Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 06:12 PM
SHPCayenne
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh boy. http://www.businessinsider.com/porsc...mployee-2017-3

Porsche just announced that it is going to give about a $9K bonus to every Porsche employee.

Now, I'm not saying that the assembly line workers, janitors and others don't deserve something. But, the optics of this self-congratulatory behavior while Porsche is simultaneously paying out millions to settle a major fraud on the very people who made them rich don't look good.

Last edited by SHPCayenne; 03-25-2017 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:15 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

$9,000, not $9....

I have to assume that, since it's technically VW powertrain in the Cayenne diesel, that VW is shouldering most of the blame and costs for the payout vs. passing the pain on to the Porsche division.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:41 PM
flyfisher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Ugh. Fail on step one.

Tried to register on the website. Asked for my VIN. entered it, it told me I'm eligible. Then asked and address and email. Which I did, then hit submit.

Nothing.

Sat there with a spinning wheel and "submitting information" for about 5 minutes. Figured I'd hit refresh on my browser in desperation. Of course, cleared all fields. Tried to resubmit???

"Sorry, this email has been submitted for VINWP1XXXXXXX" with my CORRECT VIN. ugh. So I try resubmitting same VIN with another email. Same damn spinny wheel! and no emails.

Arrrrrgh!
The same thing happened to me. When I tried to resubmit it said the VIN was already submitted. I did not receive any confirmation email. So are we registered or not?
Old 03-25-2017, 10:25 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by flyfisher
The same thing happened to me. When I tried to resubmit it said the VIN was already submitted. I did not receive any confirmation email. So are we registered or not?
I am calling Monday. I assume we would have gotten a confirmation email.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:15 AM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same problem registering on line.
Called this AM, quick and easy.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:19 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

You may want to try switching browsers. Worked for me on IE but not on Chrome. Not sure about Firefox.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:24 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
$9,000, not $9....

I have to assume that, since it's technically VW powertrain in the Cayenne diesel, that VW is shouldering most of the blame and costs for the payout vs. passing the pain on to the Porsche division.
If you read the criminal complaint, it is very clear that Audi was the driving force behind this fiasco (they also had Bosch work the software too), and most definitely for the 3.0L side it was an Audi show. As a result in the civil complaint, VW is responsible for VW, Audi, and Porsche, but only Porsche is responsible for Porsche. In other words, if Porsche fails to pay costs (liability) then VW must cover Porsche. But if VW and Audi fail to pay, Porsche is not responsible to cover the VW/Audi liability.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:49 PM
tmack2012
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headline on leftlanenews.com today

VW owners claim emissions fix makes cars 'undriveable'

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/vw-owner...#ixzz4cZboZuzN

http://www.leftlanenews.com/vw-owner...fix-95196.html
Old 03-27-2017, 09:25 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

But not applicable to US cars. Different regs, so we'll see.

I thought I had seen that the US VW owners were generally happy with their fixes?
Old 03-27-2017, 10:04 PM
tmack2012
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skiahh

I thought I had seen that the US VW owners were generally happy with their fixes?
Fair enough but it raises the issue of what is considered "no significant decrease in performance". If VW can show that peak horsepower and torque figures are unchanged, could they have a technical 'out' even though the power curve has shifted far enough to the right so as to obviously compromise drivability?

Not sure if VW will be held to very explicit parameters re. this. This may have been bandied about already in this thread...
Old 03-28-2017, 06:22 AM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When should we be expecting the first installment of compentsation from pag
Old 03-28-2017, 10:58 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by tmack2012

Originally Posted by skiahh

Yeah those complaints don't match up with pretty much all of the feedback on TDIClub.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:32 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

^^^ remember it is a different fix. Remember also they are different customers, who feel neglected because they haven't got any compensation
Old 03-28-2017, 02:31 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for posting this ... always good to get information from all sides. I tend to agree with others here that it may be apples versus oranges and let's hope that is indeed the case. Also as noted TDIClub folks with US approved repairs seem to be generally happy. I suspect the quoted drop in torque and HP from the article would exceed the approved settlement range of allowed change. Still would have been nice to hear from the Europe folks that all was good post repairs ... I wonder if this is a majority view or a minority view ...
Old 03-28-2017, 05:58 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
When should we be expecting the first installment of compentsation from pag
Sometime early summer, I would guess. Comment period has to expire and then final approval signed by the judge. That's May 11th. After it's approved, we should be able to start the process and get the first half amounts.

Fair enough but it raises the issue of what is considered "no significant decrease in performance". If VW can show that peak horsepower and torque figures are unchanged, could they have a technical 'out' even though the power curve has shifted far enough to the right so as to obviously compromise drivability?

Not sure if VW will be held to very explicit parameters re. this. This may have been bandied about already in this thread...
Peak Torque and Peak HP are the metrics. Along with 3% of MPG. I'm guessing that's the original MPG as tested using the EPA method for the appropriate year vehicle.

From the Settlement Notice:

(1) a reduction calculated in fuel economy using the EPA formula of
more than 3 MPG; (2) a decrease of greater than 5% in peak horsepower; or (3) decrease of greater than 5% peak torque.

So yes, if they change things but keep peak torque and HP numbers, they're covered. It'll be up to us, at that point, to reject the fix if it changes driveability. And that's entirely subjective, so it may be a hard thing to challenge.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue