Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Waiting Room For Your New 718. Jump in here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2024, 06:48 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,804 Likes on 2,148 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
The whole process was disappointing with Austin Porsche, since I never received anything official from them. I had to beg the SA for info, and all I got were partial screen shots of my build.
That is their long standing reputation...little bit better now days, but not much.

They told me I could submit an offer for a Spyder RS at/above +$150K ADM...lol, thanks.

I went with Plano
Old 08-23-2024, 06:51 PM
Kram71
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm really bummed, and for something really stupid. Just went to MyPorsche, to check that my VIN had an 'R' on the 10th digit, denoting MY2024 (to help somebody else), and while going down at the bottom of the page, saw all the options on my car, so paid attention to them, and didn't see one I really wanted, which Porsche took away after the 981: Power steering column. Well, it's not there. This is the first (and probably last) car I personally order to my specs, and I was expecting ALL my specs. I don't know if I'm looking for an excuse not having to pay 100 grand for a car (with taxes and accessories), but I wanted that 'luxury' part (along with memory 14-ways, full leather, sport chrono, etc). Saw a page the SA sent me AFTER the freeze date, and didn't catch that... but it wouldn't have mattered. And yes, it absolutely was on the build I sent them (just checked it). Glad I caught it now, to decide what to do, instead of coming as a nasty surprise once there, reaching for the non-existent switch. Ha ha. That might be the reason to just order a '25 locally, especially since this one will surely arrive past the driving season (with summer tires). Oh well. The whole process was disappointing with Austin Porsche, since I never received anything official from them. I had to beg the SA for info, and all I got were partial screen shots of my build.
I did not get the electric tilt wheel if that is what you mean. After trying the tilt wheel in person I thought it was perfectly fine and that the power seats were much more important. I do not even use my tilt wheel now in my BMWs. You mentioned looking for an excuse not to buy a 100 grand car. I think you may be overthinking things a bit. You did not put any money down so you are really under no obligation. If you do not want it then do not take it. I'm sure the dealer will be able to sell it to somebody else. I'm sure my dealer (who were super nice) would not have given me an allocation without a deposit.
Old 08-23-2024, 07:52 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,474 Likes on 820 Posts

I agree with @Kram71 , i think you are overthinking it. Also just keep in mind that while 100k for this car is a lot of money, in the whole scheme of things it's actually pretty reasonable. I think a lot of it is that you are an older gentleman and so for many of your years, your car prices were quite low. You were around when Porsche Boxsters were starting at 44k. And now Boxsters start at 74k. When you look at prices between the two, it's easy to think that these cars should be cheaper.

I Think the best question you should ask yourself is if you really want a Porsche or not. There are plenty of other cars out there that can give you a RWD sports car experience for A LOT less money. And while money may not be an issue, if you feel like its not worth it, then it actually is an issue.
The following users liked this post:
Kram71 (08-23-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 08:20 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 109 Posts

Crap. Just noticed something else missing... and this is a big one: GT Sport steering wheel in leather ($320). Thought it was standard with the Style Edition, but just saw another '24 SE with BOTH options charged separately on the window sticker (power steering column is $220), so obviously neither one is standard. I'm probably going to pass on it. Not having the GT wheel is a deal-breaker, since I wanted the little wheel for drive modes there. Geez. Well, willl ask local GM timing for a '25. By the way, where the heck is the sport/sport+/etc modes without the GT steering wheel, but with sport chrono??? The configurator doesn't show neither the little wheel, nor the console buttons. So curious where will it be on that car. And is the GT wheel smaller in diameter, thicker, or both? Thank you.

EDIT: I kind of regretted not getting several things, like race-tex headliner and visors, steering casing in leather, dash and console trim in leather, and especially Burmester. So just configured one like that, and it rings right above $99K. Local guy doesn't have Style Editions, so I asked if he'd give me a discount on his base Cayman, and when he'd get it, so it doesn't cost me above the more desirable SE (about $99.5K). I'd order that one with the sport wheels. It'd be over 10 grand more than the other, but it's going to be the first and last car I'll ever special order, so might as well getting with everything I want, which is a luxurious canyon bomber that is a pleasure to drive. Will keep you posted. I'll have to officially get out of my current deal, but based on the SA screwing up TWICE, I don't feel bad doing that. I'd have kept it without those 2 errors. Plus they never collected a deposit, so don't anticipate getting too much grief.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-24-2024 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-24-2024, 02:49 AM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,474 Likes on 820 Posts

Crap. Just noticed something else missing... and this is a big one: GT Sport steering wheel in leather ($320). Thought it was standard with the Style Edition, but just saw another '24 SE with BOTH options charged separately on the window sticker (power steering column is $220), so obviously neither one is standard. I'm probably going to pass on it. Not having the GT wheel is a deal-breaker, since I wanted the little wheel for drive modes there. Geez. Well, willl ask local GM timing for a '25. By the way, where the heck is the sport/sport+/etc modes without the GT steering wheel, but with sport chrono??? The configurator doesn't show neither the little wheel, nor the console buttons. So curious where will it be on that car. And is the GT wheel smaller in diameter, thicker, or both? Thank you.

EDIT: I kind of regretted not getting several things, like race-tex headliner and visors, steering casing in leather, dash and console trim in leather, and especially Burmester. So just configured one like that, and it rings right above $99K. Local guy doesn't have Style Editions, so I asked if he'd give me a discount on his base Cayman, and when he'd get it, so it doesn't cost me above the more desirable SE (about $99.5K). I'd order that one with the sport wheels. It'd be over 10 grand more than the other, but it's going to be the first and last car I'll ever special order, so might as well getting with everything I want, which is a luxurious canyon bomber that is a pleasure to drive. Will keep you posted. I'll have to officially get out of my current deal, but based on the SA screwing up TWICE, I don't feel bad doing that. I'd have kept it without those 2 errors. Plus they never collected a deposit, so don't anticipate getting too much grief.
The little wheel with drive modes has nothing to do with the steering wheel. The little wheel for drive modes is added when you add the Sport Chrono package. Now that package does come with the Manual Option so if you specced the manual transmission you should also be getting sport Chrono. If you do pull out of the deal, i recommend posting here with your build and asking people if they feel you've missed anything. A lot of us have done this multiple times and so it'll be easy to spot things that you might have missed.
Kram71 (08-24-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 10:38 AM
TRenz
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
To be clear, you ordered the power steering column but then saw it was removed at a later point? I thought it was a standard feature with the 14/18-way seats?
On our 2025 Cayman S order, we added:

Option Code: 648
Electric Steering Column ($220)
Electric adjustment of the steering column in conjunction with 14-way and 18-way seats.

We have 2 drivers and we wanted the position of the steering wheel to be saved along with the seat position of the 18-way seats.
Old 08-24-2024, 02:18 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

I had 6MT and sport chrono, but for some crazy reason, the GT wheel wasn't added, even though it was (and still is) a requirement when adding the Premium Package. Super weird. That's why I didn't pay attention to it. And the guy forgot to add the power steering column, so that's TWO missing options. And the general manager of my local Porsche dealer said without the GT wheel, the drive mode switch would be on the console. But I want the smaller GT wheel anyway, so I'm going to cancel the order. The good news is I should get the '25 almost at the same time, but it doesn't really matter, since I wouldn't be able to enjoy the car in December anyway, so might as well be a '25, and EXACTLY the way I want it. It'll be a base, but I actually like the classy lines better without any decals, and like the Carrera Sport wheels a little better too. Plus I regretted not going for the Burmester, so now I went all out, and ordered exactly what I wanted, price be damned. Ha ha. So added the Alcantara roof liner and visors, leather steering wheel casing, leather trim (instead of the cheesy plastic one), and don't remember what else, but here is the build, for comments: https://configurator.porsche.com/en-...dFrom=PS9SRFZ2 . I want a luxurious sports car that is a pleasure to drive anywhere, but comfortable enough for traveling. So in a way, I'm glad I didn't have the option to choose SPASM, since it'd have made the ride even firmer. And I'll never track the car anyway. I thought hard about PTV, but decided to leave it out. I like to corner hard, but don't rocket from corner to corner (same on my bike), so don't need it. Plus prefer my sports car fully analog anyway, with the added benefit of less weight, and especially less complication (less crap to go wrong). Also don't think it's really needed with a base engine. But got sport chrono (well, it's included now. Ha ha). Will have to pay about 2 grand more over a '24, plus the added options, but it's going to be my first and last special ordered car, so wanted to be exactly what I want. And I said less than 100 grand (it was total before, but I adjusted it to just 'MSRP'. Ha ha). Don't want to regret later not having added the luxury options I like so much. Hope you guys approve, but I can take any scorn you guys throw at me. Ha ha. Excited this could be a end-of-year delivery, basically just like the other car. But as long as it's here by February, I'd be fine with that. Just sold my trade today (getting picked up later), so I'm ready for the new car, whenever it arrives.

EDIT: Local dealer could try to get me a Style Edition if I wanted, but could be for later delivery. The SE doesn't have anything 'special' other than the Spyder wheels, which are very nice. I like the Carrera Sport ones the same, so not an issue. So the rest of the car is basically identical, since I added everything it has standard (LEDs, crest on seats, illuminated sills, etc). The base came up $300 over the SE, equipped identically. If I order the SE, I'd probably order it without the stickers anyway. My question is if an SE would be more valuable down the line, or not. That would be my only reason to consider swapping it for a later delivery.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-24-2024 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-24-2024, 02:27 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 101 Posts

I had 6MT and sport chrono, but for some crazy reason, the GT wheel wasn't added, even though it was (and still is) a requirement when adding the Premium Package. Super weird. That's why I didn't pay attention to it. And the guy forgot to add the power steering column, so that's TWO missing options. And the general manager of my local Porsche dealer said without the GT wheel, the drive mode switch would be on the console. But I want the smaller GT wheel anyway, so I'm going to cancel the order. The good news is I should get the '25 almost at the same time, but it doesn't really matter, since I wouldn't be able to enjoy the car in December anyway, so might as well be a '25, and EXACTLY the way I want it. It'll be a base, but I actually like the classy lines better without any decals, and like the Carrera Sport wheels a little better too. Plus I regretted not going for the Burmester, so now I went all out, and ordered exactly what I wanted, price be damned. Ha ha. So added the Alcantara roof liner and visors, leather steering wheel casing, leather trim (instead of the cheesy plastic one), and don't remember what else, but here is the build, for comments: https://configurator.porsche.com/en-...dFrom=PS9SRFZ2 . I want a luxurious sports car that is a pleasure to drive anywhere, but comfortable enough for traveling. So in a way, I'm glad I didn't have the option to choose SPASM, since it'd have made the ride even firmer. And I'll never track the car anyway. I thought hard about PTV, but decided to leave it out. I like to corner hard, but don't rocket from corner to corner (same on my bike), so don't need it. Plus prefer my sports car fully analog anyway, with the added benefit of less weight, and especially less complication (less crap to go wrong). Also don't think it's really needed with a base engine. But got sport chrono (well, it's included now. Ha ha). Will have to pay about 2 grand more over a '24, plus the added options, but it's going to be my first and last special ordered car, so wanted to be exactly what I want. And I said less than 100 grand (it was total before, but I adjusted it to just 'MSRP'. Ha ha). Don't want to regret later not having added the luxury options I like so much. Hope you guys approve, but I can take any scorn you guys throw at me. Ha ha. Excited this could be a end-of-year delivery, basically just like the other car. But as long as it's here by February, I'd be fine with that. Just sold my trade today (getting picked up later), so I'm ready for the new car, whenever it arrives.
It's going to knock you over 100k but get the PTV if you are building a real driver's car.
Old 08-24-2024, 02:30 PM
Kram71
Racer

Glad you got the car you wanted. I believe the multifunction steering wheel with sport mode dial on wheel did come as part of my premium package.
Old 08-24-2024, 02:42 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kram71
I believe the multi-function steering wheel with sport mode dial on wheel did come as part of my premium package.
It's not part of the premium package, BUT it's a required option on '24s and '25s. So stumped why it wasn't included in that car. It needs to be listed on the build, with its $320 extra charge. All other builds I've seen have that extra charge. I'll make damn sure the new one has it. Ha ha. I know the GM here (who bought my ex-house), so I'll be much better taken care of for sure. I never received anything from the other guy, other than blurry screen shots. And I closed the deal 2 days before freeze date, so that didn't help either. I know the process MUCH better now.

And I know that most folks here consider PTV a must, but in my case, and with a base engine, it'd just be dead weight that contributes nothing (other than just potential issues), since I'd never 'activate' it anyway. Or do you guys think I should absolutely add it for future resale? I hate doing that (ha ha), because it might not matter. And doesn't have SPASM. Or would it really make that much of a difference on a 2.0T with just PASM???

Last edited by JCtx; 08-24-2024 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-24-2024, 02:46 PM
Kram71
Racer

It's not part of the premium package, BUT it's a required option on '24s and '25s. So stumped why it wasn't included in that car. It needs to be listed on the build, with its $320 extra charge. All other builds I've seen have that extra charge. I'll make damn sure the new one has it. Ha ha. I know the GM here (who bought my ex-house), so I'll be much better taken care of for sure. I never received anything from the other guy, other than blurry screen shots. And I closed the deal 2 days before freeze date, so that didn't help either. I know the process MUCH better now.

And I know that most folks here consider PTV a must, but in my case, and with a base engine, it'd just be dead weight that contributes nothing (other than just potential issues), since I'd never 'activate' it anyway. Or do you guys think I should absolutely add it for future resale? I hate doing that (ha ha), because it might not matter. And doesn't have Sport PASM. Or does it really make that much of a difference???
I could be wrong but I do believe the heated multi function steering is part of my premium package. I do not know where the sports mode dial will be but I think it will be on my steering wheel since I have the chrono package. The GT wheel is a smaller wheel.

I did not get PTV nor Spasm.

Edit: You have me a bit confused but looking at my build pics it shows the multifunction steering wheel without the dial until chrono package is added and then it shows with the dial after chrono is added. I believe the heated multifunction steering wheel is included in the premium package. The sports dial is added with chrono. The GT wheel is a smaller wheel option.

Here are the pics. Click them to look closer.
Without chrono package:
https://pictures.porsche.com/rtt/iri...cn0TzoxKxJlnfD

With chrono package:
https://pictures.porsche.com/rtt/iri...fyH2qF1S1BpyPn

Last edited by Kram71; 08-24-2024 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-24-2024, 02:55 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Just multi-function wheel is part of the premium package. For the little mode wheel to be there, you absolutely need sport chrono. So maybe the little wheel will be there on the non-GT wheel, since the car has both premium package and sport chrono. But I want the smaller (and maybe beefier) GT wheel anyway. And same with my power steering column. So now that I have an excuse to pass on that car, will add the options I was skimping on. Ha ha. I wasn't skimping on PTV, but simply didn't want to pay for something I won't use. But I'm still willing to consider it if somebody can categorically tell me it'd still help with sporty driving without pushing car to its limits. I just don't like adding expense, complication, and weight, just for resale, when I might not even recover that extra expense. Hope I'm making sense.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-24-2024 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-24-2024, 03:03 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 101 Posts

Just multi-function wheel is part of the premium package. For the little mode wheel to be there, you absolutely need sport chrono. So maybe the little wheel will be there on the non-GT wheel, since the car has both premium package and sport chrono. But I want the smaller (and maybe beefier) GT wheel anyway. And same with my power steering column. So now that I have an excuse to pass on that car, will add the options I was skimping on. Ha ha. I wasn't skimping on PTV, but simply didn't want to pay for something I won't use. But I'm still willing to consider it if somebody can categorically tell me it'd still help with sporty driving without pushing car to its limits. I just don't like adding expense, complication, and weight, just for resale, when I might not even recover that extra expense. Hope I'm making sense.
My recommendation of PTV was somewhat based on your profile picture - looks like you enjoy pushing it in the twisties.
Old 08-24-2024, 03:12 PM
Kram71
Racer

Yes now I believe you have it correct. Heated Multi Function wheel comes standard with premium package. Sport Plus mode and wheel get added with chrono. Mine should have the mode wheel on my steering wheel. I will not have the smaller GT wheel.
Old 08-24-2024, 03:31 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bobbyp
My recommendation of PTV was somewhat based on your profile picture - looks like you enjoy pushing it in the twisties.
I do. Ha ha. BUT just cornering. I like to ride and drive at what is called 'the pace', meaning cornering aggressively, but not rocketing from corner to corner. So just maintaining throttle, and accelerating mildly after the apex, not all out, like I do on track schools. I like to enjoy the scenery too. Ha ha. Anyway, that's why I don't think I need PTV. Plus the little 2.0T is not that powerful, and has the same size tires as the more powerful 2.5T and GTS 4.0. But I'm willing to reconsider adding it. I'd like to know how much heavier the thing is. And if it'd make a difference in sportier driving, but still not quite at the limits of the car. I like to pick up the pace a little sometimes (ha ha), obviously when empty, but nothing crazy. I definitely push more on bikes than cars, even when driving alone. But with the wife, she can't take more than about 0.75g cornering max, and just for a little bit, before she gets dizzy. Ha ha. But I still enjoy driving at that pace. My ex-981 GTS felt absolutely planted, but it had X73 (and PTV too -standard). But man, it was PUNISHING when traveling. It got old fast for the wife... and she's older now. Ha ha. It also was a bit much for me. If it had SPASM back then, maybe I'd have kept it, even though it was PDK. Hopefully PASM is not too much of a compromise on the new car, compared to how that GTS felt in the twisties. But we'll see. I'm getting it with the sportiest suspension choice (PASM). If PTV would help how it feels, even at a milder pace, I'd absolutely add it.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-24-2024 at 03:40 PM.
bobbyp (08-24-2024)

Quick Reply: Official Waiting Room For Your New 718. Jump in here.