Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987.2 Spyder FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 10:50 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
Didn't know that fun fact. I don't think I ever used the CD changer, even once. I used my Iphone for tunes, although rather sparingly.
Great to see you checking in as you wait for your newly allocated Spyder. I’m taking good care of your former ABM. I just had the Spyder out for a sunny afternoon’s 30 mile run on my favorite local winding rural roads. Made glorious noises. A couple of weeks ago I spent two days doing a detailed OCD paint semi-correction. Going over every square mm of surface, I was amazed at how few tiny paint chips I could spot on a car with 30K miles. Amazing paint! And best of all, after two months in the bureaucratic black hole, l finally received my Spyder’s title and registration from the DMV - no more driving around with my fingers crossed and nothing but a copy of the bill of sale in the glove compartment. Keep on truckin’........
The following users liked this post:
d90spyder (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 05:28 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 253 Posts

Question for the experts out there. Did the 'model designation delete' option eliminate just the Boxster Spyder letters on the trunk lid or did it in addition to that also remove the 'Porsche' vinyl graphics that runs the length of the car on the side?
Old 10-18-2020, 05:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
Question for the experts out there. Did the 'model designation delete' option eliminate just the Boxster Spyder letters on the trunk lid or did it in addition to that also remove the 'Porsche' vinyl graphics that runs the length of the car on the side?
You could select to remove the rear model designation separate from the side graphic.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:55 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
You could select to remove the rear model designation separate from the side graphic.

So it sounds like there was one option code for the rear badging and a second option code for the side graphic delete? If so, what where those two option codes and their descriptions?
Old 10-18-2020, 09:15 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jakermc
So it sounds like there was one option code for the rear badging and a second option code for the side graphic delete? If so, what where those two option codes and their descriptions?
One of them was “Model Designation Delete” but I don’t recall the code. I can’t remember the code or exact name for the side graphic delete unfortunately. I regret not taking screen shots of the website back then, that would have been a great way to confirm everything.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:26 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,710 Likes on 2,106 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
One of them was “Model Designation Delete” but I don’t recall the code. I can’t remember the code or exact name for the side graphic delete unfortunately. I regret not taking screen shots of the website back then, that would have been a great way to confirm everything.
Get the hardcover Spyder brochure; it has all the options and codes in the back. You can find them readily on eBay. Cover is white with lime green print.

I sold my Spyder last month; otherwise would take some pics of the option codes. Below is a pick of the book and color options

Old 10-18-2020, 11:50 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I do have that book and the cool case that comes with it but I don’t recall the option codes being listed in there. I’ll have a look again.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:35 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

In The Book: 498 Deletion of model designation. Nothing that I see on deletion of side graphics.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:24 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 81 Posts

I just ordered the above Spyder model book off the bay, with soft top protective envelope. Cost me a pretty penny, but it's probably something every owner should have. I don't think I could drop the PORSCHE side stripes; I love them.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:56 AM
Boiler Inspector
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by alemaniac
Car 45181 sounds like the 6-speed sibling to my PDK, whoever has that one. Curious if it also has SC and PCCB.

**Edit: I scrolled up. Looks like it has SC but not the PCCB. But, to be fair, my PCCB was added after the point of sale.
I have been it's caretaker for a little over a year now. It does have SportChrono, but no PCCB. Only one other Aqua out there with black interior and 6MT/LWB's.
The following 2 users liked this post by Boiler Inspector:
alemaniac (10-22-2020), d90spyder (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 05:47 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Originally Posted by Boiler Inspector
I have been it's caretaker for a little over a year now. It does have SportChrono, but no PCCB. Only one other Aqua out there with black interior and 6MT/LWB's.
And she's a beaut, Clark! Gotta love ABM.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:09 PM
Boiler Inspector
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by alemaniac
And she's a beaut, Clark! Gotta love ABM.
Sometimes it gets a little more attention than I care for, but I guess that comes with the territory!
Old 12-22-2020, 11:26 AM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Default VINanalytics.com to the rescue!!!!

For months and months, I have been whining and whining about trying to reconstruct the detailed sticker list prices for my 2011 987.2 Spyder. The problem was that the earlier Spyders had several different MSRP option prices compared to those built several months later. Internet searches brought forth a whole bunch of various prices for the same options and only added to the confusion. I spent (wasted!) hours trying to (unsuccessfully) reconstruct the known final MSRP of $83,300 on my car.

Today, just for grins, I returned to vinanalytics.com and punched in my VIN. I was amazed to see that they have made a significant expansion of their database, and every effing option of my car was called out with its individual price. Adding up all the prices EXACTLY duplicated the previously known final MSRP on my car. What a great Christmas gift (which I am referencing here)!

What is even more interesting is that they now report the total number of 2011 NA Spyders at 620 (with mine being reported as #161 of the 620). And digging further into their database, I found that they report the total number of 2012 NA Spyders at 138. That makes the total number of 987.2 Spyders for the North American market at 758. All those numbers are SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than had been deduced earlier. Thus the Spyder is even rarer (by a small bit) than previously thought.

Attached Images
The following 3 users liked this post by SCMike:
2XIPA (12-26-2020), alemaniac (12-22-2020), motoken (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 01:42 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Originally Posted by SCMike
For months and months, I have been whining and whining about trying to reconstruct the detailed sticker list prices for my 2011 987.2 Spyder. The problem was that the earlier Spyders had several different MSRP option prices compared to those built several months later. Internet searches brought forth a whole bunch of various prices for the same options and only added to the confusion. I spent (wasted!) hours trying to (unsuccessfully) reconstruct the known final MSRP of $83,300 on my car.

Today, just for grins, I returned to vinanalytics.com and punched in my VIN. I was amazed to see that they have made a significant expansion of their database, and every effing option of my car was called out with its individual price. Adding up all the prices EXACTLY duplicated the previously known final MSRP on my car. What a great Christmas gift (which I am referencing here)!

What is even more interesting is that they now report the total number of 2011 NA Spyders at 620 (with mine being reported as #161 of the 620). And digging further into their database, I found that they report the total number of 2012 NA Spyders at 138. That makes the total number of 987.2 Spyders for the North American market at 758. All those numbers are SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than had been deduced earlier. Thus the Spyder is even rarer (by a small bit) than previously thought.
What a happy ending to all of your hard work and diligence. Merry Christmas to you, indeed!
The following users liked this post:
SantaFePorsche (12-23-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 02:53 PM
motoken
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMike

I'm curious where you found all of this extra data? I just ran a new product again against my VIN (745173), and I'm getting the same numbers and data I have always received from VINANALYTICS. While it provides me with a Base Boxster Spyder price of $61200, it lists all other options as $0. That being said, it does list a total price of $75195, which matches the Porsche COA I have for the car.

Quick Reply: 987.2 Spyder FAQ