Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1983 Porsche 944 Garage find (29 yr hibernation)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 05:35 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Wow! $27,000 Congratulations to buyer and seller.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:48 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

And Congratulations to BOTH the Buyer and Seller.

Sold for 27,000.00 , fees excluded.

I am both filled with Joy. And amazement.
And, mixed with a bit of sadness for not adding it to the group myself.

This figure is what I paid for my '84 - M456 in July of that year. Extrapolate the value of our dollar in 2016 worth and the 27 paid today is still a GREAT deal.

Well bought. Well sold.
A unique moment in time we saw transpire today ~
Old 08-04-2016, 06:02 PM
jimmyj
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that is awesome..childhood dreams met. Very happy for you. Enjoy your ride..
Old 08-05-2016, 12:12 AM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sale of the 944

As you can imagine, I have experienced a roller coaster of emotions today.

When I listed my 944 on BaT, no one, including myself or the guys at BaT ever thought my 944 would bring $17k, let alone $27k. That's the truth.

There was such a long span of time in my life where I just could not afford things and couldn't scratch any itch. So, after 25 years of wanting that 944, I was finally able to satisfy that 12 & 18 yr old boy in me. That's what was so emotional about this experience.

My journey is personal to me and I wouldn't change a thing. I draw strength from my struggles and I embrace challenges. That's what makes me successful now.

I am happy that I pursued the 944 and I am happy to let it go to a true enthusiast with the wherewithal to show the car around the country. That's what the car deserves.

In my hands, the car would stay garaged, under cover on a battery maintainer and in 5 yrs I would be replacing all the mechanical hardware again.

I contacted the prior owner today and told him about the sale. I hope he believes me when I say that my motives were never about a "flip" and the final sale price was a pure surprise. There were many other, very personal emotions at play here for me.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:38 AM
rmarzarell1
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CTK. I'm sure your emotions have been running wild as mine have been as merely a spectator. I must say, I don't follow your rationale about not keeping the vehicle. You obviously don't need the $ and I'm 95% sure the new owner of this vehicle will end up doing exactly what you're trying to avoid. Maybe show it at some events in the mean time. This is one of a handful of time capsule 944's and the only one you've known and dreamed of since you were a child. My dad was a car collector and passed 20 years ago when I was 27. He had a modest collection and my favorite was his 63 split window vet w all the right options. He had to sell his cars to pay for his treatments and I was just starting a family. My uncle bought the car for I believe $15,000, a fortune for me at the time. If the deal isn't done yet you still have time to undo it. It might cost you some $ but I know you won't regret it. One of your children will thank you in 50 years.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:02 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Good sale! You achieved your childhood dream and then made a handsome profit.

I've regretted selling almost every car I've owned, but I knew then and now that it was the right decision to move forward.

Life goes on, and another enthusiast gets to scratch their itch.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:07 PM
AlfaGTA
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New owner report

This fine car arrived to its new home in the Pacific NW last Friday via Intercity Lines. It looks great. Took it on a 10 mile drive Saturday, and all seems to work well. It has an appointment with the PDR guy next week.
A few questions for the group:
First, the old/original tires are severely flat from the car sitting on them for years while deflated. I'd like to be able to use them again, but only for driving onto a show field. Any thoughts or suggestions on the best way to do this?
Second, the original battery is available. I've read about ways to get it de-sulfated and revitalized. Does anyone have experience with this, or is such a process urban legend.
Last, I'm still looking for a primo air tire compressor in the black and yellow box. I found an excellent compressor, but the box is pretty beat up.
Thanks, all. I'll keep you updated periodically.
Bill
Old 09-12-2016, 12:47 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Congratulations on taking delivery of this vehicle. Truly a special car.

Regarding the tires - you could use tubes to assure they hold air. Whether this is something the judges would notice, or take off points, I can't say.

I have a compressor in good condition, in the blow-molded plastic case. It is black - not black and yellow. I can post photos if you are interested in seeing what it looks like.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:10 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations to both of you !
Old 09-12-2016, 03:10 PM
AlfaGTA
Instructor

Thanks on the compressor offer. The one needed is off-white and came in a cardboard box which is black and yellow. A photo is in post #193.
I've read about adding tubes. Another friend suggested mounting them, inflating them and putting them in a hot place for a while. Maybe I could hide them in a hot yoga studio.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:57 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

OK - that's not the same as the one I have. Mine is probably from around 85 or 86. It is the genuine Porsche accessory - but not the same as what you are looking for.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:26 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Bill

Indeed heartening news you are a happy guy with the whole deal !

Great speaking with you and hope you are able to work thru these small details.

I also have the original battery to my '84. It's made by VARTA and has Porsche script on the case. I have heard the same deal and believe the process occurs in Europe regarding the re-use of the case. I think it is only achievable if the lead inserts haven't began to touch together inside and short out internally. Let me know if you find out any more details. ( I keep mine merely as a memory; a sort of tribute to what the car was like the day I arrived at the dealership in July of '84 and drove it home. )
Old 09-15-2016, 11:40 AM
Intercity Lines
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thank You

Originally Posted by AlfaGTA
This fine car arrived to its new home in the Pacific NW last Friday via Intercity Lines. It looks great. Took it on a 10 mile drive Saturday, and all seems to work well. It has an appointment with the PDR guy next week.
A few questions for the group:
First, the old/original tires are severely flat from the car sitting on them for years while deflated. I'd like to be able to use them again, but only for driving onto a show field. Any thoughts or suggestions on the best way to do this?
Second, the original battery is available. I've read about ways to get it de-sulfated and revitalized. Does anyone have experience with this, or is such a process urban legend.
Last, I'm still looking for a primo air tire compressor in the black and yellow box. I found an excellent compressor, but the box is pretty beat up.
Thanks, all. I'll keep you updated periodically.
Bill

Bill,

Thank you for the post and thank you for your business. We are extremely happy to be able to assist in getting this wonderful 944 to it's new home! We look forward to many more posts regarding the car and hopefully any future transports.
1-800-221-3936 x205
jim@intercitylines.com
www.intercitylines.com

'69 MBZ 6.3
'16 Cayenne
'32 Ford highboy, Cadillac powered
Old 10-03-2016, 01:38 AM
AlfaGTA
Instructor

Thought I could use this thread to give updates on the continuing resurrection of the car.
The PDR guy did a great job on all the door dents and the hood.
I spent part of today replacing the hood pads. The originals were falling apart and leaving debris all over the engine, so saving them was not really an option. I ordered Porsche parts. The passenger side looked like the original but the driver side had a different pattern in the foam, plus a hole that wasn't in the old one.

I had a pad I'd previously ordered from mercedessource.com for my 240D, so I retrieved it with the idea that I'd cut out a patch for the hole. When I looked at it the pattern seemed very close to the old ones and the passenger side. Using the new piece as a pattern I cut a replacement out of the Mercedes pad. Contact cement supplied with the MB pad worked great.

The color is very slightly different, but less noticeable in person than in the picture. Getting all the sticky stuff off from the old pads was quite a chore. 3M adhesive remover worked reasonably well, but the stuff just balled up as I used the plastic scraper--it never fell off. I had to pick the individual sticky *****. Very tedious.

Anyway, all looks pretty good now. Next tasks involve cleaning the engine compartment further and repainting/replating bits and pieces.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We get questioned about the difference in pattern all the time. The insulation we sell is OEM so a decent savings over Porsche. We even bought a set directly from Porsche and it's the same thing...just more $.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com

Quick Reply: 1983 Porsche 944 Garage find (29 yr hibernation)