Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyders in the Wild...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 02:33 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Very nice!
Old 06-28-2018, 04:46 AM
Boxster7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Bowering
Thank you for your reply, I will post some photos soon and the specification of the car etc. As for my impression of the car I love it, I had a 2014 Boxster GTS before and thought is it worth spending all this money and changing for a similar car? The answer is a big YES, I love it though our road laws make it hard to have too much fun. I live on Phillip Island and we have the Australian Moto GP race track so I will have to do a track day as soon as the weather improves.
Welcome aboard Robert, your car looks very special.
A really nice upgrade from your GTS.

Had mine out on track on Tuesday.
An amateur photographer who was there kindly sent me through some pics....

Don’t these cars look cool from any angle !!
Old 06-28-2018, 01:52 PM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxster7

Welcome aboard Robert, your car looks very special.
A really nice upgrade from your GTS.

Had mine out on track on Tuesday.
An amateur photographer who was there kindly sent me through some pics....

Don’t these cars look cool from any angle !!
I thought the rear spoiler only raised that high over 110 mph (otherwise it only raises halfway between 75-109 MPH). Were you really going that fast in the above pictures? Or did you have the spoiler raised in the service position or using some other kind of manual override? or does the spoiler button work differently in other world markets?
Old 06-28-2018, 02:49 PM
Boxster7
Instructor

Originally Posted by gearFX
I thought the rear spoiler only raised that high over 110 mph (otherwise it only raises halfway between 75-109 MPH). Were you really going that fast in the above pictures? Or did you have the spoiler raised in the service position or using some other kind of manual override? or does the spoiler button work differently in other world markets?
Not too sure how it works here in the UK, but it was in auto mode.
At that place on the track I would have doing somewhere between 95/110 I reckon.
I would have been over 110mph on 3 of the straight bits of the track, so maybe you need to reduce speed below 75 to get it to drop back down ??

I was too busy looking forward.......
Old 06-28-2018, 09:08 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmmmm, that red Spyder on track appears to be rolling moreso than I would have thought would be the case. Interesting. Maybe non-stock stickier rubber?
Old 06-29-2018, 04:02 AM
Boxster7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blu RS
Hmmmmm, that red Spyder on track appears to be rolling moreso than I would have thought would be the case. Interesting. Maybe non-stock stickier rubber?
No, absolute stock.... these cars are so good out of the box :-)
Old 06-29-2018, 12:36 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I second that comment. It does look like quite a bit of roll but it's probably normal. I wonder probably cause it looks like there's a passenger in there OR the driver must have been carrying some SERIOUS speed!!!! Or the photographer just caught the car at the right moment!

Car looks great. I looked through some of the shots of my car at Road Atlanta and I couldn't find any where there was so much roll. Hmm interesting!
Old 06-29-2018, 12:43 PM
Boxster7
Instructor

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
I second that comment. It does look like quite a bit of roll but it's probably normal. I wonder probably cause it looks like there's a passenger in there OR the driver must have been carrying some SERIOUS speed!!!! Or the photographer just caught the car at the right moment!

Car looks great. I looked through some of the shots of my car at Road Atlanta and I couldn't find any where there was so much roll. Hmm interesting!
This picture is taken on the exit of the fastest bend on the circuit. The bend leads onto the pit straight which is the quickest part of the track.
With a good exit speed, the Spyder was good for 135mph before arriving at the breaking point.
I guess this is why the photographer set himself up at this point !!!
I was driving with a few different passengers and this fella was the most substantial......... ;-)
Old 06-29-2018, 01:20 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Originally Posted by Boxster7
This picture is taken on the exit of the fastest bend on the circuit. The bend leads onto the pit straight which is the quickest part of the track.
With a good exit speed, the Spyder was good for 135mph before arriving at the breaking point.
I guess this is why the photographer set himself up at this point !!!
I was driving with a few different passengers and this fella was the most substantial......... ;-)
Hah that last sentence got a decent chuckle out of me!! I always love seeing Spyders at the track. In my 4 track days I have done with my Spyder I have yet to see another Spyder though. I only saw one GT4. I did see a couple of GT3s. Shame if you ask me if these cars are not taken to the track so I applaud you as a fellow Spyder owner!
Old 06-29-2018, 01:31 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Hah that last sentence got a decent chuckle out of me!! I always love seeing Spyders at the track. In my 4 track days I have done with my Spyder I have yet to see another Spyder though. I only saw one GT4. I did see a couple of GT3s. Shame if you ask me if these cars are not taken to the track so I applaud you as a fellow Spyder owner!
If you don’t have amazing backroads nearby I would agree it would be a shame not to take the Spyder on the track as they really shine when being pushed through a corner. With great backroads nearby I have absolutely no desire to get on the track with my Spyder.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:24 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

If you don’t have amazing backroads nearby I would agree it would be a shame not to take the Spyder on the track as they really shine when being pushed through a corner. With great backroads nearby I have absolutely no desire to get on the track with my Spyder.
Being from Cali originally I agree with you - but to a certain extent. We have amazing roads near where I live in Georgia as well but there's the simple matter of having the safety of a track to push to your and your car's limit which holds a massive appeal for me. I can't do that on the public roads unfortunately no matter how awesome they are. I fear for my safety, my car's safety, traffic, road hazards, wild animals etc not to mention the most important - other fellow drivers!! Luckily here in the twisties when people see a sports car they know EXACTLY why they are there lol and they get out of the way and are courteous and they don't yell or cuss or call the cops. But a track day where you can brake as hard as you can till you just about start triggering the ABS, or slide on corner entry and exit - can't do that on public roads - well one can but I don't have that skill or ***** lols. So I track! And yeah doing 140 mph in the Spyder is quite an experience at Road Atlanta no amount of backroads can match that for me!
Old 06-29-2018, 03:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

But a track day where you can brake as hard as you can till you just about start triggering the ABS, or slide on corner entry and exit - can't do that on public roads - well one can but I don't have that skill or ***** lols. So I track! And yeah doing 140 mph in the Spyder is quite an experience at Road Atlanta no amount of backroads can match that for me!
Hard to argue those points!
Old 06-29-2018, 09:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

Except for those pesky little fellers with blue lights on the tops of their cars...
Old 06-29-2018, 09:35 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Except for those pesky little fellers with blue lights on the tops of their cars...
That is something that has genuinely surprised me about the areas we drive, they are rarely if ever patrolled for speeding. Reckless drivers OTOH do get ticketed, usually because they’ve lost control of their vehicle (typically motorcycles) and have caused some type of accident. I recall a recent run when one of the guys got pulled over for expired plates before we reached our destination canyon roads. Officer gave the driver a warning and told him “have fun on the mountains!”

On our last run as we were carving up the mountain we turned the corner with two fire trucks literally right around the bend making a u turn. We came to a quick stop about 30 ft away (yes we pay attention and had to slam the brakes). Once the trucks made the u turn we followed for about 1/2 mile and when the trucks reached the first turnout they both moved over to let us pass.

They all know why we are there and they don’t mind having us there. We respect the area and we have found the residents are inviting and always glad to have us. I can an only hope it stays that way for my lifetime!
Old 06-30-2018, 05:17 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

As they say, ya never have a problem, until you do. The problem with doing anything remotely track like on the streets isn’t just speeding tickets. It’s the uncontrolled environment. Bikes, deer, road debris, etc., and the fact that the other drivers sharing the road with you didn’t sign the waiver accepting track day risk. And if you’re truly ripping it up in the canyons, it means you’re also overdriving your sight lines. If you’re not, then you’re not really ripping it up.

Quick Reply: Spyders in the Wild...