Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder value

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 03:15 PM
cetro
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HAHA....I agree
Old 11-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
You can't go wrong either way. This is no such thing as a bad color on the spyder... just bad seats...
That is the truth!
Old 11-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
You can't go wrong either way. This is no such thing as a bad color on the spyder... just bad seats...
So true.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:20 PM
cetro
Rennlist Member

$68k is there bottom price. What you guys think?
Old 11-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Seems a little high to me. I guess it depends on how long they have had the car for, how much they paid for it and if they have other buyers lined up. Any idea?
Old 11-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cetro
$68k is there bottom price. What you guys think?
Don't let ~$1000 keep you from driving this car. If it is the color you want, buy it.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 PM
cetro
Rennlist Member

They got the car around 2 weeks ago. They said they paid premium for it, so they don't have much room in lowering the price.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cetro
They got the car around 2 weeks ago. They said they paid premium for it, so they don't have much room in lowering the price.
Dealers never pay a premium.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Plavan
Dealers never pay a premium.
True but maybe they paid more than their usual rock bottom and call it a premium.

But seriously, the Spyder's value is holding strong not only at retail but also in various listings such as KBB. I just refinanced my car loan to take advantage of reduced rates and the bank valued the car higher than I expected, it was off by about 5% from what I paid for it. Not bad for an 18 month old car with 6k miles.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

All I know, is that when I bought my Spyder used with 317 miles in Oct 2010- I STOLE it compared to what they are selling for now. I saved $10k off the MSRP. Best buy I have ever made. I would of easily paid "Today" prices- the car is that good.

Thanks,
J. Chad Plavan

911ST Race Car/2.5L SS Race Motor
1972 911T- Numbers matching- Restoring to stock
2011 Porsche Spyder Wht/Blk Full Leather/Carbon Fiber Buckets/6MT
Old 11-01-2012, 08:50 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I hear everyone's points, but $68,000 does seem high based on what I remember of OP's specs and mileage. Maybe I need to re-read them?

I paid $60,500 a few months ago with similar specs (plus bi-xenons), but I got lucky with a private seller. It came with several mods as well (OEM's included). At the time when I was searching daily, there were similar Spyders in $65,000 range (price negotiable) and even a couple that were slightly less than $60,000 (but higher mileage).

There was more than 1 dealer car that had 1,000 miles and $70,000 price tag. So... $68,000 seems high for this particular car. However, many dealers who know Spyders want premium since most sell very quickly. There was even a Spyder at Paul Miller Porsche where someone flew in and drove it down to FL BEFORE the dealer had even received the title in the mail... it basically sold right after they advertised it.

OP, you'll have to decide how much you want to pay, how long you can wait it out, and how important certain options are. Good luck.

EDIT: OK, Spyder you're looking at has more options than mine, so that'll affect the price to a certain extent. BTW, Afshin, your Basalt Black is Beautiful.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:16 PM
cetro
Rennlist Member

Vetman, how many miles on yours and what color did you get? I'm torn right now. Should I wait and see if they come down, but what if I can't find one with all the options I want.

Both these cars are CPO.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:09 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine is Carrara White. Had 7,400 miles when I first put deposit down. 8,300 miles on pick-up. There was a long wait for the title.

Different Spyders pop up periodically. If you're eager to buy one - as I was near the end - the waiting and searching can be painful..
Old 11-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Tapeworm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up my Spyder two weeks ago, it was a 2012 with 6,600 miles and I paid just under $62,500 - but added $2,000 to get it CPO'ed. It has the 'bad seats', but these were exactly what I was looking for. I didn't want to own a car I will never drive with the roof on that didn't have heated seats. I also have kids, who I want to be able to occasionally put in a car seat. I think the sport bucket seats are a bargain and was tempted to buy a car with them just to resell the seats, but in the end, having proper heated seats and keeping it stock was important. The only option I would not go with was the PDK, it's extra weight you can't ever remove and I wanted the driver involvement.

Now as soon as I put a Lithium battery in the front, I will make up for the extra weight of the comfy, heated seats....
Old 11-02-2012, 12:40 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Tapeworm
I just picked up my Spyder two weeks ago, it was a 2012 with 6,600 miles and I paid just under $62,500 - but added $2,000 to get it CPO'ed. It has the 'bad seats', but these were exactly what I was looking for. I didn't want to own a car I will never drive with the roof on that didn't have heated seats. I also have kids, who I want to be able to occasionally put in a car seat. I think the sport bucket seats are a bargain and was tempted to buy a car with them just to resell the seats, but in the end, having proper heated seats and keeping it stock was important. The only option I would not go with was the PDK, it's extra weight you can't ever remove and I wanted the driver involvement.

Now as soon as I put a Lithium battery in the front, I will make up for the extra weight of the comfy, heated seats....
It's no secret I hate the sport heated seats. I can counter your arguments for them:

1) I've got kids. These seats will work with the sport buckets and are actually safer/better than most boosters out there (of course, they come in black AFTER I bought the ugly purple one):

2) Heated seats are nice, but aftermarket seat heater elements can be added to the easily removable seat cushions in the sport buckets. They are easily uninstalled if you ever desired the car to be totally stock. Your lithium battery will no longer make the car 'stock' anyway... right? If you can't swallow adding seat heaters, then I would argue that the look/feel/weight loss of the seats far outweigh the benefits of heated seats, and that the car does have a heater you can aim at yourself.

The only legit argument for the sport seats over the buckets is that you physically have difficulty getting in/out of them.... IMO.

Quick Reply: Spyder value