Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Boxster S Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:45 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Definitely an error; I have all 3 on my Spyder.

Bluetooth = $695
Floor Mats = $90
Universal Audio Interface = $95
Old 02-17-2010, 12:46 AM
WAY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman
This is the OFFICIAL differences directly from Porsche

Key Changes over 2010 Boxster S:

Engine
320 hp (up from 310)
273 lb-ft (up from 266)

Transmission
6 Speed Manual standard, PDK optional
Mechanically Locking Differential as standard

Chassis
Lower, stiffer chassis
Revised camber settings, front and rear
19" lightweight wheels
Wider front wheels with lower tire pressures at both axles

Exterior
Revised front fascia, new front running lights
New rear hood with aerodynamic convex curves
New, fixed rear spoiler
New two-piece manual top
Porsche logo on side in contrast color
Twin tailpipes painted black

Interior
GT3RS inspired door panels with fabric pull and no storage pockets
Sport bucket seats with Alcantara centers
Boxster Spyder aplique on trim strip (only w/o cupholders)
Rear center console in exterior color
Gauge faces in black
Hood over gauges deleted (like RS 60 Spyder)
Gear shift pattern in red (MT only)
Windstop as standard
Cupholders as no-cost option

Electronics/Convenience
CDR 30 as a no-cost option
Cupholders as a no-cost option
Air conditioning as an I option

Exterior Colors
Standard colors: Carrara White, Guards Red, Black
Metallic colors: Arctic Silver Metallic, Aqua Blue Metallic, Basalt Black Metallic
Special color: Cream White
Manual Top in Black Only

Interior Colors
Black as standard
Full Leather: Black, Sand beige
Natural Leather: Carrera Red

Pricing
MSRP = $61,200

Key Features to Highlight
-Technical/Mechanical: More power, revised chassis, lower weight
-Styling: New manual top, new rear lid design, new front end design, new wheels
-Electronics: Full complement of options analogous to Boxster S, with the exception of Bose,
which is not offered.
Doesn't quite tell you everything in the detail level I was after. For example the aluminium doors and panels, the -20mm suspension with 10% stiffer spring rate at the front and 30% stiffer rear rate, thicker sway bars etc etc. I am sure I read about the different steering rack, but not sure if that is just journalist sprouting crap or if that is real. Also, I am curious as to the real difference between between the Cayman S and Boxster S engine. Is the Boxster S even DI? I think they have different pistons as well etc...
Old 02-17-2010, 01:37 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by WAY
Doesn't quite tell you everything in the detail level I was after. For example the aluminium doors and panels, the -20mm suspension with 10% stiffer spring rate at the front and 30% stiffer rear rate, thicker sway bars etc etc. I am sure I read about the different steering rack, but not sure if that is just journalist sprouting crap or if that is real. Also, I am curious as to the real difference between between the Cayman S and Boxster S engine. Is the Boxster S even DI? I think they have different pistons as well etc...
Is this better:

Announcing the Boxster Spyder
The Boxster Spyder is a study of sportscar essentials, with three main foci; 1) Intensive Driving Experience, 2) Intelligent Performance, and 3)First-class Design Quality. First, the Boxster Spyder promises an unequaled driving experience. Rather than having creature comforts such as air conditioning and radio as standard, the Spyder comes with a locking differential, a stiffer, 20mm lower chassis, and sport bucket seats. Second, the balance of slightly increased horsepower and reduced weight improves performance not only in acceleration, but also in cornering and braking. At the same time, lower weight should improve fuel economy. Third, the new design, from the minimalist two-piece manual top to the new rear decklid with fixed spoiler, tie the car to its Boxster roots but clearly differentiate it as a purist driving car.

Engine and Drivetrain
The Boxster Spyder powerplant comes from the Cayman S, with 320hp and 273 lb-ft of torque, making the Boxster Spyder the most powerful Boxster ever. The standard transmission is a six-speed manual, while the PDK is optional. Finally, the mechanically locking rear differential is fitted as standard.

Exterior Styling
The new design features are nothing short of stunning. At the front of the vehicle is an all new front fascia incorporating new LED positioning lights. The air intakes are finished in Titanium, and a larger black spoiler balances the aerodynamic package while reinforcing the Spyder's sporty intentions. From the side, you can see the new Boxster Spyder 19" wheel, equipped as standard, along with the Porsche logo, new side air intakes, and a new top design. From the rear, the most significant design feature is the twin convex curved decklid. Inspired by the Carrera GT, this aluminum decklid not only differentiates the car, but also improves aerodynamics and in-cabin wind management by reducing buffeting. The rear fascia is the same as that of the Boxster S, while the twin tailpipes are finished in black paint. By far the most significant design change from the Boxster S, however, is the two-piece manual top. The entire top weighs approxmiately 13lbs, for a weight savings of 46lbs over the standard electric top. Since the Boxster Spyder was designed primarily for top-down motoring, drivers should expect some differences from the standard power top. First, maximum speed is limited to approximately 125mph with the top up. Second, while the top will keep occupants dry in the rain at speeds up to approximately 100, it is not suitable for automatic car washes. Finally, the top can be opened or closed by 1 person, but the process will take a few minutes.

Chassis
The chassis of the Boxster Spyder is even more sport minded than that of the Boxster S. Most noticably from outside the car the ride height has been lowered by 20mm, for an aggressive stance and a lower center of gravity. In addition, the springs and dampers are more stiff, and the anti roll bars are beefier. Finally, the alignment setup calls for more negative camber on the front and rear axles, and the tire pressure is specified slightly lower to increase grip and damping characteristics of the tires. Given that this chassis is singly focused on athletic driving, PASM is not offered.

Optional Equipment
Given the single-minded focus of the vehicle, some standard creature comforts have been deleted. CDR 30 is offered as a no-cost option, as are cupholders and sport seats. Air conditioning is available as a regular I option. Other key options to consider when ordering your vehicles are Sport Chrono (639/640)--an absolute must for all PDK cars, Short Shift Kit (XCZ), Sport Exhaust (XLF), and finally, the Sport Steering Wheel with Paddle Shifters (840)--another absolute must for all PDK cars.

Pricing and Availability
The Boxster Spyder will be available from February, 2010 with a base price of $61,200.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:16 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Noticed something new on the configurator. The steering wheel is now all black versus the Black/Silver previously. Not sure if its a change or a mistake.
Now:

Previous:

All the other models (Boxster/Cayman) stayed the Black/Silver... maybe this is a new change?
Old 02-17-2010, 11:16 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I see the Spyder carries 3 1/2 gallons less fuel than a std. Boxster.

That's one more item that hurts it's every day practicality.

But I guess if you want practical you wouldn't be looking at the Spyder anyway, right?

Phil
Old 02-18-2010, 04:58 AM
00r101
Racer

Well, at 25mpg highway it will still go 350 miles between fillups which is more than many other cars. At 20mpg in town it will go 280 miles. Not too bad.

If they made this car without the humps and with the normal roof and AC I would order it in a heartbeat. Or with the humps and a hardtop.

But what I am really waiting for them to do the lightweight treatment on a base Cayman. Maybe put DFI in the 2.9L motor for 280hp. Lower it 30mm on 18" lightweight wide rims (19" are just additional rotating mass). Aluminium door panels. GT3 door pulls. Lexan rear window. Sport buckets. PCCB brakes standard. Fixed rear spoiler. No radio. AC standard. LSD standard. Small gas tank. Target weight 2780lbs. Target price $60K
Old 02-18-2010, 09:32 AM
WAY
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cayman
Is this better:

Announcing the Boxster Spyder
The Boxster Spyder is a study of sportscar essentials, with three main foci; 1) Intensive Driving Experience, 2) Intelligent Performance, and 3)First-class Design Quality. First, the Boxster Spyder promises an unequaled driving experience. Rather than having creature comforts such as air conditioning and radio as standard, the Spyder comes with a locking differential, a stiffer, 20mm lower chassis, and sport bucket seats. Second, the balance of slightly increased horsepower and reduced weight improves performance not only in acceleration, but also in cornering and braking. At the same time, lower weight should improve fuel economy. Third, the new design, from the minimalist two-piece manual top to the new rear decklid with fixed spoiler, tie the car to its Boxster roots but clearly differentiate it as a purist driving car.

Engine and Drivetrain
The Boxster Spyder powerplant comes from the Cayman S, with 320hp and 273 lb-ft of torque, making the Boxster Spyder the most powerful Boxster ever. The standard transmission is a six-speed manual, while the PDK is optional. Finally, the mechanically locking rear differential is fitted as standard.

Exterior Styling
The new design features are nothing short of stunning. At the front of the vehicle is an all new front fascia incorporating new LED positioning lights. The air intakes are finished in Titanium, and a larger black spoiler balances the aerodynamic package while reinforcing the Spyder's sporty intentions. From the side, you can see the new Boxster Spyder 19" wheel, equipped as standard, along with the Porsche logo, new side air intakes, and a new top design. From the rear, the most significant design feature is the twin convex curved decklid. Inspired by the Carrera GT, this aluminum decklid not only differentiates the car, but also improves aerodynamics and in-cabin wind management by reducing buffeting. The rear fascia is the same as that of the Boxster S, while the twin tailpipes are finished in black paint. By far the most significant design change from the Boxster S, however, is the two-piece manual top. The entire top weighs approxmiately 13lbs, for a weight savings of 46lbs over the standard electric top. Since the Boxster Spyder was designed primarily for top-down motoring, drivers should expect some differences from the standard power top. First, maximum speed is limited to approximately 125mph with the top up. Second, while the top will keep occupants dry in the rain at speeds up to approximately 100, it is not suitable for automatic car washes. Finally, the top can be opened or closed by 1 person, but the process will take a few minutes.

Chassis
The chassis of the Boxster Spyder is even more sport minded than that of the Boxster S. Most noticably from outside the car the ride height has been lowered by 20mm, for an aggressive stance and a lower center of gravity. In addition, the springs and dampers are more stiff, and the anti roll bars are beefier. Finally, the alignment setup calls for more negative camber on the front and rear axles, and the tire pressure is specified slightly lower to increase grip and damping characteristics of the tires. Given that this chassis is singly focused on athletic driving, PASM is not offered.

Optional Equipment
Given the single-minded focus of the vehicle, some standard creature comforts have been deleted. CDR 30 is offered as a no-cost option, as are cupholders and sport seats. Air conditioning is available as a regular I option. Other key options to consider when ordering your vehicles are Sport Chrono (639/640)--an absolute must for all PDK cars, Short Shift Kit (XCZ), Sport Exhaust (XLF), and finally, the Sport Steering Wheel with Paddle Shifters (840)--another absolute must for all PDK cars.

Pricing and Availability
The Boxster Spyder will be available from February, 2010 with a base price of $61,200.
You're the man! This is exactly what is needed. Only other thing they don't have is the spring/shock rates.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:23 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder - Short Take Road Test - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

Old 02-19-2010, 12:45 AM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Nice. Very nice.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:43 AM
WAY
Instructor

It's amazing how a few little changes has made the Spyder look so much more musculine and beautiful compared to the Boxster S!
Old 02-19-2010, 10:56 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That review is quoting thier test results as 0-60 in 4.3 seconds.

Holy crap. That is the 6 speed, PDK is supposed to be even quicker!

"Add 10 horsepower and 7 pound-feet of extra torque (identical to the output of the Cayman S), and you have a 4.3-seconds-to-60 (possibly quicker with the optional PDK transmission)..."

Dayummmm...
Attached Images   
Old 02-19-2010, 03:29 PM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We are very excited to get ours... Even more excited to put a turbo on it
Old 02-20-2010, 01:00 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Ok... A few more updates.

So it looks like the solid black steering wheel is a running change, thus the change on the configurator. Not sure when the change over is as first cars delivered are with Silver. Currently at the moment only the Spyder has the solid black.

Here is a few iPhone pics from a showroom in the UK:

Old 02-20-2010, 06:42 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

way, go for the aircon/radio/pcm delete. 20kgs right there.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Hapich
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Great looking vehicle!! I like the no nonsense rag top. Modern with a retro edge. I look forward to spotting one on the road.

Quick Reply: Boxster S Spyder