Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Cayman R drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 06:16 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

It's installed! Here's the link to my install and preliminary thoughts, https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...l#post18936759

Definately more to come on this!
The following users liked this post:
doworkexotics (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 10:53 PM
doworkexotics
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Hope you are enjoying Duke!

@Bxstr and I enjoyed taking the fixed wings out this weekend. Wonderful cars and roads.

Old 08-01-2023, 09:50 AM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

@doworkexotics Is that the same viper green GT4 as in your above exhaust vid?

Looks like big fun! I need to get out more often!

Last edited by The Duke; 08-01-2023 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-01-2023, 09:52 AM
doworkexotics
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by The Duke
@doworkexotics Is that the same viper green GT4 as in your above exhaust vid?

Looks like big fun! I need to get our more often!

It is! Very cool car.
Old 09-04-2023, 09:10 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,170 Likes on 2,169 Posts

@doworkexotics and I got out for a Cayman R drive today. Still think for under $100k, it is one of the best drivers/sports cars on the market today. If it was my money, it’s what I’d be buying. Doesn’t get better. I’ve driven plenty of great sports cars under that price point and this takes the cake.

Side note - we got out a couple weeks ago for a back to back 997 GT3 and 987 Cayman R drive. I’ll try and type something up when I get a chance and I’ll let him do the same. We both came away with exactly the same thoughts. Short of it is, GT3 motor has a bit more Motorsport feel to it. GT3 clutch and shifter are more of a workout. Cayman R easier to drive with an incredible amount of engagement and excitement. Both excellent choices and would be happy to discuss either with someone via PM or here.

Old 09-05-2023, 11:02 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 593 Posts

I've always said that the Spyder/CR is 90% of the GT3, at least for the driving experience. Is it the fastest on the race track? No. But is it super engaging and overall easier to live with outside of a track, yes.

In my case, where I live in a city, it takes me 20-30 mins to get out of the city and up onto some great driving roads. In the case of the GT3 RS this got very tiring. And if I ever got stuck in slow traffic, lord help me. Super noisy, heavy clutch etc... The Spyder takes all that in stride and then also "comes alive" on the twisties. it's an amazing car, sub-100K sports car. And I've had now 3 > $100K cars and still now back in a Spyder. Enought said!
The following 2 users liked this post by Zeus993:
cavediver32043 (09-06-2023), John McM (09-05-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 11:47 AM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
@doworkexotics and I got out for a Cayman R drive today. Still think for under $100k, it is one of the best drivers/sports cars on the market today. If it was my money, it’s what I’d be buying. Doesn’t get better. I’ve driven plenty of great sports cars under that price point and this takes the cake.

Side note - we got out a couple weeks ago for a back to back 997 GT3 and 987 Cayman R drive. I’ll try and type something up when I get a chance and I’ll let him do the same. We both came away with exactly the same thoughts. Short of it is, GT3 motor has a bit more Motorsport feel to it. GT3 clutch and shifter are more of a workout. Cayman R easier to drive with an incredible amount of engagement and excitement. Both excellent choices and would be happy to discuss either with someone via PM or here.

@Bxstr I think it's already established that I look forward to reading your and @doworkexotics posts. However, I do want to register a bit of dissatisfaction - in the above, you've made no reference to the sound of his CR! What's up with that? :-)

On a more serious note - within a HPDE setting, my CS has more to offer than I can currently take advantage of. I'm working to get closer, but even then I know it will be a hoot!

Last edited by The Duke; 09-08-2023 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-09-2023, 05:28 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Duke
@Bxstr I think it's already established that I look forward to reading your and @doworkexotics posts. However, I do want to register a bit of dissatisfaction - in the above, you've made no reference to the sound of his CR! What's up with that? :-)

On a more serious note - within a HPDE setting, my CS has more to offer than I can currently take advantage of. I'm working to get closer, but even then I know it will be a hoot!
Haha! Great point regarding sound. It was amazing as always. It never disappoints. We did a 15 mins drive into the city for some coffee and then got onto some backroads. Volume is apparent throughout the rev range and the tone really comes alive above 3k in the Cayman R. Simply perfection. Cannot endorse the FVD enough. I'll also continue to reinforce just how much better the 3.4L motor sounds vs the 997.2 3.8 that I had previously, even with PSE and Sharkwerks exhaust.

Both of us are very tame drivers, so I always find the power level of the CR or the GT3 plenty. The roads I'm on are 45-55mph so having something with insane power is just going to be dangerous. I don't want to put myself, others or my car at risk because I need to push harder in order to get excitement out of my car. I want it to feel exciting at all speeds and both the CR and GT3 deliver.
The Duke (09-09-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 05:44 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I've always said that the Spyder/CR is 90% of the GT3, at least for the driving experience. Is it the fastest on the race track? No. But is it super engaging and overall easier to live with outside of a track, yes.

In my case, where I live in a city, it takes me 20-30 mins to get out of the city and up onto some great driving roads. In the case of the GT3 RS this got very tiring. And if I ever got stuck in slow traffic, lord help me. Super noisy, heavy clutch etc... The Spyder takes all that in stride and then also "comes alive" on the twisties. it's an amazing car, sub-100K sports car. And I've had now 3 > $100K cars and still now back in a Spyder. Enought said!
The CR (or Spyder) is all the car that anyone needs for the street. It's exciting at any speed, the driving experience is amazing and the special bits really help to get me even more excited.

I'm lucky to live within a few mins of amazing roads. But for those that live in the city and have to deal with an hour of traffic round trip just to get to/from those roads, I could see where having something even easier, more complaint etc. would become important. I also don't think that people talk enough about the cost of these cars. The CR and Spyder are vastly undervalued for what you're getting. I probably shouldn't be saying that as I'd like to own one at some point, but it's the truth.

Side note: I'd be curious to hear how you ended back at a 987.2 Spyder, since you had a 997.2RS and a 718 Spyder, or maybe you have a prior post with this info. I actually considered a 718 Spyder/GT4 last year as I really was considering getting into something new. Wanted that experience of 0 miles, being able to PPF the entire car and knowing everything about it from day one. @doworkexotics and I had many conversations about it. But at the end of it, my 997 GT3 is just perfect for what my use is and I've sorted it, so I made the decision to keep it. But I think if I was doing it over again and was buying a car when I was buying my 997.2 C2S (which was then replaced with my GT3), I'd likely be looking at a high spec 987.2 Spyder or Cayman R. Back 5 years ago, you could get into a very nice example for $60k. If I'd have bought that, I wonder if I would have ended up in a GT3. Possibly, as I probably would have wanted to experience one, but then I probably would have realized that the Spyder/CR is perfect for what I need, with a whole lot of cash left in the bank.

Enjoy your new Spyder. It's amazing.
Old 09-13-2023, 12:25 PM
plafondles
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

What kind of FVD exhaust is he running? Is it valved? I have a stock/ non PSE exhaust on my CR and it is too quiet, especially at track days, but I don't want to be obnoxious around town either.
Old 09-13-2023, 12:53 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plafondles
What kind of FVD exhaust is he running? Is it valved? I have a stock/ non PSE exhaust on my CR and it is too quiet, especially at track days, but I don't want to be obnoxious around town either.
Both @doworkexotics and I are running the FVD sound edition. The name does NOT mislead!

If you read the above, you'll see and hear a fair amount of characterizations of the quality of that sound on the driving experience.

I've had it on my CS since July, so I'm still a bit of a newbie. For me, it's the conspicuous exhaust "experience" that I imagine one would demand for their "outlaw" water cooled 911.
plafondles (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 02:11 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 593 Posts
Default 718 Spyder numbness...

Originally Posted by Bxstr
The CR (or Spyder) is all the car that anyone needs for the street. It's exciting at any speed, the driving experience is amazing and the special bits really help to get me even more excited.
IT'S A FUN CAR, EVEN AT LOWER SPEEDS, VS THE GT3 RS I HAD THAT WHEN YOU OPENED IT UP IT WAS WAY WAY OVER THE SPEED LIMIT!

I'm lucky to live within a few mins of amazing roads. But for those that live in the city and have to deal with an hour of traffic round trip just to get to/from those roads, I could see where having something even easier, more complaint etc. would become important. I also don't think that people talk enough about the cost of these cars. The CR and Spyder are vastly undervalued for what you're getting. I probably shouldn't be saying that as I'd like to own one at some point, but it's the truth.
ME TOO. AMAZING COUNTRY ROADS AND SOME AWESOME HILL CLIMBS UP THE LOCAL SKI HILLS. AGREE 100% ON THE CR/SPYDER BEING UNDER VALUED.

Side note: I'd be curious to hear how you ended back at a 987.2 Spyder, since you had a 997.2RS and a 718 Spyder, or maybe you have a prior post with this info. I actually considered a 718 Spyder/GT4 last year as I really was considering getting into something new. Wanted that experience of 0 miles, being able to PPF the entire car and knowing everything about it from day one. @doworkexotics and I had many conversations about it. But at the end of it, my 997 GT3 is just perfect for what my use is and I've sorted it, so I made the decision to keep it. But I think if I was doing it over again and was buying a car when I was buying my 997.2 C2S (which was then replaced with my GT3), I'd likely be looking at a high spec 987.2 Spyder or Cayman R. Back 5 years ago, you could get into a very nice example for $60k. If I'd have bought that, I wonder if I would have ended up in a GT3. Possibly, as I probably would have wanted to experience one, but then I probably would have realized that the Spyder/CR is perfect for what I need, with a whole lot of cash left in the bank.
YOU KNOW SOMETHING - I LIKED THE NEWER CARS, 3 OF THEM WITH 0 MILES, BUT THERE IS A STERILITY, A LACK OF EMOTION IN THE NEW 718 SPYDER. I LIKED IT, DIDN'T LOVE IT. TOO MANY MODERN / IRRITATING AMENITIES. I AND RIDICULOUSY HAPY BEING BACK IN MY GEN-1 SPYDER.

DO I MISS MY 997.2 GT3 RS? EVERYNOW AND AGAIN BUT THE SPYDER DOES 80-90% OF THAT CAR WITH THE TOP OFF. LOVE IT.

Enjoy your new Spyder. It's amazing.
I will!
Old 09-13-2023, 05:01 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plafondles
Some answers in the post from @plafondles but it is not valved. If you’re putting a lot of miles on your car, valved may make sense. But @doworkexotics uses his as a weekend car, mostly around town and backroads so the non-valved is fine.
Old 09-13-2023, 05:06 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I will!
Thanks for the reply. Haven’t had the opportunity to drive any new GT4/Spyder. Not 981 or 718. Rode in a 981 GT4 years ago and I came away thinking it was good, but not that I needed it. When I rode in that same friends 997 GT3, I knew I needed it. This was prior to owning my C2S or (after I sold that) my 997 GT3. I think a happy balance may have been the Spyder/CR at the time, either when buying the C2S or the GT3. The issue was no one I knew had one and I didn’t realize just how good it was. I probably wouldn’t have believed them either until I got the opportunity to drive each of them. I’m glad I got into my GT3, it’s a car I hope to keep long term. But part of my motivation for creating this thread is to help people realize there’s other options besides just the GT3 and also to help people realize that the default answer of getting a Carrera S may not be right for them. There’s this hidden gem of the Spyder/CR that just feels so right.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bxstr:
plafondles (09-13-2023), Zeus993 (09-14-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 05:06 PM
plafondles
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Thank you! I did go back through this thread and check out his videos and your thoughts which I appreciate. Sounds great, have some thinking to do.

Quick Reply: Cayman R drive