Notices

The Giant EV General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 05:21 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Runner
Couldn't give a crap about EV anything. I'll never buy. Glad I have a real 718 Spyder.

The following 2 users liked this post by SoCal-NSX:
rasetsu (02-22-2023), reacp911 (02-19-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 06:07 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
I don't know....its gonna be hard to justify if it has similar numbers to a Model 3 Performance with 3 second 0-60 times and industry leading tech can be had brand new right now for under $60K... not to mention, 300 mile range and passenger/cargo space..

They need to keep it close to that price range or have insane 2.5 second 0-60 times ....I just can't see them making a Porsche Turbo S killer though

Either way, I'm sure they will nail it and sell a shht ton of them
Have you ever driven a Model 3?

Porsche is selling every Taycan they can build for 50 percent more than the comparable Tesla. What makes you think the Cayman EV won’t be the same? Based on your logic, Porsche shouldn’t be able to sell a single 911, and we should all be driving Corvettes instead.

Old 02-18-2023, 06:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Runner
Couldn't give a crap about EV anything. I'll never buy. Glad I have a real 718 Spyder.
Then you should get used to looking at taillights…
Old 02-19-2023, 06:36 AM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 908 Likes on 361 Posts

Video:
Old 02-19-2023, 08:16 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Have you ever driven a Model 3?

Porsche is selling every Taycan they can build for 50 percent more than the comparable Tesla. What makes you think the Cayman EV won’t be the same? Based on your logic, Porsche shouldn’t be able to sell a single 911, and we should all be driving Corvettes instead.

lot's to unpack here...

yes, I test drove a Model 3 Long Range AWD dual motor last month and was instantly hooked ... put my 4 series up for sale and started searching for my first EV.....picked up my Model 3 Performance last Monday and haven't stopped smiling since. By far one of the most fun cars I've ever driven and by far the quickest car I've ever driven...Picked up a low mile gem from Tesla's used inventory, had the car within a week from ordering. 2020 Model 3 Performance with 25,877 miles

BTW, Porsche sold about 9,000 Taycan's in US in 2022....Tesla sold over 240,000 Model 3's in US in 2022 and it's not hard to see why

The price, the tech and the superior charging infrastructure is hard to compete with.. Tesla outsold all the other EV's from every manufacturer combined by 7 to 1

You would have to pay over three times the cost to get a Taycan that can compete with the Model 3 Performance

Porsche Taycan Turbo with a 3.0 sec 0-60 starts at $156,000
Tesla Model 3 Performance with a 3.1 sec 0-60 starts at $53,990 (with a $7500 tax credit on top) $46,500 after credit

I could get a Model 3 Performance and a 718 GTS 4.0 for about the same price as a Taycan Turbo

I'm not knocking Porsche at all, in fact I said they will probably kill it with the Cayman EV(kill it as in make a bad *** car)

I'm just saying, for the money, it's hard to beat a Model 3 Performance ....It is a kick *** car, I can't stop driving it.

I'm not some crazy Tesla fan boy, but I'm not a Porsche fan boy either....I just like cars, especially ones that put a smile on my face and appreciate a great value.

Last edited by SoCal-NSX; 02-19-2023 at 03:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GT Omologata (02-20-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 09:45 AM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 346 Likes on 222 Posts

You know, I've never seen an electric car driven aggressively. Lots of people in Beemers and pickups making fools of themselves, tho
Lady Silver (02-19-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 11:33 AM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts

Especially these gigantic pickup trucks. What is it with the size and height? Trailer truck envy?
kwikit356 (02-27-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 04:12 PM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 346 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady Silver
Especially these gigantic pickup trucks. What is it with the size and height? Trailer truck envy?
here's a cool cartoon.

Apologies if I've already posted

Lady Silver (02-21-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 12:30 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

lot's to unpack here...

yes, I test drove a Model 3 Long Range AWD dual motor last month and was instantly hooked ... put my 4 series up for sale and started searching for my first EV.....picked up my Model 3 Performance last Monday and haven't stopped smiling since. By far one of the most fun cars I've ever driven and by far the quickest car I've ever driven...Picked up a low mile gem from Tesla's used inventory, had the car within a week from ordering. 2020 Model 3 Performance with 25,877 miles

BTW, Porsche sold about 9,000 Taycan's in US in 2022....Tesla sold over 240,000 Model 3's in US in 2022 and it's not hard to see why

The price, the tech and the superior charging infrastructure is hard to compete with.. Tesla outsold all the other EV's from every manufacturer combined by 7 to 1

You would have to pay over three times the cost to get a Taycan that can compete with the Model 3 Performance

Tesla Model 3 Performance with a 3.1 sec 0-60 starts at $53,990 (with a $7500 tax credit on top) $46,500 after credit

I could get a Model 3 Performance and a 718 GTS 4.0 for about the same price as a Taycan Turbo

I'm not knocking Porsche at all, in fact I said they will probably kill it with the Cayman EV(kill it as in make a bad *** car)

I'm just saying, for the money, it's hard to beat a Model 3 Performance ....It is a kick *** car, I can't stop driving it.

I'm not some crazy Tesla fan boy, but I'm not a Porsche fan boy either....I just like cars, especially ones that put a smile on my face and appreciate a great value.
Glad you enjoy it, but there’s no comparison between a TTS and a Model 3 Performance, other than zero to 60 times. If you can’t see that, my guess is that you haven’t driven a Taycan.

Also, as it comes to production numbers, Porsche has sold 100,000 Taycan’s over three years, which is every single car they produced. Porsche is not a volume manufacturer and has no desire to become one, whereas Tesla is 100 percent focused on quantity not quality of the experience. Porsche doesn’t compete with Tesla anymore than Ferrari competes with Chevrolet.

Last edited by Archimedes; 02-20-2023 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-20-2023, 02:25 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,743 Likes on 956 Posts

lot's to unpack here...

The specs the model 3 is hard to beat, but i stopped looking at them as luxury car competitors. When you eliminate the EV aspect and performance, it is more on par with a Kia/mitsubishi/chevy car rather than a luxury car. They don't really compete against a tacan in any way shape or form other than performance and being a EV. Given infinite money I'm sure every Telsa owner excluding the diehard fanboys would probably rather have a Taycan.

Just tonight my wife asked about Telsas as an option and I'm giving it another look mostly because your post was fresh in my mind. I ran through the pros and cons in my head, and since I really do not care about performacne for a DD as long as it does 0-60 in 5 seconds or slightly less (which is as fast as I need for passing in the mountains) it doesn't have a lot of pros. Interior, build quality, tesla business model, tesla support, range anxiety are some big cons. The pros I see are: it is a very cheap EV; A new base model in Canada is 52g or so, similar money to a IS300 or base 330e. Purchase cost is a bit better than a hybrid lexus. Right now electricity is cheap to run vs gas. Entry into it is actually quite attractive for the base base model of it. But then there are some other cons...

With absolutely how hot EV's are right now, why are telsas selling for so little used? I'm seeing ones for under 40g Cad that are a couple years old. Lease rates are also interesting. 850 a month over 48 months. Telsa thinks after 4 years the car will be on par with used maserati/lincoln/cadillac depreciation? Sounds like they know they're potential turds, and it sounds liek from the used market previous owners know they are too. As a long time bmw owner who knows a thing or 2 about bmw depreciation those are some huge red flags. I might pay a bit more for a hybrid lexus, but we literally made 5g off driving her lexus for 5 years. A 5 year old model 3 sounds like we're going to lose potentially 75% of it's valve? To save what? 5g on gas? To help the environment? pfff, the lexus probably helps the environment more because it'll probably still be on the road in 20 years whereas the Telsa sounds like it'll be dumped into a landfill after 6-10 years.

I'm still going to spend this week giving it a hard fair look as an option, but I'll be surprised if it makes sense to us in the end. Also, the random uncontrollable EV nuclear fire in the garage next to my front entrance and stairs is pretty terrifying with having a little kid. I think that alone makes me not want that in a house with an attached garage.

Last edited by Zhao; 02-20-2023 at 02:28 AM.
borivojc (08-11-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 06:36 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zhao
The specs the model 3 is hard to beat, but i stopped looking at them as luxury car competitors. When you eliminate the EV aspect and performance, it is more on par with a Kia/mitsubishi/chevy car rather than a luxury car. They don't really compete against a tacan in any way shape or form other than performance and being a EV. Given infinite money I'm sure every Telsa owner excluding the diehard fanboys would probably rather have a Taycan.

Just tonight my wife asked about Telsas as an option and I'm giving it another look mostly because your post was fresh in my mind. I ran through the pros and cons in my head, and since I really do not care about performacne for a DD as long as it does 0-60 in 5 seconds or slightly less (which is as fast as I need for passing in the mountains) it doesn't have a lot of pros. Interior, build quality, tesla business model, tesla support, range anxiety are some big cons. The pros I see are: it is a very cheap EV; A new base model in Canada is 52g or so, similar money to a IS300 or base 330e. Purchase cost is a bit better than a hybrid lexus. Right now electricity is cheap to run vs gas. Entry into it is actually quite attractive for the base base model of it. But then there are some other cons...

With absolutely how hot EV's are right now, why are telsas selling for so little used? I'm seeing ones for under 40g Cad that are a couple years old. Lease rates are also interesting. 850 a month over 48 months. Telsa thinks after 4 years the car will be on par with used maserati/lincoln/cadillac depreciation? Sounds like they know they're potential turds, and it sounds liek from the used market previous owners know they are too. As a long time bmw owner who knows a thing or 2 about bmw depreciation those are some huge red flags. I might pay a bit more for a hybrid lexus, but we literally made 5g off driving her lexus for 5 years. A 5 year old model 3 sounds like we're going to lose potentially 75% of it's valve? To save what? 5g on gas? To help the environment? pfff, the lexus probably helps the environment more because it'll probably still be on the road in 20 years whereas the Telsa sounds like it'll be dumped into a landfill after 6-10 years.

I'm still going to spend this week giving it a hard fair look as an option, but I'll be surprised if it makes sense to us in the end. Also, the random uncontrollable EV nuclear fire in the garage next to my front entrance and stairs is pretty terrifying with having a little kid. I think that alone makes me not want that in a house with an attached garage.
They don't compete? Do you mean Porsche doesn't compete? ..Tesla doesn't really have any competition right now when it comes to EV's...
watch some YouTube videos of the Model S Plaid destroy a Taycan Turbo S

I think many people would rather buy a Model S Plaid over a Taycan Turbo S ....It would embarrass a TTS in a race, has twice the range and better tech...and is about $100K less these days....Only Porsche fan boys pay the extra $100K to get stomped by a Tesla

as far as resale value? the used market is down everywhere right now and now with the new price drop and tax incentives, it's even better now if you are in the market for a used Tesla....but they are on par with most other mass produced luxury brand cars if not better on depreciation.

I took advantage of the market and scored a low mile 2020 Model 3 Performance with enhanced autopilot through Tesla and saved over $20K on what it would cost new (a '23 in my spec would be $61,400 w/destination) I would highly recommend buying through Tesla on a used one as they come with extended warranty and usually have software upgrades for pennies on the dollar and the buying experience is awesome...no BS dealer games, simple straight forward purchase

The interior is on par with any luxury car I've ever owned as far as material and fit and finish...it's just very minimalistic, which is purposeful and actually kinda nice once you get used to the touch screen

I have solar and also live in a very Tesla friendly area so range anxiety will never be a factor for me.

I got it a week ago and haven't driven the 718 since.....this is a very comfortable car and just way too fun. It is the ultimate daily driver. After owning one now for only a week, I can see why people never go back to ICE vehicles after getting one....when I hear people talk **** about them, I immediately know they've probably never even been in one let alone drove one for any significant time

Last edited by SoCal-NSX; 02-20-2023 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:20 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,502 Likes on 2,008 Posts

https://electrek.co/2023/02/17/2025-...testing-video/

Old 02-20-2023, 09:03 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

They don't compete? Do you mean Porsche doesn't compete? ..Tesla doesn't really have any competition right now when it comes to EV's...
watch some YouTube videos of the Model S Plaid destroy a Taycan Turbo S

I think many people would rather buy a Model S Plaid over a Taycan Turbo S ....It would embarrass a TTS in a race, has twice the range and better tech...and is about $100K less these days....Only Porsche fan boys pay the extra $100K to get stomped by a Tesla
I have seen YouTube videos of Plaids destroying themselves…when the brakes overheat and the car goes straight off the track…

And if you want to see how they compare, look no further than this side by side comparison of the Plaid and the Turbo. Notice how the Plaid driver is making furious steering corrections to keep the car on the road, while the Porsche driver looks like he’s out for a Sunday drive.

Oh, if you look up the lastest fastest laps verified times, the TTS is two seconds faster around the Ring than the Plaid…

It’s great that you love your Model 3 P, but it’s not a direct competitor to the Taycan except in 0-60 times. People aren’t cross shopping a Model 3 and a Taycan.

Last edited by Archimedes; 02-20-2023 at 09:07 PM.
GT Omologata (02-21-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 09:22 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TXRubicon
this thing is going to be amazing....I'm guessing it will be a dual motor AWD

The M3P has Track Mode which allows you to customize the AWD ratio from 100% front to 100% rear and anything you want in between ...would be cool if it came with that too.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:33 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I have seen YouTube videos of Plaids destroying themselves…when the brakes overheat and the car goes straight off the track…

And if you want to see how they compare, look no further than this side by side comparison of the Plaid and the Turbo. Notice how the Plaid driver is making furious steering corrections to keep the car on the road, while the Porsche driver looks like he’s out for a Sunday drive.

https://youtu.be/4GLaMb-lDvI

Oh, if you look up the lastest fastest laps verified times, the TTS is two seconds faster around the Ring than the Plaid…

It’s great that you love your Model 3 P, but it’s not a direct competitor to the Taycan except in 0-60 times. People aren’t cross shopping a Model 3 and a Taycan.
No, they don't cross shop them, but I don't think people buy them for the track either...In fact 95% of the population will never drive on a track in their lifetime...but in every day light to light driving, 0-60, 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, etc ...the Plaid kills the TTS and its almost $100K cheaper

Don't know about you, but I'm guessing most would rather have a Plaid and a 718 GTS for the same price as a TTS....

or better yet, ballin on a budget like me and get a Model 3 Performance and a 718 6MT for the same price as a Plaid

Last edited by SoCal-NSX; 02-20-2023 at 10:49 PM.

Quick Reply: The Giant EV General Discussion Thread