Sponsored by:

Impressions of GT3 (Manifold)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 01:55 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroguru

OJ, are you and Manifold in this picture?
LOL. Poor choice of words on my part....
Old 01-21-2015, 02:28 AM
nycjwi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazing how this car really is the bargain of the century compared to its competition!
Old 01-21-2015, 07:27 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Great thread Manifold, were very much in the same page.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:01 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Congratulations on getting the car!

Michelin recommended storing the tires above 40F and not driving below 45F to avoid cracking on the MPSC. I've not seen the same technical document on the MPSC2, but I would expect it to be similar if not a higher temperature given the improvements in the compound.

Your call if you want to drive them - just hope you don't cause an injury to someone else. The biggest issue is there isn't a progressive loss of traction at the lower temperatures, it's an all or nothing gamble.
Congrats on car Manifold.
On the tires, anyone know where I can find this info for the Michelin Super Sports?
As someone who parks outside I have a keen interest. Thx.

Last edited by fbroen; 01-21-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:27 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

Random observations and thoughts:

- The handling inspires a lot of confidence.

- In manual mode, when coming to a stop, manually shifting from 2nd to 1st seems clunkier than letting the car do that downshift on its own. Hopefully that's not harming the car in any way? One advantage of regular manual is that you can just put it in neutral.

- The car feels more like a 911 than I expected from a 991, and more so than other 991 variants I've driven (though I haven't done those comparisons back to back yet). I'm wondering if the RWS is a big part of that, giving the car an agile shorter-wheebase feel at low to moderate speeds and tighter corners, combined with a stable longer-wheelbase feel at higher speeds. In other words, best of both worlds. Still feels rear-engined, yet balanced. I won't be surprised if the RWS finds its way into other Porsches in the future.

- Unfortunate that the steering feel is missing something compared to the 997. Not a big deal though, the precision of the steering more than makes up for it.

- The more I look at it, the more gorgeous the car looks to me.

- Some key things that make the manual shifting so satisfying: immediacy of the response creates connection with the car, the shifts have a nice auditory and kinesthetic 'bang', and freedom to shift at will in corners is great.

- Didn't the drive the car one day this week due to weather. When I drove it the next day, I feared it wouldn't be as good as I remembered - how could it be? But it didn't disappoint.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm really enjoying your feedback. You are picking up quickly on stuff it's taken me 12 months to find the words for! Your observations are spot on to date IMO. I drive it manual mostly and when pulling to a stop I manually change down as far as 2nd then let it do its own reset into 1st or else it seems mechanically in sympathetic to me and the blipping gets louder as you slow and shift down gears so can be quite loud and get slot of attention at the lights
Believe it or not after 14 months of owning this car the experience has just got better as I take it to tracks and really nail fast back roads familiar be on eRly morning raids then slink back through the city tragical satiated in auto listening to podcasts. I have to say it's the one mcguyver of a car that gets more and more under your skin. These are going to be higher mileage second hand!!!
Old 01-24-2015, 01:14 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold

- In manual mode, when coming to a stop, manually shifting from 2nd to 1st seems clunkier than letting the car do that downshift on its own. Hopefully that's not harming the car in any way? One advantage of regular manual is that you can just put it in neutral.
You can just pull both paddles and put the car in neutral.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:23 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Todd B
You can just pull both paddles and put the car in neutral.
I've avoided trying that while the car is being broken in, but will give it a shot. Putting in auto works ok too.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:26 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

I've avoided trying that while the car is being broken in, but will give it a shot. Putting in auto works ok too.
that's a good point, downshifting and letting the engine braking happen, makes more sense during break in.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:36 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Believe it or not after 14 months of owning this car the experience has just got better as I take it to tracks and really nail fast back roads familiar be on eRly morning raids then slink back through the city tragical satiated in auto listening to podcasts. I have to say it's the one mcguyver of a car that gets more and more under your skin.
Great to hear that it continues to get better. The development and calibration of this car is a remarkable engineering achievement, and IMO key to its brilliance.

I too like having the laid-back auto option when dealing with slow traffic, parking lots, or just trying to get from A to B. It's like having two transmissions in one car.

One more observation: I'm noticing more and more how the throttle response from a stop feels just like a manual car, which is a really nice touch.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great to hear that it continues to get better. The development and calibration of this car is a remarkable engineering achievement, and IMO key to its brilliance. I too like having the laid-back auto option when dealing with slow traffic, parking lots, or just trying to get from A to B. It's like having two transmissions in one car. One more observation: I'm noticing more and more how the throttle response from a stop feels just like a manual car, which is a really nice touch.
Isn't it great. When reversing in tight spots I'm flaring the throttle in short sifts tabs and it's sounding like a lumpy cam manual racer - just love it..
Old 01-24-2015, 03:57 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Isn't it great. When reversing in tight spots I'm flaring the throttle in short sifts tabs and it's sounding like a lumpy cam manual racer - just love it..
I've gotten quite good at this as the garage bay the GT3 sits, it is centered tandem between my 964 up front, with the TT996 behind. Can't wait to finally get it out tomorrow. The roads are finally clear.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:12 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Took the car out this morning on wet roads, temps in the high 30s F. Of course I wasn't pushing it, but with the MPSC2 tires, the grip was good. If the aids were helping, I couldn't tell.

My wife also drove the car for the first time in these far from ideal conditions. With the Cayman R as her main benchmark, and driving the GT3 grandma style, she said the GT3 felt heavy and big, with heavy steering feel. It didn't feel special to her. That's reminiscent of when I first test drove the GT3, and I think it reinforces the point that when the car is being driven below 5/10ths, it only hints at its potential and provides a relatively laid back experience.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:51 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 512 Posts

Interesting I agree that putting it in neutral is an easy way to bring the car to a stop. No clunks. I'm a bit north of 1300 mi. at the moment with zero complaints.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:11 PM
Kaes
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Working up through the gears is such a blast, but I'm really starting to get addicted to the downshifts. That mechanical sound is so compelling, and it just feels like that's what the engine and gearbox enjoy doing !! Got to 1,400 miles today.

Quick Reply: Impressions of GT3 (Manifold)