Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dealer Allocation Tracker

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 12:16 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
The program is currently not available but they do for Z06 and ZR1 (previous gen since there is no current gen ZR1 model yet.) Per this website, there is no date of when it will be available again but it is possible.

https://www.corvettemuseum.org/visit.../engine-build/

This is a better youtube video. https://youtu.be/JB3dlu6RRY4

Here's a youtube video as well. https://youtu.be/bopUgjsIQXI
I remember that, what a cool option for somebody who is really into the inner workings of their car... like me!

Thanks for providing the links.
The following users liked this post:
halfmonkey (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 12:49 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by G.Irish
Agreed on all points. The biggest thing that kinda sours me on the whole GT car deal right now is the lack of transparency and shiftyness. If dealers want to capitalize on a hot market, fine. Just be straightforward about it, none of this changing the deal to squeeze the customer or blowing smoke to try to obfuscate the games they're playing. They're hurting the brand in the long run with what should be a premium experience. It's not good that the people trying to buy some of the most expensive cars for a brand are ending up with bad tastes in their mouths.

I know better than to get my hopes up with GM but it would be a breath of fresh air to see GM successfully crack down on the shenanigans with the Z06. Either way I'm not getting to fussed about it, we've got more options than ever in the high end sports car market.
It will be interesting to see if anything meaningful comes of the letter GM put out. Honda put out a letter about their Civic Type R and at least on the west coast, nothing came of it because dealers are still putting ADM on those cars. You have to go to midwest and some eastern states to pay MSRP on those cars and they've been out now for like 3 or 4 years.

The unfortunate part is the disconnect between the dealer and corporate because once the car is in the possession of the dealer, corporate has made their money and each dealer is seen as it's own entity to do as they please with their business and inventory. Unfortunately, the dealer is associated with corporate when in fact corporate seems to have very little influence on dealer business. Sure they can take away allocations and it seems that is what GM maybe threatening but like we all said, let's see if that comes to fruition.

These shady dealings give us a bad taste for the dealer and some extend that to corporate for not punishing the dealer for their shady ways. Again, don't know if corporate can really do anything or if they even want to do anything or see anything wrong with it since they haven't put out any letter that I'm aware of.

As for demand for GT4, Spyder, GT4 RS, GT3, etc there seems to always be more demand than supply and PAG seems to always be saying that they're building as many as they can. The C8 Z06 demand is currently much higher than supply but from what I've seen in years past, supply always ends up catching up to demand and then surpassing demand which will (should) erase the ADM. I love what GM has done with the Z06 especially with the Z07 package but I can't help but think that the car isn't "beautiful" to my eyes. It looks cool and sounds great but I don't believe it will age gracefully say 7 years from now when the C9 is released.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:30 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

As for demand for GT4, Spyder, GT4 RS, GT3, etc there seems to always be more demand than supply and PAG seems to always be saying that they're building as many as they can. The C8 Z06 demand is currently much higher than supply but from what I've seen in years past, supply always ends up catching up to demand and then surpassing demand which will (should) erase the ADM. I love what GM has done with the Z06 especially with the Z07 package but I can't help but think that the car isn't "beautiful" to my eyes. It looks cool and sounds great but I don't believe it will age gracefully say 7 years from now when the C9 is released.
The build a Corvette in 8 hours. They build a Spyder(et al) in 8 days. I think that is the difference. They have already built over 25000 C8s. I doubt we are at 2500 Spyders....and that is a world wide car versus the Corvette which is mostly US.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:24 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flynlo
The build a Corvette in 8 hours. They build a Spyder(et al) in 8 days. I think that is the difference. They have already built over 25000 C8s. I doubt we are at 2500 Spyders....and that is a world wide car versus the Corvette which is mostly US.
It takes 8 days to build these cars?! For a car that is built on an assembly line with robots, that is terrible. Porsche needs to rework their line to get these cars out faster to meet demand. Once they get that figured out, everybody wins. Porsche sells more and we have more inventory which should bring the prices back in line with MSRP since supply would catch up to demand.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:47 AM
PorscheMeister42
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 36 Posts

It takes 8 days to build these cars?! For a car that is built on an assembly line with robots, that is terrible. Porsche needs to rework their line to get these cars out faster to meet demand. Once they get that figured out, everybody wins. Porsche sells more and we have more inventory which should bring the prices back in line with MSRP since supply would catch up to demand.
You don’t understand the production process Porsche has in place. Everything is built to “just in time” standards. The Spyder isn’t just sent through Stuttgart as quick as possible. It does take time to ensure quality control. These aren’t completely automated assembly lines. Several videos document the process, do view them at your leisure.

Separately, Spyder models most often have lots of Exclusive Manufaktur parts to them. This requires a second stop in a separate building which contains on their shop. A different crew of workers hand strip the “normal”’pieces of the car off the vehicle and then equip the EM pieces to the car as needed. This can take time to do depending on the options the car had added.

8 days for something as unique as a Spyder is nothing.

Besides the above, why flood the market for something you can get if you just are fine waiting for it. Porsche does not care if everyone gets a car. It’s a machine and a business. They want calculated, steady growth. Porsche makes their money when they sell the car to the dealer. What happens after that is of benefit to the PCNA and Dealer network.

Pick a car, get on the list at a store, and build the relationship with your dealer. You’ll get the car you want, when they can get it for you.
jimdillard (02-12-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 02:26 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheMeister42
You don’t understand the production process Porsche has in place. Everything is built to “just in time” standards. The Spyder isn’t just sent through Stuttgart as quick as possible. It does take time to ensure quality control. These aren’t completely automated assembly lines. Several videos document the process, do view them at your leisure.

Separately, Spyder models most often have lots of Exclusive Manufaktur parts to them. This requires a second stop in a separate building which contains on their shop. A different crew of workers hand strip the “normal”’pieces of the car off the vehicle and then equip the EM pieces to the car as needed. This can take time to do depending on the options the car had added.

8 days for something as unique as a Spyder is nothing.

Besides the above, why flood the market for something you can get if you just are fine waiting for it. Porsche does not care if everyone gets a car. It’s a machine and a business. They want calculated, steady growth. Porsche makes their money when they sell the car to the dealer. What happens after that is of benefit to the PCNA and Dealer network.

Pick a car, get on the list at a store, and build the relationship with your dealer. You’ll get the car you want, when they can get it for you.
You're correct that I don't understand the build process of Porsche. Just in time is more of a supply benefit so that warehouses aren't full and stocked with parts waiting to be installed. Toyota invented this production philospohy many, many years ago and manufacturers have since adopted this production philosophy. I guess when you talk about the Exclusive Manufaktur items and CXX options, yes all in I can see it taking 8 days or in my case, weeks but I was thinking to produce a Spyder/GT4 or whatever down an assembly line should not take 8 days. So to clarify, if you're referring to adding in the EM and CXX options, then yes I can see that and I would say 8 days may be optimistic cuz like I said, my car was in production for about 1 month with all of the delays.

I wouldn't necessarily say that producing more Spyder and GT4's at this point would be flooding the market. There is clearly way more demand than supply. I was merely saying that if it takes 8 days to run a car down an automated assembly line, something is wrong especially in today's age of production efficiency.

As far as everyone saying to build a relationship, that's not a guaranteed method of getting a car. I'm a first time Porsche owner and got MSRP. If I recall correctly, I had two or three places offer me MSRP when I was shopping around. Market timing is more of a factor than relationships in my opinion. September 2021 didn't require any kind of relationship what so ever. My closest dealer at the time had about 9 GT4/Spyders on the lot and it was the height of COVID resurgence. People on this board were reporting discounts. Now with supply chain disruptions at full, interest rates still keeping low, stock markets still doing well, housing markets still at all times high, minimum wages going to $18/hour etc, etc everybody seems to be in a buying frenzy with COVID be dammned so it's driving up the cost of everything.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:11 AM
ausgang
Racer

Received 386 Likes on 161 Posts

.... but I was thinking to produce a Spyder/GT4 or whatever down an assembly line should not take 8 days.
You are right, and nobody really knows what the claim of '8 days average' means anyway.
OEMs, and their line designers, use the metric of the median gap in time between vehicles coming off the line complete.
So, nobody talks about 'how many days'. They talk about the number of vehicles completed per hour, shift, day, etc.
A lengthy work-in-process production flow is not associated with build quality.
Old 01-22-2022, 02:02 PM
thejholmes
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

Got this email from Jun Quinto at Porsche Monterey:

On the Spyder that we have an available allocation on, we can do $10K over although you have to buy the Porsche Spyder watch that has to go with it.
​​​​​​​I already got mine, hopefully you can get yours and a neat watch!
Old 01-22-2022, 02:09 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

There’s a spyder watch now?
Old 01-22-2022, 02:15 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thejholmes

I already got mine, hopefully you can get yours and a neat watch!
​​​​​​​And this watch costs?
Old 01-22-2022, 02:23 PM
nobbyv
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Westcoast
And this watch costs?
$25k

Last edited by nobbyv; 01-22-2022 at 05:08 PM.
Jayman13 (01-23-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 02:29 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nobbyv
$25k
Old 01-22-2022, 03:13 PM
cpxchewy
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
​​​​​​​And this watch costs?
I'm guessing around 8.5k USD to 12k USD depending on options.
https://www.porsche-design.com/de/en...lt-timepieces/
Old 01-22-2022, 05:10 PM
cybers3c
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by thejholmes

I already got mine, hopefully you can get yours and a neat watch!
Thank you @thejholmes ! I just spoke to Jun and grabbed the allocation. Don't care about the watch though. Anybody want a watch for cheap? if so, PM me.
The following 2 users liked this post by cybers3c:
JBM718GTS (01-22-2022), Mj7801 (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 06:36 PM
thejholmes
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by cybers3c
Thank you @thejholmes ! I just spoke to Jun and grabbed the allocation. Don't care about the watch though. Anybody want a watch for cheap? if so, PM me.
I'll take it for hooking you up 😀

Quick Reply: Dealer Allocation Tracker