Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Cayman R drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 08:03 PM
doworkexotics
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Patek
That is the info I needed Doworkexotics. The drone is not that much fun going down the highway. But the rest of the time I am in the mountains had high revs and don't hear anything on the tail of the dragon. I will think about the PSE then. The 458 and CR are lightyears away from each other. The Ferrari is on another planet. But the CR is also fine, I really can't compare them. The Ferrari will just flat smoke the CR. I notice I need to really make sure I have room to pass when I am in the CR, in the 458 you can go just about anytime , anywhere. Massive speed, and barely touch the throttle and you are beyond gone. I like the CR as you can really dig deep, and still not be going 120mph. Something to be said about driving a slow car fast. It feels great, you are not scaring your self in the CR, it turns in very nice, a bit of Body roll if not set up correctly, but it really glued down. It is maybe more fun on the Tail of the Dragon than the 458. I can't get the Ferrari out of 2nd gear is a fact when full on. I did it one time for about 2 seconds then heavy on the brakes. The CR carrys very nice over the dragon. Love the steering, and l like the sound of the flat six like it is. Nothing to complain about on the CR so far. I drove it down to Petite LeMans everyday for 3 days, which it 142 round trip daily. It was fine, no back problems, very fit, and I have a 23 mile mountain road to go over every time I leave town. So I got to see a bunch about how it took the curves, where the RPM was best, sport or Sport plus. I love this much more than the 911 line from the same time period. I have had 12 Ferraris and 12 by Porsche. I like to try a bit of everything. Now the Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio was the closest thing to the 458 I have ever driven in a 4 door, it was only half a second slower than the 458..... and handles maybe a bit easier , and could glue down on the track at Road Atlatna. We did a photo shoot in 2018 with some other Alfa race cars, and the Quad with 505 HP was Stooooopid fast, and the turns were about what I would want in the Ferrari. But in reality I don't need the speed of the 458 after 6 years it is something you get use to and you find out it really is just too much. I could live with the Cayman R, 987.2 if there was no Ferrari in the picture.

I totally agree that they are hard to compare. Just different beasts. I bought my CR to fulfill my manual itch. Loving it so far! Good luck with your exhaust search! We must embrace these flat 6s.
The following users liked this post:
Patek (11-15-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 08:08 PM
Patek
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes, I like the Forza valve controller. I had one on the Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio and it was great. Just need to hook up the 458. I did finally notice that the Sport mode did take the drone out. But it took me a while, I never took it out of race.
Thanks.
John

Old 11-16-2021, 03:03 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 194 Posts

Cool! If you have small hands you can reach the electrical connectors to the solenoids by removing the top of the airbox. No need to take the whole rear end of the car like the normalguysupercar video suggests. It literally takes 15 minutes.

Alright, now back to the topic of how great the Cayman R and Boxster Spyder are! I picked up a Carnewal GT exhaust for my Spyder and it sounds great, I love it.
Old 11-20-2021, 01:36 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,986 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Hi Everyone - stopped by @doworkexotics ' house to take a ride in the Cayman R this morning (thanks by the way, was a great way to spend the morning!). First off, I have to say that the special factor and excitement I get when I'm around that car still stands. Having been around cars much more expensive, there's something about it (pics below). I think it's all of the small details that really make the car feel incredibly special. Regarding the exhaust, it is loud. On cold start, for the first 30 seconds, I was very surprised. After 30 seconds, it quiets down quite a bit. At low RPM's, there can be a short instance of drone/resonance/frequency, say around 1200-1400 RPM's when you're just getting going, but definitely not what I would call annoying. When cruising you can control it with how much throttle input you give. There was one point when I said "we're at 5k, right?" and we were only at 3800RPM. I couldn't believe it. There is the amazing flat 6 sound that you're expecting when this car is approaching 4k. It's unreal and simply perfect. I'll stand by the statement that PSE should have been the standard exhaust on that car. It's really not loud enough for me and I'd need an exhaust if I owned this car. PSE should have been what this exhaust is, but with valves so that you could control when you want it loud. Highly recommend this exhaust for someone looking for a proper sounding exhaust for their Cayman R.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bxstr:
needmoregarage (11-20-2021), The Duke (11-21-2021)
Old 04-17-2022, 01:12 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

@doworkexotics and I got out for a drive on Friday. We started out in the Cayman R. To say that I am continually impressed with that car is an understatement. Getting onto the entrance ramp and hearing the phenomenal flat 6 with FVD exhaust approach redline is something you need to experience in person. The sound is what I would consider perfect. Cup car notes. Loud with more than 50% throttle. Quiet with less than 50% throttle. Truly an exhaust that you can live with if you want something that can be used often and not get tiring yet sound amazing on a weekend drive. The special factor is absolutely there when you sit in it. I then jumped in my GT3 to follow the Cayman R. The small accents like the wing, the shape of the car and having Guards Red just makes that car stand out on the road. To say I didn't mind being behind it for our one hour drive is an understatement.

Oh and while we were out we saw someone FaceTiming and driving. A reminder to tell those you care about not to risk their lives for something like this. Drinking and driving, texting and driving and a new one, FaceTiming and driving, can wait.

Enjoy your cars this season and stay safe out there.

The following 6 users liked this post by Bxstr:
cavediver32043 (04-17-2022), Chris MI 987 (04-19-2022), pirahna (04-18-2022), plafondles (04-18-2022), The Duke (04-17-2022), zdet (04-18-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-17-2022, 02:42 PM
Patek
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
@doworkexotics and I got out for a drive on Friday. We started out in the Cayman R. To say that I am continually impressed with that car is an understatement. Getting onto the entrance ramp and hearing the phenomenal flat 6 with FVD exhaust approach redline is something you need to experience in person. The sound is what I would consider perfect. Cup car notes. Loud with more than 50% throttle. Quiet with less than 50% throttle. Truly an exhaust that you can live with if you want something that can be used often and not get tiring yet sound amazing on a weekend drive. The special factor is absolutely there when you sit in it. I then jumped in my GT3 to follow the Cayman R. The small accents like the wing, the shape of the car and having Guards Red just makes that car stand out on the road. To say I didn't mind being behind it for our one hour drive is an understatement.

Oh and while we were out we saw someone FaceTiming and driving. A reminder to tell those you care about not to risk their lives for something like this. Drinking and driving, texting and driving and a new one, FaceTiming and driving, can wait.

That seems like a smart move for exhaust.
Old 04-18-2022, 10:19 PM
doworkexotics
Advanced

We had a blast this past weekend! Every time I get behind the wheel of the CR I'm blown away. It is such an incredible driving experience. The steering, the door pulls, the wing and then the sound. For being a non GT car, it has all of the motorsport sounds that you love. The throttle response is phenomenal. I just drove my buddies R8, manual V8, and it was lazy in comparison. The little car just shocks me. For the value, it’s hard to beat. These are still being slept on. Enjoy yours when you take it out because truly, they are that good.

Here are some more pics to enjoy. The 097.1 GT3 really pairs nicely with the CR. Similar generation. To me this is one of the greatest generations in Porsche history.

Originally Posted by Bxstr

The following 4 users liked this post by doworkexotics:
Chris MI 987 (04-19-2022), fouckhest (04-19-2022), pirahna (04-26-2022), The Duke (04-19-2022)
Old 03-09-2023, 08:04 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by doworkexotics
I’ll attach a little video of the FVD sound edition exhaust for my Cayman R tonight. YouTube isn’t uploading for me currently! I’m in love. It has GT3 overtones and I couldn’t be more happier. I was worried that an aftermarket exhaust would be too deep in sound, but this is not the case. Beyond pleased. The 3.4L is a heck of an engine! Yes the exhaust is boomy and can drone a bit under 2K but I wanted the Cayman R to sound as good as it looks!
@doworkexotics I want to resurrect your post to ask you whether you've had any second thoughts about your purchase of the FVD sound edition? Any change in tone, volume, or anything to report?

I am about to make the call - yes, it's later than I thought it would be - to FVD to purchase this exhaust for my 2010 CS MT.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:12 PM
doworkexotics
Advanced

Originally Posted by The Duke
@doworkexotics I want to resurrect your post to ask you whether you've had any second thoughts about your purchase of the FVD sound edition? Any change in tone, volume, or anything to report?

I am about to make the call - yes, it's later than I thought it would be - to FVD to purchase this exhaust for my 2010 CS MT.
I’ve put about 3,500 miles on my CR with the FVD and love it. It is loud but it brings out such a sweet flat 6 tone. I have only gotten annoyed of it once on a 2.5HR highway drive. It drones on the highway and can get old, especially with windows up. But it’s worth it. I’ve had multiple friends remark at how good the FVD exhaust sounds. Absolutely transformed the car!
The following 2 users liked this post by doworkexotics:
Patek (03-10-2023), The Duke (03-09-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 08:21 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 140 Posts

The TUV version of the exhaust solves the drone and occasional loudness issues. I have it on my Boxster S and love it.
The following 2 users liked this post by andy7777:
Patek (03-10-2023), The Duke (03-09-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 08:05 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Possibly one of the best, driver focused cabins out there. You’d think it’s a 997 RS4.0 interior from this angle. Sport design steering wheel, with of course no buttons. An excellent shifter. This translates into an excellent driving experience. Can’t wait to get some miles (passenger seat) on it this summer with @doworkexotics. Spring is almost here and driving season is beginning in a couple of weeks.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bxstr:
doworkexotics (03-13-2023), mtnflyr (03-14-2023), The Duke (03-13-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 04:17 AM
604IS350
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@doworkexotics The exhaust sounds really good ! I'm sure it sounds way better in person. I'm looking into getting the same exhaust but I also see this one by FVD https://www.fvd.net/us-en/BES9872C50...90mm-tips.html. Did you look into this one before getting yours? Other than the price and design , I'm not sure what the difference is.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:22 PM
doworkexotics
Advanced

Originally Posted by 604IS350
@doworkexotics The exhaust sounds really good ! I'm sure it sounds way better in person. I'm looking into getting the same exhaust but I also see this one by FVD https://www.fvd.net/us-en/BES9872C50...90mm-tips.html. Did you look into this one before getting yours? Other than the price and design , I'm not sure what the difference is.

I think the valved edition would be a great option if you drive your car frequently or with the windows up frequently. I am not sure if valve open volume would be as loud as the “sound edition” but I’m sure it will have a nice volume increase. I’ve been very impressed with my FVD exhaust!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
FullSizeRender.MOV (9.22 MB, 51 views)
Old 03-31-2023, 09:42 PM
Patek
Rennlist Member

Was that movie clip of your FVD exhaust....
John
Old 03-31-2023, 09:43 PM
doworkexotics
Advanced

Originally Posted by Patek
Was that movie clip of your FVD exhaust....
John

Yes, FVD Sound Version.

Quick Reply: Cayman R drive