Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dealer Allocation Tracker

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 04:46 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 751 Likes on 354 Posts

Was up at Bridgewater BMW (NJ) this weekend checking out a different vehicle with a friend, and they have a nicely specced Chalk 2020 GT4 asking +$10k over original MSRP. More of a "Touring" spec. Used, non-CPO car, BUT only 606 miles on it. Looked flawless, smelled new..

https://www.bmwofbridgewater.com/use...04814eb648.htm

Old 01-24-2022, 04:50 PM
G.Irish
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

Yeah that car has been sitting there for six months at about $13k over MSRP. Not sure why no one has bought it, but cars like that kinda show that people aren't falling all over themselves to pay a markup for a used GT4. They just dropped the price by $3k a few days ago, so maybe it'll be moving soon though.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:07 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I agree with Chris here. It is really a long term strategy when you want them to consider you for their more exclusive cars. As he says, a history of both buying cars from them and then having them service them goes a long way. I've bought two 911s from this dealer and had them service all four of my 911s (except for some simpler services I do myself).

It helps to make yourself known as a fan and if you can, a conduit to more buyers for them. Attend some of their special events. I just signed up for their dealer-hosted track event at COTA; a little pricey at $2k but includes an hour of on-track instructor time in my own car and several bells and whistles.

Bring in friends for an introduction and a look at the cars - especially ones who could buy - whether they are buying right then or not. I know I've helped steer at least two people into Porsche. I have known the two most senior sales reps for more than a dozen years. Every few months at least I drop in and look at the newest cars and just chat for a few. And they know I'm not just playing them - I really enjoy our visits. (My wife was alarmed when the new $60M dealership was built just a 7 minute drive away). And there was never a question of my GT4 not being MSRP.
Originally Posted by Zhao
I think it depends a lot on the dealer and market. I think buying 5 cars in 5 years in some regions won't earn you an ounce of credit at the dealer (which people have confirmed on here as the dealer saying ya, we have a guy who buys 9 cars a year), but I know someone with a good enough relationship that he gets an allocation for anything he wants.

I think if you want to play the dealership relation game it gets very expensive unless you jump right into spamming GT car purchases where you lose minimal on trading in each one. Traditionally you take a bath on buying new non-Gt P cars and trading them in quickly. Initial depreciation on a normal 911/boxster/cayenne/panamera/etc is not something that would be a good financial move just to earn clout with the dealer unless your ultimate goal is buying cars normal people don't get allocations on. Cheaper to just pay high ADM on a specific car you want IMO.
^^ both of these.

IMO buying several cars + regular service at that dealer helps. Referrals also help. Also, don't forget the actual "relationship" piece.

My Spyder is my 8th Porsche, 5th purchase from the same local dealer and 6th Porsche to have been regularly serviced by them (I bought one Cayenne from a different dealer because it was a unicorn spec...). I've explicitly referred probably 20 different people to them (as in, "Ok go in, see this guy, tell him I sent you"), resulting in a dozen purchases from those referrals over the last 5-6 years. And the Spyder was my first-ever NEW Porsche too - everything else I've purchased has been CPO. So it's not like I had to buy a pile of brand-new cars. In fact I even let them know it was my first NEW Porsche, so it was more special to me - maybe it's dumb but I think on a human level, they also enjoyed being able to make it special for me.

And I've also actually become legit friends with a few of the guys who work there over the years. I often go in there just to shoot the sh*t and hang out, talk cars, sniff around at anything cool/interesting/unusual they took in, etc.

All of this contributed to me landing a Spyder allocation and landing it for MSRP.

So I certainly understand the frustration from folks who really want one of these cars, but have never owned a Porsche before and think it sucks that they can't get one simply because it's their first Porsche. But when there's only so many to go around, dealers can afford to be a little picky. And just as your opinions of "my dollar is as green as the next guy's" (and you're right) - there is also a similar but opposite sentiment from the guys who have been loyal customers, bought a lot of cars, and come in asking their dealer, "Hey I've been a loyal customer - can you hook me up? I really want one of these."

And I can understand them wanting the car to go to a customer they know will appreciate it and will foster future purchases. It's not just Porsche. Walk into a Rolex dealer as a first-time Rolex buyer and ask to buy a Daytona. They'll likely do something similar - steer you towards a Sub, or maybe even into a Tudor first.

Originally Posted by G.Irish
Yeah that car has been sitting there for six months at about $13k over MSRP. Not sure why no one has bought it, but cars like that kinda show that people aren't falling all over themselves to pay a markup for a used GT4. They just dropped the price by $3k a few days ago, so maybe it'll be moving soon though.
It also likely has the "stain" of being a Porsche at a BMW dealership. Good chance a lot of potential buyers fear there's something wrong with it if it was traded in with only 600 miles on it, the dealer selling it can't reassure the buyer that everything is OK ("what do you know, you're just a BMW dealer!") etc.

Last edited by daaa nope; 01-24-2022 at 05:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jimdillard (02-12-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 05:26 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Nice quality trade in? Sure as long as it’s well below book…it’s all the same as ADM.
It's all negotiable I guess. If it means getting a GT4RS allocation, taking their offer on your trade in might be worth it.....
AlexCeres (01-28-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 07:20 PM
adsingl
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Default What do you think about your C8; diffs, highs and lows ?

Curious how you find the Corvette compared to your Porsches.

ADS
Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Sold that 981 Spyder one month too soon and left $8K-10K on the table. But I sold it in one day to a dealer in Florida who wired the money sight unseen so there's that. I do have a 2021 C8 convertible that I bought extremely right that will offset the Spyder pounding I'm about to sign up for.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:17 PM
Clementine33
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by adsingl
Curious how you find the Corvette compared to your Porsches.

ADS
I have a '21 CGTS and a '21 C8 HTC. Of course, the Porsche is elegant, balanced-even poised, and with my Soul OAP's, an aural thrill to drive. The Cayman is refined. Its personalized plate is a play on my last names: B.EUDY (beauty).
The Corvette is flashy, raw, powerful, incredibly fast, open-air (all the time,) and corners amazingly well in spite of its heavier weight. Its exhaust is much too tame in spite of it having the sports performance exhaust included in the Z51 package; I plan to correct that with a Borla Atak exhaust soon. I tell people the C8 is a redneck Lamborghini. Its license plate is self-explanatory: B.EESTE.
My husband typically drives the Porsche, and I drive the C8 when we go out on our thrill drives in the mountains since I prefer top-down driving. But we do switch cars often.

In short, each car is an amazing machine & incredibly fun to drive. I really can't say which is better; they're just slightly different.
The following 5 users liked this post by Clementine33:
adsingl (01-26-2022), ngamountains (01-25-2022), Paulywanacracker (01-25-2022), Soul Performance (01-26-2022), TripleL (01-27-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 06:28 PM
Clementine33
Instructor

Here's a terrible pic of the plates. Sorry for the sun reflection.

The following 2 users liked this post by Clementine33:
flynlo (01-27-2022), Soul Performance (01-26-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 07:47 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by Clementine33
Here's a terrible pic of the plates. Sorry for the sun reflection.

A Disney fan perhaps?

Nice comparison picture, amazing how big the C8 looks as compared to the Cayman in the side by side.
LnC993 (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 08:45 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,022 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Nice looking CGTS, is that British Racing Green or Brewster Green?
Old 01-25-2022, 08:50 PM
F1-DNA
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 0-Day
Was up at Bridgewater BMW (NJ) this weekend checking out a different vehicle with a friend, and they have a nicely specced Chalk 2020 GT4 asking +$10k over original MSRP. More of a "Touring" spec. Used, non-CPO car, BUT only 606 miles on it. Looked flawless, smelled new..

https://www.bmwofbridgewater.com/use...04814eb648.htm
I think this is a good example of the market to come. Give it a few months and these "used" GT4's are going to start going for MSRP.
SmallCapTrader (01-26-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 08:58 PM
Paulywanacracker
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it accurate to say that Porsche did not release any, or very few, allocations of the GT-4 over the past three months, until February's new allocation openings begins? What were the reasons? Insufficient of parts, engine problems, or more?

Can someone redirect me to what is the latest info. I have been out of the loop for some time....Thank You
Old 01-26-2022, 12:02 AM
Clementine33
Instructor

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Nice looking CGTS, is that British Racing Green or Brewster Green?
Neither. I did not know about PTS when I ordered my CGTS in dolomite silver. Got tired of DS, so I got it wrapped. It cost almost as much as PTS, though, by the time I wrapped it, got full PPF, and ceramic.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:40 AM
nobbyv
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulywanacracker
Is it accurate to say that Porsche did not release any, or very few, allocations of the GT-4 over the past three months, until February's new allocation openings begins? What were the reasons? Insufficient of parts, engine problems, or more?
Not really. There were a decent number released in early November. Since then, there's been a slow trickle. Not sure anyone can say with authority why that is. Based on my build currently scheduled to take almost ten weeks for production, part shortages are certainly a possibility.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:11 AM
FazedChicken
Banned

Received 159 Likes on 120 Posts

Any info regarding a possible 2023 model year? I haven't seen much. I'm hoping to get my allocation in the next month or 2 when the next batch goes out.

Last edited by FazedChicken; 01-26-2022 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:53 AM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Clementine33
Neither. I did not know about PTS when I ordered my CGTS in dolomite silver. Got tired of DS, so I got it wrapped. It cost almost as much as PTS, though, by the time I wrapped it, got full PPF, and ceramic.
Heh yeah - my experience has been that a quality wrap job is NOT a cheap alternative to just having the car painted!

Quick Reply: Dealer Allocation Tracker