Notices

GT350

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:29 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 138 Posts

dealers in my area are taking a bath on these... I'm waiting on Winter to start my search.
One second hand dealer had a 2016 R listed at $199k CAD as of a few weeks ago.. lmfao.. he has corrected the price @ $109k CAD which is still +MSRP.
Lots of other options coming out of Detroit now and these ford dealers who thought they could play the ADM game, are now eating hardy amounts of crow.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:09 AM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

I appreciate this very interesting thread on the GT350 in the GT3 forum... I have started following the GT350 thing for a while now, reading about it on various forums and taking a couple for test drives. Dealers are now finally getting real on the pricing and even some used ones are available at better prices.

On a serious note I have my 2017 Carrera S up for sale because I have been thinking about making the move toward a more raw sports car.

My kids are at the point where a back seat in a 911 is essentially worthless because they are too big. So...

I only have room for one sports car. My choices are to keep my 17 C2S or sell and get a GT350 which would put a chunk of change in the bank that could be used for upgrades...like track wheels and tires and other fun things or...go long and get a 991.1 GT3. I have to admit that I've had a long standing love affair with that ridiculous wing on that back of the GT3. The GT3 also seems to be the standard by which most other sports cars are judged.

The car would mostly be used for back and forth to work and around town. I've been to a few driving schools and I want to start to get into autocross and some HPDE days now that my kids are getting older. I already do some kart racing with my kids...which I should prob just stick to since it is the cheapest form of motorsport racing available.

I do most of my own maintenance work...oil changes, brake pads, etc.

My concerns with the GT350...reports of burning a lot oil and some engines being replaced. Makes me wonder how durable these engines will be over the long haul and will it be possible to get a replacement engine in 10 years considering the limited production run. Friend co drives an R and complains of High oil temps, and differential temps while on track even with coolers. Interior is kind of blah, although not the most important thing to me. The Porsche interiors have kind of ruined me on other cars now.

My concerns with the 991.1 GT3...being stuck with a broken engine outside of warranty and have Porsche tell me I'm paying for it on my own. I am referring to the rocker/follower issue.

I have to admit I am a little concerned about the cost of ownership of a GT3 over the long haul and trashing one on a racetrack. Also it is harder to hide a GT3 in public vs a GT350 which most people just see as another mustang.

What are you guys opinions? Should I make this a separate post in the GT3 forum?
Old 08-21-2017, 11:13 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven991
I appreciate this very interesting thread on the GT350 in the GT3 forum... I have started following the GT350 thing for a while now, reading about it on various forums and taking a couple for test drives. Dealers are now finally getting real on the pricing and even some used ones are available at better prices.

On a serious note I have my 2017 Carrera S up for sale because I have been thinking about making the move toward a more raw sports car.

My kids are at the point where a back seat in a 911 is essentially worthless because they are too big. So...

I only have room for one sports car. My choices are to keep my 17 C2S or sell and get a GT350 which would put a chunk of change in the bank that could be used for upgrades...like track wheels and tires and other fun things or...go long and get a 991.1 GT3. I have to admit that I've had a long standing love affair with that ridiculous wing on that back of the GT3. The GT3 also seems to be the standard by which most other sports cars are judged.

The car would mostly be used for back and forth to work and around town. I've been to a few driving schools and I want to start to get into autocross and some HPDE days now that my kids are getting older. I already do some kart racing with my kids...which I should prob just stick to since it is the cheapest form of motorsport racing available.

My concerns with the GT350...reports of burning a lot oil and some engines being replaced. Makes me wonder how durable these engines will be over the long haul and will it be possible to get a replacement engine in 10 years considering the limited production run. Friend co drives an R and complains of High oil temps, and differential temps while on track even with coolers. Interior is kind of blah, although not the most important thing to me. The Porsche interiors have kind of ruined me on other cars now.

My concerns with the 991.1 GT3...being stuck with a broken engine outside of warranty and have Porsche tell me I'm paying for it on my own. I am referring to the rocker/follower issue.

I have to admit I am a little concerned about the cost of ownership of a GT3 over the long haul and trashing one on a racetrack.
Also it is harder to hide a GT3 in public vs a GT350 which most people just see as another mustang.

What are you guys opinions? Should I make this a separate post in the GT3 forum?
Read to ease your mind on .1 GT3

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ouncement.html
Old 08-21-2017, 11:27 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 281 Posts

Gt350 had a nice role in Logan Lucky. Looked good in blue.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:38 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I have to admit I am a little concerned about the cost of ownership of a GT3 over the long haul and trashing one on a racetrack. Also it is harder to hide a GT3 in public vs a GT350 which most people just see as another mustang.

As i've told others, a GT350 makes a fantastic addition to a stable but it does not replace a Porsche.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:29 PM
Driven991
Racer

Thanks for the input guys. I somehow missed that thread regarding Porsche stepping up on the GT3. That is fantastic!!
Old 08-21-2017, 03:03 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 259 Posts

^^This is like seeing a guy be told he's going to be a father. So much happiness! haha
Old 08-21-2017, 07:20 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I have both a 2016 GT3 and a 2017 GT350R. The GT350R is a pretty special car. I too love the manual and rawness of the car. It is incredibly capable and a very rewarding. I have not driven many cars like it.

Also, I would not discount the GT350R in any regards even compared to the 991 GT3. This is a Porsche forum so you will likely have more Porsche fanfare compared to the Shelby. I find myself grabbing the keys to the Shelby more than the GT3. In fact, I have only put about 800 miles on the GT3 this summer compared to 2,000 on the Shelby. Both cars for me have been flawless. My Shelby has not burned any oil and it runs like a top. If you are looking for a dual purpose, raw experience, the Shelby should be strongly considered.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:38 PM
jmg3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by jmg3; 05-30-2021 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:39 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by jmg3
1 - off topic
2 - that entire parking lot could have used some napalm. Embarrassing.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:25 AM
Driven991
Racer

Alevine,

Appreciate your input.

I would like a car I can mess around on a little bit and not worry about affecting its resale too much. Mentally, I'm more comfortable wrenching on a Ford than a Porsche. I don't know why but with my current 911 I am always worried about nicking the paint or scratching the wheels, etc. Takes a little fun out of the ownership experience.

The 911 is a great joy to drive.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:56 AM
jmg3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by jmg3; 05-30-2021 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:25 AM
Para82
Race Car

Alevine,

Appreciate your input.

I would like a car I can mess around on a little bit and not worry about affecting its resale too much. Mentally, I'm more comfortable wrenching on a Ford than a Porsche. I don't know why but with my current 911 I am always worried about nicking the paint or scratching the wheels, etc. Takes a little fun out of the ownership experience.

The 911 is a great joy to drive.
You would love the GT350 then, you can read how much fun I had with the car in this thread as well as other owners. It's easily one of the greatest sport coupes to come out of Detroit in decades and they compliment a Porsche in the garage very well.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:31 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jmg3
on topic
1. Still out of context...
2. Not the car's fault...
3. Driver idiot no doubt...
4. Driver mod badly needed...
5. Stop hating...

On topic & in context here...

Old 08-22-2017, 10:35 AM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by jeff33702
1 - off topic
2 - that entire parking lot could have used some napalm. Embarrassing.
GBU-38 dropped on that parking lot would of done the entire country a favor.

Quick Reply: GT350