Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1983 Porsche 944 Garage find (29 yr hibernation)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 04:53 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
AND the rear wing on the C/S. Kind of a higher, modified version of the bridge spoiler usually seen on some very late turbos, Stuttgart built 968s, and the final 944S2 built there as well.
That C/S is wearing [what appears to be] a factory turbo RS rear spoiler.

My understanding is the standard bridge spoiler was fitted to all 968s, the '91 S2, and most/all ROW '90 and '91 944 turbos.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:16 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Scott, as mentioned, those were the factory option to the standard ATS cookies for '84-'86 944s.

If you take a look, they should be factory 911 wheels with part numbers 911.361.020.41 and 911.361.020.42, front and rear, respectively.
Yes - I have confirmed the part numbers. I didn't feel like copying the whole numbers to my post. It is possible they were fitted as standard equipment when our 86 was sold. The previous owner indicated there were no other wheels that came with it when he purchased it.

Steve - I have a compressor kit. It looks to be unused. I don't think it has the cardboard box, and I have not attempted to use it so I don't know if it is functional. If you want to come out sometime - when I get the wheels out - you can certainly have a look at the compressor kit if interested.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:04 PM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Yes - I have confirmed the part numbers. I didn't feel like copying the whole numbers to my post. It is possible they were fitted as standard equipment when our 86 was sold. The previous owner indicated there were no other wheels that came with it when he purchased it.

Steve - I have a compressor kit. It looks to be unused. I don't think it has the cardboard box, and I have not attempted to use it so I don't know if it is functional. If you want to come out sometime - when I get the wheels out - you can certainly have a look at the compressor kit if interested.

I will take you up on that offer. PM me when ready.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:56 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Incorrect.

8"x16" et23 Fuchs were never fitted to any 911 from the factory. 911 Carreras were originally fitted with 6" et35 [front] and 7" et23 [rear] 16" Fuchs. Somewhere in the MY88/MY89 run, the factory fitted an 8" et10 x 16" to the rear.

And the only 944-chassis fitted with an 8"x16" et23 Fuchs by the factory was the '86 944 turbo.
I may not have made myself as clear as I should have. I am not stating the 911 or 944 CAME with this fitment ever. I am stating the wheels were available over the parts counter new in variations of sizing, and they were also made available thru wheel sellers/restorers such as Robert Wood ( to later become Wheel Enhancement ). Many mismatched and incorrect offsets and sizings were placed on our cars by those wishing to provide a different look or a wider , larger size.
This process continues today in all it's varieties. Thus the need for forum discussions such as this to correct or uphold history and originality.

Thanks for providing the moment to clarify, Allen.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:02 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

CTK

How did that turn out with the air compressor ?

I have been spending the last couple of months in Florida, searching for that elusive item at various swap meets and badgering contacts I have made over the years. As well as escaping snow and cold and enjoying all things car related. Or Racing related. Or motorcycles and baseball.
Sand. Some ocean life, and definitely eating some Gulf Shrimp.
Daily.

My helper HOBO isn't with me, or he would have already sniffed out something. Of that I am sure.

Post a few photos of it if you have opportunity. (-:
Old 02-23-2016, 04:08 PM
CTK
Rennlist Member

CTK How did that turn out with the air compressor ? I have been spending the last couple of months in Florida, searching for that elusive item at various swap meets and badgering contacts I have made over the years. As well as escaping snow and cold and enjoying all things car related. Or Racing related. Or motorcycles and baseball. Sand. Some ocean life, and definitely eating some Gulf Shrimp. Daily. My helper HOBO isn't with me, or he would have already sniffed out something. Of that I am sure. Post a few photos of it if you have opportunity. (-:
No dice on the air compressor. Still searching. I may even check the PO garage again.

Michigan winter had been very mild and the 944 is tucked in nicely until about April.

I will definitely posts some pics in spring to show the car out and about and with its Pcar relatives.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:36 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I may not have made myself as clear as I should have.
My apologies if I misunderstood your intent/meaning.

Many mismatched and incorrect offsets and sizings were placed on our cars by those wishing to provide a different look or a wider, larger size. This process continues today in all it's varieties.
No argument here.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:37 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

CTK, did you ever make it back to the previous owner's garage ?

In search of that elusive air compressor ?

I am once again back in my spring, summer, fall home and near my cars...... If needed, I will run out to one of them and photo up some pix of that Air Compressor and the cardboard box that it came in from Porsche.

I attended many races, d.e.'s, car shows and swap meets in Florida this past winter, and didn't come across even one original equipment unit. In either the old, series one design which you need, OR the newer, more commonly seen unit in the hard plastic case which came with the series 2 cars.

How are things going otherwise with the restoration of your little gem ?
Old 03-26-2016, 09:48 PM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just read through this thread, wow the pictures and condition of this 944 are amazing.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:58 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Did you leave your vote on the 'Thread Rating' at the top of the page ?

I did. Tried to vote a couple of times......

but,
was denied that honor ! I did get one vote counted tho. /-;

Yes, it is ONE Beautiful 944 Normally Aspirated Sweetheart. The color is one thing, but man the condition and low mileage are truly incredible. I sure have to give credit where credit is due:

to the previous owner
to the CURRENT owner, who truly loves this car and is passionate about it's presence
And, to the mechanic and preserver of it. He has taken deliberate pain and patience to do it right.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:34 PM
CTK
Rennlist Member

MJG, thanks for the follow up.

After Easter I plan on meeting up with the prior owner and seeing if he will indulge me by letting me rummage through his garage for the V1 air compressor. I expect that any v1 air compressor may not operate or operate properly, but I would like to have it with the car.

I am also looking for a set of Fuchs for "go" and the ATS cookie cutter for show.

I may take it to the Michigan Porsche Parade in 2016.

I expect to put less than 500 miles on the car annually as I have other cars that I will drive and I have a 991.2 GT3 on order...assuming Porsche makes the .2 with a manual transmission. I would love to buy a 997.2 GT3 but the prices are still in the stratosphere and approaching or exceeding the price of a new one. Well, that's a topic for another thread.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:47 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

CTK
Porsche Parade is in Jay Peak, VT for 2016.

We were planning to go, but health issues for two family members make it questionable at this exact moment...... I will decide when it's close to the date. Maybe see you there !
Old 03-28-2016, 05:48 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

For your viewing pleasure : the elusive Series One Air pump / tire inflator, instructions and container.

I tried to include everything I could.
Except the 'purring' of the motor running and 'hissing of air' wouldn't fit on this page.

/-*}

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 03-28-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:08 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for the pictures MGJ, now I see I need to look for instructions plus the box I'm still looking for that ZVW327301 tire pressure gauge too. Just got the Blaupunkt radio manual off EBAY. The search continues
Old 03-28-2016, 08:57 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

As I looked at the box and again at these photos, do you all see what's pictured in the photo on the box ?

Do you see the image of a 1980 MGB Commemorative edition model on the box ?
Notice where the instructions say the parent company comes from ? ( or is there a London, Ontario ? )

Yes, 'jolly olde' .....

Does one suppose, just maybe, any of these were fitted in other makes and models ?

Does anyone have any knowledge of 80's British cars and what they contained along this line of air pump/tire compressor ?
Maybe there is another source of parts we should be looking at, or at least another cross section of availability for these elusive compressors as perhaps fitted in other vehicles besides a Porsche. Or Audi. Or VW ?

Quick Reply: 1983 Porsche 944 Garage find (29 yr hibernation)