Sponsored by:

991 GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 01:17 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 424 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
......Apparently some dealers are not ordering the GT cars for customers and therefore do not have names attached which is skewing the production numbers needed by Porsche to make the case to add production capacity.
With this Internet and whatnot, I wonder if there could be a system in place where customers could simply place their order and deposit with the manufacturer, rather than the dealer?

Old 08-31-2017, 01:45 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I love the drama and reading all about 1st world problems.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:07 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
With this Internet and whatnot, I wonder if there could be a system in place where customers could simply place their order and deposit with the manufacturer, rather than the dealer?

makes too much sense, seriously is this how you want to treat your most affluent customers, I also dont think the forums should allow anyone to advertise any car with ADM, I think all deposits should be non refundable and I think no dealers should be allowed to build a GT2RS for stock, they all need to have a customer attached, I hope tomorrow Porsche announces they will build as many needed to satisfy demand
Old 08-31-2017, 02:08 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Not a chance
Old 08-31-2017, 02:15 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Huh?...then why have dealers?..I know some would prefer that but no way that would ever happen or work out for all the other car sales. dealer thrive on getting GT cars...it's like a reward for them. Plus that GT buyer comes in with the wife or also wants a everyday car and buys a Macan too...
Old 08-31-2017, 02:21 PM
Warren99
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 125 Posts

If you read Sam's post it said 301 outside the VIP allocations coming to the US. If you have 200 VIPs or is getting cars that would be around 500 coming to the US. I don't know how many VIPs are getting cars but I just took Sam's post as saying 301 allocations beyond VIP cars. Still not a lot of cars though. Good thing I don't have the money to buy one anyway I guess 😉
Old 08-31-2017, 02:44 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by dark knight
I also dont think the forums should allow anyone to advertise any car with ADM,
Legally in the USA a dealer...or any business can sell product one on one to a customer at any price above or below MSRP they want.

The manufacture legally can only put a stipulation on what a product can be ADVERTISED at...that is called MAP (minimum advertised price). That is deemed by the US government law as legal to do in order to protect the manufacture...not the dealer...products so that no misconception of what a product is worth.

A manufacture can not tell a dealer (reseller) they can not sell a product at above or below or stabilize a price at MSRP...that is illegal and called price fixing.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:53 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Huh?...then why have dealers?..I know some would prefer that but no way that would ever happen or work out for all the other car sales. dealer thrive on getting GT cars...it's like a reward for them. Plus that GT buyer comes in with the wife or also wants a everyday car and buys a Macan too...
In Toronto, Porsche Canada opened up a dealership.. and it's pissing off the other dealers.. could be a good thing for the customers... time will tell though.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:56 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
In Toronto, Porsche Canada opened up a dealership.. and it's pissing off the other dealers.. could be a good thing for the customers... time will tell though.
The dealership is actually owned by the manufacturer?.....sure about that?
Old 08-31-2017, 03:08 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
The dealership is actually owned by the manufacturer?.....sure about that?
Yes, I was shocked. It just opened earlier this year.. Literally a stones throw from my old home. The local dealers are rumored to have launched a law suit in protest.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:22 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
A manufacture can not tell a dealer (reseller) they can not sell a product at above or below or stabilize a price at MSRP...that is illegal and called price fixing.
I hope I'm not coming across as confrontational; but, I know of a case where the manufacturer did tell the dealer to sell the car at MSRP.

In fact, it's a case where the manufacturer wanted to make sure the car ended up on the track and not in the hands of a flipper. That objective should sound familiar since it is, also, a recently stated goal of the person who runs (I think) Porsche GT production, Andreas Preuninger.

The manufacturer was BMW, the car was the M4 GTS. Following a customer screening process, I believe by BMWNA, an invitation to buy the car was sent directly to the customer. Part of the invitation included the purchase of the car at MSRP, from any dealer the customer wanted.

I know one can debate whether or not this constitutes "telling the dealer;" but, the point I would make is - if the manufacturer, seriously, wants to sell something at MSRP, there are ways around what are considered "normal" or even legal sales constraints. Again, IMO.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:26 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
I hope I'm not coming across as confrontational; but, I know of a case where the manufacturer did tell the dealer to sell the car at MSRP.

In fact, it's a case where the manufacturer wanted to make sure the car ended up on the track and not in the hands of a flipper. That objective should sound familiar since it is, also, a recently stated goal of the person who runs (I think) Porsche GT production, Andreas Preuninger.

The manufacturer was BMW, the car was the M4 GTS. Following a customer screening process, I believe by BMWNA, an invitation to buy the car was sent directly to the customer. Part of the invitation included the purchase of the car at MSRP, from any dealer the customer wanted.

I know one can debate whether or not this constitutes "telling the dealer;" but, the point I would make is - if the manufacturer, seriously, wants to sell something at MSRP, there are ways around what are considered "normal" or even legal sales constraints. Again, IMO.
New Ford GT similar.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:40 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

I don't think you could buy an LFA from a Lexus dealer either. I saw someone put an order in, or what we were told was an order, through a corporate event in NY, they lived in TX. In addition the 918 wasn't sold through dealers. It was delivered through dealers, but not sold through them. It can be done, but only appears to be done for the uber expense cars by brand. Except for Tesla. But they have their own issues to deal with regarding some state regulations.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:09 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Nope not confrontational at all...just discussing here...yep what BMW is highly illegal if that is what really happened.

Now the dealer can turn down offers at what ever price and only say they will sell at MSRP...but if the manufacture tells them they can only sell at MSRP then..collusion, anti trust price fixing issues are happening.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:17 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, you can now buy a brand new GTS from the dealer for less than MSRP. Some are available for $15K less than MSRP.

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS