Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Cayman R drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 01:58 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,072 Posts
Default Cayman R drive

Hi Everyone,
My friend @doworkexotics recently picked up a 987.2 Cayman R and he let me have a go in it this morning. It was a great comparison because I drove my 997.1 GT3 down to his house, about 40 mins on backroads, which I've owned for over two years now and put a couple thousand miles on in that time. The summary of it is that the Cayman R (and I'm sure a standard, if you can call it that, 987.2 Cayman/S) has to be one of the best sports cars (if not the best) under $75k. When compared to my GT3, everything just felt easier. I nearly put my foot through the floor when I initially pressed in the clutch, coming out of my GT3 which is known for having a heavy clutch. The GT3 shifter is more notchy than the 987.2 Cayman R, but the Cayman R shifter is easier to use. Rev matching is incredibly easy also. Handling is great, it leans in and sticks with just enough body roll to know that the car is turning in. Steering feel is perfect as you'd expect in a hydraulic steering Porsche. There is just enough weight and you can truly feel everything through the wheel. As with any Porsche, I feel that they get ergonomics just about perfect. I'm 6'5", I can't fit in most Mercedes, Audi's and Lexus (including RX, IS, ES, GS or LS) except the GX, yet Porsche, a car that looks small, somehow has plenty of space for me. Pedal placement, shifter placement, steering wheel adjustment, everything is just right. It would be fantastic if every manufacturer could take a note from Porsche on how to make a car that people of all sizes can drive. Materials are of high quality as well. Power level is perfect for a street car. Actually more usable on the street than my GT3. The weight, or lack of it, is very apparent as well. So is the size and how easy it is to place in your lane.

The only thing that my friend and I agreed the car needs is an exhaust of some sort. His car has optional PSE, but it is just not loud enough, specifically with windows down at 50mph. I told him before he picked it up that PSE would likely be a bit of a letdown, since it was on my 997.2 C2S and even after the Sharkwerks bypass on my C2S, I still wanted more. It sounds great from the outside of the car, but on the inside, it is too quiet. I'm not the only one that feels this way as many others have mentioned this in the 997 forum and have went to a louder setup like Tubi. I also appreciate a quiet car, for instance, my Audi S4 daily driver that I used to have, had an AWE exhaust and while it was great initially, it was a bit much for everyday use. But on the Cayman R, I'd want a bit more sound, which I think he's going to upgrade come spring. We also both noted that even with a fresh brake fluid flush and pads with >50% life, the brakes don't have quite as much initial bite as you'd expect. Even my GT3 is like this, you have to get into the pedal a bit more, but I would say it has more pedal feel than the Cayman R. But the Cayman R's brakes, once you get into them, inspire lots of confidence.

The Cayman R touches are special too. The lack of a shield over the instruments, the lack of door sills and instead a piece of film that says Cayman R along with the decals on the side and small wing, really make this a car that you can look back at, as we did this morning.

My advice is, if you're reading this and you own one of these cars, take it out for a drive and realize just how special it is. If you own one of these cars and are thinking of upgrading to a GT3/4, ask yourself if you really need to, as a GT3 owner, the Cayman R is phenomenal and provides all the right feel and things that I'd expect out of a sports car. If you're reading this and wondering if you should buy a Cayman R, or a Boxster Spyder, I'd highly recommend it. It's a very special car that feels more special than the 997.2 Carrera S I had. Granted, that car was PDK (which took away some of the enjoyment for me), but did have PSE, SPASM and was a great build with lots of options including full leather.

Thanks again for the opportunity to drive it!

Joe

The following 20 users liked this post by Bxstr:
908/3fan (10-10-2022), Andy Ordonez (09-20-2021), cavediver32043 (08-22-2021), d90spyder (08-22-2021), daylorb (08-22-2021), fineito (08-22-2021), Hdizzle (04-18-2022), ilko (11-11-2021), jmirandes (12-30-2023), joliver3 (08-21-2021), joseph mitro (08-21-2021), LaughingCrow (07-28-2023), MattUF (08-24-2021), MXA121 (05-01-2023), needmoregarage (08-22-2021), ohmyggg (10-28-2022), plafondles (08-23-2021), SeanPatrick31 (09-20-2021), Smudo (11-11-2021), voodu3 (09-23-2023) and 15 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

02-03-2024, 02:59 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

It's February 3rd in Ohio. I haven't seen my GT3 in three months as it's in storage. Not sure I even own a GT3 at this point, lol. Luckily @doworkexotics and I both wanted to get together and get the Cayman R out. Roads are clean and it is starting to feel like spring, which is only a little over a month away. Going to say it again, Cayman R is the best value in Porsche for under $100k. I've been fortunate to drive a lot of really amazing cars and the fact that these are $80k or under for a nice one boggles my mind. If I knew what I know now, there's a high likelihood I'd have saved the price differential between a GT3 and Cayman R.

Also, the Cayman R has one of the best Porsche wheel designs ever, specifically in black with the silver lip.

Old 08-21-2021, 03:53 PM
EYEHAVEYOU
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Alex shared this with me - as someone who just listed my CR for sale and was having second thoughts, you aren’t making it any easier!

Great write-up and think you have a spot on assessment of the car. Also first time I saw any kind of review that mentioned lack of door sills and the little stickers - no one seems to notice it, but it’s my favorite little aesthetic difference (even if I’m sure it only saves half a lb haha)
Old 08-22-2021, 02:26 PM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

The stock PSE is quiet at city speeds.

carnewal has a plug and play remote box that lets you have PSE open at all time… that might just be enough.

added advantage is it also lets you close the valves when you want less sound from the exhaust
Old 08-22-2021, 04:39 PM
cavediver32043
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Hi Everyone,
My friend @doworkexotics recently picked up a 987.2 Cayman R and he let me have a go in it this morning. It was a great comparison because I drove my 997.1 GT3 down to his house, about 40 mins on backroads, which I've owned for over two years now and put a couple thousand miles on in that time. The summary of it is that the Cayman R (and I'm sure a standard, if you can call it that, 987.2 Cayman/S) has to be one of the best sports cars (if not the best) under $75k. When compared to my GT3, everything just felt easier. I nearly put my foot through the floor when I initially pressed in the clutch, coming out of my GT3 which is known for having a heavy clutch. The GT3 shifter is more notchy than the 987.2 Cayman R, but the Cayman R shifter is easier to use. Rev matching is incredibly easy also. Handling is great, it leans in and sticks with just enough body roll to know that the car is turning in. Steering feel is perfect as you'd expect in a hydraulic steering Porsche. There is just enough weight and you can truly feel everything through the wheel. As with any Porsche, I feel that they get ergonomics just about perfect. I'm 6'5", I can't fit in most Mercedes, Audi's and Lexus (including RX, IS, ES, GS or LS) except the GX, yet Porsche, a car that looks small, somehow has plenty of space for me. Pedal placement, shifter placement, steering wheel adjustment, everything is just right. It would be fantastic if every manufacturer could take a note from Porsche on how to make a car that people of all sizes can drive. Materials are of high quality as well. Power level is perfect for a street car. Actually more usable on the street than my GT3. The weight, or lack of it, is very apparent as well. So is the size and how easy it is to place in your lane.

The only thing that my friend and I agreed the car needs is an exhaust of some sort. His car has optional PSE, but it is just not loud enough, specifically with windows down at 50mph. I told him before he picked it up that PSE would likely be a bit of a letdown, since it was on my 997.2 C2S and even after the Sharkwerks bypass on my C2S, I still wanted more. It sounds great from the outside of the car, but on the inside, it is too quiet. I'm not the only one that feels this way as many others have mentioned this in the 997 forum and have went to a louder setup like Tubi. I also appreciate a quiet car, for instance, my Audi S4 daily driver that I used to have, had an AWE exhaust and while it was great initially, it was a bit much for everyday use. But on the Cayman R, I'd want a bit more sound, which I think he's going to upgrade come spring. We also both noted that even with a fresh brake fluid flush and pads with >50% life, the brakes don't have quite as much initial bite as you'd expect. Even my GT3 is like this, you have to get into the pedal a bit more, but I would say it has more pedal feel than the Cayman R. But the Cayman R's brakes, once you get into them, inspire lots of confidence.

The Cayman R touches are special too. The lack of a shield over the instruments, the lack of door sills and instead a piece of film that says Cayman R along with the decals on the side and small wing, really make this a car that you can look back at, as we did this morning.

My advice is, if you're reading this and you own one of these cars, take it out for a drive and realize just how special it is. If you own one of these cars and are thinking of upgrading to a GT3/4, ask yourself if you really need to, as a GT3 owner, the Cayman R is phenomenal and provides all the right feel and things that I'd expect out of a sports car. If you're reading this and wondering if you should buy a Cayman R, or a Boxster Spyder, I'd highly recommend it. It's a very special car that feels more special than the 997.2 Carrera S I had. Granted, that car was PDK (which took away some of the enjoyment for me), but did have PSE, SPASM and was a great build with lots of options including full leather.

Thanks again for the opportunity to drive it!

Joe

Very good write up / comparison of the Cayman R to other makes n models! Credibility is your experience in other model Porsches and other manufacturer makes/models. This fact alone in my opinion shed s light on the validity and reality that the Cayman Base/S/R's are in fact Great cars! I own a 07 CS with 40K mi. I still emit the same if not more excitement every time I run it since new. I perform all my own scheduled/unscheduled maintenance and have done a lot of study on the car and systems: including possible failure points and their prevention/minimalization. I am 60 years young and plan on driving this Great machine until I cant.....which by my calculation will be into my 90's!!
Old 08-22-2021, 10:01 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 261 Posts

Excellent review, especially because you managed to humble brag on the cars that you own multiple times and then give obvious “advice” to people who already own these cars! 10/10 would read again.
Old 08-23-2021, 01:46 PM
sectachrome
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 100 Posts

Really interesting to read your impressions.That car is gorgeous. I have a base that wants to be an R when it grows up. It's a fantastic car that probably gives 80% of the experience but I would love a Spyder or R. If I had one I would never sell it. I think any of the 987.2's are still an incredible value.

I agree that PSE is a little too quiet. Sometimes I find myself looking down to the button just to make sure its actually on. At <60 mph speeds with the windows down and WOT it sounds great. With more wind noise, or when you're off throttle or just cruising you can't really hear it. Probably better on the Boxster with nothing between you and the exhaust.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:38 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 794 Likes on 420 Posts

advice to op: buy one
Old 08-24-2021, 07:12 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 494 Likes on 318 Posts

Soft brake pedal is a known problem.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...edal-suck.html

Yes these engines are too quiet stock, but once you do all the intake & exhaust mods the car will howl over 5k+ rpm...
Old 08-24-2021, 03:04 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm a broken record at this point, but catless headers make the car SCREAM (in a good way) when you want it to. Obviously if emissions testing occurs they can be a no go, but if you don't have to deal with that then I recommend them 100%. A few weeks ago I had a guy (a corvette guy no less) follow me home while I was driving my Spyder just so he could comment on how good the car sounded. He also wanted to buy it from me, but I told him it's staying forever
The following users liked this post:
jmirandes (12-30-2023)
Old 08-24-2021, 11:19 PM
doworkexotics
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks @Bxstr ! We had a blast that day! I sure am impressed with the Cayman R and I agree for sub $75K, I cannot think of a better car. It checks all of the Porsche boxes. Flat six, wonderful manual, perfect pedal placement, the sound, handling, etc.

Since my car has PSE, I’m thinking about going the header route…still need to do some research.

In comparison to other cars I’ve owned and driven, this one is a keeper. The low curb weight, silky smooth engine and engaging transmission all make it a wonderful driving experience. I frequently call it a mini F430. Similar driving characteristics, handling, etc. In comparison to the GT3, the GT3 feels even more analog and very communicative. The Metzger is hard to beat and the gearbox reminds me of a gated Ferrari shifter.

At the end of the day you can’t go wrong with these cars. If you have a Cayman R or are thinking about one, I say go for it. It’s truly a bargain for the driving experience and special factor.

Last edited by doworkexotics; 08-24-2021 at 11:21 PM.
TYPE911 (04-12-2024)
Old 08-27-2021, 11:46 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EYEHAVEYOU
Alex shared this with me - as someone who just listed my CR for sale and was having second thoughts, you aren’t making it any easier!

Great write-up and think you have a spot on assessment of the car. Also first time I saw any kind of review that mentioned lack of door sills and the little stickers - no one seems to notice it, but it’s my favorite little aesthetic difference (even if I’m sure it only saves half a lb haha)
Your car is a special one. If you can use the money more efficiently for something else, definitely sell. But if you're able to keep it, I would. It's a great car.

Originally Posted by bassie81
The stock PSE is quiet at city speeds.

carnewal has a plug and play remote box that lets you have PSE open at all time… that might just be enough.

added advantage is it also lets you close the valves when you want less sound from the exhaust
Great info, I'm sure my friend will consider it! I've been considering the Carnweal controller for my GT3.

Originally Posted by cavediver32043
Very good write up / comparison of the Cayman R to other makes n models! Credibility is your experience in other model Porsches and other manufacturer makes/models. This fact alone in my opinion shed s light on the validity and reality that the Cayman Base/S/R's are in fact Great cars! I own a 07 CS with 40K mi. I still emit the same if not more excitement every time I run it since new. I perform all my own scheduled/unscheduled maintenance and have done a lot of study on the car and systems: including possible failure points and their prevention/minimalization. I am 60 years young and plan on driving this Great machine until I cant.....which by my calculation will be into my 90's!!
Thanks! I've driven enough Porsche's and cars in general to know what I like and don't like. I don't have as much experience as many on here, but the GT3 and Cayman R are special cars. Your Cayman S is phenomenal I am sure. Great balance and the ideal power for the road.

Originally Posted by Bents
Excellent review, especially because you managed to humble brag on the cars that you own multiple times and then give obvious “advice” to people who already own these cars! 10/10 would read again.
Thanks! I'd say that I am very critical of my own cars. I'm typically the one to point out all of the flaws before ever commenting on the positives of it. I've had or driven cars that I have straight up told people are not great. For instance, I had a 997.2 C2S in PDK that I just did not like. Many would enjoy, but the car was not for me and how I wanted to use it which was as a weekend car. The GT3 was the right move for me being more raw. The Cayman R feels more raw than my C2S, but I am guessing much of that has to do with the engagement of the manual transmission over the PDK, which I just couldn't get excited about no matter how much I tried to convince myself. I sold the car after one driving season due to other reasons, but I had no issue telling people when I had it, or after I had it, the flaws with it. No reason to try and convince yourself of something when it's not right for you.

Originally Posted by sectachrome
Really interesting to read your impressions.That car is gorgeous. I have a base that wants to be an R when it grows up. It's a fantastic car that probably gives 80% of the experience but I would love a Spyder or R. If I had one I would never sell it. I think any of the 987.2's are still an incredible value.

I agree that PSE is a little too quiet. Sometimes I find myself looking down to the button just to make sure its actually on. At <60 mph speeds with the windows down and WOT it sounds great. With more wind noise, or when you're off throttle or just cruising you can't really hear it. Probably better on the Boxster with nothing between you and the exhaust.
Very cool! 987.2 is a great platform. Our family had a 986 Boxster years ago which had the IMS bearing go so in general I try and recommend the 997.2 cars, even though the later model bearings are much less common to fail. The exhaust note is great, just would like it to be a bit louder.

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
advice to op: buy one
That would be my goal in like 10 years from now. Other financial priorities first. Either a 987.2 Boxster Spyder or Cayman R or possibly even a 981 Boxster Spyder or GT4.

Originally Posted by ekam
Soft brake pedal is a known problem.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...edal-suck.html

Yes these engines are too quiet stock, but once you do all the intake & exhaust mods the car will howl over 5k+ rpm...
Great info - thanks! Have heard of many people doing the GT3 brake master cylinder upgrade.

Originally Posted by MattUF
I'm a broken record at this point, but catless headers make the car SCREAM (in a good way) when you want it to. Obviously if emissions testing occurs they can be a no go, but if you don't have to deal with that then I recommend them 100%. A few weeks ago I had a guy (a corvette guy no less) follow me home while I was driving my Spyder just so he could comment on how good the car sounded. He also wanted to buy it from me, but I told him it's staying forever
Great info - thanks! Glad you're keeping yours. Too many people buying and selling cars all of the time now. Having a car you can hold onto long term is great.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:39 AM
blindfold
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

would you guys think it is a good upgrade on a spyder to use cayman R shocks/spring setup or would this be too low of ride height(front side splitters are scrubbing sometimes), or too harsh of a ride for weekend fun street car, thanks
Old 09-17-2021, 10:15 AM
doworkexotics
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by blindfold
would you guys think it is a good upgrade on a spyder to use cayman R shocks/spring setup or would this be too low of ride height(front side splitters are scrubbing sometimes), or too harsh of a ride for weekend fun street car, thanks
Is the suspension different from the Spyder to the R? I would not be worried about the R suspension ground clearance. I used to daily drive an Audi which was lower than the R. I’ve been daily/weekly driving mine and have never encountered a problem with ride height/scraping.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:50 PM
sectachrome
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by blindfold
The Spyder and R suspension is virtually identical, apart from (I think) slightly different spring rates to compensate for the weight difference between the two.
joliver3 (09-17-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 01:11 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doworkexotics
Is the suspension different from the Spyder to the R? I would not be worried about the R suspension ground clearance. I used to daily drive an Audi which was lower than the R. I’ve been daily/weekly driving mine and have never encountered a problem with ride height/scraping.
Originally Posted by sectachrome
The Spyder and R suspension is virtually identical, apart from (I think) slightly different spring rates to compensate for the weight difference between the two.
Yes, there is a difference. 20mm lowering (due to springs) and also different struts. The 20mm lowering could have been had on a CS.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9872CSPS.html

http://www.motorologist.com/wp-conte...R-brochure.pdf

Quick Reply: Cayman R drive