Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Cayman R drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 05:08 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,072 Posts

Originally Posted by plafondles
Thank you! I did go back through this thread and check out his videos and your thoughts which I appreciate. Sounds great, have some thinking to do.
oops, I meant to tag the duke. Looked at the wrong username when replying to you.

But I’m sure @doworkexotics or I or any of the people on here with the FVD would be happy to give input. It’s truly an amazing exhaust. But like I said I would consider the valved version for lots of driving.

There’s also some people that do headers on these cars and it’s amazing the sound that is unlocked.
Old 09-14-2023, 11:17 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Thanks for the reply. Haven’t had the opportunity to drive any new GT4/Spyder. Not 981 or 718. Rode in a 981 GT4 years ago and I came away thinking it was good, but not that I needed it. When I rode in that same friends 997 GT3, I knew I needed it. This was prior to owning my C2S or (after I sold that) my 997 GT3. I think a happy balance may have been the Spyder/CR at the time, either when buying the C2S or the GT3. The issue was no one I knew had one and I didn’t realize just how good it was. I probably wouldn’t have believed them either until I got the opportunity to drive each of them. I’m glad I got into my GT3, it’s a car I hope to keep long term. But part of my motivation for creating this thread is to help people realize there’s other options besides just the GT3 and also to help people realize that the default answer of getting a Carrera S may not be right for them. There’s this hidden gem of the Spyder/CR that just feels so right.
You are so correct - while the GT3 is many drivers dreams (mine too!), it's a different beast to live with it. The Spyder/CR is a nice amount of power (can be boosted w a flash), a subline suspension, and a steering rack that so responsive.

I might have said this before - where my GT3 RS repeatedly "bit me in the leg" with speeding tickets, impounds etc... the Spyder is always "right there" as the perfect driver.
Old 09-16-2023, 12:04 AM
nicholascanada
Pro

Received 274 Likes on 141 Posts

Anyone compared a Cayman R to Lotus Evora 400/GT? They seem like very similar cars and I am still curious how they match up now that I own the Lotus.
Old 09-22-2023, 07:09 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Early morning drive today. Very enjoyable.

The following 4 users liked this post by Bxstr:
joliver3 (09-23-2023), SeanPatrick31 (09-22-2023), The Duke (09-24-2023), Zeus993 (09-22-2023)
Old 09-24-2023, 11:17 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nicholascanada
Anyone compared a Cayman R to Lotus Evora 400/GT? They seem like very similar cars and I am still curious how they match up now that I own the Lotus.
I can't comment on it from a driving experience as I only have experience in the Cayman R. I do want to touch on one thing that may be thought of less, the community. One of the selling points with Porsche, to me, is PCA along with the wealth of knowledge on forums. I enjoy being able to meet up with local enthusiasts and have a solid club experience. Lotus probably has a solid club, but just more region dependent. For instance, I just Googled to see if there's a Lotus club in Ohio, I didn't find one. Whereas there's three PCA regions. Porsche and Ferrari have two of the best car communities I've been able to experience when it comes to European car brands, professional people and great networking. I think that alone would sell me on the Cayman R. Great dealer network for Porsche too, although if you're servicing at independents, probably less of an issue.
Old 10-01-2023, 09:49 AM
doworkexotics
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

The following users liked this post:
islaTurbine (10-01-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 09:52 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Great day and drive.
Old 10-01-2023, 10:06 AM
doworkexotics
Advanced

@Bxstr and I had a great fall drive yesterday. As the seasons change and the air becomes crisp, it really makes for my favorite driving season. Chasing the GT3 is always a delight. The GT3 presence and sound when the engine “gets on cam” is a delight. The factory racer looks of the CR compliment the 997 GT3 so well. It was a fantastic era. There is a beauty to these “simple” cars. Made for a simple purpose and pure enjoyment. As we ended our drive we asked does it get better? I’m not sure it does. As you go up the ladder and experience newer models, you realize it the newer cars offer diminishing returns. We are thankful to own these machines. The signs and sounds yesterday of two flat six’s howling in the countryside…no, no it doesn’t get better.
Lastly, we concluded our day by hopping in the CR and grabbing coffee in rush hour traffic. These cars just do it all. No compromise. Which I really enjoy. It’s the beauty of a Porsche, all Porsches.

Originally Posted by doworkexotics

The following 2 users liked this post by doworkexotics:
d90spyder (10-01-2023), islaTurbine (10-01-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 10:26 AM
doworkexotics
Advanced

Cool crisp air, before the sun rises, about to explore some deserted roads. I will say, the CR cabin is one of my favorite things about the car. Unique and special.
The following 2 users liked this post by doworkexotics:
d90spyder (10-01-2023), Zeus993 (10-01-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 02:17 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

The cabin in these CR / Spyders are wonderfully SIMPLE. Love them too.
The following 3 users liked this post by Zeus993:
doworkexotics (10-04-2023), plafondles (10-01-2023), The Duke (10-01-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 08:02 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 152 Posts

Sucks to NOT be you guys!

Seriously, I love the updates. I wish I got out as often and had such solid co-drivers!

Last edited by The Duke; 10-01-2023 at 08:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by The Duke:
doworkexotics (10-04-2023), tcal765 (10-12-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 01:57 AM
DAB Bowie
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to Buy R

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Hi Everyone,
My friend @doworkexotics recently picked up a 987.2 Cayman R and he let me have a go in it this morning. It was a great comparison because I drove my 997.1 GT3 down to his house, about 40 mins on backroads, which I've owned for over two years now and put a couple thousand miles on in that time. The summary of it is that the Cayman R (and I'm sure a standard, if you can call it that, 987.2 Cayman/S) has to be one of the best sports cars (if not the best) under $75k. When compared to my GT3, everything just felt easier. I nearly put my foot through the floor when I initially pressed in the clutch, coming out of my GT3 which is known for having a heavy clutch. The GT3 shifter is more notchy than the 987.2 Cayman R, but the Cayman R shifter is easier to use. Rev matching is incredibly easy also. Handling is great, it leans in and sticks with just enough body roll to know that the car is turning in. Steering feel is perfect as you'd expect in a hydraulic steering Porsche. There is just enough weight and you can truly feel everything through the wheel. As with any Porsche, I feel that they get ergonomics just about perfect. I'm 6'5", I can't fit in most Mercedes, Audi's and Lexus (including RX, IS, ES, GS or LS) except the GX, yet Porsche, a car that looks small, somehow has plenty of space for me. Pedal placement, shifter placement, steering wheel adjustment, everything is just right. It would be fantastic if every manufacturer could take a note from Porsche on how to make a car that people of all sizes can drive. Materials are of high quality as well. Power level is perfect for a street car. Actually more usable on the street than my GT3. The weight, or lack of it, is very apparent as well. So is the size and how easy it is to place in your lane.

The only thing that my friend and I agreed the car needs is an exhaust of some sort. His car has optional PSE, but it is just not loud enough, specifically with windows down at 50mph. I told him before he picked it up that PSE would likely be a bit of a letdown, since it was on my 997.2 C2S and even after the Sharkwerks bypass on my C2S, I still wanted more. It sounds great from the outside of the car, but on the inside, it is too quiet. I'm not the only one that feels this way as many others have mentioned this in the 997 forum and have went to a louder setup like Tubi. I also appreciate a quiet car, for instance, my Audi S4 daily driver that I used to have, had an AWE exhaust and while it was great initially, it was a bit much for everyday use. But on the Cayman R, I'd want a bit more sound, which I think he's going to upgrade come spring. We also both noted that even with a fresh brake fluid flush and pads with >50% life, the brakes don't have quite as much initial bite as you'd expect. Even my GT3 is like this, you have to get into the pedal a bit more, but I would say it has more pedal feel than the Cayman R. But the Cayman R's brakes, once you get into them, inspire lots of confidence.

The Cayman R touches are special too. The lack of a shield over the instruments, the lack of door sills and instead a piece of film that says Cayman R along with the decals on the side and small wing, really make this a car that you can look back at, as we did this morning.

My advice is, if you're reading this and you own one of these cars, take it out for a drive and realize just how special it is. If you own one of these cars and are thinking of upgrading to a GT3/4, ask yourself if you really need to, as a GT3 owner, the Cayman R is phenomenal and provides all the right feel and things that I'd expect out of a sports car. If you're reading this and wondering if you should buy a Cayman R, or a Boxster Spyder, I'd highly recommend it. It's a very special car that feels more special than the 997.2 Carrera S I had. Granted, that car was PDK (which took away some of the enjoyment for me), but did have PSE, SPASM and was a great build with lots of options including full leather.

Thanks again for the opportunity to drive it!

Joe

Im thinking about buying an R tomorrow! It has 85 k miles and they want 55k for the car. Should I do it?!

Old 12-04-2023, 09:43 AM
plafondles
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Does it have any damage from being backed into that bollard?!
The Duke (12-04-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 09:44 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

What are the specs? Looks like Hard Back Sport Seats (HBSS).

Is it touching that post? Yeesh, that's CLOSE!

Last edited by Zeus993; 12-04-2023 at 10:10 AM.
DAB Bowie (12-04-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 09:46 AM
doworkexotics
Advanced

https://www.loyalsignaturemotors.com/2012-porsche-cayman-r-c-1470.htm

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/t-Used-Porsche-Cayman-R-t42056#listing=367411496/NONE/DEFAULT

Get a PPI and if you like it go for it!

Last edited by doworkexotics; 12-04-2023 at 09:47 AM.
DAB Bowie (12-04-2023)

Quick Reply: Cayman R drive