping my clients buy and sell cars. (About 85% P-cars). A client of mine pointed me at this thread.

Can confirm the car at the BMW store was a theft recovery that had substantial damage sustained. (Though it had not yet shown up on the carfax). The dealer wholesaled the car rather than try to retail it with that known history.

Used 2020 GT4’s are transacting at about MSRP +$15k. 2021 would be a little higher. CPO from Porsche dealership adds about $4k. Obviously, this is a generalization. A Miami Blue car went on BAT recently for less. (About $12k over). GOOD modifications (substantial PPF/nice exhaust system, etc, add about 40-50% of that original cost)

The following 3 users liked this post by JR944:
0-Day (01-31-2022), mp2day (01-31-2022), Zhao (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 10:33 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 751 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by ssiminou
I've been offered a Boxster GTS 25 Years allocation....March production. It's at MSRP. I'm tempted to take it for myself, but I have a Touring on order Dealer is on the east coast, so it'd be great to go to someone local-ish there...but I guess it could be shipped anywhere or have PEC ATL added. PM me if you'd like the allocation. There's nothing in it for me besides connecting you with a great SA.
Incredible. $10k+ markups on regular GTSs, GT4s and Spyders, yet the one truly limited production, NUMBERED version is available at MSRP.

I hope someone here can get this!
The following users liked this post:
ssiminou (02-01-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 11:54 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,804 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by 0-Day
Incredible. $10k+ markups on regular GTSs, GT4s and Spyders, yet the one truly limited production, NUMBERED version is available at MSRP.

I hope someone here can get this!
Well, they're a very specific option package with very limited choices of options above what they come with. I can totally see them not commanding a huge demand. Gold body colored bits are also love it or hate it (I don't like the gold vents or front spoiler but I do love the rims they come with).

Anniversary edition badging also is often worthless from most manufacturers so it's really up in the air if that adds any value whatsoever down the road.
Old 01-31-2022, 11:58 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
Well, they're a very specific option package with very limited choices of options above what they come with. I can totally see them not commanding a huge demand. Gold body colored bits are also love it or hate it (I don't like the gold vents or front spoiler but I do love the rims they come with).

Anniversary edition badging also is often worthless from most manufacturers so it's really up in the air if that adds any value whatsoever down the road.
987 Spyder RS 60s have done quite well. In fact I can’t think of any Porsche numbered cars that don’t do better than their non-numbered counterparts.

Quick Reply: Dealer Allocation Tracker