996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Chunks slow build... very slow.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 06:07 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 329 Posts

I remember those pics from the other thread. That is a great color, look forward to seeing some more info and pics of the brakes.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:09 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by plpete84
Kudos on doing the job yourself. It doesn't seem incredibly hard as long as you have the space, tools and time. I have no problem with the LN bearing as that's what I installed thinking I had the V1 of it but speaking with the shop and examining the EPS unit we were impressed with it and how good it looked. I was a bit confused with the pre-qualification part as I thought it was only required when installing the permanent solution. The retrofit didn't require that and just couldn't be installed as a fix to already failed bearing - I could be wrong there. It seems like with proper care and regular oil changes the EPS can last a long time with no issues.

But don't mean to get the thread off topic. Stoked to see the rest of the build
To be honest, I didn't know there were other options than LN. My buddy said he just liked the idea of more surface contact on the shaft (that's what she said) and he's had zero issues. Think either are perfect for the purpose they're intended to serve but feel a little better knowing other people here have used them as well.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:12 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by motoo344
I remember those pics from the other thread. That is a great color, look forward to seeing some more info and pics of the brakes.
Sadly I wish I had more pics and thanks.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:51 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris

Sheeeeeesh. This looks awesome!!!!!!

Curious to hear your thoughts/experience with the IPD plenum kit + 997 Airbox setup.
The following users liked this post:
riteoff (11-18-2022)
Old 02-05-2021, 01:26 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by e30rapidic
Sheeeeeesh. This looks awesome!!!!!!

Curious to hear your thoughts/experience with the IPD plenum kit + 997 Airbox setup.
From what I understand it should be a tad "louder" and along with my Fister modded exhaust... should sound amazing.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:44 PM
golock911
Rennlist Member

Received 974 Likes on 433 Posts

Good looking car. And it will only get better. Good plan and good work. Don't worry about the speed of things.I think I'm the slowest one at getting things done... Take your time and do it right.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:33 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by golock911
Good looking car. And it will only get better. Good plan and good work. Don't worry about the speed of things.I think I'm the slowest one at getting things done... Take your time and do it right.
Thank you, already started looking at phase two which will be solely the interior.. I'm watching Ryan's build and hope the Kydex set up works for the panel. Just found out the damn steering wheel I wanted has been discontinued but found some other options which aren't too bad. The crazy part between this build vs my previous major build is the availability of parts. I had parts on my Z that were HKS prototype parts, they sold off all their stock when they closed HKS USA the first time so anything I needed for the Supercharger and brakes were all special order from Japan. I had to wait 14 months for a hood and front bumper and 8 months of those were it sitting in the US waiting to be cleared by customs. With all that said, the 996 parts are available but it's just a matter of how deep you're willing to go in regards to paying for certain things.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:36 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

I know it's a shot in the dark but does anyone have a lead on some GT3RS carbon side mirrors? I'd be happy with some OEM Porsche Cup Side mirrors if possible.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:55 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

In port now so I’ll add some pics I had. The garage is a mess but will be cleaned back up once I get back. I had 3 days to get my bags packed.

The following 3 users liked this post by TheChunkNorris:
85eurocarrera (02-17-2021), plpete84 (02-17-2021), zbomb (02-16-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 12:18 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Update to this thread.

Finally stateside but won't be home until Thursday night and apparently Miami is full of crazy Spring Breakers so wish me luck! Simon from RPM Technik gets back in the office on the 29th so I'll be ordering the wing then. Rims and tires are on the way and might have them powder coated a liquid silver graphite. Only let down is I decided not to use Girodisks for now, the rear rotors are in good condition so I'll just get drilled rotors for the front but at some point I'll be replacing them with slotted units. Martin is a cool dude and he'll be sending his kit within the next couple of days and the intake items will be at my house next week. Need to get the garage situated so I plan on starting the car at the end of the month.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:47 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,297 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Welcome back brother ! Hope you only run into the kind of spring breakers I would want to run into

Excited to see what you planned for a very nice car.
TheChunkNorris (03-28-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 03:08 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zbomb
Welcome back brother ! Hope you only run into the kind of spring breakers I would want to run into

Excited to see what you planned for a very nice car.
My girlfriend on the other hand... would absolutely murder me.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:39 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Ok after a long... long long time away from land... I'm finally at home. Martin's kit arrived over the weekend as well as the headers. Right now I'm waiting for exhaust mani gaskets and studs, I told my Indie that I'd like all the studs replaced when he does the header swap. Safelite is coming on the 3rd to replace the windshield because it's sandblasted to hell! The project will officially start when I leave the car at Limitless Motorsports here in Miami. The rims/tires get here next week! The first real task is paint correction, the car is very very clean but does have some light oxidation and swirls. You can absolutely tell this car wasn't garaged it's whole life and that it was regularly clean via a carwash. It'll be an easy, albeit tedious job which will proceed with:

- Wash and strip all the wax(I don't think there is any but hey... gotta do it)
- Clay bar
- Tape off plastic trim and lights(avoid getting product splattered everywhere)
- Chemical Guys C4
- Chemical Guys P4
- Chemical Guys Carbon Force Ceramic coating

This will roughly take about 4hrs if I don't mess around and get side tracked which is pretty easily done sometimes. Thank god the car is small and void of many edges that trap water, C4 & P4 is marketed to leave very little powder on removal so we'll see. I still use a chamois for drying and use a small blower for seams and gaps to get the water out, it's done in a garage so no rush to get things done. Below you can see the areas, the whole car is this way but it'll be easy.

Here's what Cassie the Carrera looks like in her Slate Gray goodness. The interior is beautiful except for the passenger door handle but it was included in the sale, it'll get fixed eventually because those bastards are absurdly expensive. The patina on the carbon is just amazing to me. The interior will get some Alcantara upgrades in the near future, the combo of the carbon and Alcantara should be nice. Engine bay needs to be cleaned but that's a future Joel problem.

Last edited by TheChunkNorris; 03-28-2021 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Florida education system... English is hard
The following 2 users liked this post by TheChunkNorris:
85eurocarrera (03-28-2021), imhighlander (08-24-2022)
Old 03-28-2021, 07:53 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,297 Likes on 1,814 Posts

I'm a sucker for those GT3 wheels, car looks really, really good.

The carbon too, just a really nice car... You selling the GT3 wheels ? not like I have the money for them but I do dream of mounting up a set of wets on some GT3 reps painted some stupid color.
TheChunkNorris (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 08:02 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zbomb
I'm a sucker for those GT3 wheels, car looks really, really good.

The carbon too, just a really nice car... You selling the GT3 wheels ? not like I have the money for them but I do dream of mounting up a set of wets on some GT3 reps painted some stupid color.
They aren't for sale at the moment but maybe one day! Man I kinda wish I would've gotten the red OZ's but oh well, at least these are GT3 fitment.
PASSMORE (07-25-2021)

Quick Reply: Chunks slow build... very slow.