Sponsored by:

Chunks slow build... very slow.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 03:51 PM
Mpfaff
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by plpete84
That makes sense. My X51 motor was replaced at about 25k miles, most likely due to a filed IMS. I may need to talk to my shop and do some more networking to see if I can get some more info out of Porsche.

Why? So he can be enlightened that LN is the only choice out there and everything else stinks, having no actual experience? My EPS roller bearing came out in perfect condition after about 50k miles. Could have very well stayed in. I have yet to hear of any issues using the procedure EPS has developed for closed engines.
I didn’t infer anything about LN being the only choice...
Old 04-20-2021, 04:09 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,629 Likes on 2,092 Posts

The great thing about this forum, is that there are more than one way to skin a cat. I have the LN retro Ims. It's worked beautifully.

Be interested to see how Chunk's enhancements work out. Go for it Chunk. Keep us posted.
The following 2 users liked this post by GC996:
plpete84 (04-20-2021), TheChunkNorris (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 05:25 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 1,905 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
The great thing about this forum, is that there are more than one way to skin a cat. I have the LN retro Ims. It's worked beautifully.

Be interested to see how Chunk's enhancements work out. Go for it Chunk. Keep us posted.
On a lighter note, the IDP plenum kit arrived today.
The following users liked this post:
GC996 (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 05:42 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,282 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Nice - you do you Joel... you've got good vision for the build, aint no stranger to modifying cars... what you have in the works...gonna be dope.
TheChunkNorris (04-21-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 07:47 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zbomb
Nice - you do you Joel... you've got good vision for the build, aint no stranger to modifying cars... what you have in the works...gonna be dope.
Thank you and all the planned upgrades for this phase will be completed sans the wing so I’m pretty happy. Hopefully the wing will be ready by the time I leave again in July. The brake upgrade should be pretty easy and a necessity at this point. Next phase will be the suspension refresh and the DP carbon lip. I really really want the RPM Technik center exhaust but we’re almost a $3k and I’d need a rear bumper.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:12 PM
Mpfaff
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

I read back thru the thread and realized you had already green lighted the EPS bearing,then i posted my reply.My apologies,that’s not my style.Continued success with build.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:20 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mpfaff
I read back thru the thread and realized you had already green lighted the EPS bearing,then i posted my reply.My apologies,that’s not my style.Continued success with build.
No worries at all and I welcome all types of dialogue so you’re good and thank you.
Mpfaff (04-20-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 08:15 AM
nrp3
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

I have to say watching that video, that it's a clever way to extract that later bearing. I guess I'd be worried about cleanliness and that all of those shavings got out. Then again, this hobby won't progress without some risk taking by us and the manufacturers.
plpete84 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 09:07 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
On a lighter note, the IDP plenum kit arrived today.
Be good to hear if you get any performance enhancement from the plenum. I got the competition plenum and GT3 throttle body years ago. I didn't get any enhancement in the butt meter nor in a dino test. It moved the sweet spot for power up the powerband slightly, which forced me to change my shifting a bit around certain tracks where I had to wind it up a bit to keep in the powerband, but didn't notice any additional power. But it looks great and sounds awesome. Still scratching my head as to if I should have used the money for an extra set of brake pads instead.

Don't know if there is a secret to getting more performance from the plenum/throttle body. Specific software, exhaust system, don't know. Maybe one of the tech experts can comment.

I was and still am running Revo software and FVD 200 cats and muffler. Maybe I need to put a racing stripe on the car and it will all come together with 10 extra HP? 🤪
Old 04-21-2021, 10:24 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,749 Likes on 889 Posts

One of the guys with a 40th anniversary car fitted the IPD plenum and provided some feedback and data that I thought y'all might find useful...*copied from our FB group"

"just finished fitting an IPD plenum to Tonto, my anniversary #636, need to get it dyno'd but seat of the pants dyno says it has noticeable increased mid range grunt, most noticeable in 6th on the motorway where it just picks up so fast in 6th, at speeds , it has made a noticeable improvement so v happy indeed, i decided to pull the trigger as this upgrade would, i feel compliment the X51 engine package, in fact the IPD website says we don't need the GT3 throttle body to make the most of the upgrade, whereas lesser 996's do."

"when I contacted IPD before buying mine they told me they used a X51 car to develop the plenum and the same one is sold for the non X51 cars. The part numbers are different so they can track sales."

"I dyno’d mine and then fitted the IPD Plenum while the car was still strapped down to the roller. Went from 347.7 bhp to 356.5 peak."

​​​​​​​
So it sounds like there are some gains to be had for sure and the benefits might be most visible with a GT3 throttle body on your car. I suppose this is because of the intake. I have some photos of the inside of an X51 intake after removing mine for UAOS install if anyone wants to see... And heck the IPD looks fantastic in there and I'd be damned if I never modified my car for aesthetics Probably looks even better with an all aluminium manifolds!
Old 04-21-2021, 10:37 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

One of the guys with a 40th anniversary car fitted the IPD plenum and provided some feedback and data that I thought y'all might find useful...*copied from our FB group"

"just finished fitting an IPD plenum to Tonto, my anniversary #636, need to get it dyno'd but seat of the pants dyno says it has noticeable increased mid range grunt, most noticeable in 6th on the motorway where it just picks up so fast in 6th, at speeds , it has made a noticeable improvement so v happy indeed, i decided to pull the trigger as this upgrade would, i feel compliment the X51 engine package, in fact the IPD website says we don't need the GT3 throttle body to make the most of the upgrade, whereas lesser 996's do."

"when I contacted IPD before buying mine they told me they used a X51 car to develop the plenum and the same one is sold for the non X51 cars. The part numbers are different so they can track sales."

"I dyno’d mine and then fitted the IPD Plenum while the car was still strapped down to the roller. Went from 347.7 bhp to 356.5 peak."

So it sounds like there are some gains to be had for sure and the benefits might be most visible with a GT3 throttle body on your car. I suppose this is because of the intake. I have some photos of the inside of an X51 intake after removing mine for UAOS install if anyone wants to see... And heck the IPD looks fantastic in there and I'd be damned if I never modified my car for aesthetics Probably looks even better with an all aluminium manifolds!
plpete,

Good feedback on the X51. Question is how do you get more out of the non X51. I wish I had a copy of the dyno that was done on my car, but I don't. However, no improvement was had with a GT3 throttle body, competition plenum, Revo software, fvd 200 cell cats and FVD muffler.

Someone has to have a secret to what exhaust and software set-up is needed to get more power?

as a side note, I did get improvement from the Revo software with more throttle response, and more midrange pull from the FVD exhaust. Both of which were put on the car quite a few years before the TB/PL.

​​​​​​​Full disclosure; I am just a 2002 996 C2 owner for 19 years that is not in the car industry. Instead, I am ust looking for the optimal set-up.

Last edited by GC996; 04-21-2021 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:50 AM
plpete84
Drifting

That's a good question that I unfortunately don't have an answer to. Could it be down to the manifolds? Maybe. Is there enough difference in how the regular flows vs X51? Would swapping those in make enough of a difference or are there other things at play? Possibly.

IPD does post dyno graphs on their site but it's noted that it was on a car with fairly low mileage of 27,000mi so I don't know if that would affect numbers vs on a car with say 80,000mi. As we just saw, their graph is showing an increase of 24hp vs 9hp from the graph above. One could contact them to find out more and see if anything else was done to the car or if it was just the plenum and not a single thing more.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:04 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

That's a good question that I unfortunately don't have an answer to. Could it be down to the manifolds? Maybe. Is there enough difference in how the regular flows vs X51? Would swapping those in make enough of a difference or are there other things at play? Possibly.

IPD does post dyno graphs on their site but it's noted that it was on a car with fairly low mileage of 27,000mi so I don't know if that would affect numbers vs on a car with say 80,000mi. As we just saw, their graph is showing an increase of 24hp vs 9hp from the graph above. One could contact them to find out more and see if anything else was done to the car or if it was just the plenum and not a single thing more.
Appreciate the response.

What's funny is that if you add up all of the potential gains that are advertised for bolt on parts such as software, intakes, exhaust systems, etc., we would all be running 360 HP in our cars. But we're not. I'll even take just 10 HP which I really doubt that it exists.

Unless someone has the secret sauce for a normally aspirated non-X51 engine, looks like the only solution to truly enhance the output is to rebuild. Obviously, making it lighter will help as well. This is not a knock on the car. I love it and would buy it all over again. It's me waking up this morning thinking about track season and looking for a couple of seconds where I can find them.

Last edited by GC996; 04-21-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:34 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Originally Posted by GC996
Appreciate the response.

What's funny is that if you add up all of the potential gains that are advertised for bolt on parts such as software, intakes, exhaust systems, etc., we would all be running 360 HP in our cars. But we're not. I'll even take just 10 HP which I really doubt that it exists.

Unless someone has the secret sauce for a normally aspirated non-X51 engine, looks like the only solution to truly enhance the output is to rebuild. Obviously, making it lighter will help as well. This is not a knock on the car. I love it and would buy it all over again. It's me waking up this morning thinking about track season and looking for a couple of seconds where I can find them.
You got it my man! IPD does mention that the car does require some driving for proper ECU adaptation post install so perhaps those numbers can be reached or get closed to, provided that your car is in solid shape over all. For me at least, and perhaps others, part of this game is not so much the HP chasing game but more so the process of modifying the cars and enjoying them as they were intended....which is why I'm looking forward to seeing Chuck's build take shape as it seems to be hitting all the right marks mechanically and aesthetically.
GC996 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 11:41 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

You got it my man! IPD does mention that the car does require some driving for proper ECU adaptation post install so perhaps those numbers can be reached or get closed to, provided that your car is in solid shape over all. For me at least, and perhaps others, part of this game is not so much the HP chasing game but more so the process of modifying the cars and enjoying them as they were intended....which is why I'm looking forward to seeing Chuck's build take shape as it seems to be hitting all the right marks mechanically and aesthetically.
Me as well.

Quick Reply: Chunks slow build... very slow.