Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1983 Porsche 944 Garage find (29 yr hibernation)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 11:15 PM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

MGJ,

I am very happy to meet you on the RL forums and I appreciate your 944 insight. It has been most helpful in my 944 restoration. I think you should pen a book on the 944. Other than using the forums, that's the best way to preserve your knowledge of these cars.

I'm looking at my 1983 Porsche 944 window sticker right now and I don't see a charge for Berber seats. Here are my charge options:

1. Sapphire Metallic Paint $445
2. Rear window wiper $240
3. Leather covered steering wheel $70
4. Anti-theft device for wheels $50
5. Alarm System $200

Total of $1,005 in factory installed options!

So, my car is power steering, Fuchs, and leather delete. Not sure what other options were available in 83 that are missing from my car. Not sure if power sunroof was an option in 83.

The "Electric tire pump" was standard equipment and mine is missing. So, if you find one, please call me. You have my number.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:51 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Steve - I think the early 944s were not available with power steering at all. I don't know for sure when this became standard equipment. Probably around 85. I'm sure MGJ will know the answer to this. What a wealth of knowledge!

Yes - a book would be a great idea, or at least a thread devoted to the car to capture little known facts and figures.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:56 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts

Power steering I think started on 1984 models. Before I bought my 83, I looked at an 84 and it had power steering.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:17 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Power steering I think started on 1984 models.
Correct...PS was standard beginning with MY84.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:49 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, I as well concur as to the power steering. I have never seen an '83 with it, but not saying the later built cars didn't have an option to include it.

On looking thru my dealer brochures for 1984, I note that the color and style of seats known as Berber tweed were an extra cost seat. Perhaps they were an even out delete/swap for the partial leather AND-OR an upgrade from the normal vinyl or cloth patterned or pinstripe seats some got in North America or Rest Of World or the ROW cars...... for the '82 and '83 cars ?
Thanks for the suggestions on writing a book. It would be perhaps quite thin ~ like about the thickness of a pad of post it notes. Sorry, a writer I am not.

As well on the sunroof. It was a manual roof only for the '82 and '83 cars.... '82s were available in Europe and elsewhere first, as we all know, and late intro came into North America sometime in late spring early summer of '82 with what were designated as '83 model cars. ( My July '82 built car was said to have been one of the first into America, arriving into the area between Denver and Colorado Springs. It is non power steering, manual sunroof, LSD, FUCHS -7 x 16, Sport Seats in black full leather. It is rumored it was used for dealer promotional and early Porsche ads in the states, but I am still substantiating that from the first owners and trying to find those photos if they exist. So far it's only hear-say and conjecture. )

On several other forums I have made a list as to the great number of KNOWN differences from these first cars and the later, standard equipment '84 and '85.1 vehicles which included the power actuated roof, the power steering , but the cost rising to that 21,000 dollar base price. The FUCHS wheels went from 7x16 optional over the 7x15 cast cookies and now made for the '84 cars as a staggered 7 and 8 by 15 inch option over the 7x15 inch cookies standard. Tire choices were Dunlop SP Sports and Pirelli P6 with a very small number of cars coming with Continentals. I think the Contis were more prevalent in the early cars. So far, all I have EVER seen on the inflatable spare wheel is a Vredestein tire. I think they were the only supplier for spare tire setups. Please correct me here if something else is ever found. Europeans ? What did you folks get ?

One quick honor and note.
Some of the VERY best writings ever on the 944s have been made by Bruce Anderson and Jim Pasha. Sadly both of these witty and charming, extremely knowledgeable folks have left our shores. If you have the opportunity to read any of their writings in previous EXCELLENCE or PANORAMA magazines, please absorb all they had to say on these cars. They were brilliant.
Today we have the likes of George Beuselinck to Thank for extreme levels of mechanical and thorough knowledge, and many more who I know are out there fanning the flames of 944 love. Albert Broadfoot builds some great engines and knows Racing the cars like a book. Mr. Smith from the panhandle of Florida builds some great Porsche engines and races these as well as customer cares for them.
AutoEdge in Mpls. has a sterling reputation for the brilliant work they do on race, chassis, engine setup and are LONGTIME competition gurus with a wide and respecting following.
To these guys and many others : Dave Derecola, John Straub, Alan Johnson Racing from San Diego way...... Hats off. YOU are the heroes. YOU are the guys to whom I humbly tip my hat.

There are many more.... I have just not had the opportunity to meet you yet. My deceased friends Jim and Bruce: How can we repay you for your diligent love for these brilliant cars ? Our words of thanks are hollow ~
Old 04-05-2016, 10:58 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

But you sell yourself short MGJ, you could write a book just about YOUR cars, since you own about 1/2 of them left! LOL

I enjoy your writing, if it does dome in measured short burst. Writing is about passion, and for P-cars, you have that in abundance.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:41 PM
519PMP
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a tremendous find!

The family of one of my high school friends acquired a Guards Red '84 944. We had a lot of fun in that car.
I even had my father talked into one until my mother nixed the deal.

Reading this thread has brought back some fond memories.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:18 PM
519PMP
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans

Notice where the instructions say the parent company comes from ? ( or is there a London, Ontario ? )
Yes there is a London, Ontario.
Webster Bros. manufactured a variety of products including metal airplane toys.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:02 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 519PMP
Yes there is a London, Ontario.
Webster Bros. manufactured a variety of products including metal airplane toys.
Thank YOU for that bit of information. Are they still in the manufacturing business ?

IF they are, would it be such a hard thing for them to retool and reproduce this product ? Put them up on the internet or notify us on these forums.

Imagine if there was a new source of supply for these air inflators instead of the aftermarket OR searching and not finding them on the secondary market or swap meets ? They could ask and get a pretty fair amount for the item, especially marketing to those who are showing their cars and don't have a good pump or one at all to display at a Concours.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:35 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

If Webster is unable or doesn't want to bother they should be able to whip up knockoff tire pumps in China for about $19.99
Old 04-13-2016, 09:57 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Steve:

I went thru one pile of stuff he had in an outbuilding and nothing showed up remotely looking like a tire air pump. There was stuff from multiple car partings and I had some issues with identifying what was Porsche 944 and what was Probe from 1990.

Am going back there maybe next weekend, as he has more storage in a huge facility he owns with his father in a close location to the first; repairing and rebuilding, bodywork and painting. I DID get a new old stock windshield from him to fit an early series one car. Thankfully it was still wrapped in it's cardboard box and in perfect condition. SCORE and into the hoard it goes !

(you should see this place. It would be known as the BATES Motel to Porsches; where apparently some go to die.)
Old 04-25-2016, 10:41 AM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Default First start for the 944 in yr 2016

Last Oct/Nov when I start started this project, I washed, clayed and rubbed out the car, but did not wax it. After 29yrs of being in garage storage, the car needed more detailing than I had time to do as the mechanic wanted to get started on the repairs.

So, after getting the car road worthy, I stored the car at my parents' over the winter as I am out of garage space at my house. Yesterday I went to my parents' house, re-clayed and rubbed out the car and then applied a coat of synthetic wax.

Now, the car looks great and best of all, after being on a battery maintainer all winter, the car started yesterday on the first try. I expected some exhaust smoke or loud lifter noise, but surprisingly there was none and no concerning noises.

I drove the car in the local middle school parking lot and it felt great. I didn't take it out for a long ride as I promised my kids that I would play ball with them.

Before I returned the car to the garage, I positioned the car in the street near my parents' house (based on my memory of seeing this car for the first time). So, now you have a Polaroid from my memory of how I met the car for the first time and why I fell in love with the car and color.

I will contact the prior owner and coordinating a day to pick him up and taking him for a ride.

More pics to follow.
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2016, 10:47 AM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Default More pics

More pics
Attached Images       
Old 04-26-2016, 10:40 AM
519PMP
6th Gear

Originally Posted by CTK
More pics
Stunning!
Old 05-12-2016, 02:00 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Steve,

Have you taken your neighbor, the prior owner of this car on that ride yet ?

Your car looks tremendous !

Quick Reply: 1983 Porsche 944 Garage find (29 yr hibernation)