Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 S Project Coming

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 02:13 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

So the seats are off to the upholsterer and I just picked up a nice 997.2 Paddle shift steering wheel. The wheel is in Carrera Red so will need to be restitched. Also dropping off the car hopefully next week for some painting work.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:02 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

YO man...thumbs up!!! alls well and all like that...
Old 03-05-2017, 12:49 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Any recommendations for some good steering wheel re-stitchers? I can send the wheel out so don't have to be local but would prefer in California or orange County even. Also paint shops and seat upholstery. I definitely will give venders on our site first crack at it. I did get someone to look at the car paint yesterday at the meeting. The two fenders and the front bumper will need to be painted the color of the car. The hood may need to be sprayed just to match the colors. One tech said try to keep as much of the original paint as possible. Hoping the seat setup along with the paddle wheel will give my car a bit of my own uniqueness and style to set it apart. Looking to also get thicker strut bar like an Eibach or GMG. My goal is a very tight suspension. I am also looking for some wevo engine mounts. I'll be combing the classifieds for interesting parts.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:10 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Ledermanz out of Latvia does good work. Obviously far away from you, but good work and decent prices. I paid €700 shipped for a wheel completely to my spec, he supplied it and thus no downtime or having to wait for the wheel to get there and come back. I can PM his email address if interested.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:04 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Thanks, in touch with Ledermanz, hope it goes well. I really like your wheel Saaboteur. Would like one exactly like that except Cocoa Brown.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:52 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

I see a couple airbags on Craigslist form a panamera 12,13,14,15,16. One Tan and the other Black. they are a good price. However can the color of the airbag be changed or covered up? I really need a Cocoa airbag.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:24 AM
spaghetto
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ocmacman
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!
Thank you RL members and God bless you all. Saaboteur reached out to me in the early morning and voila! He was spot on. I checked the engine grounding strap this morning about 7:45am. I also checked for any coolant leaks and any oil leaks. No leaks. That was a relief.

Now back to the engine strap. It was not tighten all the way. My helper had connected this part and while I was tightening it I remembered we didn't' torque or tighten everything down as we were still working on the install. So I tightened it up a bit and crossed my fingers, said a short prayer, wished for peace in the Middle East and that everyone would get along with our new president and hit the switch. Ok, wait for it.....

I am trying to get the video uploaded..back shortly.

Can you tell me where the engine ground strap is located?
Old 03-10-2017, 10:58 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spaghetto
Can you tell me where the engine ground strap is located?
The engine ground strap is located on a 2005-2008 997.1 above the the rear passenger side wheel attached to the car. I have a pic in my thread.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:04 PM
spaghetto
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The engine ground strap is located on a 2005-2008 997.1 above the the rear passenger side wheel attached to the car. I have a pic in my thread.
Thanks!

I'll have a look for it after work. Wasn't able to find the pic in your thread.

When do you expect to get your seats back? Can't wait to see how they look.

Got my First P car a few months ago and currently chasing out some bugs.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:21 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Spaghetto, I am still looking for an upholsterer. The car goes into paint shop on Thursday. Looks like I don't need to get the whole car painted. The two front fenders and the bumper are a full on paint. The hood and the rest of the car is a "fix" the paint and correct the paint process. A friend who just got his Mercedes CLS 550 referred the shop in local Los Angeles area.

The steering wheel is also an area that I am mulling over. I do want the paddles but the cost of restitching is pretty high. Here in the US it's 500.00 usd plus. Overseas it's 300.00 plus. I am toying with the idea of buying the leather and restitching it myself. I am pretty handy. Finding Cocoa leather is really hard. Can I order the leather from anyone? Porsche? etc. Finding a Cocoa airbag is even harder. I am staring to wonder if a brown wheel on black airbag would look ok.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:15 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Yesterday I had my car up on jacks to install the two diagonal struct braces. When I turned the jack to lower the car on the passenger side, the jack dropped the car very suddenly ( I was using a friends jack not mine) and now I get a headlight beam adjustment error on the dash. Did I break something? I'll have to try to remove the headlights and see if anything resets. Will not use my friends jack again. It dropped my rear like a rocket. Fortunately the car was only up about 16 inches.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:38 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Yesterday I had my car up on jacks to install the two diagonal struct braces. When I turned the jack to lower the car on the passenger side, the jack dropped the car very suddenly ( I was using a friends jack not mine) and now I get a headlight beam adjustment error on the dash. Did I break something? I'll have to try to remove the headlights and see if anything resets. Will not use my friends jack again. It dropped my rear like a rocket. Fortunately the car was only up about 16 inches.
This is probably due to a sensor I'd noticed before. I'm betting that the sensor the car uses to detect the orientation of the car on the chassis was either broken or dislodged. I'm trying to find exactly where it is, but it looks like this photo I've found. It is in the back suspension area and attaches to the suspension and the chassis to detect their relative offset. If I can find a better photo of its location I'll post that.

Last edited by StormRune; 03-14-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:49 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

If I'm right, here's a link to the parts related to that on the Gaudin Porsche site: http://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/oe...he/99763112100

Here's the image from the Gaudin site, I'm thinking you'll find something wrong with part 2 or 7 if you dropped the rear, or 1 or 6 if you dropped the front.

Here's a thread with a photo of one as well (although I have a hard time making out quite where that is): https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ent-fault.html
Old 03-14-2017, 12:52 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I went out tonight and removed the headlight and reinstalled it and the message went away. I then noticed that the button to open the hood was not working. I pulled up on it and it felt loose. The rear trunk works fine. Now when I got the car smoged, I heard the tech let the hood slam down really loud. Damn I hate when people work on my car. I yelled hey don't drop the hood like that. Well I don't know but maybe he broke my switch? Well, now I have to get another one. I know this is not a difficult DiY but pissed the stupid smog tech dropped my hood so hard
Old 03-14-2017, 01:12 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,472 Likes on 4,122 Posts

Thanks. I went out tonight and removed the headlight and reinstalled it and the message went away. I then noticed that the button to open the hood was not working. I pulled up on it and it felt loose. The rear trunk works fine. Now when I got the car smoged, I heard the tech let the hood slam down really loud. Damn I hate when people work on my car. I yelled hey don't drop the hood like that. Well I don't know but maybe he broke my switch? Well, now I have to get another one. I know this is not a difficult DiY but pissed the stupid smog tech dropped my hood so hard
The front hood release switch at the Driver's door is a known weak spot on these cars. It's possible that someone lifted the switch a little too vigorously and broke the plastic, or that the tech damaged something in the hood latch mechanism itself when dropping it. You might want to lightly press and "jiggle" the hood while someone else tries the switch a couple times as maybe the latch is binding or something got bent when he dropped it. If you can get it to release, you might be able to see what's wrong and correct it. Also, on the subject of closing the hood, never push on the crest, as I've seen some people suggest - you can bend the hood or snap the mounting pins off the back of the crest from the flex.

Also, regarding your headlight error that has now gone away. On the 997.1, you can force the headlights to do a self-leveling and alignment cycle by first turning the headlight switch all the way to the right, and then cycling the key to the auxiliary position where the dash lignts come one. I don't know if on the 997.2 they automatically run the self-adjust routine each time they're turned on or if you have to force them like on the 997.1, but you might want to give it a try to make sure they're properly readjusted and that nothing is damaged with the control modules or linkages detailed in the prior post.

Quick Reply: 997 S Project Coming