Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Cayman R drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 09:45 PM
Patek
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

WOW.... DANG.... is the drone wicked bad or just about 2.5 hours....... sounds really great. Do you have any a full rev.

Thanks,
John

Old 04-02-2023, 09:24 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,099 Likes on 2,119 Posts

We got out for a spring drive yesterday morning. Stood outside for the cold start and with the FVD exhaust it's absolutely incredible, you'd think we were at a DE (drivers ed) event at a track. As we're driving down the road, I rest my arm on the armrest on the door and am wondering why it feels stiffer than my GT3. I then remember, GT3RS door cards. It's these special features that really make the entire package come together. As the car warms up we increase the revs a bit and the amazing FVD exhaust really comes alive. You get natural crackles out of the exhaust. I say natural because if you've heard some of the modern BMW's or Mercedes (or many other brands) that have aftermarket bubble tunes, you'll really come to appreciate what natural crackles sound like. As we're driving, we both commented on the size of the car, it's perfect. The interior, perfect. The speed, perfect. Not sure about you, but where we drive, speed limits on backroads are 45-55mph. I really don't want to have to go 85mph in order to get any sensation of speed. The Cayman R feels alive at 45mph. My friends Cayman R in particular is such a clean example. Another friend of mine and I have discussed how the 987/997.2 leather seems to hold up better than 987/997.1, I think at one point I checked part numbers of the seat leather between the two generations and I think I remember them being different, but I'd have to confirm. The paint is in excellent condition too. When you really start to look at what the Cayman R and Boxster Spyder have to offer, you ask yourself, what else do you need in a sports car? Why does anyone need more than this? I think the answer to that is psychology and marketing. Porsche has gotten us to think that if we don't have the RS model, our cars are not good. But let me tell you, the Cayman R and Boxster Spyder is a car you can buy, keep in your garage forever and never need anything else.

The following 3 users liked this post by Bxstr:
joliver3 (04-02-2023), livfreely (04-02-2023), plafondles (04-03-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 10:29 PM
livfreely
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr;[url=tel:18721726
18721726[/url]]We got out for a spring drive yesterday morning. Stood outside for the cold start and with the FVD exhaust it's absolutely incredible, you'd think we were at a DE (drivers ed) event at a track. As we're driving down the road, I rest my arm on the armrest on the door and am wondering why it feels stiffer than my GT3. I then remember, GT3RS door cards. It's these special features that really make the entire package come together. As the car warms up we increase the revs a bit and the amazing FVD exhaust really comes alive. You get natural crackles out of the exhaust. I say natural because if you've heard some of the modern BMW's or Mercedes (or many other brands) that have aftermarket bubble tunes, you'll really come to appreciate what natural crackles sound like. As we're driving, we both commented on the size of the car, it's perfect. The interior, perfect. The speed, perfect. Not sure about you, but where we drive, speed limits on backroads are 45-55mph. I really don't want to have to go 85mph in order to get any sensation of speed. The Cayman R feels alive at 45mph. My friends Cayman R in particular is such a clean example. Another friend of mine and I have discussed how the 987/997.2 leather seems to hold up better than 987/997.1, I think at one point I checked part numbers of the seat leather between the two generations and I think I remember them being different, but I'd have to confirm. The paint is in excellent condition too. When you really start to look at what the Cayman R and Boxster Spyder have to offer, you ask yourself, what else do you need in a sports car? Why does anyone need more than this? I think the answer to that is psychology and marketing. Porsche has gotten us to think that if we don't have the RS model, our cars are not good. But let me tell you, the Cayman R and Boxster Spyder is a car you can buy, keep in your garage forever and never need anything else.

Very nice write up! Makes me want one even more. I need an R/Spyder, but the 987.2 Cayman S will suffice for now.
Old 04-03-2023, 12:55 AM
mtnflyr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bxtr, Thanks for regularly bumping this thread with your impressions! I too have one and you are correct on all accounts. It seems these still aren't really getting the respect they deserve, but that doesn't change how great they drive! So, when are you getting one?...
Old 04-03-2023, 02:42 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by doworkexotics
I’ll attach a little video of the FVD sound edition exhaust for my Cayman R tonight. YouTube isn’t uploading for me currently! I’m in love. It has GT3 overtones and I couldn’t be more happier. I was worried that an aftermarket exhaust would be too deep in sound, but this is not the case. Beyond pleased. The 3.4L is a heck of an engine! Yes the exhaust is boomy and can drone a bit under 2K but I wanted the Cayman R to sound as good as it looks!
Originally Posted by Bxstr
We got out for a spring drive yesterday morning. Stood outside for the cold start and with the FVD exhaust it's absolutely incredible, you'd think we were at a DE (drivers ed) event at a track. As we're driving down the road, I rest my arm on the armrest on the door and am wondering why it feels stiffer than my GT3. I then remember, GT3RS door cards. It's these special features that really make the entire package come together. As the car warms up we increase the revs a bit and the amazing FVD exhaust really comes alive. You get natural crackles out of the exhaust. I say natural because if you've heard some of the modern BMW's or Mercedes (or many other brands) that have aftermarket bubble tunes, you'll really come to appreciate what natural crackles sound like. As we're driving, we both commented on the size of the car, it's perfect. The interior, perfect. The speed, perfect. Not sure about you, but where we drive, speed limits on backroads are 45-55mph. I really don't want to have to go 85mph in order to get any sensation of speed. The Cayman R feels alive at 45mph. My friends Cayman R in particular is such a clean example. Another friend of mine and I have discussed how the 987/997.2 leather seems to hold up better than 987/997.1, I think at one point I checked part numbers of the seat leather between the two generations and I think I remember them being different, but I'd have to confirm. The paint is in excellent condition too. When you really start to look at what the Cayman R and Boxster Spyder have to offer, you ask yourself, what else do you need in a sports car? Why does anyone need more than this? I think the answer to that is psychology and marketing. Porsche has gotten us to think that if we don't have the RS model, our cars are not good. But let me tell you, the Cayman R and Boxster Spyder is a car you can buy, keep in your garage forever and never need anything else.
@Bxstr How would you compare the FVD sound edition with the stock(?) exhaust on your GT3?
Old 04-03-2023, 07:29 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by livfreely
Very nice write up! Makes me want one even more. I need an R/Spyder, but the 987.2 Cayman S will suffice for now.
@doworkexotics and I both think that the CS is an amazing car as is the CR. I don't have driving experience in the 987.2 CS, but we're both pretty sure that it would deliver very close to the experience of the CR, the CR just adds those additional special pieces to it. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by mtnflyr
Bxtr, Thanks for regularly bumping this thread with your impressions! I too have one and you are correct on all accounts. It seems these still aren't really getting the respect they deserve, but that doesn't change how great they drive! So, when are you getting one?...
Great question. Since I'm already the owner of one old Porsche (16 years old), I'd maybe consider getting a 981 or 718 Spyder/GT4. But I'm not in the position to add cars. So whatever I'd buy would replace my GT3. It's hard for me to want to sell my GT3 for anything after four years and addressing most of the "issues" that the platform has, namely coolant lines where you drop the motor. If I was buying in todays market, I don't think there'd be much of a question, I'd save the $60k and get a Spyder/CR, or buy a new 718 GT4/Spyder before they were discontinued. The only reason I'd buy a new 718 is because of condition, it's brand new. When I bought my GT3, it was within reach financially. I do think that the 997 GT3 does have a certain feeling to it between engine, gearbox and exhaust that it is hard to match in any other car. But from my perspective, the CR ranks in the top cars I've driven. It's just so involving and exciting. My friend and I have also had discussions though about me selling my GT3 and getting into a Spyder or GT4. I just have a fear that I'd regret that decision and whatever I buy would need to be literally perfect cosmetically. It's my only complaint with all 997 GT3's, they're 10-15 years old which means there will be imperfections and those imperfections drive me insane. If you're as particular as I am, finding any car, even with 5k miles on it that is ten years old in flawless condition is very challenging, hence why a 987 CR/Spyder gives me pause, even a 981 gives me pause, but there's a good chance of finding a very clean 718.

Originally Posted by The Duke
@Bxstr How would you compare the FVD sound edition with the stock(?) exhaust on your GT3?
Really difficult question. I think I'd rather compare the FVD exhaust with other sports cars out there because to me, the GT3 truly has a very unique sound. But to answer your question, my 997 GT3 has a Sharkwerks center muffler bypass. Stock side mufflers and headers, you retain valve control. The CR is louder throughout the entire rev range because there aren't valves on my friends FVD. So at idle or 2k, the CR is louder than my GT3. Also, having the engine directly behind your head adds to this and you also get an echo effect with how the cabin is setup in the CR. I'd say that the GT3 has a "cleaner" sound throughout the rev range. This isn't saying the CR isn't a clean sound, but the CR has more bass to it, I'd say. When you get above 5-6k, the GT3 really comes alive in terms of sound, but so does the CR with FVD. They're really both amazing, just different sounds. Let me tell you this, the 3.4L in the Cayman R is way better than the 3.8L DFI motor I had in my 997.2 C2S in terms of sound. I had an exhaust on that car with PSE and it just didn't sound anywhere near as good or as loud as the FVD on the Cayman R. It's actually one of the reasons I sold the C2S.
The following users liked this post:
The Duke (04-03-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 03:11 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

@doworkexotics @Bxstr I am very happy to say that I've just placed an order for the FVD Sound edition. I'll report back here once I've installed it. To say that I'm excited is a radical understatement!
doworkexotics (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 03:19 PM
doworkexotics
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

@doworkexotics @Bxstr I am very happy to say that I've just placed an order for the FVD Sound edition. I'll report back here once I've installed it. To say that I'm excited is a radical understatement!

Nice! Let me know how you like it. It is on the aggressive side but it’s a Cayman R, let it sing! It totally transformed my CR experience and now is a main highlight of the car.

Enjoy!
The following 2 users liked this post by doworkexotics:
cavediver32043 (05-29-2023), Zeus993 (07-28-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 10:06 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Great choice. Excited to hear how you like it. I think the only thing that Cayman R really needs to complete the package is a proper exhaust. Just makes the entire car come alive. I think you’re going to have an all new appreciation for your car once it’s installed.
Old 05-29-2023, 10:45 PM
Patek
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes, let us hear it when it is all done.

Old 05-30-2023, 07:10 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Great choice. Excited to hear how you like it. I think the only thing that Cayman R really needs to complete the package is a proper exhaust. Just makes the entire car come alive. I think you’re going to have an all new appreciation for your car once it’s installed.
Your expectation that I am going to have "an all new appreciation for (my) car" is a thread that runs through your and @doworkexotics experiences with this exhaust on his car.

Originally Posted by Patek
Yes, let us hear it when it is all done.
You will read and hear it here first!
Patek (05-31-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 11:55 AM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

@doworkexotics @Bxstr @Patek I'm super excited - my FVD sound edition is being delivered today!

My current plan is to install it this weekend!

Edit: Delivered! I'm in the office, but my wife just sent me the below.

Last edited by The Duke; 07-27-2023 at 03:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by The Duke:
doworkexotics (07-27-2023), Zeus993 (07-28-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 11:56 AM
doworkexotics
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

@doworkexotics @Bxstr @Patek I'm super excited - my FVD sound edition is being delivered today!

My current plan is to install it this weekend!

Keep us posted!
Old 07-28-2023, 08:16 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

Just read this, albeit an older post. Yes, they are an amazing package where the whole does eceed the sum of its parts. Really good what Porsche was able to create pre the big electric push (electric assisted steering, electric e-brake etc...) and essentially, IMO, the numbing down of the cars. I've experienced now 3 more modern Porsce (2014 981 Cayman, 2019 Carrera T, 2021 718 Spyder) and I've decided I'm going back to what I feel is the "Golden Age" of Porsche sports cars - the 987 / 997 generation.

I agree on the speed comment - they are super fun to drive without grossly exceeding the speed limit. And to be honest, as much as I miss my 997 GT3-RS, it just was not that fun to drive at the speed limit. I felt like I was driving a spirited horse that just wanted to go FAST all the time. So the Spyder/CR is that magical combination of road feel and fun at decent speeds.

And I agree, should / when I step back into a 987.2 Spyder (my 3rd) it will be a keeper, the one to keep and maintain for those early am / week day evening rips up into the local hills and canyons, for those blissful moments of respite from the city traffic, where you approximate being "one" with the car. Magical.
The Duke (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 09:23 AM
gartzspeed
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You picked a fantastic one as your keeper

Quick Reply: Cayman R drive