Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressions of GT3 (Manifold)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 12:27 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

My GT3 is totally stock (except for the Crawford wing) Stock OEM Wheel alignment, Steel Rotors. OEM Pads, MPSC2 Tires, Nannies ON, Etc. Other than that tail-wagging under High-speed (135-155 MPH) hard braking, cars handling has been superlative both before and after adding the Crawford Wing. IMHO,
It remains a docile, predictable *****-cat on the track albeit one super-fast muscular cat, and a delight to drive. Going on 9,000 Miles now, and the more I drive it, the more I like it.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:46 AM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not experienced the "tail wagging" that you described under similar conditions. I have been running Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires due to cooler and wetter driving conditions this winter and used these at Lime Rock this fall and Sebring this winter. I definitely notice a shutter on hard braking from 150 MPH but nothing unusual - I assume that this was just the trend blocks squirming a little with braking forces, especially on the rough Sebring track. The Cup 2s will go back on this spring.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:09 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,504 Likes on 2,562 Posts

I had the GT3 at the track again this weekend, and dialed the thing up a good bit. In a word, the car is MEGA. Handling, balance, power delivery, sound and bang of the shifts ... just awesome.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:31 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NMM991
I have not experienced the "tail wagging" that you described under similar conditions. I have been running Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires due to cooler and wetter driving conditions this winter and used these at Lime Rock this fall and Sebring this winter. I definitely notice a shutter on hard braking from 150 MPH but nothing unusual - I assume that this was just the trend blocks squirming a little with braking forces, especially on the rough Sebring track. The Cup 2s will go back on this spring.
^this....I also have not experienced tail wagging from high speed braking, I would normally say it's the result of a not perfectly straight track when intially hitting the braking zone but that would most likely be from a first timer and know we are getting this feedback from experienced track users.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:49 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I had the GT3 at the track again this weekend, and dialed the thing up a good bit. In a word, the car is MEGA. Handling, balance, power delivery, sound and bang of the shifts ... just awesome.
Where did you go this weekend?
Old 03-22-2015, 11:42 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlee504
Where did you go this weekend?
Jefferson Circuit (original and extended). Mostly instructing stuff, but still got in some good laps myself.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:53 PM
CPederse
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious....

.. those of you who are experiencing tail wagging - have you changed to SW or similar bypass? In another thread we're trying to figure out the impact (if any) from the disturbed airflow that a 3rd muffler delete will create. A wagging tail could be a result of less downforce from the disturbed underbody airflow.

Wings and spoilers look great... but the underbody airflow is one of the most important elements in downforce at speed.

Just wondering....

Originally Posted by sccchiii
^this....I also have not experienced tail wagging from high speed braking, I would normally say it's the result of a not perfectly straight track when intially hitting the braking zone but that would most likely be from a first timer and know we are getting this feedback from experienced track users.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:17 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CPederse
.. those of you who are experiencing tail wagging - have you changed to SW or similar bypass? In another thread we're trying to figure out the impact (if any) from the disturbed airflow that a 3rd muffler delete will create. A wagging tail could be a result of less downforce from the disturbed underbody airflow.

Wings and spoilers look great... but the underbody airflow is one of the most important elements in downforce at speed.

Just wondering....
I have SW bypass....as I stated in other thread I'm one that doesnt buy in to a major loss of stability by removing center muffler....I know what Porsche says about the underbody rear downforce design incorporating center muffler but car is very solid up to the speeds I've had car, 150-170 (I've been in plenty that don't feel stable at those speeds). I believe that the aluminum cover attached to engine provides most of the effect.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:41 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Did a second drive this morning, about 40 miles. Some observations:

- The most striking thing about the car is the way it feels connected to my brain. I think it, the car does it. Immediately. It's not so much feeling one with the car, but rather the car feeling an extension of my body and mind. This is a big part of why I paid so much for a car. Looking forward to finding out how much this applies on the track.

- I do suspect that the noise is chatter from the LWFW or gearbox. It actually reminds me of what I've heard from the 997 cup, except much quieter. And it definitely smooths out with speed. I kind of like how the sounds and character of the car vary, makes it more interesting.

- Temps have been about 29 to 34 F, so I've been taking a bit easy, not wanting to ball up the car within the first day. But the grip from the Michelins at these temps has been very good, never a moment when I felt loss of grip.

- The force needed to move the stick in manual mode is a bit more than I'd like, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I also don't like the feel of the lever at the top of the stick (would prefer the top to be round), but I suppose I'll get used to that too.

- Downshifts are always very fast, and upshifts were also fast with a few exceptions. Does seem to depend on how warm the car is, whether sport mode is on, and how aggressively the car is being driven.

- Love the feel of the alcantara wheel. And the stock interior looks good overall. Simple and functional, but not cheap.

- Interesting how the exterior of the car looks big from some vantage points, smaller from others. And the car also simultaneously feels big and small - big with respect to comfort and stability, small with respect to agility and handling.

- Probably scraped the bottom of the splitter a bit coming out of a gas station. But my driveway is fairly steep, and I've had no problems with scraping by going slow and at an angle. I think I made the right call in not getting the front lift.

- Driving 35-38 mph in a 40 mph zone behind a slow car, for miles, sucks. In any car. But be careful with your licenses, 100 on the highway feels like nothing (hypothetically )!
100MPH feels lime nothing, Eff an eh Bubba! You can say that about an S if you never really owned a real sports car. One of the reasons I manual transmissions because you can hear how fast you're driving depending on which gear you are in! It sounds sadistic but I miss my old Ford Focus because of that.

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 03-23-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:08 AM
Racer 54
Advanced

Regarding the wiggle some have mentioned, could the problem be a little too much stock rear brake bias instead of not enough rear downforce when threshold braking from 125+ mph? Could a change to a slightly more aggressive front pad while retaining the stock rears help settle the rear down ? Be careful when testing this theory out, bed your new pads in properly and have plenty of runoff and space around you (meaning no cars or walls). I personally would try this at 80 mph before going any faster, then if it works well creep up at 10 mph increments so there are no surprises. Again, have plenty of space around you and plenty of extra runoff to make corrections if needed!
Btw, I have not been on the track with my "3" yet so I have not experienced the wiggle that some have mentioned.
Has anyone tracking their 991 GT3 tried this yet?
Old 03-25-2015, 10:10 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I haven't had any problems with rear end waggle under heavy braking from up to 140mph.

What is your rear toe set at?
Old 03-25-2015, 10:57 AM
Racer 54
Advanced

Good thought Joe, rear toe would be a good place to start.

Just curious as to what pad setup you have settled on as the trackdays are right around the corner here in the Midwest.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:04 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer 54
Good thought Joe, rear toe would be a good place to start. Just curious as to what pad setup you have settled on as the trackdays are right around the corner here in the Midwest.
I've only used PFC11, but love them. Excellent bite, consistent, no fade, rotors look great, rear pads have virtually no wear, front pads look a bit over 1/2 done after 6 hard track days, almost no noise even on street.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:44 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I have some rear toe in, per factory spec. Need to dig up the exact numbers.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:05 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

Excellent bite, consistent, no fade, rotors look great, rear pads have virtually no wear, front pads look a bit over 1/2 done after 6 hard track days
That would appear to put the excess rear bias to rest for Joe's setup. And I believe Joe has tried several camber/toe combinations.

Quick Reply: Impressions of GT3 (Manifold)