Sponsored by:

Taycan Turbo - EPA rated 201 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 03:09 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by RonF
I believe it's this and a lot of other little things Tesla learned over the years. A couple percent here, a couple percent there they all add up. Porsche/VAG would not becoming the laughing stock if they weren't so arrogantly implying making (good) EV is easy since they have decades of automaking experiences. It's not the same.
Porsche simply built a different type of car for a different target market - its pretty obvious really. The Taycan was never aimed at the "typical" Tesla owner and in most reviews it clearly hit it out of the park. What is also obvious, is the decades of auto experience have paid off. If Porsche wanted to build a "long range" EV - it wouldn't have been a problem for them to do so.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:14 AM
RonF
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Porsche simply built a different type of car for a different target market - its pretty obvious really. The Taycan was never aimed at the "typical" Tesla owner.
I'm trying to decipher your comment but no matter how I could not come up with a favorable interpretation other than arrogance I mentioned in my post.
The following users liked this post:
JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 03:15 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 645 Posts

I'm trying to decipher your comment but no matter how I could not come up with a favorable interpretation other than arrogance I mentioned in my post.
Good work RonF as always - . My comment is very straightforward, I think you'll find most people will understand it.

Porsche strategy is generally to roll buyers up the line up where possible. The primary target will be to get many 911 owners and probably Panamera owners into the Taycan over the next few years. The more mainstream and mass market stuff will be taken care of by VW and Audi.

I very much doubt the EPA numbers will factor in much with Taycan buyers and those that need extended range will probably just use another vehicle.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:53 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I believe it's this and a lot of other little things Tesla learned over the years. A couple percent here, a couple percent there they all add up. Porsche/VAG would not be the laughing stock if they weren't so arrogantly implying making (good) EV is easy since they have decades of automaking experiences. It's not the same.
... Porsche’s CEO has gone out of his way to respect Tesla, publicly and repeatedly. Your visceral and malign inferences here seem undeserved. Porsche is rightly confident in their ability to make great cars. By all reports the taycan drives like a Porsche with 911 steering and incredible handling, especially for a car that weighs as much as a panamera.

the epa range report is embarrassing, but no serious people think this is a laughing stock. A few Tesla fanatics, sure. Who were all laughing so hard at crappy Porsche they had to fly a prototype to Germany and build a supercharger in a couple days so they could pump out some completely bogus Ring time and disrupt all of the Taycan press. Elon doesn’t take the taycan seriously at all, no sir. Which they had to do because the current production model S can’t even finish a lap.

now there’s a laugh.

if you want laughing stock try Toyota (hydrogen, ha ha ha ha) or BMW (how long will this ceo last, ha ha ha) or GM (we’re totally working on EVs and will stop Tesla from doing to our business what it’s done to BMW, but first our 2020 trucks and SUVs are EVEN Bigger). Most of this industry is toast. Dieselgate is probably the best thing that ever happen to VW.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:41 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I have to agree with @Whoopsy here, even though I was admittedly a doubter initially.

I just spent an afternoon at my local Porsche dealer with nothing related to the Taycan, or really the purchase of any Porsche -- either anEV, ICE, or some combo of both.

Spoke with both the SGM and the GM and both said unequivocally that none of their Taycan customers have pulled deposits since the (1) the price came out or (2) when the EPA numbers came out yesterday. They also informed me that none of their customers, with a few exceptions (less than maybe 10) were worried about total range when making their initial deposits. The most common questions were, in no particular order, (i) can I do ED with the Taycan; (ii) are there federal / state rebates; (iii) can I use the HOV lanes while driving alone; (iv) do I have to pay for charging at Porsche charging network; (v) is PTS available; (vi) how fast is 0-60 and can it beat the Model S in ludicrous mode; (vii) what's the 'Ring time.

Seems like the typical Taycan customer cares more about the badging than the car's utilitarian, uhm, utility.

I have no skin in the game, and they (the SGM and GM) had no skin in the game to sell me a Taycan (or really any car).

Just passing along info.

You are not incorrect in that assessment.

Porsche doesn't do things half heartedly. When they do a product, they know beforehand what their target audience wants. From the beginning, they knew their buyers aren't too concern about range, good enough is good enough. They buyers will be more concerned about the performance of the car, doesn't matter if the buyer will attained those performance or not either. In that regards, Porsche hit a home run with the Taycan already. Fastest 4 door sedan on the Ring, and best handling EV. The order book reflects that. They had to increase production of the Taycan from their initial estimates is the proof.

Porsche was never gunning for the Tesla in the mainstream EV market, they were going for the top, the luxury EV segment, one step up from even the Model S, which is in the premium/near luxury segment.

This opinion/stand isn't arrogant, but reality. The Tesla fan boys might disagree as they desperately wanted to measure up to Porsche, wanting to say they are better than Porsche, but the same feelings isn't from Porsche. Tesla is a mass market premium brand, competing against Lexus, Acura and Infiniti, not Porsche. It's just like Rolls Royce doesn't compare their products with say Cadillac. Or Ferrari doesn't consider a GT-R a competitor either.

Old 12-14-2019, 04:45 AM
SFsoundguy
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
To the Porsche owners in this thread - have any of you purchased a Porsche sports car on the basis of its EPA rating?
Answer = No one mainly because they all do about 350 a fill....and fill up in 2 minutes. Really? The real question is how many Porsche owners have lived a year with an EV.
JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 04:45 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

I believe it's this and a lot of other little things Tesla learned over the years. A couple percent here, a couple percent there they all add up. Porsche/VAG would not be the laughing stock if they weren't so arrogantly implying making (good) EV is easy since they have decades of automaking experiences. It's not the same.
Oh look who is back. You were strangely absent for like 3 weeks after I called you out on calling my buff on mentioning Elon borrowing heavily against his stock holdings, which he admit in court under oath.

Your boss grounded you on public forums?

Old 12-14-2019, 04:46 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SFsoundguy
No one mainly because they all do about 350 a fill....and fill up in 2 minutes. Really? The real question is how many Porsche owners have lived a year with an EV.

Me!!!!

but not quite a year, more like 4+ months.
SFsoundguy (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 04:52 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manitou202
Dude, that's because you have like ten cars. Why would you care about the range of one of your ten vehicles?

If Porsche is planning on selling the Taycan to the 0.01%, then yes, it's just a flashy toy and who cares about range. But if they are trying to attract someone who makes $300k - $500k a year, drives two moderately expensive cars (one being the Taycan) and wants the use the car on road trips, they missed the boat. This car is no Panamera or Model S competitor in terms of luxury and EV practicality. I sold my GT3 and bought my Panamera to have a family car that was sporty, fun to drive, and could haul three kids in a road trip into the mountains. I was hoping Taycan could do the same. My wife's Model X is capable of that. But the Taycan looks to fall short. If I'm going to go back to some toy for around town without the kids, I'm getting another GT3.

Actually 11 only, but who's counting.

But most of them I don't actually drive.

Daily I used the e-Tron for school runs, or the occasionally mall shopping or maybe going to the bank.

Weekends I mostly on either the Exclusive or the Panamera.

Golfing mostly the Panamera or the e-Tron. Same with long road trips, which I also do in the Exclusive.

For the occasional Home Depot/Ikea runs I take the pickup. Or if I want to be in town incognito.

Summer time I actually take the Abath 124 a lot, top down. But I had to share that car with my son. He split times in that or his Golf R.

Really I only drive 3 cars most of the time. Comparable to a 3 car household.

Edit: Actually 12. Forgot to count my race car.

Old 12-14-2019, 04:56 AM
SFsoundguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Whoopsy

Porsche doesn't do things half heartedly. When they do a product, they know beforehand what their target audience wants. From the beginning, they knew their buyers aren't too concern about range, good enough is good enough. They buyers will be more concerned about the performance of the car, doesn't matter if the buyer will attained those performance or not either. In that regards, Porsche hit a home run with the Taycan already. Fastest 4 door sedan on the Ring, and best handling EV. The order book reflects that. They had to increase production of the Taycan from their initial estimates is the proof.

Porsche was never gunning for the Tesla in the mainstream EV market, they were going for the top, the luxury EV segment, one step up from even the Model S, which is in the premium/near luxury segment.

This opinion/stand isn't arrogant, but reality. The Tesla fan boys might disagree as they desperately wanted to measure up to Porsche, wanting to say they are better than Porsche, but the same feelings isn't from Porsche. Tesla is a mass market premium brand, competing against Lexus, Acura and Infiniti, not Porsche. It's just like Rolls Royce doesn't compare their products with say Cadillac. Or Ferrari doesn't consider a GT-R a competitor either.

I don’t know what you’re smoking but I’d love a toke, what are you talking about Tesla is not a mass premium brand.... even Ferrari just announced as of 2025 the will be EV only!
have you or do you own an EV a non Tesla like I do? 201 is a miss plain and simple Porsche knew better and still pushed through a smile disappears rather fast when your sitting in a 2 ton paperweight 🙂

UPDATE: I see you have an eTron so Plus for that but you also have other gas cars so you are never limited
Old 12-14-2019, 04:58 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy

BMW and previous hybrid or EV owners. Non-M division bmws are disappearing from Northern California with astounding speed. I don’t know anyone planning to buy another 3 series. Ever.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...evolution.html

Old 12-14-2019, 05:15 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SFsoundguy
I don’t know what you’re smoking but I’d love to toke, what are you talking about Tesla is not a mass premium brand.... even Ferrari just announced as of 2025 the will be EV only!
have you or do you own an EV a non Tesla like I do? 201 is a miss plain and simple Porsche knew better and still pushed through a smile disappears rather fast when your sitting in a 2 ton paperweight 🙂

UPDATE: I see you have an eTron so Plus for that but you also have other gas cars so you are never limited
Tesla is not and never will be a high end premium brand. They currently make no super cars, and Elon has described their one planned super car as irrelevant to their business and scheduled behind numerous more important products. They aim to make 1M+ cars a year, and their build quality is atrocious. Their corporate goal is to facilitate the electrification of the industry. They will never seriously compete with Ferrari. They will try to keep Porsche from siphoning off their most profitable S and X customers, but they are incapable of offering high end premium customization. Their interior design aesthetic is minimalism, which is a good look, but also a necessity because they can’t mass produce vehicles any other way. Anything they could do to compete with Ferrari and Porsche would be a diversion from the critical model 3 and Y lines. If either of these fails, they go bankrupt. Those are their core products, which are mass market cars.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:20 AM
SFsoundguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
Tesla is not and never will be a high end premium brand. They currently make no super cars, and Elon has described their one planned super car as irrelevant to their business and scheduled behind numerous more important products. They aim to make 1M+ cars a year, and their build quality is atrocious. Their corporate goal is to facilitate the electrification of the industry. They will never seriously compete with Ferrari. They will try to keep Porsche from siphoning off their most profitable S and X customers, but they are incapable of offering high end premium customization. Their interior design aesthetic is minimalism, which is a good look, but also a necessity because they can’t mass produce vehicles any other way. Anything they could do to compete with Ferrari and Porsche would be a diversion from the critical model 3 and Y lines. If either of these fails, they go bankrupt. Those are their core products, which are mass market cars.

Exactly. Maybe you missed the part where I said I don’t own a Tesla....Anymore
JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 05:20 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

If it makes you feel any better, Ferrari is a merchandise licensing outfit and Porsche an SUV manufacturer with a profitable sports car side business.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
JB43 (12-23-2019), Noah Fect (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 05:45 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
If it makes you feel any better, Ferrari is a merchandise licensing outfit and Porsche an SUV manufacturer with a profitable sports car side business.

Profitable SUV maker, with a side of sports cars that also makes money

Quick Reply: Taycan Turbo - EPA rated 201 miles