Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987.2 Spyder FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 03:10 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by motoken
I'm curious where you found all of this extra data? I just ran a new product again against my VIN (745173), and I'm getting the same numbers and data I have always received from VINANALYTICS. While it provides me with a Base Boxster Spyder price of $61200, it lists all other options as $0. That being said, it does list a total price of $75195, which matches the Porsche COA I have for the car.
Weird. Indeed as you say, when I ran your car, all your options came up at $0. Then when I go run mine, I get all my detailed non-zero prices. Maybe they are still populating the database and haven’t gotten to your car yet? I did give feedback to vinanalytics a while back that the Spyder is a unique model that merits some of the attention they usually bestow on 911 variants. Perhaps that *stimulated* them (or not). Maybe if you check in with them again a bit later.....
Old 12-22-2020, 03:36 PM
motoken
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMike
Weird. Indeed as you say, when I ran your car, all your options came up at $0. Then when I go run mine, I get all my detailed non-zero prices. Maybe they are still populating the database and haven’t gotten to your car yet? I did give feedback to vinanalytics a while back that the Spyder is a unique model that merits some of the attention they usually bestow on 911 variants. Perhaps that *stimulated* them (or not). Maybe if you check in with them again a bit later.....
I'll keep checking. The only item I think I am still trying to value is the black full leather interior. I've seen numbers that say $3655, but my math comes up with $1945. Your PDF shows $2385 for sand beige all leather interior, so I am thinking $1945 is probably the closer number being that black was not a unique color.

Anyway, loving the car. Sunny and 56F here in NM today. Should probably go put some miles on her...
Old 12-22-2020, 06:46 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

I'll keep checking. The only item I think I am still trying to value is the black full leather interior. I've seen numbers that say $3655, but my math comes up with $1945. Your PDF shows $2385 for sand beige all leather interior, so I am thinking $1945 is probably the closer number being that black was not a unique color.
Anyway, loving the car. Sunny and 56F here in NM today. Should probably go put some miles on her...
Your Spyder has piqued my interest, so I did some more digging around. Yours seems to be one of the few for which vinanalytics has not yet filled in the full dataset. Perhaps they are still trying to come up with your specific data. It looks like you have a rare combo of option codes: Code 388 - Standard Sport Bucket Seats (aka LWB); plus Code 21 - Black Full Leather w/Alcantara. Most of the early LWB cars came with just the standard black interiors at $0 cost, not the full leather. Perhaps your car is still baffling vinanalytics' gurus. It may well be your conclusion of $1945 is the correct answer for this unusual combo. Interestingly enough, the only analog to your car that I could find was the 2012 45189 Spyder that had $3655 for Code 21, but by then Porsche had figured out that they could charge full boat for the Spyder.
As far as the color choice having an impact, I could not find an instance of that on the Full Leather sofa seat cars. Both the Black and the Sand Beige were the same $2385. So you may have a semi-unicorn before Porsche fully decided upon its pricing structure. BTW - I like your specs! Your car even has the mandatory-in-retrospect XLF Sport Exhaust.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:16 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

FWIW, my Spyder doesn't populate with all options and prices on Vinanalytics either.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:32 PM
motoken
Advanced

Originally Posted by MattUF
FWIW, my Spyder doesn't populate with all options and prices on Vinanalytics either.
Make sure you pull up the data as a member. I only just realized that having a membership unlocked features that non members do not get.
The following users liked this post:
MattUF (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 08:40 PM
motoken
Advanced

Your Spyder has piqued my interest, so I did some more digging around. Yours seems to be one of the few for which vinanalytics has not yet filled in the full dataset. Perhaps they are still trying to come up with your specific data. It looks like you have a rare combo of option codes: Code 388 - Standard Sport Bucket Seats (aka LWB); plus Code 21 - Black Full Leather w/Alcantara. Most of the early LWB cars came with just the standard black interiors at $0 cost, not the full leather. Perhaps your car is still baffling vinanalytics' gurus. It may well be your conclusion of $1945 is the correct answer for this unusual combo. Interestingly enough, the only analog to your car that I could find was the 2012 45189 Spyder that had $3655 for Code 21, but by then Porsche had figured out that they could charge full boat for the Spyder.
As far as the color choice having an impact, I could not find an instance of that on the Full Leather sofa seat cars. Both the Black and the Sand Beige were the same $2385. So you may have a semi-unicorn before Porsche fully decided upon its pricing structure. BTW - I like your specs! Your car even has the mandatory-in-retrospect XLF Sport Exhaust.
My car is definitely an early build. Built in Mar 2010. Not sure about unicorn status, but I do enjoy it.

I like your car too! If it is the car I think it is, I watched it for a long time on the PCA classifieds debating if I should go for it or not. Love the color combo.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:57 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Make sure you pull up the data as a member. I only just realized that having a membership unlocked features that non members do not get.
Didn't even know that there was a difference! I created an account and it turns out they do show my options and corresponding prices

Old 12-22-2020, 11:46 PM
Ale_72
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 74 Posts

It looks like you have a rare combo of option codes: Code 388 - Standard Sport Bucket Seats (aka LWB); plus Code 21 - Black Full Leather w/Alcantara.
In my 2010 spyder I have the same

Last edited by Ale_72; 12-22-2020 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:16 AM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ale_72
In my 2010 spyder I have the same
Luv your (Berg)Spyder! Sometimes in all our navel-gazing at our PCNA Build Sheets, we forget that there are other Spyders in other countries, even sold as *gasp* 2010 Spyders. I am curious if there are some build options in Europe that were unavailable over here? Is there documentation available in other countries similar to our PCNA/PCL Build Sheets that are so helpful in defining our cars. Oh, to drive a Spyder in the Swiss Alps, that must be a dream!
Old 12-23-2020, 08:39 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks
Unfortunately I was never able to find anything similar to the PCL build sheets.
I'd love to have something similar. Even with the VIN now there are no website where you can get the specs for free anymore.
And yes... driving on the alps is amazing. But not on the Swiss ones. Too scared of Swiss speeding tickets. And with this little superfun car, it's so easy to get caught.

Last edited by Ale_72; 12-23-2020 at 08:43 AM.
SCMike (12-23-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 10:48 PM
WAILN6
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Bow caps

Confirmed fitment of the Kapsto plugs today. They were tight going in at 50 degrees, so I wonder if the bow being at 100 degrees is what causes these to fall out.

Marine Blue (12-25-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 10:53 PM
motoken
Advanced

Originally Posted by WAILN6
Confirmed fitment of the Kapsto plugs today. They were tight going in at 50 degrees, so I wonder if the bow being at 100 degrees is what causes these to fall out.

mine fell out too. I 3D printed some from plans on their website. Worked great.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:09 PM
WAILN6
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

The supplier sent me a small sample bag of these, so I’m going to watch them over the next 6 months or so. If one falls out again, I’m considering an internal score that would “lock” the main rib in. If that doesn’t do it, perhaps some black rtv on the ribs prior to installation. They’re cheap as long as you order gobs so I will figure it out and post back!
Old 12-25-2020, 08:34 AM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WAILN6
The supplier sent me a small sample bag of these, so I’m going to watch them over the next 6 months or so. If one falls out again, I’m considering an internal score that would “lock” the main rib in. If that doesn’t do it, perhaps some black rtv on the ribs prior to installation. They’re cheap as long as you order gobs so I will figure it out and post back!
Many thanks for starting this FAQ thread. While we may have occasionally strayed from the thread’s initial focus, it remains a great resource for 987.2 Spyder owners.

Back on topic: did you source those Kapsto caps in the US? I have only been able to find Kapsto caps on amazzoonski, but none of those are in the correct geometry.
Old 12-25-2020, 11:39 AM
supercroc
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

Now available at Costco.com for chilly Spyder driving days.

Quick Reply: 987.2 Spyder FAQ