Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 S Project Coming

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 12:26 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

The car is finally in the paint shop. It will keep much of the original paint on it. I asked the shop to try and save as much as possible. The front fenders and front and rear bumper will be repainted Midnight Blue Metallic L39C, that's the current color of the car. The hood as well will be reshot. This shop came recommended by my Mercedes buddy. I saw some of the work this shop did on a pearl white Audi. It was spot on. Car may be out by Saturday, I told them to take their time, however I know time is money for any paint shop. I do plan on getting the Ceramic coating on parts of the car that were repainted. Since this is not the 10k paint job I figured may as well protect the paint well. Especially since I will be driving the car to Spokane and entering it into our club concourse in a couple of months. May not win but an honorable mention will be cool, plus just participating. Just got the registration sorted and car runs very good. May need some new shocks as these may be the originals. So swaybar and shocks before my trip to Spokane. I may just have the car shipped from Cali as the drive will be a monster. May drive back though. Here are some pics of the drive to work one day and when I stopped by the paint shop on Friday.

This is when I drove the car to work for a meeting. Ran into a nice GT car in the parking lot.

Before painting at work

Found a nice cousin in the parking lot.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:21 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

The car is still in the paint shop. I told the paint shop I would like to have the car on this Saturday. They really scared me when I went to take a look last week and they said they lost the gas cap cover. They finally found it. They did a nice job on the paint but I didn't want them to put anything back together. I'll do that. I really don't want any tech or mechanic to touch the car. I know that sounds a bit OCD but I feel I know every bolt on the car now. So I look forward to getting the car on Saturday.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:57 AM
German888
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great so far. I live in Spokane so I look forward to seeing your car in person at Porsche Parade. Let me know if you've signed up for any events? I'm leading one of the nicer drives up to Schweitzer Mt Ski Lodge.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:36 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

I am already registered and will be going. I haven't found a hotel yet but may end up at one of the selected event hotels. I am still trying to figure out if I will drive my car or have it shipped. I heard it's about 300.00 or so to ship from California to Washington.

Picking up the car on Saturday and then taking it to Cooper Boggs to get Ceramic Pro coating on the paint. That drive sounds great. I would love to go. I'll check out the events. I want to enter the car in concourse. It will be my first time so I may not be that competitive but should be fun.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:54 AM
talkenrain
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, I'm told by a friend in the business, dealer cost to ship from Southern Cal to Portland, Or is about $550. If you know of a cheaper way, please let me know as i'm looking to ship a car from southern Cal (92627) to northern Oregon (97035)...
Old 03-30-2017, 02:01 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This has been such an epic build, looking forward to seeing your car looking shiny and new
Old 04-03-2017, 03:46 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

picked the car up from the painters today. Paint was good but some details need to be ironed out. Such as the damn painter had someone wet sand the car and water was everywhere. Also he painted the side mirrors really well except he forgot to take the protective cover off!!! and painted that cover too!. I didn't think you could paint that but he did. So I have to take the car back on Wednesday. Really hate that. Plus the guy broke a connector on the windshield wiper reservoir. Hope I don't have to get a new one .
Old 04-04-2017, 01:06 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Default 997 S Project

Well the paint job is not what I expected. Actually it's really bad. The shop was a flop and now I am really behind schedule for the CFOS.

The shop broke a connector off the wire harness that connects to one of the reservoir pumps. Here is a picture:

As you can see the wires come from the harness. Will I need to get a new harness?

This connector was broken as the painter tried to remove the reservoir from the fender.

I don't know which wire goes where. It looks like the shop broke off one of the pins.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:37 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

I think you should be able to fix that. The pins should be available separately, and same with the connector. It might take some digging with the parts guy at the dealership to get the right ones, but it should be doable. I had a similar issue with my C55's coil connectors. Benz has replacement wiring that you cut to length and solder in. In your case, I think you could buy a new pin and connector and off you go. The pin just slips in and clicks in place.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:00 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Well I picked the car up on Sunday. Here is a video of the paint job so far. It is a bit sloppy around the edges. I am actually taking all the panels back tomorrow. The rear and front bumper and the left and right fenders. The painter needs to paint the bottom of the bumpers and also he painted over the side mirrors (without taking off the damn clear covering). Nice old man but geesh! I think he had someone else finish as the shop was doing a lot of model T and older car restos. He won't get paid until he finishes the job completely. I actually took all the panels off when I left it there 2 weeks ago. All he had to do was spray the darn thing and correct the parts that didn't need to be painted. I need the car back by Saturday as I am going to a club detail seminar and want to show the car. Will be asking to have the car back on Friday. Suppose to rain this weekend here in Socal

Here is a YouTube link

Old 04-04-2017, 11:12 PM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a Bosch connector. Are there any numbers on it, potentially "1928 40 ..."? I had to order a similar one not too long ago.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:29 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by idlook2
That is a Bosch connector. Are there any numbers on it, potentially "1928 40 ..."? I had to order a similar one not too long ago.
Here are some closeup pics of the connector. This is a connector that connects on one of the windshield washer reservoir pumps. I hope to be able to fix it as It will surely throw a SES light.

This is the rear. I think the wires were simply plugged into each of these blue spongy things.

On the left is where the pin goes into the two gold pins. On the right something happened and the two thin pins is either missing or bent so a single pin can't go in between the two.

I tried to take this apart but no luck. May need to get another one somewhere.

Here is the number on the connector. 1J0 973 202, I think.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:51 PM
sequel95
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Name:  photo522.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  258.4 KB
Old 04-04-2017, 11:55 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Thanks much. I'll be ordering one of these tonight!!
Old 04-09-2017, 01:57 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Default 997 Project S

I think luck may not be with me on this paint job. I went to pick up the fenders and bumpers and side mirrors today. Very good job on the panels. I was putting on of them into the Cayenne and I heard a very loud crash. I looked up and saw that the painter had dropped the left fender on the cement. I ran over to look and he and another guy were standing over the fender looking at ruined paint and two big dents! I could have died right there. So things happen I guess. So I took what finished panels I had and went home. I'll pick up the other fender on next Tuesday and hopefully can move away from this painting debacle.

I spent much of the day putting the car back together. Put the rear bumper on and dropped a hex bit down into the bumper. I guess I have to take the whole bumper off again now just to retrieve that bit.
I really don't want to but I must. The side mirrors were redone. The protective plastic covering was removed (kinda, they left some around the neck of the mirror) and repainted. I think I'll have to totally take the mirrors apart to clean off all the clear covering. I'll put the mirrors back on tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 997 S Project Coming