Notices

Emden to US West Coast @ 2024

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 01:18 PM
kamichael
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I was told by my SA in February about the chip replacement issue that was delaying many of the 911's that had previously finished production and were in transit to North America. He was confident that my 911 GTS, which entered production on 2/20 and finished on 3/3 would not be affected. Am I correct to assume my car that left Emden on the Glovis Companion (3/12) will not need the part retrofit? It looks like those that had this issue were produced prior to February or thereabouts.

Old 03-16-2024, 01:30 PM
kamichael
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

BTW - thank you all on this thread as it helped me to identify which vessel that my car was on:

My TYD account regularly updated me on the progress of my car, with no delay - my timeline was as follows:

12/1/23 Order confirmed - Commission number assigned.
1/28/24 Freeze point reached.
2/11/24 Manufacturing process about to begin.
2/20/24 Manufacturing process started.
3/3/24 Manufacturing process completed.
3/4/24 Car on the way to the German port (Emden).
3/5/24 Car arrived at German port (Emden).
3/12/24 Car left the German port (Emden).
West coast North America delivery (Southern California dealer, San Diego) - Glovis Companion.

The following 2 users liked this post by kamichael:
3uros (03-17-2024), kurquhart (03-17-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 10:01 AM
Marin Vizsla
Instructor

Received 275 Likes on 145 Posts

Week 12 Glovis schedule hot off the press! It looks like they switched format and made it more official looking. I noticed with the new format they’re now combining two weeks (11-12) - makes me wonder if they will only publish bi-weekly now. They also now list the Panama Canal as a stop so you can watch it on the cameras as it sails through - just like how @kurquhart did.

Good news for the southwest region: San Diego has been added as a confirmed stop on April 24th for Jiuyang Blossom. Unfortunately for Manta, it got dropped for SD. The other good news is that no stops have been footnoted as volume situation for Jiuyang and Benicia is still 04/26 thankfully. Fingers crossed we all get on, especially owners of Jan and early Feb builds!!

Jiuyang is currently anchored off Bremerhaven already so I assume it’ll be heading into the port shortly. It’s two days early so let’s hope it also gets to Emden early by Wed-Thurs. I reckon the Big Reveal will be ~Saturday.

Last edited by Marin Vizsla; 03-18-2024 at 01:17 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Marin Vizsla:
3uros (03-18-2024), Earle (03-18-2024), kurquhart (03-19-2024), NAV5 (03-18-2024), zanary (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 01:14 PM
Earle
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 71 Posts

It looks like the Jiuyang Blossom is in the parking box waiting to get into Bremerhaven. I am assuming as soon as dock space frees up they will head into port. I am glad they are early and getting staged for loading. I will be watching this ship closely for the next month and a half!
Old 03-18-2024, 01:34 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 206 Posts

Thanks @Marin Vizsla for bringing some good news this morning....fingers crossed we all make it onto Jiuyang Blossom this week
The following users liked this post:
Earle (03-18-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 01:46 PM
FileTitan
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 3uros
Thanks @Marin Vizsla for bringing some good news this morning....fingers crossed we all make it onto Jiuyang Blossom this week
I am still angry they only loaded 1 out of 2 cars on the 12th. Hopefully my 911 gets on the next run which seems to be on the 23rd. Fingers crossed!!!
Old 03-19-2024, 01:59 PM
freesole
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

TYD just indicated that my car is at Emden. Here's hoping to a successful boarding on the 23rd!
Old 03-19-2024, 03:57 PM
ThrustNormal
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by FileTitan
I am still angry they only loaded 1 out of 2 cars on the 12th. Hopefully my 911 gets on the next run which seems to be on the 23rd. Fingers crossed!!!
Does anyone else suspect that cars with "affected chips" are not being shipped to the US until they are repaired at port Emden while cars with the proper chips can board the ships? Ive notice a pattern of cars being left behind being built with affected chips.
FileTitan (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 04:07 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ThrustNormal
Does anyone else suspect that cars with "affected chips" are not being shipped to the US until they are repaired at port Emden while cars with the proper chips can board the ships? Ive notice a pattern of cars being left behind being built with affected chips.
My car should have the new chip since it was built on February 28th. People here whose cars were built after mine were loaded onto the Glovis Companion so there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how they're loading up these ships.

Last edited by 3uros; 03-19-2024 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:47 PM
Aperture776
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I just picked up my car last Friday with the chip replaced. So far everything looks good.

kurquhart (03-20-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 05:33 PM
Marin Vizsla
Instructor

Anecdotally, it does seem that a good portion of cars that were built in Jan and early Feb did not get loaded onto Cosmos or Companion while latter built cars with the new chips were quickly loaded [ 3uros' seems to be an exception ]. Some latter built cars barely just got to Emden last week and they were already being loaded (!). My own fever dream-wingnut-conspiracy theory? I've read a few postings from owners with impacted cars land in US ports but are now waiting for the component to be shipped to the dealer. Therefore, my guess is that Porsche is intentionally keeping the Jan and early Feb cars in Emden as long as possible to avoid adding more backlog at the US ports / dealers since the replacement component is taking longer to deliver than Porsche expected. Which also implies, and my hidden fear, that Porsche has not replaced the chips for cars that have been sitting in Emden for the past 1 - 2 months. IF they had proactively replaced them while in Emden, there would be no concerns about releasing them last week.

P.S. Jiuyang Blossom is still anchored off Bremerhaven so it might have gotten there too early. Anyway, the good news is that it's already there and once port space opens up, they'll allow it to dock.

Originally Posted by 3uros
My car should have the new chip since it was built on February 28th. People here whose cars were built after mine were loaded onto the Glovis Companion so there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how they're loading up these ships.
FileTitan (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 05:36 PM
Marin Vizsla
Instructor

Congrats on the delivery and no issues so far!

Did your car arrive via the Neptune Barcelona and if so, was the chip replaced by your dealer or while it was waiting in Benicia / San Diego port? Or did you really mean the chip was replaced while your car was in Emden?

Originally Posted by Aperture776
I just picked up my car last Friday with the chip replaced. So far everything looks good.
FileTitan (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 06:01 PM
FileTitan
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Marin Vizsla
Anecdotally, it does seem that a good portion of cars that were built in Jan and early Feb did not get loaded onto Cosmos or Companion while latter built cars with the new chips were quickly loaded [ 3uros' seems to be an exception ]. Some latter built cars barely just got to Emden last week and they were already being loaded (!). My own fever dream-wingnut-conspiracy theory? I've read a few postings from owners with impacted cars land in US ports but are now waiting for the component to be shipped to the dealer. Therefore, my guess is that Porsche is intentionally keeping the Jan and early Feb cars in Emden as long as possible to avoid adding more backlog at the US ports / dealers since the replacement component is taking longer to deliver than Porsche expected. Which also implies, and my hidden fear, that Porsche has not replaced the chips for cars that have been sitting in Emden for the past 1 - 2 months. IF they had proactively replaced them while in Emden, there would be no concerns about releasing them last week.

P.S. Jiuyang Blossom is still anchored off Bremerhaven so it might have gotten there too early. Anyway, the good news is that it's already there and once port space opens up, they'll allow it to dock.
I believe so! my 911 left factory early Jan and is still stuck at port. Wife's Panamera left factory late Feb and made it on the companion.

Can you please keep us posted on the status of the Blossom. I am hoping I make this one.
Marin Vizsla (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 07:34 PM
Aperture776
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Marin Vizsla
Congrats on the delivery and no issues so far!

Did your car arrive via the Neptune Barcelona and if so, was the chip replaced by your dealer or while it was waiting in Benicia / San Diego port? Or did you really mean the chip was replaced while your car was in Emden?
Thanks!

Mine arrived on the Glovis Comet to San Diego in January. It arrived at my dealer on March 8th and the chip was replaced at the dealer on March 13th. Technician said it was a quick replacement underneath the rear seat behind the drivers seat. 2 bolts to access the component and that was it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Aperture776:
3uros (03-19-2024), Marin Vizsla (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 10:00 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

The port of Emden is now scheduling the Blossom to arrive Friday at 11 CET. Oddly, the previous name (Hoegh Bangkok) is listed instead of Jiuyang Blossom. It seems like Hoegh sold the ship late last year and the name was changed to Jiuyang Blossom.
FileTitan (03-20-2024)

Quick Reply: Emden to US West Coast @ 2024