Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1983 Porsche 944 Garage find (29 yr hibernation)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 01:00 PM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

I checked out Clarks-Garage. There is a ton of info on there. Thanks for the heads up.

I also reviewed the owner's manual for tire/rim sizes (see attached). The owners manual lists tire and rim sizes, but not the correct offset. Also, Clark's-Garage lists the option codes for different wheels, but again not the OEM offset.

I will likely follow Carrara51's offset advice. I am surprised that 944 Fuchs are so expensive. 911 owners much be using them and driving up the prices.

I found on my local craigslist, an 84' 944 that doesn't run very for $1,500 and it has OEM Fuchs. I am inclined to buy the car for the wheels and get them refurbished and then use the car, assuming there are good parts, as a donor car for my 944.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2015, 10:05 PM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Default Starting my 1983 Porsche 944 after 29 yr storage

Sorry its taken so long to post an update. We tried starting the car weeks ago and discovered that the fuel rail was fine, but that the injectors were not working properly. So, we sent the fuel injectors in to get rebuilt as my mechanic said that we could keep the original injectors and get them rebuild for a fraction of the price of new ones and the original ones were authentic from the factory.

So, on 12/18/2015, we installed the new injectors and the engine fired right up. We previously installed a new water pump and timing belt and noticed that the coolant wasnt getting past the thermostat initially, so my mechanic kept squeezing the hose to the water pump and the thermostat finally opened.

You will see that there was a lot of smoke from the exhaust, which is normal after sitting for a while.

You will also notice in the video below the buzzing noise, which is from the drivers door being open and the car running.

I ordered and installed new Pirelli P6000 tread (N2 Porsche OEM spec tire stock) and had the ATS cookie cutter wheels refinished to remove the corrosion.

So, the car runs, no leaks, the retractable lights work, hazards, power windows, radio, heater blower, and even the power antenna worked! It was all a very nice surprise.

The car will stay in the shop and get some new ball joints and rubber bits such as motor mounts and brake lines. Once all needed items are updated, then the car will be stored (again) until April when the Michigan winter thaws.

This has been a fun project and I am happy that I sent the initial letter to the prior owner. I look forward to driving the car to him so he can see it running again. I was contacted by Pano magazine and they may do an article on the car. It would be fun to include the prior owner in the article.

Enjoy the pics.
Attached Images     

Last edited by CTK; 12-19-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:12 PM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Here are the videos of starting the car and it running. Sorry in advance, as the videos suck. I'm an amateur video taker, was in a hurry to get back to the office and didn't narrative the videos at all.

Also, the original spark plugs were cleaned and reinstalled. One of the pics was intended to show the audio antenna (dirty hood). I turned on the radio (AM/FM) and it worked just fine. Now i need to find some of my 1980's tape decks....Beastie Boys....

Attached Images   
Old 12-18-2015, 11:29 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The results look very good !

Tell us about the restoration effort on the cookies..... Did you get the tire stem support standards back from the restorer ? They are, or WERE available new from Porsche parts at one time, and just glue back on with double stick tape pads supplied with the supports. But aren't all that cheap. It would have been nice had the restorer given them back or reapplied them.

Their purpose is to keep the valve stem from distorting at speed when hot and causing the tire to deflate. Definitely something to keep you safe and the car rubber side down.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:05 PM
CTK
Rennlist Member

MGJ

The wheel restorer removed the original tires (which I kept) and then dips each wheel in a solution, which removes all dirt, paint, corrosion, etc. Then the entire wheel is painted a gloss black and then the front lip is "machined" to remove the black paint from the lip.

I'm told that the value stem support guides fall off into the pool of solution, never to be retrieved. So, I ordered new ones.

The finish on these ATS wheels was much less involved than what went into the FUCHS.

Regarding the tires, I initially found a set of Pirelli "N1" spec P6000 tires for the car off of ebay from an unknown tire wholeseller. I noticed that TireRack sold an "N2" set for about $150 more. So, I initially ordered the N1 set and asked that I be told date of mfg (DOT). Before the seller shipped the tires they called me to tell me that the tires had a DOT of year 2008. So, I cancelled the order and ordered the set from TireRack for $150 more. Its more than i wanted to spend on tires, but i wanted a newer set and also wanted to keep it as stock as possible. Pirelli P6000 N2 Spec tires for the 944 ran $900 + shipping. You could also order a set of General or Continental tires for $350, but they are not stock for the car.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:36 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

So does the restorer put back on the original looking , thick plastic type of coating on the lathe cut edging on the wheel rim ?

What is the product they use ?

The only other o.e. tire that I ever saw when these cars were built, was the tire which came on my '84 - M456 / 944 I bought new and it was the Dunlop SP Sport. They were as hard as hockey pucks right out of the factory and had zero grip compared to what everyone was switching over to : Yokohama A-008, 008 Rs, TUs, and BFG Comp T/A R compounds. THOSE tires stuck. And were quiet; something the old P6 and Sports could never aspire to.

Hate to say it, but the Pirelli P6 had the same reputation back in the day and those who were autocrossing them or running them at DE track days referred to them with loathing as "Repellis". My brother had them on his '84 GTI he bought the same year and when I drove it, could feel the scrub on Front wheel drive vs. the RWD in the '44. Tire squeal ?..... YES in ear deafening levels of discomfort.
Hope the new Pirellis are much better.... they should be after 30 years of development, and for as many cars the old P6's destroyed; as much complaining they generated. /-;}

( by the way I kept my original 'dumb-flops' as well. Just to remember how much they were despised by me )
Old 12-19-2015, 07:36 PM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
So does the restorer put back on the original looking , thick plastic type of coating on the lathe cut edging on the wheel rim ? What is the product they use ? The only other o.e. tire that I ever saw when these cars were built, was the tire which came on my '84 - M456 / 944 I bought new and it was the Dunlop SP Sport. They were as hard as hockey pucks right out of the factory and had zero grip compared to what everyone was switching over to : Yokohama A-008, 008 Rs, TUs, and BFG Comp T/A R compounds. THOSE tires stuck. And were quiet; something the old P6 and Sports could never aspire to. Hate to say it, but the Pirelli P6 had the same reputation back in the day and those who were autocrossing them or running them at DE track days referred to them with loathing as "Repellis". My brother had them on his '84 GTI he bought the same year and when I drove it, could feel the scrub on Front wheel drive vs. the RWD in the '44. Tire squeal ?..... YES in ear deafening levels of discomfort. Hope the new Pirellis are much better.... they should be after 30 years of development, and for as many cars the old P6's destroyed; as much complaining they generated. /-;} ( by the way I kept my original 'dumb-flops' as well. Just to remember how much they were despised by me )
Unfortunately, I couldn't find anyone, anywhere, that puts the plastic coating on the machined lip. I'm told that the plastic traps-in moisture and debris.

Regarding the tires, I'm sure I could have found better sticky tires for DE or auto cross, but this car will likely never see any of those events.

I plan on detailing it to a high level in the spring and taking it to events. Other than that, I plan on looking at it in my garage next too it's Porsche siblings!

I will continue to share pics of the other repairs being done and appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. Mass collaboration is crucial to any restoration.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:39 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CTK

I plan on detailing it to a high level in the spring and taking it to events. Other than that, I plan on looking at it in my garage next too it's Porsche siblings!
As it should be with this spectacular find...... to use it up would be a shame, as the 'special-ness' of this particular car lies directly in it's past, preservation, and second chance at life as given back to it by you.

Only one word of caution about the plugs : many have written of the safety aspects of using the original Bosch Platinum plugs and reported there have been instances of pieces of the plug tips actually chipping off and scoring a cylinder wall.
I have changed them out to what originally came with each car and never had a problem with this particular incident personally; just sharing some of the info I have read on various forums or heard from others at the track. Some forums recommend the O.E. Bosch, some the NGK, but no one seems happy with Champions. ( Am sure this will re-ignite a voracious tete' a tete' )

Curiously I just read an article in our local PCA club newsletter this month about the cleaning and reusing of old plugs and the suggestion was not to do so. I do it on some of my old muscle cars or oil burning winter beaters, but have never done it with any of my Porsches. They get new plugs periodically whether they came to me with Bosch Platinum or NGK Copper.

Of course, with all things personal, your mileage may vary ( YMMV )

Keep up the GREAT work. I always enjoy coming to this Forum and reading about your beautiful car. It is a day brightener for sure......
Old 12-20-2015, 11:22 AM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
As it should be with this spectacular find...... to use it up would be a shame, as the 'special-ness' of this particular car lies directly in it's past, preservation, and second chance at life as given back to it by you. Only one word of caution about the plugs : many have written of the safety aspects of using the original Bosch Platinum plugs and reported there have been instances of pieces of the plug tips actually chipping off and scoring a cylinder wall. I have changed them out to what originally came with each car and never had a problem with this particular incident personally; just sharing some of the info I have read on various forums or heard from others at the track. Some forums recommend the O.E. Bosch, some the NGK, but no one seems happy with Champions. ( Am sure this will re-ignite a voracious tete' a tete' ) Curiously I just read an article in our local PCA club newsletter this month about the cleaning and reusing of old plugs and the suggestion was not to do so. I do it on some of my old muscle cars or oil burning winter beaters, but have never done it with any of my Porsches. They get new plugs periodically whether they came to me with Bosch Platinum or NGK Copper. Of course, with all things personal, your mileage may vary ( YMMV ) Keep up the GREAT work. I always enjoy coming to this Forum and reading about your beautiful car. It is a day brightener for sure......
MGJ, that's helpful information and good to know about the spark plugs. I will replace with new ones (retain the original ones) out of an abundance of caution.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:16 PM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Default 1983 Porsche 944 Garage Find - Taking her home!

I know its been a while since my last post. Sorry, I have been busy with work and home and the 944 was largely waiting on parts before it could be completed.

My 1983 Porsche 944 received it's final repairs last Saturday (1/9/2016) and I drove the car home that evening. The car is running perfectly and maintaining good temperatures and oil pressure. The weather that day was a toasty 45 degrees here in Michigan. So, I filled up the gas tank with premium Shell fuel and drove the car home. I then washed it and placed a battery maintainer on the battery and once again put her away for a few months until the Michigan winter flaws.

Attached are various pics of the recent repairs. My Mechanic, RL username: Eniac, has been awesome. He owns Autocore in Warren Michigan and I highly recommend that local Porsche/BMW car guys to take their cars there for repairs as he is truly competent and respectful to client cars and respectfully took steps to make sure that he retained original parts where possible and returned the compromised original parts to me keep as part of my car's history.

The first pic shows pieces of green carpet in the shift boot area. We found this and it was likely from a chipmunk. If you recall, in this thread, a few pages ago, there is a pic of the same green carpet next to the original battery too. It was likely placed there by a chipmunk and serving as a nest for its young. There was no evidence of chewed wires or other bits, which you would expect to see if the critter was a mouse.

You will also see some pics of the ball joints, motor mounts and brake lines.

Now that the car is finished, I plan on taking the original owner for a ride in the spring and then taking the car to some local concurs events. More than anything I am happy to be the current custodian of this car.
Attached Images          
Old 01-13-2016, 11:50 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

What is that next to it in the garage , hiding under the other 'green carpet' ?

0:}

Can't wait to see your car in person.....

Our local PCA region, Nord Stern, has two Porsche Car shows , one in June at Roseville Park and a new show at Afton Hills called AutoLieben. I plan to drive the 300 miles one way with my latest find to both events.

Want to meet there and participate ? It should be a tremendous opportunity to show your car ( as well as mine ). The latest find for me is a 1986 N/A in White with color matched FUCHS alloys and burgundy Sport Seats with the seldom seen Sport Touring package. It has 28,000 original miles all put on by a very conscientious and caring owner. These two cars sitting side by side would be sure to knock the crowd for a good one, giving fellow participants a real run for the money. IF you are interested, send me a pm and I will get you the dates and times.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:49 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kudos to a thoughtful owner and Eniac (Stephen) who always does a great job.

This will be a great concours car and our region has some good experienced particpants in that area.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:59 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 130 Posts

Great story. Glad to see the car back on the road.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:19 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

CTK

Great talking with you today. We will stay in touch.... any help I may be , feel free to ask and I will return the favor. Likewise, I hope to use your car as well as a reference source and will follow your path you take with it.

Again, what a beautiful story to see this brought into the present with a good owner and a caring attitude towards it's ultimate survival.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:49 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

I like the picture in front of the gas pump, the cracked concrete helps give it a timeless look.

Quick Reply: 1983 Porsche 944 Garage find (29 yr hibernation)