Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Cayman R drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 09:18 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,072 Posts

Glad you got an exhaust! Looking forward to hearing it!
Old 11-10-2021, 12:35 AM
doworkexotics
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by The Duke
I eagerly await your posting of sound clips!

This is one of the exhausts that's on my shortlist for my CS.
I’ll attach a little video of the FVD sound edition exhaust for my Cayman R tonight. YouTube isn’t uploading for me currently! I’m in love. It has GT3 overtones and I couldn’t be more happier. I was worried that an aftermarket exhaust would be too deep in sound, but this is not the case. Beyond pleased. The 3.4L is a heck of an engine! Yes the exhaust is boomy and can drone a bit under 2K but I wanted the Cayman R to sound as good as it looks!

Last edited by doworkexotics; 11-10-2021 at 08:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
The Duke (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 11:31 AM
doworkexotics
Advanced

Originally Posted by doworkexotics
I’ll attach a little video of the FVD sound edition exhaust for my Cayman R tonight. YouTube isn’t uploading for me currently! I’m in love. It has GT3 overtones and I couldn’t be more happier. I was worried that an aftermarket exhaust would be too deep in sound, but this is not the case. Beyond pleased. The 3.4L is a heck of an engine! Yes the exhaust is boomy and can drone a bit under 2K but I wanted the Cayman R to sound as good as it looks!
Old 11-10-2021, 02:03 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 152 Posts

Sounds really great. I'll be coming back to this vid often!
The following 2 users liked this post by The Duke:
doworkexotics (11-11-2021), Patek (11-15-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 06:33 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 143 Posts

I've got the TUV version of this on my Boxster S. I wanted the lower volume version, and am perfectly happy. It's very slightly boomy at 2 to 3K RPM with the top up, down it's all good.

I left the PSE exhaust on my Cayman R, and it's got a slightly lower volume than the FVD even in the TUV version.

doworkexotics (11-11-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 10:45 PM
PTSGT3
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Sounds really great. To confirm, is this is the specific exhaust, doworkexotics? You mentioned it a bit, but are you able to describe how bad the drone is?

https://flat6motorsports.com/product...9b9f57fe&_ss=r

Last edited by PTSGT3; 11-10-2021 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-11-2021, 05:49 AM
doworkexotics
Advanced

Originally Posted by PTSGT3
Sounds really great. To confirm, is this is the specific exhaust, doworkexotics? You mentioned it a bit, but are you able to describe how bad the drone is?

https://flat6motorsports.com/product...9b9f57fe&_ss=r

Yes that is the exhaust! Product ID is: BES 987 C50 F0S.

My Cayman R had PSE before and under 2,500 RPMs it went silent. I had @Bxstr drive it and he agreed that it was surprisingly quiet when in a higher gear. With the FVD, under 2,500 it is boomy sounding. There is drone. It’s not terrible, I’m use to loud cars but it is definitely there. Near 3K it gets a bit quieter but then over 3K the flat 6 howl starts up. I was very surprised at how loud this exhaust was when I picked up the car. Even my installer who works on these daily was a bit surprised for a cat back. If you are driving your car weekly/daily, I’d probably get the quieter version. I’m driving my car 1-2 times a week now so I don’t mind it. That said, I truly love the end result. I believe FVD makes a valved option which would have been a great option as well. Super impressed with FVD. Hope that helps!

Last edited by doworkexotics; 11-11-2021 at 05:54 AM.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:09 PM
Patek
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I just bought a Cayman R 3 weeks ago. Just sport and Sport Plus buttons , no PSE. Is there anything else I need to buy to go with the FVD to get the sound. It is a bit quite, I have a Ferrari 458 and boy howdy that thing lights up the town at 9,000rpm. But it does have a drone , and it is a factory exhaust. I really hate the drone. I watched the video posted on the Flat6motorsports like above. The guy in the video said there is "absolutly no Drone" at 2-3 thousand rmps. But you said it did have a drone. I Tend to believe the guy that puts one in vs. someone selling the kit. Not sure how to find out more about the sound , if it drives you crazy. The Ferrari is not fun at all, 2 hours and I am done. It is a super stiff car and the carbon fiber race seats kill my back in the 458.
Thanks,
John

Last edited by Patek; 11-15-2021 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:00 PM
zygomatic
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Retrofitting PSE is a pretty complex operation. If I remember the number to install the PSE button on the center console was something like 10 or 15 hours on top of installing the muffler. Long and short, you're probably better off looking for an exhaust you can switch on and off remotely, and forgoing the Porsche one.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:08 PM
Patek
Rennlist Member

I think to have the PSE is close to $4,500 Plus. So sounds like it is not worth the price. Would the FVD do anything sound wise to my stock exhaust sound.....
Old 11-15-2021, 05:32 PM
doworkexotics
Advanced

Originally Posted by Patek
I just bought a Cayman R 3 weeks ago. Just sport and Sport Plus buttons , no PSE. Is there anything else I need to buy to go with the FVD to get the sound. It is a bit quite, I have a Ferrari 458 and boy howdy that thing lights up the town at 9,000rpm. But it does have a drone , and it is a factory exhaust. I really hate the drone. I watched the video posted on the Flat6motorsports like above. The guy in the video said there is "absolutly no Drone" at 2-3 thousand rmps. But you said it did have a drone. I Tend to believe the guy that puts one in vs. someone selling the kit. Not sure how to find out more about the sound , if it drives you crazy. The Ferrari is not fun at all, 2 hours and I am done. It is a super stiff car and the carbon fiber race seats kill my back in the 458.
Thanks,
John
Hi John,

I actually have a F430 with a full Capristo exhaust (headers, HFCs, muffler). It drones but Ferrari V8 <3.

The FVD Sound Edition exhaust I have does drone. 2-3K rpms it is boomy. Pretty loud from 1-2K rpms also when taking off. It’s not terrible but if a stock 458 exhaust drone is too much for you then I would definitely recommend the quieter FVD TUV (quiet) version. Honestly I think you would love PSE. It wasn’t silent and had a decent amount of volume. I loved being able to turn it on and off, doesn’t make a massive difference at all, but is still cool to use. Regardless, I would not recommend the Sound version. It is much louder than I anticipated. But…I love it…

Congrats on the Cayman R! I am truly in love. I’d love to hear how you like it compared to your 458. Different cars for sure but I have definitely been impressed by the CR! Enjoy

Patek (11-15-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 06:03 PM
Patek
Rennlist Member

That is the info I needed Doworkexotics. The drone is not that much fun going down the highway. But the rest of the time I am in the mountains had high revs and don't hear anything on the tail of the dragon. I will think about the PSE then. The 458 and CR are lightyears away from each other. The Ferrari is on another planet. But the CR is also fine, I really can't compare them. The Ferrari will just flat smoke the CR. I notice I need to really make sure I have room to pass when I am in the CR, in the 458 you can go just about anytime , anywhere. Massive speed, and barely touch the throttle and you are beyond gone. I like the CR as you can really dig deep, and still not be going 120mph. Something to be said about driving a slow car fast. It feels great, you are not scaring your self in the CR, it turns in very nice, a bit of Body roll if not set up correctly, but it really glued down. It is maybe more fun on the Tail of the Dragon than the 458. I can't get the Ferrari out of 2nd gear is a fact when full on. I did it one time for about 2 seconds then heavy on the brakes. The CR carrys very nice over the dragon. Love the steering, and l like the sound of the flat six like it is. Nothing to complain about on the CR so far. I drove it down to Petite LeMans everyday for 3 days, which it 142 round trip daily. It was fine, no back problems, very fit, and I have a 23 mile mountain road to go over every time I leave town. So I got to see a bunch about how it took the curves, where the RPM was best, sport or Sport plus. I love this much more than the 911 line from the same time period. I have had 12 Ferraris and 12 by Porsche. I like to try a bit of everything. Now the Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio was the closest thing to the 458 I have ever driven in a 4 door, it was only half a second slower than the 458..... and handles maybe a bit easier , and could glue down on the track at Road Atlatna. We did a photo shoot in 2018 with some other Alfa race cars, and the Quad with 505 HP was Stooooopid fast, and the turns were about what I would want in the Ferrari. But in reality I don't need the speed of the 458 after 6 years it is something you get use to and you find out it really is just too much. I could live with the Cayman R, 987.2 if there was no Ferrari in the picture.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:50 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,072 Posts

Originally Posted by Patek
Thanks,
John
Any chance the valves on your 458 are always open? That may cause some drone.
Patek (11-15-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 07:54 PM
Patek
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Any chance the valves on your 458 are always open? That may cause some drone.
No I decided I did not want it on all the time. Just the nature of the beast at Highway speeds.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:02 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 197 Posts

I'm also a 458 owner. If you drive it in Race mode it will drone at highway speeds since the valves open at much lower RPM. There is no drone in Sport since the valves open at higher RPM. You can get a Forza Componenti valve controller and control the valves manually.
Patek (11-15-2021)

Quick Reply: Cayman R drive