Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressions of GT3 (Manifold)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 06:35 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

very cool. Getting a new Porsche so cool.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:57 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NMM991
I am far from the experience level of Manifold and others on this forum as I have only 2,000 miles of track experience and all of that in my GT3. However, I have had some excellent coaching for most of those miles and my coach emphasizes smoothness on both the throttle and the brake, on and off on both -- maybe it's the PASM or something else, but he feels that the car is more easily upset by abrupt inputs than you would expect from such a capable car.

All cars regardless of capability are susceptible to input. The better the car the more susceptible. Any input that alters trajectory has a shift in weight which is where the shift is. While it can happen quickly, all on or off will mean a rebound of some kind and thus a certain amount of unsealing of the car. Better divers will be able to ramp up control pressure so as weight shifts remains shifted without rebound. This is the biggest challenge to becoming a better more accomplished driver and will be repaid in spades as time ability progresses.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:25 PM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sloopy
All cars regardless of capability are susceptible to input. The better the car the more susceptible. Any input that alters trajectory has a shift in weight which is where the shift is. While it can happen quickly, all on or off will mean a rebound of some kind and thus a certain amount of unsealing of the car. Better divers will be able to ramp up control pressure so as weight shifts remains shifted without rebound. This is the biggest challenge to becoming a better more accomplished driver and will be repaid in spades as time ability progresses.
Thank you - your comments confirm what I believe and what I am practicing every session. Sometimes I get it right, especially without a lot of traffic, and its a great sense of control -- the speed just comes.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:01 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,382 Likes on 2,493 Posts

Just got back from a Chin event at VIR where there were multiple 991 GT3s.

In addition to driving my car with factory alignment and Sport Cup 2, I also drove another one, and rode in one with fellow RLer rm21.

Both of the other two had the Crawford wing and some alignment changes, and rm21 was on Trofeo R.

The one I drove did seem to have a slightly more pinned down rear under hard braking from 150+ mph, due to the wing, without causing understeer (not sure what was done with the front of the car). Didn't like the brake pedal feel, too much travel and softness, less feel than my brakes (Ferodo pads, AP Racing front rotor, SRF). I suspect that the fluid was boiled, but the Pagid (Yellow?) pads might also be a factor. Otherwise, the car felt very similar to mine, and I like the tight Recaro race seat over my LWB. (Have also driven my cousin's 991 GT3, which has the same setup as my car, and it felt identical to mine).

From the right seat, rm21's car also seemed to benefit from the big wing, and, combined with the tires, was dialed in such that it gave me the impression of better handling and more grip than my car. rm21 is miles ahead of me in terms of researching how to improve the car, and I'm becoming convinced that the car can/should be tweaked to make it better for the track, though that requires some real expertise in order to make it better rather than worse. I plan to take my car to TPC Racing to get their proprietary alignment tweak, as well as their side muffler bypass - I was envious of the sound of rm21s car! Will stick with SC2 for now, but riding in some cars on slicks made me wonder ...

rm21 was driving really well. His first time at VIR, learned the track quickly, and by day 2 he blew the doors off a couple other 991 GT3s in the intermediate group and moved to the top group. He needs to instruct!

Last edited by Manifold; 10-27-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:51 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold

In addition to driving my car with factory alignment and Sport Cup 2, I also drove another one, and rode in one with fellow RLer rm21.

Both of the other two had the Crawford wing and some alignment changes, and rm21 was on Trofeo R.

The one I drove did seem to have a slightly more pinned down rear under hard braking from 150+ mph, due to the wing, without causing understeer (not sure what was done with the front of the car). Didn't like the brake pedal feel, too much travel and softness, less feel than my brakes (Ferodo pads, AP Racing front rotor, SRF). I suspect that the fluid was boiled, but the Pagid (Yellow?) pads might also be a factor. Otherwise, the car felt very similar to mine, and I like the tight Recaro race seat over my LWB. (Have also driven my cousin's 991 GT3, which has the same setup as my car, and it felt identical to mine).

From the right seat, rm21's car also seemed to benefit from the big wing, and, combined with the tires, was dialed in such that it gave me the impression of better handling and more grip than my car. rm21 is miles ahead of me in terms of researching how to improve the car, and I'm becoming convinced that the car can/should be tweaked to make it better for the track, though that requires some real expertise in order to make it better rather than worse. I plan to take my car to TPC Racing to get their proprietary alignment tweak, as well as their side muffler bypass - I was envious of the sound of rm21s car! Will stick with SC2 for now, but riding in some cars on slicks made me wonder ...

rm21 was driving really well. His first time at VIR, learned the track quickly, and by day 2 he blew the doors off a couple other 991 GT3s in the intermediate group and moved to the top group. He needs to instruct!
I have been a passanger in rm21's car. He is awesome behind the wheel. Very smooth and fast. Heck of a good guy too!
Old 10-27-2015, 07:57 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lodi
Heck of a good guy too!
Great guy. We had a lot of fun together at VIR.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:14 AM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manifold - Thanks for the kind words. You are an awesome driver and instructor - you made it easy for me to learn the line and advance to red. It was nice to have an expert driver validate the fact that I think my car is finally dialed in. It took a few iterations to get the right setup with the giant wing and cup splitter! When I turned the car into my race shop they also couldn't believe how well the tires were wearing after six track days. I wish you could have felt the car when the tires were new - the grip was even better. I'm starting to become a real believer in the Trofeos, at least for the tracks I drive. I'm going to see if I can squeak out another two days at Barber in several weeks. Hope to see you again soon at VIR, or maybe Road Atlanta.

Last edited by rm21; 10-28-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:14 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts

This thread has such great information. Thanks for sharing your expertise.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

rm21. What alignment setting are you using? Im not sure how they translate for those of us on MPSC2 without the additional aero but keen to learn how you have the suspension set up. having the Cup splitter will help in balancing out the downforce over the front axle I guess. Nice work.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:55 AM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macca
rm21. What alignment setting are you using? Im not sure how they translate for those of us on MPSC2 without the additional aero but keen to learn how you have the suspension set up. having the Cup splitter will help in balancing out the downforce over the front axle I guess. Nice work.
Macca - I work with Goldcrest Motorsports in Atlanta, and like TPC, they consider their setup proprietary. They specifically asked that I not share the details, so I need to respect that. In general, my setup isn't that different from Orthojoe's, except for the fact that I had to add more rake to deal with the bigger wing. I found the car understeered with the factory setup and the wing only made it worse. Any setup is going to involve some compromise, but the car has never felt better. I am getting rubbing on my front driver side wheel well, but that is due to some extreme compression in turn 12 at Road Atlanta. I don't see it elsewhere. Folks with cup cars have experienced that as well, so I've stopped worrying about it.

I can say that I am following what seems to be the consensus on the Trofeo pressures - 29 front and 31 rear seem optimal for my driving. I also just did a Ross Bentley webinar on suspension tuning and learned a nice trick. If you put an air-dryer (basically a desiccant cylinder) inline from your air compressor, you can get the humidity out of your air and it is far easier to regulate pressures. He suggested it is a bit better than using nitrogen. It is a pain, since you need to deflate and inflate your tires 2-3 times, but since I generally don't trailer my car and have access to a big tank of nitrogen, it is a nice poor man's solution.

At this point, I've got a ton of driver improvement left so I'm done with suspension tuning. I'm running consistent 1:34s at Road Atlanta, but my latest split time composites were 1:31.5, so I'm still very inconsistent. I realize you can't take composite times at face value since you can always overcook a braking zone but then kill your entry to the next turn, but 1:31s are close to pro territory so it is a motivating metric!

Would love to find some other folks with Solo DLs on RL to share data feeds. I know you're a bit far away for that! RL has been great for helping me get the car to this point.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rm21
Manifold - Thanks for the kind words. You are an awesome driver and instructor - you made it easy for me to learn the line and advance to red. It was nice to have an expert driver validate the fact that I think my car is finally dialed in. It took a few iterations to get the right setup with the giant wing and cup splitter! When I turned the car into my race shop they also couldn't believe how well the tires were wearing after six track days. I wish you could have felt the car when the tires were new - the grip was even better. I'm starting to become a real believer in the Trofeos, at least for the tracks I drive. I'm going to see if I can squeak out another two days at Barber in several weeks. Hope to see you again soon at VIR, or maybe Road Atlanta.
Dang, I wish I'd met this "expert driver" you refer to, but I'm glad that a hobbyist like me was able to help you learn the line at VIR. There are some things we can tweak to go faster, but as you saw from my little boo boo, the track really needs to be respected (a little tip for when you start instructing: if the driver makes an error and needs to fix it, saying "oh ****!" out loud from the right seat generally doesn't help ).

I don't know how the rubber compounds compare between the Trofeo R and the Sport Cup 2, but the TR seems to have an advantage in apparently using the same rubber across the tread and having less grooves in the tread, though of course that makes the SC2 better and safer in the rain, which is a factor for a car which isn't being trailered. I think my next iteration will be to try the TPC alignment with the SC2, but I'm open to considering the TR in the future. Maybe the TR is the closest approximation to a slick we can get without voiding the warranty. And if the alignment and tire pressures are dialed in, being able to make use of good rubber across the whole tread can help with tire wear and durability.

But you make a good point about the behavior of the car and tires being track dependent. My car likes my home track, Summit Point Main, the least among the several tracks I've been to, and I think the bumpiness at high speeds, especially in braking zones, is a big factor in that. I've wondered if the PASM just can't cope with that. Having done a lot of days with the car at SP, I've adapted by modulating the brakes better, but I've now had two super-experienced CIs drive my car at SP and, near the limit, both found it to be a handful to a surprising extent (whereas you saw that the car was pretty good at VIR). So that further convinces me that it's worth trying the TPC alignment tweak (which I understand to be intended for use with the SC2).

I really like Chin, and will be a doing a bunch of events with them next year, including probably two or three at VIR. Let's definitely plan to run and ride together again. Once you get more seat time at VIR, I may not be able to keep up with you!

LOL on how I got mixed up on the checkouts. How many people could there be who are driving a GT3, initials of RM, in Red at other tracks with Chin, first time at VIR so starting in Blue, and would like to do some sessions at the track before a Red checkout. Well, apparently there were at least two at this event!
Old 10-28-2015, 01:21 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

My car likes my home track, Summit Point Main
I'm going to Summit Point on 11/13 and 11/14 with Metro PCA. Will be my first time there, everyone keeps telling me how fantastic it is. Can't wait. I will be driving my spec boxster.

Jeff
Old 10-28-2015, 01:29 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlanka
I'm going to Summit Point on 11/13 and 11/14 with Metro PCA. Will be my first time there, everyone keeps telling me how fantastic it is. Can't wait. I will be driving my spec boxster.

Jeff
I might be there also. How come you're not bringing your GT3?

It's not a famous track, and the facilities are just ok, but it's a quality lap with a good variety of geometrics and good flow, and I'm still not bored with the track after having done many dozens of days there. The other two tracks at Summit Point (Shenandoah and Jefferson) are also worth checking out.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:38 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I might be there also. How come you're not bringing your GT3?
Since my son and I are both tracking, we decided to buy a 2nd track car and went with a SB. He is away at college so I'm tracking solo. The SB is a ton of fun so I've been using that instead of the GT3. When he tracks with me I will use the GT3 and he will use the SB.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:44 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by rm21
I hate i missed both of you guys this past weekend. I was there on Sunday testing the #38 Next Level European Cayman and the #81 BimmerWorld BMW 328. Since we were testing I didn't get a chance to walk around the paddock that much but I do remember seeing a couple of the GT3s on track. The crawford wing gives them away. If we are ever at the track at the same time again let me know if there is anything I can do to help you guys get up to speed or find more speed in your cars.

Quick Reply: Impressions of GT3 (Manifold)