Sponsored by:

Chunks slow build... very slow.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 05:14 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 899 Posts
Default Chunks slow build... very slow.

So I've gathered my thoughts and I believe I ready to begin working on my 996. I've posted on a couple things I had questions about and you guys have been awesome in answering those questions for me so thank you. First about me, this is going to be a long build simply because I'm out of the country 7 - 8 months out of the year and remain deployable when on "vacation" too. The car is extremely clean and is not a daily driver, has about 53k miles and still has the OEM IMS system. The first thing that'll happen when I get back home in April will be a full service schedule and replace the IMS, my particular indie uses EPS IMS upgrade kits and stocks them. Next items will be the intake side of the engine, brakes all the way around and refresh some of the suspension components. When purchasing the car, a set of OEM GT3 coilovers were included for a price that couldn't be refused and it currently has a RoW M030 on it now. I don't plan on adding the GT3 parts until I get a lift for the front end, Caragraphics sent me an estimate for around 2900 and my buddy sources his kits from Roboruta as he specializes in air suspensions across the entire automotive spectrum. The M030 sits very nicely so I feel I'm not missing anything by swapping right away. I'm following Zbomb, Ryan and Tex Squirrel on their builds for some inspiration and looking forward to what you guys think... good or bad. Pretty excited to get this going, wanted a Porsche after watching Condor Man with my dad... so I'm living a childhood dream.

2021 Upgrade list:

Intake upgrades:

IPD plenum kit + 997 Airbox(Special Thanks to Jcc0016) *Complete*

Brake upgrades:

Martin's rotor upgrade kit + Sebro drilled OEM style rotors *Complete*
*Stainless lines are previously installed*

Wheel upgrade: *Complete*

OZ Alleggeriata in GT3 sizes
OEM Center caps
Michelin PS2

Exterior upgrades: Pending the duckbill

CSR Carbon duckbill
Maxton GT3 lip *currently have OEM GT3 and GT3RS lips*
DP-Motorsports Carbon GT3RS lip
New windshield and trim.
Remove tint

2022 Upgrade list:

380mm 997 GT3 6 pistons fronts
350mm 997 Turbo rears
Full suspension rebuild with GT3 coilovers
Caragraphic Air cup kit
996 GT3RS Front bumper

Last edited by TheChunkNorris; 09-21-2021 at 11:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheChunkNorris:
GC996 (09-21-2021), Norocehcap (01-19-2024)

Popular Reply

12-29-2022, 08:02 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

My girl decided to take a trip to St. Augustine for a family vacation with her 7yr old. Managed to get some tickets for the Brumos Collection Museum in Jacksonville and let me tell you… absolutely recommend you all go if given the chance. Tickets can be purchased online and required for entrance.

The venue is gorgeous and the staff was incredibly kind and helpful. My girl’s kid got some stickers and a little Matchbox car, he loved it. Here are the pics.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:09 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,278 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Thanks for what you do.

Sounds like you have a nice base to build on and have some cool stuff planned.

Can’t wait to see the CSR ducktail. Are you on painting it or carbon/clear ?
Old 02-03-2021, 08:16 PM
SoundnSpeed
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 43 Posts

subscribed...looking forward to future postings regardless of wait time...here's to livin' the dream!
Old 02-03-2021, 08:28 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SoundnSpeed
subscribed...looking forward to future postings regardless of wait time...here's to livin' the dream!
Thanks for the kind words... hopefully I won't need too many other maintenance items that'll interfere with the build timeline.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:29 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,521 Likes on 2,029 Posts

Very cool!
The following users liked this post:
TheChunkNorris (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 08:30 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zbomb
Thanks for what you do.

Sounds like you have a nice base to build on and have some cool stuff planned.

Can’t wait to see the CSR ducktail. Are you on painting it or carbon/clear ?
Thanks brother and I'm looking to paint it while leaving the carbon exposed around the vents. It'll have a weird Outlaw look until it gets painted which is also fine with me.
zbomb (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 11:59 PM
Makoto0406
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Sounds awesome. Could you fire up some before pics. Makes the afters way more satisfying.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:16 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Makoto0406
Sounds awesome. Could you fire up some before pics. Makes the afters way more satisfying.
I'm reusing some photos from my previous posts, unfortunately I didn't take many pics before I left for work and I don't have wifi access where I am.

The following 3 users liked this post by TheChunkNorris:
dmcgill (01-19-2022), Makoto0406 (02-04-2021), Triple Black (11-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 09:21 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,723 Likes on 882 Posts

This will be a fantastic build and love the color - very unique. Between the wheels and the wing it definitely has that GT3 vibe.

The EPS IMS is a great product. I thought my car had the original style LN IMS which I elected to upgrade to the new version. Upon removal we found that it actually had the EPS unit installed. Came out clean and in perfect condition with no play after 55k miles. Have some photos of what it looked like that I can share if you'd like.
DSC800 (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 11:41 AM
Makoto0406
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Beautiful.
TheChunkNorris (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 12:02 PM
sdematt
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 276 Posts

So I have to ask - if you're adding the CSR ducktail, are you selling the Mk2 spoiler?

-Matt
Old 02-04-2021, 12:59 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plpete84
This will be a fantastic build and love the color - very unique. Between the wheels and the wing it definitely has that GT3 vibe.

The EPS IMS is a great product. I thought my car had the original style LN IMS which I elected to upgrade to the new version. Upon removal we found that it actually had the EPS unit installed. Came out clean and in perfect condition with no play after 55k miles. Have some photos of what it looked like that I can share if you'd like.
That's reassuring, the shop does quite a bit of racing and he specializes in these cars so I'm glad to see there are others that have opted to use the EPS.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:01 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sdematt
So I have to ask - if you're adding the CSR ducktail, are you selling the Mk2 spoiler?

-Matt
Thanks for asking I have no intention of selling the MK2, I have lots of storage space in my garage but if I ever did to move it... you're first in line.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:54 PM
DSC800
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by plpete84

Plus 1 here on the EPS bearing after some fairly diligent research. I just installed it myself last month without any problems, along with a clutch set and other "in there" stuff. I questioned EPS the company and even talked to a "non-car guy" engineer about ball vs roller applications. I know the LN bearings have something of a cult following here, but I quickly ruled them out as an option. Far too expensive for what you get and there have been failures of their ball bearing products that are even explained away as "caused by something else". Didn't want to mess with having to send in my old bearing or any expensive "pre-qualification" (other than my own) either. No doubt the EPS bearing is more expensive than it needs to be too as they've all benefited from the paranoia and any warranties are worthless considering the cost of an engine failure.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:15 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,723 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC800
Plus 1 here on the EPS bearing after some fairly diligent research. I just installed it myself last month without any problems, along with a clutch set and other "in there" stuff. I questioned EPS the company and even talked to a "non-car guy" engineer about ball vs roller applications. I know the LN bearings have something of a cult following here, but I quickly ruled them out as an option. Far too expensive for what you get and there have been failures of their ball bearing products that are even explained away as "caused by something else". Didn't want to mess with having to send in my old bearing or any expensive "pre-qualification" (other than my own) either. No doubt the EPS bearing is more expensive than it needs to be too as they've all benefited from the paranoia and any warranties are worthless considering the cost of an engine failure.
Kudos on doing the job yourself. It doesn't seem incredibly hard as long as you have the space, tools and time. I have no problem with the LN bearing as that's what I installed thinking I had the V1 of it but speaking with the shop and examining the EPS unit we were impressed with it and how good it looked. I was a bit confused with the pre-qualification part as I thought it was only required when installing the permanent solution. The retrofit didn't require that and just couldn't be installed as a fix to already failed bearing - I could be wrong there. It seems like with proper care and regular oil changes the EPS can last a long time with no issues.

But don't mean to get the thread off topic. Stoked to see the rest of the build

Quick Reply: Chunks slow build... very slow.