Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987.2 Spyder FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 02:27 PM
rich c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

You can go to https://vinanalytics.com/. Additionally, page up to posts #97-110 and find you vin by color. Good Luck!
Old 08-08-2020, 04:46 PM
gandalfthegray.
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
CORRECTION, see Rich’s post below! The thread I’m referencing provides the quantity of each color built.

Check for the color of the Spyder you’re considering in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...n-summary.html

The build sheets are provided for each of the VIN’s that came to North America. You’ll need to sift through them to find the one your looking at which could take some time if it’s white or black.
Thank you, sir! I found it.

Can you explain the difference between full leather interior vs standard? I noticed your car and one other that I was looking at have "full leather".
Old 08-08-2020, 04:47 PM
gandalfthegray.
Racer

Originally Posted by rich c4s
You can go to https://vinanalytics.com/. Additionally, page up to posts #97-110 and find you vin by color. Good Luck!
Thanks! I found it.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:52 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by gandalfthegray.
Thank you, sir! I found it.

Can you explain the difference between full leather interior vs standard? I noticed your car and one other that I was looking at have "full leather".
Full leather adds leather to the upper and lower dash, entire door except the lowest section which is a smooth plastic, radio surround, center arm rest and the roll hoops. It’s a cosmetic upgrade and you typically only see it in the red and tan interior cars, Black was rarely optioned with Full Leather on the Spyder. Cost was $3,655. It also weighs less than the standard interior which is a nice side benefit!.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:40 PM
gandalfthegray.
Racer

Full leather adds leather to the upper and lower dash, entire door except the lowest section which is a smooth plastic, radio surround, center arm rest and the roll hoops. It’s a cosmetic upgrade and you typically only see it in the red and tan interior cars, Black was rarely optioned with Full Leather on the Spyder. Cost was $3,655. It also weighs less than the standard interior which is a nice side benefit!.

So that's quite a nice bonus to find. I thought all the Porsche dash pads were leather covered. So it's just a plastic cover then? Slightly disappointing to hear, I imagined it would be a few bits behind the seats or something like that.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:28 PM
kaaayelll
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

Picking up a 2011 manual with approx 20k miles. What are people’s thoughts on buying a warranty from the dealer? I know it’s subjective, but what do you think is the right balance between timeframe and cost? It looks like I have options from 2yr/24k to 6yr/80k, and I’m pretty sure it’s transferable (will triple check tomorrow) but not technically CPO. Time and miles start now. I can’t see putting anywhere near 80k miles in the next 6yrs.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:51 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,346 Likes on 708 Posts

So that's quite a nice bonus to find. I thought all the Porsche dash pads were leather covered. So it's just a plastic cover then? Slightly disappointing to hear, I imagined it would be a few bits behind the seats or something like that.
I’ve had full leather porsches (GT3 and Cayenne) and Porsches without. Everyone is a little different but please don’t let a non-full leather car deter you from at least checking it out... especially on a Spyder.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:55 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kaaayelll
Picking up a 2011 manual with approx 20k miles. What are people’s thoughts on buying a warranty from the dealer? I know it’s subjective, but what do you think is the right balance between timeframe and cost? It looks like I have options from 2yr/24k to 6yr/80k, and I’m pretty sure it’s transferable (will triple check tomorrow) but not technically CPO. Time and miles start now. I can’t see putting anywhere near 80k miles in the next 6yrs.
These are pretty solid cars from what I’ve read so unless you have certain suspicions, it’s probably not a big deal to pass. Having said that, it really comes down to price and the fine print.

I stupidly bought a 2 year third party warranty on a Lexus once for like $1700. Total waste of money. At least they threw in 4 free scheduled services on the house.
The following users liked this post:
kaaayelll (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 01:09 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
These are pretty solid cars from what I’ve read so unless you have certain suspicions, it’s probably not a big deal to pass. Having said that, it really comes down to price and the fine print.

I stupidly bought a 2 year third party warranty on a Lexus once for like $1700. Total waste of money. At least they threw in 4 free scheduled services on the house.
Agreed, not much in the way of major issues. Water pump and shifter cables are the biggest items, neither will likely get you close to the cost of a warranty. The remaining stuff is maintenance.
kaaayelll (08-12-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 04:48 AM
pennbee
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What color / spec did you end up getting? Where did you find it? That is great you found one.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:22 AM
alemaniac
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 81 Posts

No regrets on my "peasant" non-full leather Spyder. Not really a luxury car person, anyways. I'd have ordered it even without a stereo, if buying new. Yet, mine has a stereo, PCM, and Nav. None of which I really use.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:43 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
I’ve had full leather porsches (GT3 and Cayenne) and Porsches without. Everyone is a little different but please don’t let a non-full leather car deter you from at least checking it out... especially on a Spyder.
Originally Posted by alemaniac
No regrets on my "peasant" non-full leather Spyder. Not really a luxury car person, anyways. I'd have ordered it even without a stereo, if buying new. Yet, mine has a stereo, PCM, and Nav. None of which I really use.

Agreed with above. Finding a good condition Spyder with the options you want is difficult enough, leather is a nice to have option but definitely not a must have.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:01 AM
kaaayelll
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by pennbee
What color / spec did you end up getting? Where did you find it? That is great you found one.
Basalt, manual, sofas, full leather, A/C. The options I would have liked are buckets, PCM, and sport exhaust. I have buckets in my GT4 and love them once in, but they are a bit of work to get in and out. How much would lack of PCM bother you all?

On the positive side, completely clean DME - zeroes across the board.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:39 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Basalt, manual, sofas, full leather, A/C. The options I would have liked are buckets, PCM, and sport exhaust. I have buckets in my GT4 and love them once in, but they are a bit of work to get in and out. How much would lack of PCM bother you all?

On the positive side, completely clean DME - zeroes across the board.
Nice, congrats! In a car like the Spyder PCM seems out of place IMHO. This will be even more evident as the car gets older and the software is no longer updated regularly. You can always add PSE or an aftermarket solution if desired. LWB’s are a bit pricey but also easy enough to add.
kaaayelll (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 10:50 AM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Nice, congrats! In a car like the Spyder PCM seems out of place IMHO. This will be even more evident as the car gets older and the software is no longer updated regularly. You can always add PSE or an aftermarket solution if desired. LWB’s are a bit pricey but also easy enough to add.
agree on PCM. Already kind of outdated and only getting worse.

I like the Spyder buckets so much better than the 991/981 buckets I had in my GT3.
kaaayelll (08-12-2020)

Quick Reply: 987.2 Spyder FAQ